Recruitment Closed: DnD 4e: Tomb of (Possibly Sexual) Horrors

Started by NotoriusBEN, July 24, 2010, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Ixy on July 26, 2010, 12:48:45 AM
First complete draft of a paladin, sans history writeup and personality traits/description.  http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/2330
Probably will re-try as a human, but we'll see.  Suggestions are appreciated-- particularly with powers.

If it were me, I'd give up on trying to beef up both strength and charisma.  Pick one or the other, there are sufficient powers for both strength paladins and charisma paladins.  Then use the rest of your stat points on stuff like wisdom, say, to get the rider effects of your powers.

At least, that's what I'd look into doing if I were making a paladin from first.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Kunoichi

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on July 25, 2010, 08:09:42 PM
while we are on the topic of backgrounds,

make sure to mention which one you pick, since I've noticed orokos adds the bonus, but doesnt say which background granted it.

Hmm.  Looks like that might be another thing I'll need to get some help looking into, since I think that out of the books I've got, only the Eberron Player's Guide has any backgrounds in it... Never mind.  I found a few in PHB2 as well, and picked one from there. ^^;

Quote from: The Alchemist on July 25, 2010, 05:59:17 PM
Yes, I'm being a tiefling artificer. Something tells me that the group might need a good supply of healing, just in case ;)

Well, I'm already playing a Warlord, and I picked up a few items to help me be a better healer, but I certainly won't turn down any help on that front. ^^ After all, it means I'll be able to better focus on being right there in the middle of things and getting everybody else in place to smack the badguys around.

Isengrad

Ixy, check out this link here for information on building a paladin

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649038/Pillars_of_Faith_(and_Facestabs):_The_Paladins_Handbook

as far as power selection goes. I would switch out an at will for enfeebling for feat synergy with raven queen devotee, the +2 to intimidate is fine but there are other feats that can do that.

Take a look at the guide, it pretty much breaks down the class pretty well

original artwork by karabiner

Ixy

Quote from: Isengrad on July 26, 2010, 09:16:49 AM
Ixy, check out this link here for information on building a paladin

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19649038/Pillars_of_Faith_(and_Facestabs):_The_Paladins_Handbook

as far as power selection goes. I would switch out an at will for enfeebling for feat synergy with raven queen devotee, the +2 to intimidate is fine but there are other feats that can do that.

Take a look at the guide, it pretty much breaks down the class pretty well

I was pretty tired and tipsy when I finished this draft late last night, but I swear I thought that Raven Queen Devotee was a prerequisite for a nifty power... but now I can't remember what it was.  :/  Alright-- thanks for suggestions.  I will keep working, and may submit a fighter too before the day's end.  (I'm really hoping to make a 'damage sponge', since every part needs one and it's simple enough, until I'm more familiar with in-practice combat).

Isengrad

just take a look at the optimization forums there, the fighters can be absolutely brutal with their attacks and defenses

Kunoichi

Reading through the guide, it seems like Paladins of either variety can do the 'damage sponge' thing particularly well out of all the different defenders, with the Strength-based route as an option for damage, and the Charisma-based route making them into secondary Leaders.  Considering the current party makeup and the adventure we're going on, I can see either option being equally-useful, so I say go for whichever one sounds like more fun to you. ^^

According to The Fighter Handbook, meanwhile, Fighters are apparently known for being the hardest-hitting defenders out there, with a wide variety of different build options available to them.  It looks like you've got plenty of choices for building the sort of character you want to build, which is always a good thing.

Ironwolf85

hmmmm... do we have a rouge? never played one before
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Kunoichi

No, we don't.  We could certainly use someone to take care of traps and so on, though.

Dirty Deeds... Done Dirt Cheap: The Rogues Handbook might be of help to you. ^^

Isengrad

no i don't think we do, someone to disarm traps would be wonderful... the Ranger I made can do it with dungeonering.. but hes a backup character

edit:Im happy to see you getting a lot of use out of the optimization forum kunoichi ^^

Ironwolf85

the party seems balanced without me... hmmm... what to pick...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Isengrad

as it is were gonna have two leaders, two controllers(unless i switch to ranged striker), a dedicated Defender.. and you, a melle striker would even out the bunch.

