Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! (Warning: lots of images)

Started by Kunoichi, March 01, 2012, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gensokian

Well, that's quite an assortment, and oddly enough, it kinda makes sense that they'd all be together like that...somehow.

Maverick Hunter Cake

Awwww, no poochyena in the first route? He had the tendency to jump out at you in the first areas of the Hoenn region, I believe.

Kunoichi

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: Kunoichi on March 03, 2012, 02:12:42 PM
Poochyena shows up in Route 2. ;)
Yaaaaaay!  :D This rom seems pretty cool to play, and it does seem to be really hard...I wonder if the people who made this rom hack will make one for Pokemon Black and White 2.(Yep, there's a direct sequel being made for black and white version.)

Gensokian

A direct sequel to them? Man, Nintendo must be officially out of ideas of colors or precious gems. :/

Maverick Hunter Cake

Quote from: Gensokian on March 03, 2012, 03:13:36 PM
A direct sequel to them? Man, Nintendo must be officially out of ideas of colors or precious gems. :/

I think it's because in Black and White they did leave a few loose ties(Where did N go? The shadow triads warning and the fact they are still there.) they could work off of. I wouldn't really write it off just yet. At least it's better then a remake of Black and White.

Kunoichi

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! - Part 3: THE ADVENTURE BEGINS!

Dear Diary,
Today, I got Oshawott, my very first Pokemon!  I then proceeded to lose two matches in a row with him to my friends.  FML.

Well, I suppose I can't hide in my room forever...

My Mom's awesome. 8-)

I don't have anything to say to you, cheater. >:(

See?  Bianca doesn't want to hang out with you either, Cheren.

See you in a little bit, Bianca. :-)

You mean you lost your first Pokemon battle, too? :-( It must run in the family... D:

Insert Pokemon Center noise here.

Thanks. :-\

I can haz Bike nao?!  My Mom is awesome! 8-)

(Fun fact about Blaze Black and Volt White: You get access to the Bicycle right off the bat.  No need to go on foot to the next three cities or so!)

Oh, yeah, I probably should...

Hmm, go wait with stupid Cheren for Bianca to come back, or...

Wheeeeeeee! ;D

Oh, look, Bianca's house!  But why is someone inside shouting so loudly?  I'd better check out what's going on.

Hey, Bian-

:o

Ah.  Um... hey, Bianca.  Is everything alright?

...Okay.  See you in a bit. :-\

...You. >:(

You're a bad man, and you should feel bad. >:(

And you're being an enabler! >:(

My Mom is way more awesome than you. >:(

Wheeeeeeee!

We already know-

...Cheren, has anyone ever told you it's rude to interrupt other people?

I knew I should have worn my formal underwear today. :-X

I think you could learn a lot from studying my Oshawott.

Yeah.  I lost. :-(

...I'm not sure your definiton of 'trust' is the same as mine...

Eh, why not?  Given Oshawott's performance earlier today, I think I've got the perfect nickname for him...

:3

Poke-wha?

This is another one of those internet-things Cheren spends so much time looking up, isn't it?

Teacher's pet. :P

So...  You want us to do most of your work for you?

You don't have to shout, Professor Juniper.  We're standing right here.

...I don't know, it seems like an awful lot of work, and you're not even going to be paying us...

...What.

You're not actually giving me a choice in this, are you?

...Fine.  I'll do it. >:(

You guys are clearly a lot happier about this than I am.

...The best possible answer is you twisting my arm until I say yes?

Yeah, sure, whatever...

Hmm...  Yeah, I say go for it, Bianca. ^^ Live the dream!

See?  Cheren agrees with me.

Now, since Professor Juniper isn't here, let's see if she's got anything interesting laying around... :3

It does?

...Huh. I have my very own Trainer card...

;)

Alright, off to Route 1!

Oh, hi Mom.  Professor Juniper asked us to help her out with some Poke-whatsit project or something.

