Brave New World Small group

Started by DarkAngel111, March 18, 2014, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel111

Hello there Visitor! Since you are here you must be a crazed zombie Apocalypse fan like me. Well you are in luck, I am thinking about starting a very small group game the emphasis here being on small. I intend to keep the game flowing very efficiently and we will only be signing people on who are interested and quick to reply(couple of days per post). I understand real life is important, but when a key player disappears it leaves a small group game dead. Or Undead.  Unlike most Zombie survival games we will not be killing people off at the GM’s whim, unless you have been very naughty or you take on 3+ zombies by yourself! Knifes break, Guns stop working, you can never go wrong with an old Steel Axe though!. Weapons will be rare. Ammunition even more so, our world will be 3+ years into the Apocalypse with no safe heaves offering cures or any signs of hope. This will be the way of life. More of them less of us, so to out-number them, we kill them and make more of us (hope you get my drift? ;) ).

That being said, I do not want you to be fucking like rabbits every chance you get. We are after all surviving. Our game will be based in a country side with fresh water only available through streams or rain. Its 3+ years there is no canned food. Medicine is made by ourselves everything else has expired. Food is either grown or hunted, no bottled water is found, if it is then it’s rare, like out of 100 raids you get 4-5 bottles of water. The only survival camps will be those either made by large groups or one we make ourselves. There is no fuel, fire is lighted by rocks and rubbing wood. Essentially we are in the medieval ages. If you fire a shot, you are expected to pick up the shells so they can be used over.

To start with I will only allow 10 players into the game. We will see how the flow goes, if one of you leaves us, s/he will be killed off in game after a week of no correspondence. If you have mentioned your hiatus to us, we will simply lose you in the wilderness only to find you again when you return. The Goal is survival. Characters will not be demigods who can crush skulls with bare hands or march in like John McClain and kill and entire building full of zombies. There will be a list of weapons available to choose from. Every person will have a back story, and a good reason to go with it, to represent their new self in the undead world.

A Sales man from New Jersey becomes a cold hearted withdrawn killer not because it’s the end of the world, but because he trusted someone in the past and lost his family. (That was an example, I am sure you can come up with better ideas. This was just a taste). Of course we will also need a couple of people who are good at a particular skill set, for example mechanic? Farmer? Hunter? Whatever your skill set is, be sure you do your research before picking it, because we will make full use of these skills.

Now for the Gooey part. Zombies, will be based off the show walking dead. Slow and dumb. But they follow you tirelessly see you and listen to your sounds. Bite turns you no exceptions. But we won’t let that happen because you are in a group! IF you want your character to die so you can make a new one, well, say so, we will find a heroic way for him to die and benefit the group!

The aim I have here is, if this game picks up, and we get a good flow going, we will use the survivors to build up a small town, or a stronghold. And then introduce new characters. Of course like all good things do That too will come to an end. We want Characters here, so Emotions changing with situation are good. We want some people who freak out easily, some people who don’t shudder, and some people who can be the bad guy when the need is there. The leader of the group will be decided IN game. On your skills and your relationship with the other characters, GM does not automatically become a leader. Although I can throw situations that might be hard to handle, too many bad decisions on your part, and you will be sidelined and another person will lead the group.

I hope you are still with me? If you are then what are you waiting for, simply put your interest in, and work on your character sheet!. IF I get more than 10 people interested, pickings will depend on Character Sheets and on your writing style not On who raised their hand first. So just because there are a lot of people showing interest does NOT mean you won’t get picked!

Basic Format to Follow when you make your Survivor!

[b]Name[/b]

[b]Age[/b]: {Current, 3 years into the outbreak}

[b]Profession[/b]: (before the outbreak)

[b]Skills[/b]: {Only 2 skills with efficiency. Rest will be subsidiary to the main skill}

[b]Weapons[/b]: {Melee weapons only, Long range weapons will be decided upon approval.}

[b]Personality[/b]{ 4 or more things of note}

[b]Fears[/b]

[b]History[/b] {Good few Paragraphs, as we do require a little detail on the reason for your character's choices}

List of Available Weapons IN-Game

4 Glock 19, 9mm (15 rounds)
1 .357 Magnum Revolver. (4 rounds)
1 .40 S&W (3 rounds)
1 S&W E-Gold 20Ga Double barreled Shotgun (10 rounds)
2 M4 Carbine Rifles. (54 rounds)
1 AR15 A3 Carbine. (Out of ammo)

Other Weapons:

Bows
Cross bows.
Machetes
Knifes.
Axes.
Spears( self made)

Most melee Weapons are allowed, As long as you don't load your character up with 5 different kinds of weapons.
At most 1-2 melee weapons per Character are allowed. A Character Cannot have a crossbow/bow AND a gun.