Kunoichi

We could certainly use another Defender or another Striker. ^^; Aside from that there aren't any other factors to take into account, though, so you're free to play quite the selection of different classes.

Ironwolf85

a Brutal Rouge it is....
the idea of a warforged rouge... "I'm just fighting the most effecent way I know"...

found a pic!
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/images/113396/Warforged_m4.jpg
or

Sul Cypher
Male Warforged Rogue
Level 9
Good
Representi6g Iron wolf 85
Strength   16   (+3)
Constitution   14   (+2)
Dexterity   20   (+5)
Intelligence   8   (-1)
Wisdom   10   (+0)
Charisma   12   (+1)
   Height:   6' 6"
Weight:   300 lb
Skin:   Blue
Eyes:   Amber
Hair:   None

Maximum Hit Points: 64
Bloodied: 32
Surge Value: 16
Surges / Day: 7 [includes constitution modifier]

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
Initiative:   1d20 +12   = 4 [half level] + 4 [dexterity] + 4 [improved initiative]
Base Strength Attack:   1d20 +7   = + 4 [half level] + 3 [strength]
Base Dexterity Attack:   1d20 +9   = + 4 [half level] + 5 [dexterity]
Base Constitution Attack:   1d20 +6   = + 4 [half level] + 2 [constitution]
Base Intelligence Attack:   1d20 +3   = + 4 [half level] - 1 [intelligence]
Base Wisdom Attack:   1d20 +4   = + 4 [half level] + 0 [wisdom]
Base Charisma Attack:   1d20 +5   = + 4 [half level] + 1 [charisma]
Armor Class:   25   = 10 + 4 [half level] + 5 [dexterity] + 4 [enchanted leather]
Fortitude Defense:   16   = 10 + 4 [half level] + 2 [strength]
Reflex Defense:   20   = 10 + 4 [half level] + 2 [rogue] + 4 [dexterity]
Will Defense:   16   = 10 + 4 [half level] + 2 [charisma]
Armor: Leather (15 lb)

Shield: None
Attacks:
Unarmed Melee: +6 [base strength attack] vs AC; damage 1[W]=1d4+2 [strength bonus]
Daggers (x2): +10 vs AC [+6 strength attack] [+3 proficiency][+1 rogue weapon talent]; damage 1[W]=1d4+2 [strength bonus] 1 lb (Light blade); usable off-hand; light throwable
        Thrown: range 5/10 +12 vs AC [+8 dexterity attack] [+3 proficient, +1 rogue weapon talent]; damage 1d4+4 [dexterity bonus];
    Add +1 damage for Weapon Focus -- Light Blade
Short sword: +9 vs AC [+6 strength attack] [+3 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d6+2 [strength bonus] 2 lb (Light blade) Usable Off-hand
    Add +1 damage for Weapon Focus -- Light Blade
Hand crossbow: +10 vs AC [+8 dexterity attack] [+2 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d6+4 [dexterity bonus] range 10/20 2 lb (Crossbow) Load free
Riposte Strike +8w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
Sly Flourish +8w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
Torturous Strike +8w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
Blinding Barrage +8w [base dexterity attack] vs AC
Topple Over +10w [base dexterity attack + strength modifier] vs ACDeep Cut +8w [base dexterity attack] vs fortitude
Imperiling Strike +8w [base dexterity attack] vs fortitude
Knockout +8w [base dexterity attack] vs fortitude
w Weapon-based power. Apply adjustments for proficiency, situation, feats, magic, etc.
Base Saving Throw: d20 vs 10
Encumberance 4e
Normal Load:
Heavy Load:
Maximum Drag Load   150 lb.
300 lb.
750 lb.
   Encumberance 3.5
Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:   66 lb. or less
67-133 lb.
134-200 lb.
200 lb.
400 lb.
1000 lb.

