News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Interest Check: A Battletech game (MUL)

Started by The American Patriot, July 21, 2008, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The American Patriot

Quote from: Anathanasia on August 23, 2008, 03:14:13 PM
The one thing I'm missing from that online character generator is the additional lifepath stuff. The book is so limited, I miss the variety. :P

I'm sticking with the same basic concept I had before, because I like the character, but I'd like to play her as a new recruit to the unit, if that's cool. Essentially, she's from a family of 'landed' mercs with long ties to the Lyran Commonwealth/Alliance, dating back to the fall of the Star League when her ancestor was one of the many SL Atlas pilots who stuck around figuring they could do well. Essentially part of the nobility, with land and the whole deal (she's the heir), she's well educated (Sangalore Academy on Skye, if I got the name right?) and talented. She has the family mech because her father is teaching at Sangalore, a late-model Star League Atlas (The main diff is it uses endo-steel internals and DHS in the engine), with some weapons refits to give it some of the latest firepower. She's decided to not renew a direct contract with the Lyran's because she wants to travel!

How's that for a nutshell?

Sounds good to me!

Fits really good in the concept of the merc unit, the Tikonov Cossacks will be a unit formed because of the Liao-Marik invasion of the Sarna March in 3058. The majority of the men and women in the Cossacks have a major hard-on when they get to fight the Capellans. And the recent attemp to annex the St. Ives Compact gives them a chance to fight the Capellans AND make money will doing it.

The unit commander is from Tikonov, and HATES house Liao... 
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Story of the Accident... https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=29000.0

Seereous

Okay...I can't make up my mind on a Mech. Oh well, I'll figure that out at the end. What Battlesuits will the Cossacks get? I know that there will only be 12 and all that fun stuff, but I thought I would ask since I tend to favor the Special Ops/Armored Infantry over BattleMechs.

sleepingferret

General Character Concept so far:

The son of a doctor, and more importantly his father a Senior Engineer at Blackwell Corporation on New Valencia with ties to both the Lyran Alliance and in a round about way the famous Wolf's Dragoons.  Became known as the wealthy brat who could get you just about anything in prep school, by making a few skillful dealings with a local pawn shop owner that had some more seeder connections.  While typically generous to his friends, he was never usual subtle...so gifts and some of his possessions showed he had or could get cash, which to some even to this day has made others resent him a bit.  Having grown up around a prominent 'Mech development company, there was never any question of what he wanted to do; so after prep school despite his mother's mild protests he packed his bags and headed for the New Valencia Military Academy.  Whether it was his family connections to Blackwell Corporation, which basically gave him some basic connections throughout New Valencia or maybe he did really impress someone...he didn't really know, but he ended up in the officer academy.  By the time he had finished his training at the academy and was given his first Tour of Duty assignment, he had been given a commission (Officer rank 3) to command the 'Mech company heading to reinforce units already on Zurich.  Shortly after arrival though, Zurich became a massive battleground with an engagement between Lyran and Liao forces.  While he and his unit served the Lyran Alliance well, during the fighting he was forced to punch out and a malfunctioning ejection system left him with a torn up left leg.  Despite the advances in medical science, because he had to find his own way back to friendly lines...he is still left with a minor limp and unless he bites back the pain he can't really run or sprint, and even then he can only for very limited periods of time.  The lines at Zurich did hold, so his unit had done their job under his command and his skills as both a commanding officer and a Mechwarrior had been proven in the field.  After his injury, he returned to New Valencia and even though his military career had been brief he had obviously turned a few heads.    So perhaps his connections that speed his career along were well deserved, and thus upon his return he was offered a job as a test pilot for Blackwell Corporation.  Still wanting to be in the cockpit of a 'Mech, he accepted the offer.

Now a few years later, with the war still waging on with the papers to the variant of Blackwell Corporation's Marauder II in his pocket...he's signed on with Tikonov Cossacks Company, and looking to once again put his skills to the test.  Blackwell Corporation of course wants their latest model field tested, it's been tested in all the standard controlled environment tests...but they want it to see real combat, before they offer it to their biggest buyer the Wolf's Dragoons.  So with an agreement that he gives them the usual field report about actual combat performance after one year, Blackwell Corporation handed him the ownership contract, and some technical documentation and blueprints he'd need to give to any techs.

