Hogwarts: A Recent Past [Recruitment Thread] -No Longer Accepting-

Started by Mellific, June 26, 2017, 10:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mellific

The Premise

We all know the story of Harry Potter. This is not his story, though. This is the story of the students who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry before Harry Potter did.

Hogwarts is located in the Highlands of Scotland and accepts students with magical abilities from the United Kingdom, as well as a few other, select regions throughout the world. Hogwarts is considered the most prestigious wizarding academy in the wizarding community. Due to overwhelming demand, Hogwarts has expanded its academics to allow students between the ages of seventeen and twenty-one to enroll at the University level.

Pure-bloods, half-bloods and muggle-born wizards and witches are all welcome at Hogwarts, despite some controversy involved in blood purity. Each student is assigned via the sorting hat, into one of the four houses represented at Hogwarts; Gryffindor, Slytherin, Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw. At the University level, students should already know which house they belong to from previous years, unless this is their first year in attendance at Hogwarts.

After being in operation for many centuries, Hogwarts has heard innumerable whispers, the walls know countless secrets. What secrets will you share with the walls of Hogwarts Castle?

This is meant to be a free-form, sandbox game that is largely writer driven, with some GM guidance.

The Setting

This game is set to take place during the year 1980. This is the year that Harry Potter was born.

During this year several things happened: Karkaroff and Dolohov were captured and imprisoned at Azkaban, Rosier and Wilkes - Death Eaters - were killed by Aurors, Dumbledore interviewed Trelawney, who prophesied the birth of a baby that will grow into the man who one day defeats Lord Voldermort.

The title of this game comes from the date it is set in. Because this game is taking place in 1980, characters are expected to reflect that date.

This game will take place primarily at Hogwarts Castle - including the Quidditch Pitch, the Black Lake and the Forbidden Forest - but will also include other familiar locations such as Hogsmeade Village and Diagon Alley.

Students will arrive via the Hogwarts Express.

The Rules

1. Always comply with the rules of Elliquiy and use common sense.
2. All characters must be at least seventeen years of age or older.
3. Face-claims must be photographs, not artwork.
4. No Werewolves/Veela/Animagi/Metamorphmagi or other extraordinary/overpowered characters.
5. Be active. Real life comes first, but for extended absences, please notify your fellow players.

More rules will be added if this game gathers enough interest, and are subject to change.

The Questions

What about familiars? Only cats, owls and toads will be allowable.
Can I play a canon character? No. No canon characters will be played, except for minor NPC roles, conducted by a GM.
Are you looking for another GM? Yes. Should this interest check gather enough interest, I will require a bit of assistance with operation. 
What if I don't know much about the HP universe? That's okay, there are plenty of resources out there for you to reference.
Is sex going to be included in this game? Yes, sex will likely take place, but it is not the focus of the game, either.

What if I have another question that wasn't answered here? Please post it here in this thread.

Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon

Character Creation

For the time being, only students are available to play. To start with, every player will be limited to creating only TWO characters. This number will increase to three after the game has begun and enough interest has accrued. Each player interested in playing three characters must display an ability to balance all of their characters, based on their activity within the game.

Professors may be playable if after the game has begun, there is enough interest. Please note that even though the age of all characters within this game will be at least seventeen and older, there is still a severe stigma against professor/student relationships. It is our belief that Hogwarts - based on its reputation - would not allow it.

Please copy and paste the coding below into a PM, and send your character sheets to: Mellific and Swashbuckler.

[center][size=12pt]→[i]Introductory Information[/i]←[/size][/center]

[float=right][img height=400 padding=10]https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=15264874[/img][/float]

[b]Full Name:[/b] Your character's name

[b]Nickname:[/b] If Applicable (if not, please put "None")

[b]Age:[/b] How old is your character on the first day of school?

[b]Birth Date:[/b] When was your character born? (Should be between 1958-1963, please write month, day and year)

[b]Sexuality:[/b] What sexuality does your character identify with?

[b]Blood Status:[/b] Your character's status (Muggle-born, Half-blood or Pure-Blood)

[b]Birthplace:[/b] Where was your character born/where did they grow up? (Example: Los Angeles, California, United States)

[b]Year:[/b] What year is your character?

[b]House:[/b] What House is your character in?

[b]Wand Length | Wood | Core:[/b] What length/wood/core is your character's wand?

[b]Patronus:[/b] (If applicable, what form does your character's patronus take?)