Languages:   Common;
Rituals Known:
Skills:
Acrobatics:   +13   = 4 [dexterity] + 4 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Arcana:   +4   = 0 [intelligence] + 4 [half level]
Athletics:   +11   = 2 [strength] + 4 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Bluff:   +11   = 2 [charisma] + 4 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Diplomacy:   +6   = 2 [charisma] + 4 [half level]
Dungeoneering:   +10   = 1 [wisdom] + 4 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Endurance:   +7   = 1 [constitution] + 4 [half level] + 2 [Warforged]
Heal:   +5   = 1 [wisdom] + 4 [half level]
History:   +4   = 0 [intelligence] + 4 [half level]
Insight:   +5   = 1 [wisdom] + 4 [half level]
Intimidate:   +8   = 2 [charisma] + 4 [half level] + 2 [Warforged, per EPH]
Nature:   +5   = 1 [wisdom] + 4 [half level]
Perception:   +5   = 1 [wisdom] + 4 [half level]
Religion:   +4   = 0 [intelligence] + 4 [half level]
Stealth:   +13   = 4 [dexterity] + 4 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Streetwise:   +6   = 2 [charisma] + 4 [half level]
Thievery:   +13   = 4 [dexterity] + 4 [half level] + 5 [class training]
Feats:
Blade Opportunist   
Quick draw
Nimble Blade   
Two Weapon Fighting   
Weapon Focus -- Light Blade   
At-Will:
Basic Melee Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+2 [strength bonus] [standard action]
Basic Ranged Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+4 [dexterity bonus] [standard action]
Bull Rush: +6 [base strength attack] vs fortitude [standard action]
Grab: +6 [base strength attack] vs reflex [standard action]
Move grabbed target: +6 [base strength attack] vs fortitude [standard action]
Escape: +13 [acrobatics] vs reflex / +11 [athletics] vs fortitude [move action]
Riposte Strike [Level 1]
Sly Flourish [Level 1]
Chameleon [Level 6 Utility][immediate interrupt]
Other Standard Actions:   Administer a potion; Aid another [see online revision] ; Charge [+1 to basic melee attack or bull rush]; Coup de grace; Equip / stow shield; Ready an action; Total defense; Sustain standard action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics -- fast escape; Bluff, Heal -- first aid (use second wind DC10, stabilize the dying DC15, grant a saving throw DC15), Intimidate, Thievery depending on circumstances);
Other Move Actions:   Crawl; Run [speed 8]; Stand up; Shift; Squeeze; Walk; may include some skills during combat (i.e., Acrobatics, Athletics); half of a Double Move (if taken in place of a standard action)
Other Minor Actions:   Draw / sheathe weapon; Drink a potion; Drop prone; Load a crossbow; Open / close a door; Pick up an item; Retrieve / stow an item; Perception -- active (as per revision), Sustain minor action; Some skills during combat (i.e., Insight)
Other Immediate Action:   Readied action
Other Opportunity Action:   Opportunity attack
Other Free Actions:   Drop held items; End a grab; Talk
Other Non-Actions:   Delay; Endurance checks; Insight to counter Bluff; Knowledge checks; Perception -- passive
Short rest:   Healing surges as available
Five minutes:   Normal escape from restraints (Acrobatics)
One hour:   Forage; Streetwise check
Encounter Powers:
Second Wind
Spend an Action Point [free action, not in surprise round]
Warforged Resolve [Warforged][minor action]
Torturous Strike [Level 1]
Quick Fingers [Level 2 Utility][minor action]
Topple Over [Level 3]
Imperiling Strike [Level 7]
Daily Powers:
Blinding Barrage [Level 1]
Deep Cut [Level 5]
Knockout [Level 9]
Warforged (see Dragon 264 and Eberron for feats, paths, etc.)
•   +2 Strength, +2 Constitution (already included)
•   +2 Endurance, +2 intimidate (per EPG), +2 on saves vs. ongoing damage
•   Living Construct (see Monster Manual)
•   Unsleeping Watcher -- four hours of inactivity is an extended rest, during which the character can keep watch for danger)
•   Warforged Resolve (when bloodied, gain 3 + level/2 temporary hp; see Monster Manual)
•   Warforged Mind: +1 on Will defense
•   On death saving throws, take the better of your die roll or 10.
•   May be genderless or assume a male or female personality.
Rogue
•   First Strike
•   Rogue Weapon Talent
•   This rogue chose the rogue weapon talent [PH1].
•   This rogue chose the brutal scoundrel style. Remember to add your strength modifier to sneak attack damage.
•   Sneak Attack [+2d6 at level 9] [once per round with combat advantage]