Anathanasia

That's a pretty neat character idea, sleepingferret. "New-money", hehe. ;)

Can any of you tell me more or point out a place where I can find out more about the seccessionist movement in the Isle of Skye? I know it's there, might like to incorporate it into my characters background, but I can't find enough details, especially on timeline. Any help?
A Special Craving: Rookie Cop has a Bad Day

My Cravings & Desires: Six Ideas in Search of a GM, Solo System RPs

Avatar provided with permission by the artist, Vaesark!

sleepingferret

The FedCom Civil War didn't begin until 3062 and ended in 3067.  The Skye secessionist movement was eventually put down by the end of the conflict.

Best record of when the Free Skye movement started however is around 3034.  The assassination of Ryan Steiner, an erstwhile head of the movement occurred somewhere around 3055 - 3056.

That's about the best information I've been able to find so far.  And that's using both the last published Lyran Alliance Field Manual (FASA 1720) and a BattleTech Wiki entry about the Lyran Alliance.

I noticed in my search that perhaps there was a novel written that might have a story dealing with events relating to either the FedCom Civil War and the Skye Guard or perhaps even the Free Skye movement itself in 3034 or sometime up to its demise in 3067. 

The American Patriot

Quote from: Seereous on August 24, 2008, 12:38:32 AM
Okay...I can't make up my mind on a Mech. Oh well, I'll figure that out at the end. What Battlesuits will the Cossacks get? I know that there will only be 12 and all that fun stuff, but I thought I would ask since I tend to favor the Special Ops/Armored Infantry over BattleMechs.

that works for me... i sent a PM about the kinds of suits that the Cossacks have salvaged while in the Chaos March.
"Do you have any idea how we are talking about here? We are talking about the 'Butcher of Keiv'... The 'Cakemaker of Keiv' could kick all of our asses, and we are talking about the 'BUTCHER of Kevi'... Does that tell you anything?"

Anathanasia

So I've been continuing my research, found this cool Battletech wiki: http://sarna.net

As much of a pain in the butt as making MW3 characters is, any chance we could use the expanded paths here?
http://sarna.net/files/data/mechwarrior/life_paths_updated.pdf

I like the breakdown of regions better, as well as the different paths for actually attending different schools! What do you guys say, shall we use them?

The American Patriot

I have no problem with using them in character generation, so go for it! :)

Seereous

Okay folks. Are we still doing this? There hasn't been anything posted in a few days so I thought that I would ask. :)

CaptainErotica

If this is still on I'm definately interested.

The American Patriot

I am sorry that i was unable to get to make any posts, but i do have a valid reason. I was taken to the main hospital on Monday with severe right flank pain. Thankfully the took me for a CAT Scan to confirm that it was Kidney stones. They also discovered that my appendix was inflamed. They operated on me Monday night/Tuesday morning. They removed my appendix right before it was to burst.

I was unable to get online during this weekend, since the wi-fi that i have been jumping in on was not active, and i am very upset that I’ve not been able to get my assignments completed. My mother was to bring me my pc this past Sunday, but couldn't since she had to take my dad to the VA hospital in Columbia where they put him in the ICU. I don’t know what is happening with him since i have been bed ridden since Monday. I am currently attached to an IV that is keeping me in the bed, and having to type one handed, with my laptop on my chest.
I can't beleive that i had kidney stones AND an appendix that was about to burst. even the doctor who operated on me said that too. She was flabbergasted, and said that i was the first case she had ever heard of having both at the same time.

sleepingferret

Focus on getting better first and foremost.  We'll still be here, when you get more time and feel up to posting more.

Besides good Mechwarrior/Battletech games require a lot of prep work for both the players and the GM anyways, so not like we should rush into this.

The American Patriot

Quote from: sleepingferret on September 03, 2008, 12:46:29 PM
Focus on getting better first and foremost.  We'll still be here, when you get more time and feel up to posting more.

Besides good Mechwarrior/Battletech games require a lot of prep work for both the players and the GM anyways, so not like we should rush into this.

Oh, beleive me... I know that. :D and i am loving it.

Does anyone have the write-up for the Outreach military academy that the Wol's Dragoons had opened? I can't remeber where i saw it...

Robguy, you are more than welcome to join. we are going to have a four lance company positions that need to be filled!

sleepingferret

The location of the training facility of the "public" training facility is within the planetary capital, Harlech.  The Dragoons maintain their private training grounds on the other less populated continent known as the "Outback", which is restricted to only members of the Dragoons or those they choose to allow there.