Guns are mostly what the group has. Not what each character has. But mostly, Each character will have the gun they are good at. Weaker character will have a Glock 19 for less of a kick.

Guns will be easily found, most of them empty or on walkers. Getting them will be the hard part. Food and medicine is none existent, you either grow it or improvise, during raids the priority is finding ammunition, then canned food, and then Medicine.

Accepted Characters & Game Information

OCC Thread

GnothiSeauton

I'm interested.  Sounds like it could be fun. 
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

DarkAngel111

well I look forward to seeing you :)
Have you thought about the character you would like to play?.

Kadigan

Sounds interesting, but I don't know what skillset I'd go with since, personally, I lack few that would be useful in a Zompocalyse..not sure which I could play well.

DarkAngel111

Quote from: BarbaraGordon on March 18, 2014, 04:27:00 PM
Sounds interesting, but I don't know what skillset I'd go with since, personally, I lack few that would be useful in a Zompocalyse..not sure which I could play well.
you are free to play some one who does not have any. You can always play as some one who only knows how to survive. A weak link in the group?. After all each group has weak links

FetzerDelRayne

Sam Jones was a nerd.  Living in his little studio apartment, playing video games, and Dungeons and Dragons with his friends.  When not glued to a screen he was a part time 'prepper'.  He realistically never thought it'd actually be zombies that ended the world, disease, anarchy, natural disaster, but zombies?  That's just so sci-fi.  Totally unrealistic.  Sam had learned in his time prepping some basic skills in archery, and had even learned how to make bows and arrows with his hands.  He was part of the SCA, Like ren-fair, but more strict on being being, 'period'.  He'd learned how to fight with a sword, even if it was a wooden one.  He went camping with his friends every few months for years, each of them only bringing their doomsday pack, and trying to survive for a three day weekend.  Sam always thought he was totally ready for life after society.  He was terribly wrong.

When things first happened, Sam thought it was a huge elaborate hoax.  He even tried to go to work.  It happened so fast, the evening news had stories from all over the globe about the zombies.  By the next day, as he walked to the bus station to go to work, it was obvious this wasn't a hoax.  His whole city had been rioting and looting all night.  He'd slept right through it being a little outside of town, he just heard lots of sirens that night.  He made his way back to his apartment, grabbed his bag, and hiked the five miles that day to the place he was supposed to meet his friends.  No cell phone worked already.  There was no way to call them.  They hadn't thought about getting radios for some reason.  Sam battered himself for that oversight.  He waited three days, hunting small game with his re-curve bow, boiling the river water in his stainless steel water bottle, and drinking that.  Then the local camp site started getting too many people, and not many were of the good kind of people.

Sam had made the decision to move on.  He packed his things, and started hiking.  Keep moving, that was his motto for survival.  He left clues for his friends to follow for a year.  He never met up with them.  They lived more in the city, they must not have made it out.  He traveled almost everyday for that first year.  His shoes had worn out completely in only four months.  He made moccasins from the hide of a deer he found dead, and some fur from a rabbit.  They were shockingly comfortable.  After the first year, he tried to join a small group he came across. Things were good for a while.  They were on a farm in Kansas.  Flat ground, good visibility for a mile, no walker was going surprise them.  Even the few hordes that came their way were relatively easy to deal with.  It ended when a group of other survivors decided that their food and small cache of ammo was to be theirs.  They killed the man on the roof doing watch first with a sniper shot.  Then stormed the farm house.  Sam managed to make it to a tornado shelter with his pack before he was found. 