My Mom is awesome. 8-)

And with three, there's one for each of us. ^^

You guys only wish your parents were as cool as mine. ;D

Okay.  Thanks, Mom!

But Kenny lost two battles in a row. :-( Suddenly, I don't feel so safe...

Make sure you set Bianca's Dad straight, okay?

And waving goodbye, she walked back to my house.

Yes, Cheren, we all know how maps work.

Yeah, we'd better hurry up and leave, before my Mom tells your Dad that we're skipping town.

Wheeeeeeee! ;D

I know, Bianca.  The town only has one exit.

...That was redundant.

Three!

...What's he so eager about?

I'm not.

Oh, good, so I don't have to do any writing.

I think I've seen this part on TV...

Yep, just like in that Pokeball commercial.

No, I was too busy lusting after your sexy, labcoat-clad form. ::)

Wait...  Lusting after...  And Cheren seemed awfully eager to not keep you waiting...

...I only get five?

Yeah, I know.  I'm keeping Kenny in one of these things, remember?

Oh god, Cheren's staring at her rear. D:

No, Cheren, she just didn't see the need to mention it because they covered that in pre-school.  Remember?  All those colorful posters and teachers telling the little kids again and again that it wasn't safe to go out into the wild without a Pokemon by your side?

...I guess I'd better go as well...

I kinda want to buy Potions, myself.

?

Oh?

Down, boy.  I don't think she's interested.

...A chance to make up for my earlier humiliating defeats?

You're on.

Seriously, Cheren, she had a picture in her lab where she was standing next to another man.  I'm pretty sure she's taken.

Raid the first-aid cabinet, got it.

And on to Route 1...

Sentret, the Scout Pokemon
When Sentret sleeps, it does so while another stands guard. The sentry stands on its tail so it can see a long way. If it spots an enemy, it cries loudly to warn its kind. It has a very nervous nature. When this Pokémon becomes separated from its pack, it becomes incapable of sleep due to fear.

Tally's moves are Dizzy Punch, Scratch, and Foresight.  The first move does more damage than the second and has a chance of causing Confusion, while the last move makes it so that Ghost types can be hit by Normal- and Fighting-type attacks, and resets an opponent's evasion stat to normal.  You'll want to use it if someone's been abusing Double Team.

Tally's ability is Frisk, which lets her tell what item an opponent is holding, if it has one.

Lillipup was tougher to catch than the others.  I wasted a Pokeball. :-(

Lillipup, the Puppy Pokemon
The long hair around its face provides an amazing radar that lets it sense subtle changes in its surroundings. It faces strong opponents with great courage. But, when at a disadvantage in a fight, this intelligent Pokémon flees.

Scamp's moves are Leer, Tackle, and Odor Sleuth.  Odor Sleuth is exactly like Foresight, and Leer lowers an opponent's defense.  I'm sure I don't have to explain what Tackle does.

Scamp's ability is Pickup.  In battle, if she isn't carrying anything, she can pick up used berries and other single-use carried items that the opponent's Pokemon makes use of during the battle.  Also, if the opponent uses a move called Fling, which involves throwing a held item at the target, she can make use of it then, as well.

Outside of battle, she's got a 10% chance of randomly picking up free items. ^^

Ah, Bidoof, the much-maligned rodent of Generation IV.  Seen here using his ability, Moody, which randomly raises one stat and then lowers another each round during the combat.

Bidoof, the Plump Mouse Pokemon
With nerves of steel, nothing can perturb it. It is more agile and active than it appears. It nests alongside water. It constantly gnaws on logs and rocks to whittle down its front teeth. A comparison revealed that Bidoof's front teeth grow at the same rate as Rattata's.

The only move Doof knows at the moment is Tackle and his stats are terrible.  Also, when he evolves at level 15, he'll become the Normal/Water-type Pokemon Bibarel, meaning Kenny will render him redundant.