[b]Apparation License:[/b] Yes or No

[center][img height=200]https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=15264874[/img] [img height=200]https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=15264874[/img] [img height=200]https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=15264874[/img] [img height=200]https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=15264874[/img] [img height=200]https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=15264874[/img]

[size=12pt]→[i]Personal Information[/i]←[/size][/center]

[b]Notable Features:[/b] Please provide examples of what distinguishes your character's appearance. This can be as long or as short as you would like. (Examples: Freckles, Tattoos, Dyed hair, Jewelry that is often worn, etc.) Feel free to describe specifics such as tattoos, or link an image with: [url=http://IMG URL]DESCRIPTION[/url]

[b]General Appearance:[/b] Please describe the more standard aspects of your character's appearance. What is their figure shape, or athletic build? Include height, hair color, eye color, etc. (Please write at least one or two sentences with descriptions.)

[b]Personality Traits:[/b] Please provide a list of at least five attributes - negative and positive - that describe your character. You may include habits and mannerisms in this section, if you would like. This can be written in bullet points or paragraph form. (Examples: Honest, Suspicious, Jealous, Brave, Loyal, Independent, etc.) Feel free to expand with a brief summary, if you wish.

[b]Brief History:[/b] Please provide at least three paragraphs that detail your character's background. How did they grow up? Who is their family? What has their previous education at Hogwarts (or elsewhere) been like? How has their experience with magic (and others finding out that they have magical abilities) gone?

[b]Strengths:[/b] Please list at least three strengths for your character. (Can include academic strengths)

[b]Weaknesses:[/b] Please list at least three weaknesses for your character. (Can include fears)

[b]Likes:[/b] Please list at least three things that your character likes.

[b]Dislikes:[/b] Please list at least three tings that your character dislikes.

[b]Family:[/b] Immediate family only is required for this section, if your character is a muggle-born or half-blood. For pure-blood characters, include extended family (paternal and maternal grandparents, at the least). Please list the following: Name | Relation | Occupation | Age | Blood status. For deceased family, please specify.

[center][size=12pt]→[i]Academic Information[/i]←[/size][/center]

[spoiler=Marks]
[u]Passing Grades[/u]
O - Outstanding
E - Exceeds Expectations
A - Acceptable

[u]Failing Grades[/u]
P - Poor
D - Dreadful
T - Troll
[/spoiler]

[b]OWL Grades:[/b] (All characters must have taken the OWL's for this game.)
[i]Charms[/i] -
[i]Transfiguration[/i] -
[i]Herbology[/i] -
[i]Defense Against the Dark Arts[/i] -
[i]Ancient Runes[/i] -
[i]Potions[/i] -
[i]Care of Magical Creatures[/i] -
[i]Astronomy[/i] -
[i]Divination[/i] -
[i]History of Magic[/i] -
[i]Arithmancy[/i] -
[i]Muggle Studies[/i] -

[b]NEWT Grades:[/b] (If your character is seventeen and has not taken the NEWT's yet, you may write: N/A.)
This section is only for those classes your character has received a mark of E or better in, from the OWL's. If your character wishes to be placed in an advanced-level class for subjects they earned an E or better on, please list those classes here, along the grade they received on the exam. For example: [i]Care of Magical Creatures[/i] - E)

[center][size=12pt]→[i]Miscellaneous Information[/i]←[/size][/center]

[b]Familiar:[/b] If applicable, feel free to provide an image to link with: [url=http://IMG URL]NAME[/url] (If not, feel free to remove this section)

[b]Face-claim:[/b] Please provide the name of the face-claim you are using for your character's image.

[b]O/O's:[/b] Please provide a link to your On's and Off's with: [url=http://O/O LINK]Here[/url]

[b]Notes:[/b] Include anything here about your character that wasn't covered above, if applicable. (If not, feel free to remove this section)

[b]Extra Curriculars/Sports:[/b] Please list any and all curriculars for your character. If you're unsure about this section, PM the GM's. Example: Is your character a Quidditch player? What position? Or, are they a MediWitch's Aid in the Medical Wing?

Wand Woods

Most wands are long, thin rods of wood with a magical substance embedded into their core.
Among the woods used are (according to Garrick Ollivander's notes):

Acacia:   
A very unusual wand wood, which I have found creates tricky wands that often refuse to produce magic for any but their owner, and also withhold their best effects from all but those most gifted.

Alder:
Alder is an unyielding wood, yet I have discovered that its ideal owner is not stubborn or obstinate, but often helpful, considerate and most likeable.

Apple
Applewood wands are not made in great numbers. They are powerful and best suited to an owner of high aims and ideals, as this wood mixes poorly with Dark magic.