The group had all died resisting the invaders.  Sam found out they were a troop of marines that had abandoned their post when the orders stopped coming.  A couple of them had drank out in the barn, he spent the night hearing them talk about how easy the take was here.  He could hear them raping the two women that were in the group over and over through the night before just killing them.  When things finally settled down near the end of the night into the early morning, Sam quietly poured moonshine all over the outside of the house, and used his magnesium striker with his pocket knife and lit the house ablaze with the marines all in it, and ran away.  The death of that group haunts him daily now.  He feels like he should have fought.  Inside deep he knows he'd have just died with them.

It's been two years Sam has survived after his group got killed.  He's gotten good at avoiding humans, and walkers, and when needed, killing walkers as well.  He now settles in a mountain forested area as far off the map as he can get.  There's a river with a waterfall two hundred yards from his camp.  The river seems to attract the rare wandering walker away from his camp into the water where it gets washed away by the stream.  there's a natural spring right near his shelter.  His shelter is built between three large trees that grew close together.  It's small, but it isn't damaging the trees, and it's hidden a little in the canopy of the trees.  The casual hiker likely wouldn't notice it, and any walker can't climb to it.  In the surrounding woods, he has snares set up for small game.  He fishes with a spear in the river when the snares are empty.

Sam is quiet now, rarely using his voice at all.  He hasn't gone insane, he's just awkward.  Meet Sam Jones.  He is 5' 8", skinny, but not weak.  He wears mostly skins and furs.  He has a hand made bow about his shoulders.  A quiver of twenty hand made arrows.  He carries a full tang 8" knife in a leather sheath, it's not used to kill, it's for eating and crafting.  He has eight to ten sharpened wooden spikes that have been hardened and blackened in a fire.  Same treatments on his arrowheads.  These spikes are one time use zombie killers.  He carries three spare strings for his bow, and a crude ax made from onyx and wood.  He has short, roughly cut brown hair, blue eyes, and roughly cut short beard.

RainyHigh

This is a game I'd  be interested in. And Walking Dead zombies are scary as f*ck... (not as scary as Lizzie though).
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Belisuavious

DarkAngel111

FetzerDelRayne

I like your character sheet. I will be giving out a proper code that you can fill in so its easier to identify certain things

Also Everyone should feel free to put in your Character sheets, It will be a draft that can be submitted here. Once we have enough interested people we will make small changes and edits to it.

You can post your character sheet here or PM it to me.

Juggtacular

I'm interested in making an ex-soldier with some engineering skills. I suppose I'll wait until you make the official character sheet before I post him up.

DarkAngel111

Be sure that when you make some one with Engineering skills that there will be little to no mechanical objects available. No cars, although Engineering skills will come in handy when we make up a strong hold.

Juggtacular

Noted. But as you said, engineering can come in very handy for all sorts of things without needing electricity. Traps, construction knowledge, etc, etc...

DarkAngel111

yes. I just wanted to make sure you know. :)

So we have a engineer we have some one who is good with the bow.

Anyone else who wants to have the same skill set, should not shy away we may need more than one character with some skills.
Also you do not necessarily need to have a skill set. You can just be living one day at a time.

DarkAngel111

Name: James Wytte

Profession: Worked at a gun shop making rock salt shells. Trainee Cop

Skills: He is patient. Stealthy. Strategist.

Personality:
Cautious, Distrusting. Loyal to a fault when finally trusts someone..

Weapons: Yarborough Knife he had stolen from the shop, A cross Bow with 7 makeshift arrows 2 original (used mainly for hunting). Carries an old Machete that is heavily built to prevent breaking Not too sharp but enough to get through a walker’s head.

Weakness: Lack of Social Skills.

Fears: Being bitten, Being alone.

History: James Wytte came from a family who was quite wealthy; he had found at the age of 9 that he was actually adopted, although till then his parents had treated him as their own, once they had their own blood (a son born) they had treated him differently. At the age of 18 he had moved out, and soon joined a local gang, he had not talked to his adoptive family and had no wish to have any part in their wealth or inheritance. James had lived most of his late teens in bad company and as such he was a tough kid, but soon he grew out of the bad ways and got a full time job at a gun shop. At 23 he was accepted into the Police Academy and after rigorous training He was not able to finish. At 24 he was out in the world by himself.