Guess who's going to be sitting in the computer once I get to the Pokemon Center? :3

This nice person gave me a Potion!  ...I promptly used it to heal Kenny, though. ^^;

Hoothoot, the Owl Pokemon
Hoothoot has an internal organ that senses and tracks the earth's rotation. Using this special organ, this Pokémon begins hooting at precisely the same time every day. It always stands on one foot. Even when attacked, it does not brace itself using both feet. It changes feet so fast, the movement can rarely be seen. Some countries consider it to be a wise friend, versed in the world's ways.

'Cause Athena was the goddess of wisdom, and the owl was her symbol, get it? ^^;

Athena has four moves at this level.  Tackle you already know, Growl lowers the opponent's Attack, Foresight you already know, and her fourth move is Night Shade, a Ghost-type move.  It always inflicts damage to the target equal to the user's level, regardless of type advantage or disadvantage.  Normal-type Pokemon still get to take advantage of their immunity to Ghost-type moves, though.

Now, admittedly, at level 3, this isn't a very useful move.  At level 45, it'll be pretty powerful, though, and at level 100...

Athena's ability is Insomnia, which keeps her from being put to sleep.

I'm out of Pokeballs now, so yes.

...Oh really...? >:)

Check it, five Pokemon!  You can bow down and start worshipping me, now. 8-)

Nah, I'm more excited about winning something today.

...You're imagining her in her underwear now, aren't you? D:

Agh!  ...Oh, it's just my phone.

It's a video-phone? :o

Professor Juniper looks kinda mad.  Maybe we kept her waiting too long...

Okay, nobody's around?

>>

<<

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! ;D

Gensokian

Wow, you were busy...@.@

I've just now noticed how much pushing the professors do now, though, and how it's kinda mean to those who just wanna spend time playing with the Pokemon. >w>

Kunoichi

Yeah, when it comes to the Professors, you're generally better off just nodding your head until they're done.  They like to talk a lot, and generally don't take no for an answer, so it's pretty annoying to try and fight them on things.

They really shouldn't present the illusion of choice like that, though...

Edit: Oh, by the way, here's the real reason I like getting the bike early.

Pokémon Black and White - Bicycle Theme EXTENDED

Wheeeeee! ;D

Gensokian

The bike music just keeps getting better and better. It's like they have more software to work with better sounds and instruments or something. >w>

Chris Brady

I love the internal dialog.  Thanks Kuni-chan.  That was freakin' hilarious.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

You're welcome, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^^

Ah, and speaking of improvements made in music, I should probably also toss in the music that was playing during the Bianca and Cheren fights...

Pokémon Black and White Music Rival Battle Extended

It's the best rival music ever. ;D

Kunoichi

Let's Play Pokemon: Volt White! - Part 4: Catchin' Friends and Meetin' Foes

Wheeeee-okay, on to the Pokemon Center.

Here I am.

...Rock you like a hurricane. >>;

Yeah.  It'd be more fun if this was one of those games with Walking Pokemon, though.  Like Yellow, or HeartGold and SoulSilver.

You can't really see it at this angle, but Cheren is over in the town square to the left, sulking.  I guess he got rejected.

Well, it is air-conditioned...

Bianca's a lot more excited about this than I am.

...Okay.  That's convenient.

But I thought Cheren and Bianca were my best friends?

Well, alright, I guess my pokemon did take some dama-

...Okay, you two are being jerks.  I'll come back later.

Yep.  It's another choice that isn't actually a choice, folks.

Yes, since someone is twisting my arm about it.

That was quick.  And much more polite than the other two people on this side of the counter.

I know how to use a computer, Professor Juniper.  You should let Bianca be the one to give it a try.  Her Dad wouldn't let her get one.

More free stuff? Oo; Are these places the reason our taxes are so high?

...Yeah, that sounds like something that would cost a small fortune to install and maintain.

That's... not really cool at all, Professor.

Hmm.  I'm kinda curious about that, myself.