Ash:
The ash wand cleaves to its one true master and ought not to be passed on or gifted from the original owner, because it will lose power and skill. This tendency is extreme if the core is of unicorn.

Aspen:
Wand-quality aspen wood is white and fine-grained, and highly prized by all wand-makers for its stylish resemblance to ivory and its usually outstanding charmwork.

Beech:
The true match for a beech wand will be, if young, wise beyond his or her years, and if full-grown, rich in understanding and experience. Beech wands perform very weakly for the narrow-minded and intolerant.

Blackthorn:   
Blackthorn, which is a very unusual wand wood, has the reputation, in my view well-merited, of being best suited to a warrior.

Black Walnut:
Less common than the standard walnut wand, that of black walnut seeks a master of good instincts and powerful insight. Black walnut is a very handsome wood, but not the easiest to master.

Cedar:
Whenever I meet one who carries a cedar wand, I find strength of character and unusual loyalty. My father, Gervaise Ollivander, used always to say, ‘you will never fool the cedar carrier,’ and I agree: the cedar wand finds its perfect home where there is perspicacity and perception.

Cherry:
This very rare wand wood creates a wand of strange power, most highly prized by the wizarding students of the school of Mahoutokoro in Japan, where those who own cherry wands have special prestige.

Chestnut:
This is a most curious, multi-faceted wood, which varies greatly in its character depending on the wand core, and takes a great deal of colour from the personality that possesses it.

Cypress:
Cypress wands are associated with nobility. The great medieval wandmaker, Geraint Ollivander, wrote that he was always honoured to match a cypress wand, for he knew he was meeting a witch or wizard who would die a heroic death.

Dogwood:
I have found that matching a dogwood wand with its ideal owner is always entertaining. Dogwood wands are quirky and mischievous; they have playful natures and insist upon partners who can provide them with scope for excitement and fun.

Ebony:
This jet-black wand wood has an impressive appearance and reputation, being highly suited to all manner of combative magic, and to Transfiguration.

English oak:
A wand for good times and bad, this is a friend as loyal as the wizard who deserves it. Wands of English oak demand partners of strength, courage and fidelity.

Elder:
The rarest wand wood of all, and reputed to be deeply unlucky, the elder wand is trickier to master than any other. It contains powerful magic, but scorns to remain with any owner who is not the superior of his or her company; it takes a remarkable wizard to keep the elder wand for any length of time.

Elm:
The unfounded belief that only pure-bloods can produce magic from elm wands was undoubtedly started by some elm wand owner seeking to prove his own blood credentials, for I have known perfect matches of elm wands who are Muggle-borns.

Fir:
My august grandfather, Gerbold Octavius Ollivander, always called wands of this wood ‘the survivor’s wand,’ because he had sold it to three wizards who subsequently passed through mortal peril unscathed.

Hawthorn:
The wandmaker Gregorovitch wrote that hawthorn ‘makes a strange, contradictory wand, as full of paradoxes as the tree that gave it birth, whose leaves and blossoms heal, and yet whose cut branches smell of death.’

Hazel:
A sensitive wand, hazel often reflects its owner’s emotional state, and works best for a master who understands and can manage their own feelings.

Holly:
Holly is one of the rarer kinds of wand woods; traditionally considered protective, it works most happily for those who may need help overcoming a tendency to anger and impetuosity.

Hornbeam:
Hornbeam selects for its life mate the talented witch or wizard with a single, pure passion, which some might call obsession (though I prefer the term ‘vision’), which will almost always be realised.

Larch:
Strong, durable and warm in colour, larch has long been valued as an attractive and powerful wand wood. Its reputation for instilling courage and confidence in the user has ensured that demand has always outstripped supply.

Laurel:
It is said that a laurel wand cannot perform a dishonourable act, although in the quest for glory (a not uncommon goal for those best suited to these wands), I have known laurel wands perform powerful and sometimes lethal magic.

Maple:
I have often found that those chosen by maple wands are by nature travellers and explorers; they are not stay-at-home wands, and prefer ambition in their witch or wizard, otherwise their magic grows heavy and lacklustre.

Pear:
This golden-toned wood produces wands of splendid magical powers, which give of their best in the hands of the warm-hearted, the generous and the wise. Possessors of pear wands are, in my experience, usually popular and well-respected.

Pine:
The straight-grained pine wand always chooses an independent, individual master who may be perceived as a loner, intriguing and perhaps mysterious. Pine wands enjoy being used creatively, and unlike some others, will adapt unprotestingly to new methods and spells.