James had lived through the end of world as bravely as he could although the first few days were the hardest, they had been better than what the world was like now. In the beginning it was easy to find things, scavenging was easier medicine was plentiful. Although in the beginning no one had imagined things would get so far. In the beginning rumors were widespread that a cure would be found and as such those who found food and medicine used them up for lightest of ailments. James had wished he had stashed something away for the bad times but he had not.

The first year into the apocalypse James had found numerous Camps. He moved from one to the other, if asked about who he was before the hell came to earth he had always told a lie. That he was a cop. That was something that always gained the trust of people being somewhat a tough guy he got through every camp with minor cuts and bruises Simply because he had been Selfish and thought of himself before anyone else. The longest stay he had was in a camp second year after X-day. It was a community which had been safe and nice. The people there used body armor for protection it was given to those who stood guard at the walls and inside the parameter. James being one of them had one for himself. It covered most of his upper body and thighs. It had been the best protection he had so far. The camp did not last too long 6 months after his arrival he had to flee the site overnight as it was overrun by the dead.

James had over the course of past 4 months been by himself using scraps of metal and cloth managed to make improvements to his body armor which now covered his legs down to his ankles. He had Large rubber boots which once belonged to some biker. They had not given in yet. The only weak spot in his armor was around his shoulder brackets which he had to leave uncovered to allow for movement.

DarkAngel111

Quote from: Juggtacular on March 19, 2014, 04:06:11 AM

Name: Dorian King Jr.

Profession: Veteran US Marine Scout Sniper, Mechanic & Engineer

Skills:
- Master Marksman
- Excels in Melee Combat
- Highly Tactical Mind
- Excellent Physical/Mental Conditioning
- Skilled in Mechanical Repair & Engineering

Personality: Dorian has always held a strong sense of justice, which is why he joined the military as soon as he graduated high school; to serve his country. It's also why he left the unit he'd joined up with after the apocalypse. He fully understands doing bad things for the greater good or out of necessity, but only if there's no alternative. He understands that people are scared, and with people in any group he's in, he needs to be firm and sometimes harsh. Not a fun part of the job, but necessary to keep people focused on survival. But at the same time he likes for his people to not only respect him, but like him. So sometimes he'll joke and mess around, but at the end of the day they know he doesn't give orders lightly, and if he does, they're for a damn good reason.

Weapons:
Tactical Tomahawks
FN Five-Seven(Integrated Suppressor)
MK14 EBR(Detachable Suppressor)

Weakness: Stubborn and very hardheaded

Fears: Getting turned into one of those things, and being betrayed by people he trusts.

History: Dorian's father was in the Marines and proudly served for several decades. He eventually retired with the rank of Rear Admiral. Beyond that, Dorian Sr. had a wealth of knowledge in Engineering and Mechanics. His father had been one top notch handyman, and he taught him everything he knew. He of course passed that knowledge onto his son, who seemed just as eager as he had been when he was a child. Dorian Jr. was a good kid. Got good grades, stayed out of trouble; was a nationally ranked ROTC marksman. He even got a dual scholarship offer for college. Instead he followed in the family tradition and joined the military.

As soon as he turned eighteen, he shipped off and joined the Marines as a Scout Sniper. His marks were exemplary, and as soon as he completed basic, he was put into active duty. For two and a half years he ranked up kills and did good work for his squad, until eventually he was promoted to a higher ranking unit. He was now the rookie on a veteran wet works squad codenamed "The Misfits", that had been without a good marksman for some time. He had to work his ass off to get any recognition, respect, or praise.

For almost an entire year he was treated as the odd man out, but eventually he won over his squadmates and became family to them. He'd found a place he loved and had no thoughts of leaving. He didn't and stayed in the military for 10 years, working his way up the ranks until he earned the rank of Captain and CC(Company Commander) of the Misfits. After one successful mission(off the record) in North Korea, he returned home and was forced to take a few months of leave. Say what you will about the military, but they treat their soldiers good(at times).

One day while watching the news, the entire world apparently up and went to shit. His parents didn't make it; the phone call he got from his dad cemented that fact. They'd been enjoying a nice walk in the park when a rioter decided a nice old couple were an easy mark. The guy didn't even hesitate to slice them open when they refused to give him their belongings. As much as he wanted to get his parents, to bury them properly. He knew that if he went out, there was a good chance he'd get killed.