The Harlech facility is classrooms and simulators, and of course Blackwell industries does keep a show room and demonstration facilities.

Anathanasia

Ouch, patriot. Do get better, we can take our time and discuss the prep and background at a leisurely pace while you convalesce. :)

The American Patriot

danke, i appreciate it. doing my online college classes and this has helped me get through all this.

ClockworkSoul

If you're still taking on interested parties I was a huge Battletech fan back in the day and would love to have the chance to play either a mech jockey or armored infantry.
...Like a leaf on the wind.
Innocently it yields to the winds call.
The leaf and wind, then, soar together as one,
With no thought, as the journey is begun,
That when it lands the journey is done...

Story Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21508.msg3659621#msg3659621
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=114576.0

sleepingferret

I haven't heard from patriot one way or the other... this has been in the discussion/prep phase for a while now.  It is still something I believe many people still want to do, but no real word has been said for a while.

The American Patriot

Hi guys,

I'm sorry i've not posted more. But, i have been trying to work on getting things ready for play. plus the wi-fi here at the hospital that i've been using has been very iffy as of late.

The PCs are going to be a mercenary company, so I've been doing a lot of research on merc companies, and the best 'mechs for them to use...

The available 'mechs should be drawn from among the following (if there is a mech you have your heart set on let me know) since these are the kinds of mechs that most begining merc units would have access too that are flexible enough to handle any kind of situation. The lineholders, sentrys and watchmans are those 'mech that would most likely be given to any dispossessed mechwarriors who joined the unit after having lost their 'mechs prior to be hired by the Cossacks. 

UZL-3S Uziel (50 tons)
END-6Q Enfield (50 tons)
KW1-LH2 Lineholder (55 tons)
STY-3C Starslayer (50 tons)
TBT-7M Trebuchet (50 tons)
BSW-L1 Bushwacker (55 tons)
SNT-04 Sentry (40 tons)
WTC-4M Watchman (40 tons)
HEL-3D Helios (60 tons)
ARC-8M Archer (70 tons)

<>’s Command Lance
D “<callsign>” (Major <name>)
D “<callsign>” (Lieutenant <name>)
D “<callsign>” (Junior Lieutenant <name>)

<>’s Striker Lance
D “<callsign>” (Captain <name>)
D “<callsign>” (Lieutenant <name>)

<>’s Fire Lance
ARC-8M Archer “<callsign>” (Senior Lieutenant <name>)
HEL-3D Helios “<callsign>” (Lieutenant <name>)
TBT-7M Trebuchet “<callsign>” (Junior Lieutenant <name>)
TBT-7M Trebuchet “<callsign>” (Junior Lieutenant <name>)

<>'s Battlesuit Platoon

The ranks of the Cossacks...

Mayór (Major)
Kapitán (Captain)
Stárshiy Leytenánt (Senior Lieutenant)
Leytenánt (Leutenant)
Mládshiy Leytenánt (Junior Lieutenant)

Stárshiy Práporshchik (Senior Warrant Officer)
Práporshchik (Warrant Officer)

Starshiná (Sergeant Major)
Stárshiy Serzhánt (Senior Sergeant)
Serzhánt (Sergeant)
Mládshiy Serzhánt (Junior Sergeant)
Yefréytor (Gefreiter)
Ryadovóy (Private)

sleepingferret

This puts an interesting hitch in the old plans.... as some of us had discussed character concepts and mechs already.

The American Patriot

Have no fear, you can keep the mech already approved for play. :) the above list is for those having problems choosing a mech.

i have been reading over my books looking to find the best way to set the game up. and playing a single company will be fun, just had to make sure i had everything ready.

if anyone has the latest technical readouts with the age of war 'mech and other equipment and willing to help me please let me know.

The company has a flight of two SB-27 Sabre aerospace fighters, a Scout-class jumpship and a Union-class dropship.

The Cossacks formal uniform: a black shako, a dark blue-grey dolman w/white fur lining, a blue-grey jacket, a light blue-grey shirt, a dark blue-grey tie, a pair of black trousers, a set of underwear, a pair of black socks, a pair of black combat boots, a black Sam Brown belt, and officers wear a Shaska sabre instead of a sidearm that is worn by other ranks.