Poplar:
"If you seek integrity, search first among the poplars". Here is a wand to rely upon, of consistency, strength and uniform power, always happiest when working with a witch or wizard of clear moral vision.

Red Oak:
You will often hear the ignorant say that red oak is an infallible sign of its owner’s hot temper. In fact, the true match for a red oak wand is possessed of unusually fast reactions, making it a perfect duelling wand.

Redwood:
Wand-quality redwood is in short supply, yet constant demand, due to its reputation for bringing good fortune to its owner.

Rosewood:
Rosewood wands are quite rare. They are not very compatible with Dark magic as this wood represents love and purity. Rosewood wands are known to excel in love spells and healing magic.

Rowan:
Rowan wood has always been much-favoured for wands, because it is reputed to be more protective than any other, and in my experience renders all manner of defensive charms especially strong and difficult to break.

Silver lime:
This unusual and highly attractive wand wood was greatly in vogue in the nineteenth century. Demand outstripped supply, and unscrupulous wandmakers dyed substandard woods in an effort to fool purchasers into believing that they had purchased silver lime.

Spruce:
Unskilled wandmakers call spruce a difficult wood, but in doing so they reveal their own ineptitude. It is quite true that it requires particular deftness to work with spruce, which produces wands that are ill-matched with cautious or nervous natures, and become positively dangerous in fumbling fingers.

Sycamore:
The sycamore makes a questing wand, eager for new experience and losing brilliance if engaged in mundane activities. It is a quirk of these handsome wands that they may combust if allowed to become ‘bored'.

Vine:
Vine wands are among the less common types, and I have been intrigued to notice that their owners are nearly always those witches or wizards who seek a greater purpose, who have a vision beyond the ordinary and who frequently astound those who think they know them best.

Walnut:
Highly intelligent witches and wizards ought to be offered a walnut wand for trial first, because in nine cases out of ten, the two will find in each other their ideal mate.

Willow:
Willow is an uncommon wand wood with healing power, and I have noted that the ideal owner for a willow wand often has some (usually unwarranted) insecurity, however well they may try and hide it.

Yew:
Yew wands are among the rarer kinds, and their ideal matches are likewise unusual, and occasionally notorious. The wand of yew is reputed to endow its possessor with the power of life and death.

Wand Cores

Most wands made by Garrick Ollivander contain one of the three supreme core types, but there are others.
Among the substances used are (according to Garrick Ollivander's notes):

Unicorn hair:
Unicorn hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages. Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts. They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard. Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair may 'die' and need replacing.

Dragon heartstring:
As a rule, dragon heartstrings produce wands with the most power, and which are capable of the most flamboyant spells. Dragon wands tend to learn more quickly than other types. While they can change allegiance if won from their original master, they always bond strongly with the current owner. The dragon wand tends to be easiest to turn to the Dark Arts , though it will not incline that way of its own accord. It is also the most prone of the three cores to accidents, being somewhat temperamental.

Phoenix feather:   
This is the rarest core type. Phoenix feathers are capable of the greatest range of magic, though they may take longer than either unicorn or dragon cores to reveal this. They show the most initiative, sometimes acting of their own accord, a quality that many witches and wizards dislike. Phoenix feather wands are always the pickiest when it comes to potential owners, for the creature from which they are taken is one of the most independent and detached in the world. These wands are the hardest to tame and to personalise, and their allegiance is usually hard won.

Veela hair:
The wandmaker Garrick Ollivander mentioned that he did not use Veela hair because it made for "temperamental" wands.

Thestral tail hair:   
This core type is regarded as an unstable, if not difficult substance to use in wand making.

Troll whisker:
Troll whiskers is considered an inferior substance to Garrick Ollivander's three Supreme Cores.

Kelpie hair:
Early in my career, as I watched my wandmaker father wrestling with substandard wand core materials such as kelpie hair...

Thunderbird tail feather:
The tail feather of the Thunderbird was used as a wand core by the American wandmaker Shikoba Wolfe. Wolfe's wands were powerful but difficult to master, and were good for transfiguration work.

Wampus cat hair:
The hair of the Wampus cat was used as a wand core by the American wandmaker Johannes Jonker. Jonker experimented with many other cores before settling on the hair of this creature as his preferred kind. The core was also used by Isolt Sayre and James Steward when they begun making their own wands in the 17th century.

White River Monster spine:
This wand core was used by Thiago Quintana. Whit River Monster spines produce spells of force and elegance.

