Senate Candidate attacked for playing World of Warcraft

Started by TheGlyphstone, October 06, 2012, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gaggedLouise

Quote from: tozhma on October 08, 2012, 06:22:14 PM
I wonder if this could qualify as racist because she plays an orc?

Orcs are supposed to be Asians, mongols, right?

The Vapors - Turning Japanese

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

tozhma

In D&D's official release I thought there was supposed to be a bunch of racism against them. IDK, we usually homebrew it.

TheGlyphstone

The default D&D books have prejudice against half-orcs, because full-blooded Orcs are completely evil rape-and-pillage marauding hordes.

Not sure about Warcraft orcs, though.

tozhma

I just like the idea of pegging the Republican party with additional claims of racism. Honestly though, the idea of the Republican party getting pegged in general brings a smile to my face.

Vekseid

Quote from: gaggedLouise on October 08, 2012, 07:37:15 PM
Orcs are supposed to be Asians, mongols, right?

Horde comes from ordu, a collection of two or more tumen, a unit of 10,000 Mongol horsemen. They were also noted for their rapacious behavior, though it didn't spread their seed much if at all.

But the tactics orcs display in just about any fantasy setting are pathetic jokes compared to the Mongols. But that's true for most fiction period.

gaggedLouise

*looks up Conn Iggulden, and The Secret History of the Mongols*

(not the history of their genital secretions, though)  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Stattick

Quote from: tozhma on October 08, 2012, 10:41:39 PM
I just like the idea of pegging the Republican party with additional claims of racism. Honestly though, the idea of the Republican party getting pegged in general brings a smile to my face.

Ehhh..... I wouldn't peg the Republican Party. Most of them would like it, and we shouldn't reward their bad behavior.
O/O   A/A

tozhma

I think Ted Haggad gets a little more honest with each sex scandal, so with him at least, the more pegging the better.

Oniya

Quote from: Vekseid on October 09, 2012, 03:10:16 AM
Horde comes from ordu, a collection of two or more tumen, a unit of 10,000 Mongol horsemen. They were also noted for their rapacious behavior, though it didn't spread their seed much if at all.

However, it has since lost any sort of ethnic meaning, much like 'Goth' no longer has much to do with the folks who sacked Rome.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Valerian

I don't know anything about WoW, but if the orcs there are supposed to be based on the Mongols, no wonder the far right doesn't like her.  Genghis Khan was one of the first leaders ever to codify the right to religious freedom for all, and I doubt the Tea Party is really on board with that notion.   ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

tozhma

It's bad enough to be racist, but when you have so much ate it extends to fictional races, that's just kind of sad. *shakes head*

Chris Brady

Quote from: tozhma on October 09, 2012, 05:38:36 PM
It's bad enough to be racist, but when you have so much ate it extends to fictional races, that's just kind of sad. *shakes head*

Actually, the GOP has gone WORSE.  It's SPECIEIST.  Which is not a word, but they're promoting prejudice against an entire species of creatures.  :P
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Oniya

I really want to work a pun in here using the word 'specious', but as that involves something being 'superficially pleasing' in addition to being false - yeah, got nothin'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Shjade

Quote from: Oniya on October 10, 2012, 12:45:11 PM
I really want to work a pun in here using the word 'specious', but as that involves something being 'superficially pleasing' in addition to being false - yeah, got nothin'.

You've got nothing for that, really? 'Cause it sounds a lot like a description of politicians trying to convince constituencies that when they're doing something for lobbyists they're really doing it because it's the best thing for everyone.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

It's the 'superficially pleasing' aspect that has me hung up.  As a political argument, this is weak even for the worst politicians.

Trieste

Tamhansen

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 08, 2012, 10:38:14 PM
The default D&D books have prejudice against half-orcs, because full-blooded Orcs are completely evil rape-and-pillage marauding hordes.

Not sure about Warcraft orcs, though.

warcraft orcs were former slaves to humans after they were summoned through the dark portal by the guardian of kharazan. technically they're aliens not asians

And on another note, the senator got ganked by the GOP
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Tamhansen

Quote from: Trieste on October 10, 2012, 10:26:55 PM
Really? 'Cause Wisconsin is just ... I mean...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/roger-rivard-rape_n_1956491.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

The way this sir may bring it may sound Vile and discriminating, I give you that.

But it does happen. I know at least one guy who was falsely accused of raping a girl. She had consented, but the next day headed for the cops because her parents found out, and she told them she was forced.
This guy had the luck that there were witnesses to her consenting, but most guys would not be if this happened.
ons and offs

Ironwolf85

Quote from: Trieste on October 10, 2012, 10:26:55 PM
Really? 'Cause Wisconsin is just ... I mean...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/10/roger-rivard-rape_n_1956491.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

*golum voice*
ZEE STUPID EEET BURNZ USSSS.
*end golum voice*

In all fairness he was adressing when his father told him about moments where girls will claim to have been raped to get out of trouble because they slept with billy joe out a make out point, and are now carrying a baby.

but the slogan "some girls rape easy" is going to follow that guy to his grave now, think before you speak, lest you wind up chewing leather in a non-erotic fashon.

also interisting bit from a site mod:
QuoteThe underlying problem with all these comments is the belief that there is an enormous amount of women out there claiming to have been raped but who are lying, which is on it’s own, highly offensive. In every discussion about rape, the example of statutory rape where the two partners are close in age ALWAYS comes up, and it is used to de-legitimize the crime as a whole. Yes, there are grey areas of consenting individuals where a 16 year old has sex with her 18 year old boy friend; however, when taken in the context of all the teenagers out there having sex, even with someone who is of age, a tiny sliver of these will ever be treated as criminal acts. And to use those examples to characterize a heinous crime really shows the backwards attitude of many (not all) conservative men have towards women. It has been shown that rape is no more falsely reported than any other crime, but we don’t here conservative man after conservative man taking umbrage with all the people who falsely report a burglary, as if a few examples would bring everyone’s mugging into the shadow of doubt. As long as they continue to discuss a very large problem under the narrow context of only statutory rape, they will always ignore the real victimization of women. And that is why they are seen as anti-woman.
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

TheGlyphstone

If a woman and an anti-woman touch each other, will it create a devastating explosion?

tozhma

An explosion of socio-political bullshitting like the world has never seen.

Tamhansen

ons and offs