Cossacks mechwarrior uniform: a blue-grey cooling vest, a light blue-grey cooling shirt, a pair of black shorts, a set of mesh underwear, and a pair of black boots, a gunbelt with a short sabre.

Cossaks out-of-mech coveralls: a black hat, a blue-grey jumpsuit.

Cossacks field uniform: a black cap, a blue-grey field jacket, a blue-grey combat shirt, a pair of black combat pants, a set of underwear, a pair of cushion-soled black socks, a pair of black combat boots, and a set of black combat webbing.

The Cossacks rank insignia is worn on the color coded right epaulettes of their uniform jacket. Mechwarriors wear a dark blue epaulette. Aerospace Fighter pilots wear a black epaulette. Battlesuit Troopers wear a dark green epaulette. Technicians wear a dark red epaulette. Jumpship and Dropship crews wear a black epaulette.

Polkóvnik (Colonel) a color coded epaulette with one broad embroidered yellow bar in the center and three large gold stars. Podpolkóvnik (Lt. Colonel) a color coded epaulette with one broad embroidered yellow bar in the center and two large gold stars. Mayór (Major) a color coded epaulette with one broad embroidered yellow bar in the center and a single large gold star. Kapitán (Captain) a color coded epaulette two parallel embroidered yellow stripes two parallel yellow stripes with four small silver stars. Stárshiy Leytenánt (Senior Lieutenant) a color coded epaulette with two parallel embroidered yellow stripes with three small silver stars. Leytenánt (Leutenant) a color coded epaulette with two parallel embroidered yellow stripes with two small silver stars. Mládshiy Leytenánt (Junior Lieutenant) a color coded epaulette with two parallel embroidered yellow stripes with a single small silver star.

Stárshiy Práporshchik (Senior Warrant Officer) a color coded epaulette with two embroidered yellow broad bars and two bronze stars. Práporshchik (Warrant Officer) a color coded epaulette with two broad embroidered yellow bars and a single bronze star.

Starshiná (Sergeant Major) a color coded epaulette with two broad yellow bars. Stárshiy Serzhánt (Senior Sergeant) a color coded epaulette with a single broad yellow bar. Serzhánt (Sergeant) a color coded epaulette with three thin yellow bars. Mládshiy Serzhánt (Junior Sergeant) a color coded epaulette with two thin yellow bars. Yefréytor (Gefreiter) a color coded epaulette with a single thin yellow bar. Ryadovóy (Private) a color coded epaulette.

The Tikonov Cossacks' Technical Support Group: The maintenance team of each battlemech is composed of a tech and their three astechs. The maintenance team of each lance is overseen by a Chief Tech. The maintenance of the company is over seen by a Lieutenant, who in turn answers to a Senior Lieutenant.

ClockworkSoul

What suits of armor are approved for the battlesuit platoon?
...Like a leaf on the wind.
Innocently it yields to the winds call.
The leaf and wind, then, soar together as one,
With no thought, as the journey is begun,
That when it lands the journey is done...

Story Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21508.msg3659621#msg3659621
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=114576.0

The American Patriot

Quote from: ClockworkSoul on October 23, 2008, 01:31:41 PM
What suits of armor are approved for the battlesuit platoon?

The only diffference from what I had originally discussed when we got started is that i've added the Thesseus to the line up... mainly because who developed the suit would allow for a merc unit to acquire them brand new. The Longinus and the Cavalier battlesuits ae second hand (acquired in the Chaos March from the house units the unit had worked with), but the Thesseus battlesuits are acquired new from the Magestry of Canopus.

The American Patriot

Hi everyone... if you are all still interested we will be starting the game on Monday 17 November 2008, that will give me the weekend to set everything up for the game since I leave here for home on Friday 14 November.

So please post your characters here while i get ready to set up the thread, i just need to know what forum we should put the game thread onto... I don't mind the game going all over the place, i just need to know where the players are willing to go (and what they aren't willing to let things go too).   

this is the sabre worn by officers in the cossacks...

sleepingferret

17th? sounds good.

Oh and glad to hear your feeling better patriot.

As for where the game should be placed, my vote is keep it probably around the level of NC-H..I don't think anything will be going on much beyond that.  I could be wrong, but that gives us a decent amount of freedom with things without necessarily "crossing too many lines" or "stepping on too many toes" so to speak.