Sul Cypher's Equipment:
Crossbow bolts (quiver of 20) x1
Backpack
Caltrops
Crowbar
Everburning torch
Flint and steel
Grappling hook
Pouch (belt) x1
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Sunrods x2
Waterskins x1
Holy symbol (wooden)
Thieves' tools

Total
Magic items:
Weapon: short sword of lightning +2 (Daily, shock all enemies within 2 squares for 2d6)
Weapon: short sword of frost+2 (Daily +2d8 cold damage, target slowed.)
Armor: Darkleather armor+2 (gain +4 AC bonus against first attack from every encounter)
Arms: bracers of mighty striking(lvl 2) (+2 dam per hit)
Hands: burglar’s gloves (+1 on all thievery checks… freaking cheap too)
Neck: Cloak or Resistance +1 (lvl 3) (daily gain 5 Dam resistance till end of encounter)
Waist: Ironskin belt (Daily: resist 5 weapon damage till end of turn.)
   Healing potions: 2
   Gold remaining: 472 gp 3cp

Kunoichi

Well, if you could use a site like Orokos or Myth Weavers, that would certainly be a little easier on the eyes... ^^;

Plus, your items seem to have been chosen as though you were a first-level character.  At level 9, you get the item choices Ben outlined in the opening post in this thread.

Ironwolf85

Ironwolf85

I just wanted to get the basic stuff up before I forgot it.
gotta make equipment too... gotta dig up my 4E books... my gamer group hasn't touched them since discovering pathfinder

Kunoichi

You might also want to go over your feats and ability scores a bit, as well. ^^; If you're going the Brutal Scoundrel route, then you don't really need Charisma above 10 or so...

Ironwolf85

I see your point...
I bought a bunch of the basic 4E books, but I got a lot of long time gamers who didn't like 4e much.
so we discovered Pathfiner which is a bit like the way people wish 4e had been.
the things been a great system
but those 4e books have been sitting in my bookbag collecting dust, it's nice to break them out again after all the money I put into them.

Kunoichi

Yeah, I know the feeling. ^^; My own group simply refused to convert altogether...

Ironwolf85

pathfinder is the only game that made everyone happy... it was suprising.
no... not gonna ramble on about it... they should pay me for advertising like this.
anyway I was assuming chrisma also translated into appearance

Isengrad

no, appearance is all together separate.. charisma translates more into force of personality in the D&D world.  Thats why bards and paladins can key off of it, its their strength of character, their personality that lends them their power.

Kunoichi

Besides, Warforged all generally look the same. :P

Isengrad

same basic body type canbe there, but attachments and body modifications are always possible, thats the thing about warforged.. find a crazy enough artificer.. and you can make a new man or woman out of yourself.

and for the hell of it I made a hybrid seeker/ranger as well.. hes pretty badass

Ironwolf85

thinking of the song "I'll make a man out of you" from mulan....

Kunoichi

And that reminds me of the time someone put that song to some appropriate Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann footage.  It was certainly a pretty badass AMV. ^^

By the way, Ironwolf, if you built the first iteration of your character in the Character Builder, you should know that Orokos.com will let you load the save file for that directly onto their site...