News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Eurovision Songcontest 2011

Started by Dashenka, May 13, 2011, 10:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

This week saw the return of the Songcontest, hosted by previous winners Germany. Lena won in 2010 in Norway with a catchy tune and Germany is sending her into the pit again to compete this year as well.

After seeing the first semi final I was pleased that most songs I liked were through. My only shock was that Norway didn't make it and Greece did. Countries sending in utter rubbish like Armenia, Turkey and Croatia finally failed at the semi finals, most likely with the influence of a jury system again. So fully confident of no negative surprises I sat down to watch the second semi final and much to my dismay, most of the songs were the same up tempo, all the same songs. So I thought that the jury would vote for the quality of the singers since that was the only thing that really seperated all the songs. Now again, most of my favorites made it to the final but I was absolutely shocked and stunned and whatever else on bad things you can think of that two good songs sang by good singers, the Netherlands and Belarus lost it to some clowns act from Moldova, a hyperactive bunch of imbeciles from Ireland and two very poor songs from Bosnia and Ukraine.

Now countries which usually made it pretty far on friend votes are Israel, Turkey, Poland, Armenia and the entire balcan area. The first four are out because frankly, their songs were dull and boring and with Croatia and the FYROM out as well, even those countries won't be able to shock vote their neighbours (at least not as blatently obvious as before).

All in all, the best songs I heard and the ones I really think have a good chance are the song from Azerbaijan and the ones from Denmark and Sweden. What are your thoughts on Eurovision and this years entrees?

Concludingly, even with a jury and even though the best song will probably win, Eurovision Songcontest will always shock and awe.

See you next year from Baku!
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Lilias

Belarus was nixed because patriotism with nothing else doesn't go down well in Eurovision. Not even with a hot chick belting it.

As for next year... my money would be on Reykjavik, Budapest, Helsinki or Tallinn.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Kristine

Unfortunately EuroVision is all about politics usually and less about music at all...
I didn't watch the second day fully, only just few songs. I guess I liked Denmark and the first day's winner was Georgia for me. (Saying this NOT because I am from Georgia).

I don't know...
Eurovision is not known for high quality music anyway... Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix would fail in this contest, cause majority of target audience for this contest are teenagers who need just catchy tune, drive and hot chicks on the stage...

That's why I think Georgia was good. Their song is catchy, memorable, has drive and the girl is pretty, but at the other hand, Georgia has not so big immigrant population in other European countries to get the votes, and most people would vote according to political views anyways. So no chance for Georgia.

I guess Denmark will win.

consortium11

I thought the Armenian song was amazing...

That said I'm pretty disappointed with the entrants this year. There's normally a fairly few mad songs each year that really stick out... last year had the Greek entry, the Lithuanian entry (which sadly went out at the semi-finals), the Romanian entry and the Serbian entry. This year... not so much... from both semi finals and what I've heard of the other entries nothing jumps out at me.

As always I'll watch Eurovision with friends, get rather drunk due to the various drinking games and generally sarcastically laugh at the music, performances and voting while having a prettygood time.

Zealously Jaded

I haven't watched any of the semis I didn't want to spoil the amazing night that is Eurovision :D I'm from the UK I honestly haven't heard their song, can't be worse then the ones we had in the last few years.

The Denmark song is good, oh and the Graham Norton is hilarious.

Nico

I watch it because it's funny. I don't care about the politics behind. It is just nice to watch.

Dashenka

Same here. I don't believe in political votes anymore with the new system and I think the best song always won.

It's just a fun thing to watch.

After seeing it again, I think Azerbaijan, Denmark or Sweden are likely to win.

Zealously Jaded

I voted for Denmark, Ireland and Moldova.

Dashenka

Moldova? Why?

I liked Serbia too...

Lilias

I make a point of watching the semis, for all those songs who don't make it to the final and will never be seen again. Some of them are way too good. I always buy the CD as well (I started in 2003, and I'm watching out for older ones to reappear on Amazon.)

I'm not rooting for anyone this year, and there are several countries that will make me glad if they win.

On another note, the Slovene chick's boots are going to cause shoegasms to several of our members... >:)
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Dashenka

Hate to say it but...

I told you so...

:)

Baku isn't too bad :)

Lilias

You don't hate to say it at all :P

Baku isn't bad, but the song was weak at best. Still, not the first time, not the last.
~Wendell Berry

Dashenka

Hahaha okay maybe I don't.

She wasn't the best singer but all in all I did like the song, it's not only about the best singers. I didn't like Italy but still it scored high... I think Azerbaijan is the right winner.

Kendra

I've watched it every year since I was ten years old and I adore it - the pomp, the circumstance - everything ... at least I did up until countries stopped voting for a somewhat decent song and voted for their neighbour. There were actually some rather decent songs this year which was surprising compared to the rubbish we've been getting of late. I genuinely thought that Slovenia and Germany had a good chance, their songs were quite good and I loved the French guy - but saying that I worked a really long day and ended up going to the  EuroV party at our club which was crazy - so after a few glasses of vino - even the two hyperactive imbeciles from my country sounded pretty good to me ;)

Lilias

I think Jedward achieved exactly what they were supposed to. Ireland is desperate not to win, since it can't afford to host the contest again, but on the other hand, it wants to place well, since a seven-time winner can't really keep sending clunkers like Dustin the Turkey *winces* The country got a decent result, the hyperactive imbeciles will get a chart hit, and everyone is happy.
~Wendell Berry