Rougarou hair:
The hair of the rougarou was used as a wand core by the American wandmaker Violetta Beauvais. Rougarou hair was rumoured to have an affinity for Dark magic, like vampires to blood.

Kneazle whiskers:
This is a rarely used wand core and is most likely considered a substandard core type.

Horned Serpent horn:
This wand core was used by Ilvermorny School of Witchcraft and Wizardry founders Isolt Sayre. The wands made from this core were exceptional powerful. They were also sensitive to Parseltongue and warn its owner of danger by emitting a low musical tone.

Snallygaster heartstring:
The core was used by Isolt Sayre and James Steward when they began making their own wands in the 17th century.

Jackalope antler:
The core was used by Isolt Sayre and James Steward when they began making their own wands in the 17th century.

Basilisk horn:
Only one wand is known to have used this core. It was made by Salazar Slytherin for a wand of his own making.

Wand Length and Flexibility

Most wands are between 9 - 14 inches long. Shorter wands (8 inches or less) and longer wands (15 inches or greater) do exist, but are extremely rare.

Typically, a wand is fit to the witch or wizard who intends to use it, based on his or her physical frame. However, there are other factors to consider than simple measurements. Longer wands may be ideal for a taller individual, but tend to fit with big personalities and a caster who has a preference for more theatrical style magic. Abnormally short wands, however, may be drawn to a person who is somehow inadequate in one way or another, rather than linking to a caster because they are physically petite. Neater wands have a preference toward poised and polished casting. It is important to note that no one factor in the composition of a wand is what makes it distinguishable, by itself, to the witch or wizard who seeks to use it.

The flexibility or rigidity of a wand speaks to its compliance or aversion to changing masters entirely, or temporarily relinquishing possession. Although, as stated, this single factor should not be isolated from the other components of a wand, nor the owner's magical experience and specific style of magic. All of these traits make each wand one-of-a-kind.

Words that are used to describe the resilience of a wand include (but are not limited to): Unyielding, Flexible, Springy, Inflexible, Bendy, Supple, Pliable, Stiff.

Other links:

Accepted Characters

O/O | A/A | MM

Swashbuckler

Mellific

Special thanks to Swash for helping me compile this.  :-*

O/O | A/A | MM

GnothiSeauton

If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Mellific

Glad to have piqued your interest, Gnothi!  ;D

O/O | A/A | MM

Revna

Mael

Tentatively interested!
-has horrible schedule-

Mellific

Thrilled to have more interest on here! Any interest will do. :-)

O/O | A/A | MM

Bibliophilia

Mellific

I am willing to allow people to play professors if enough interest is gathered and after the game has begun. As long as there is enough of a demand for it.

O/O | A/A | MM

A Painter

Mellific

Awesome! Well, I think with at least five interested people, we can officially call this a small group.

I am working on world building for this game (if anyone is interested, feel free to poke inside that thread). Once I've finished the character sheet template, I will post that here. Hopefully even more interest will circulate once people are free to make their characters.

O/O | A/A | MM

Mac84

For a while, I had the idea of a Muggle Born "Muggle Studies" Teacher.

The inspiration came from the first movie where Mr. Weasely asked Harry what was the purpose of a rubber duck.

So I came up with the concept teacher that's purpose was to educate Wizard folks that have not been acclimated to Muggle society how to blend in, and what to expect so they're not surprised, or accidentally use magic in the muggle world.

Adrian Castle

Mellific

Alright! I've edited the intro post to include a character sheet at the bottom.

We're officially a Recruitment Thread, instead of an Interest Check!

If anyone has any questions about the sheets, don't hesitate to ask it here, or PM myself, or Swashbuckler.

Oh, and I guess this is a good time to mention that Swash is my first co-GM.  ::)

O/O | A/A | MM

Swashbuckler

Snake

I am interested though not sure what I want to play :3

A Painter

Got my FC! Now for the hard part, haha. I should have a profile ready for scrutiny in a few days.

Mellific

Sounds good!

If anyone would like to post their FC's here, that might be a good idea, to reserve them and ensure no one else takes the FC you were hoping to use.

O/O | A/A | MM

Snake

Wonderful FC's. Crap, this'll be tough. u.u I'm just picky when it comes to that XD

GnothiSeauton

If she hasn't been taken, I'd like to face claim Anya Taylor Joy
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Mellific

O/O | A/A | MM

Snake

Does it absolutely have to be a real person?

Swashbuckler

Snake

>.> Wonderful. I'll see if can find one that suits the character I cook up then.