So he loaded up everything he had and left. He was a soldier, and a damn good one. He was always prepared, and he had plenty of supplies, extra fuel, ammunition and things of that nature. Living in California, there were plenty of areas he could escape to. Places with a low population, or none at all. Even an old cabin high up in the hills that his dad always used to take him to. He left it all behind without a second thought, as survival was unfortunately more important than sentiment. He decided to hole up in the cabin, but eventually people found it, and when he didn't let them in, they tried to force their way in. It was a group of three guys who looked lucky to just be alive. They were no match for a Marine.

He didn't want to kill them, but he didn't hesitate since he considered his life vastly more valuable than theirs. He gave them a burial at least...since the smell would attract those damned Walkers. He lived in peace for a while before the undead began looking for more food. They found his cabin, and while it was well built, it wouldn't survive an army of those things pounding on the doors and windows. He packed up what he'd brought, and everything he could scrounge from the cabin and left. He drifted around after that, surviving by staying mostly alone and far out of the way. Eventually though he found a group of Marines in Kansas.

He figured hooking up with brothers was the way to go. Until they showed their true colors. They found a farmhouse with a group already occupying it. They scoped the place out and he could already tell the people there weren't fighters. He even saw a skinny guy that looked like a strong breeze would blow him over. He thought they'd maybe trade with them. Offer protection for a place to stay. After all they had ammo, guns, and manpower. But it wasn't gonna go down that way. He heard some of the men talking about taking the farmhouse; just killing everyone there. That wasn't who he was. They didn't need to go that far.

He would have complained, but it would be him against 13 guys who thought otherwise. He wasn't dumb. He waited until most of them headed out to claim the farm. Only he and Martinez stayed behind to guard their supplies. He killed Martinez without a second thought...he'd never really liked him anyway. With him dead, he once again scrounged up everything his truck could carry and left. He's been on the move constantly since then, not wanting to get tied down. He'll meet up with a group every now and then; stay for a while, and then move on.

He is a perfect example of what we don't want here. :)
It is easy to make a marine or a army background person.
The weapon choice at the moment seems he has all the weapons.
3+ years into the outbreak, there will only be 4-6 guns in the group. Maybe 30-40 rounds to go around.

Dorian King is good at everything which is not what we want. I would like the character to be a little more limited.
Being a Master Marksmen, an Engineer, and tactical mind. He can fight melee too. He does not need a group apparently. :)

This is not meant as an offense to anyone Just clarifying that I am looking for a bunch of regular people who have been hardened by the times. Not because they were trained.

Juggtacular

I get it. I'll see if I can get around to editing him and not making him a soldier. He's mainly a character that I made for another rp that never got off the ground. The only thing I really changed was parts of his backstory. Guess I need to read a bit more closely. 

DarkAngel111

Thank you,
The weapons will mainly be Melee. Knifes and Machets.

Handguns and Rifles, I will make a list available before we start. and Each Character will get a pick. No one will have more than one long range weapon. So might have to remove the weapons. Also, Just because your character likes to give orders. Will not mean that he will lead the group here. Just letting you know, It will be decided on your IN- game decisions.

Kekec

If you're alright with it, I would like to make a character who dies in the first, or a couple of introductory, posts.

DarkAngel111

Well I wouldn't mind, Do you plan on staying a while with another Character?.

Kekec

Perhaps. But I had a fit of fancy when I saw the title. I thought it would make the beginning a bit more engaging. :)

DarkAngel111

Kekec, I would like you to see your character profile :) So whenever you have it ready please post it here or PM it to me.

RainyHigh

Quote from: DarkAngel111 on March 19, 2014, 04:29:32 AM
Thank you,
The weapons will mainly be Melee. Knifes and Machets.

Handguns and Rifles, I will make a list available before we start. and Each Character will get a pick. No one will have more than one long range weapon. So might have to remove the weapons. Also, Just because your character likes to give orders. Will not mean that he will lead the group here. Just letting you know, It will be decided on your IN- game decisions.

SWEET! I plan for my character to have a machete.
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Bloodied Porcelain

Do you still have spots open? If Gnothi is in, I'm game. ;)
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

DarkAngel111

there are spots open Definitely! we need good people! A GM to help me out a bit would be nice too :)

Bloodied Porcelain

Now to think on characters... And how useful I want them to be. xD
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.