You don't actually know the answer, do you? :-X

...Oh.  Maybe you do.

False alarm.  She doesn't know who this 'Someone' is at all, Bianca.

Didn't these used to be in separate buildings?

It's true, he's smiling at us right now.

...It's kinda creepy.

Cheren probably looked this stuff up on the internet.  That cheater.

I don't believe you in the slightest.  She probably just wants to borrow us as text subjects for something. >:(

Yeah, whatever, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Well, I certainly know what I'm getting.

You get a Premier Ball any time you buy ten Poke Balls.  It's basically a regular Poke Ball with different coloring.

I could've gotten twice as many of these things if I'd won against Cheren and Bianca. :-\

Hmm, sit with Cheren at what appears to be a boring seminar of some sort, or go catch more Pokemon?  I wonder which I want to do...

We got four Pokemon out of eight last time, so that means we only need four more to complete the set.  Let's see what we can find...

Awesome, that's one we need!  Get 'im, Kenny!

He killed Kenny. :'( That jerk...

Oh well, I've got reserves.

Zigzagoon, the TinyRaccoon Pokemon
Zigzagoon restlessly wanders everywhere at all times. This Pokémon does so because it is very curious. It becomes interested in anything that it happens to see. The hair on Zigzagoon's back is bristly. It rubs the hard back hair against trees to leave its territorial markings. This Pokémon may play dead to fool foes in battle.

Askew's moves are Growl, Tackle, and Tail Whip.  Growl and Tail Whip lower Attack and Defense, respectively, and they usually wind up getting swapped out for better moves as quickly as possible.

Askew has the same ability as Lillipup, Pickup.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice this at the time...

...So he wound up going in the box when I dropped off some superfluous members of the team.

Alright!  Another one of the Pokemon we're looking for!  Go get 'im again, Kenny!

...And then it took me an hour to find another one.  Kenny broke his losing streak, though, and in the meantime, other stuff happened.

Starly, the Starling Pokemon
Because they are weak individually, they form groups. However, they bicker if the group grows too big. They flock around mountains and fields, chasing after bug Pokémon. Their singing is noisy and annoying. Though small, they flap their wings with great power.

Named him after a G.I. Joe character. :-)

Hawk's moves were Tackle and Growl, and his ability is Keen Eye, which prevents his accuracy from being lowered.  This is a useful ability on this route, because the Pidgeys here love to use Sand-Attack.

Incidentally, Starly?  Introduced as the early-game bird Pokemon of Generation IV.  Surprisingly strong for the area you find them at, and it can evolve twice, which means it tends to stay relevant all throughout the game.

To give you a good idea of its power, Starly's second stage of evolution, Staravia, is as strong as Pidgey's third stage evolution, Pidgeot.  This bird is awesome. 8-)

Pidgey, the Tiny Bird Pokemon
Pidgey has an extremely sharp sense of direction. It is capable of unerringly returning home to its nest, however far it may be removed from its familiar surroundings. Common in grassy areas and forests, it is very docile and prefers to avoid conflict. If disturbed, it will often kick up sand to protect itself rather than fight back.

Big Pecks had three moves when I caught him, Tackle, Gust and Razor Wind.  Gust is a Flying-type move that deals some decent damage for this level, while Razor Wind is a fairly powerful Normal-type move with only 10 PP, in which the user spends one turn building up a whirlwind, then sends it to hit the target on the next turn.

Pidgey was given Razor Wind and Gust at lower-than-normal levels in this hack to keep Starly from rendering it irrelevant.

Also, Big Pecks' ability is called Big Pecks. :P It renders him immune to any attempt to lower his defense stats.

Hypnosis puts Pokemon to sleep, which is useful for catching them.  It isn't the most accurate sleep-inducing move out there, however...

Sand-Attack is a Ground-type move that lowers the target's accuracy.  It's mentioned in the last line of the Pokedex entry above, and the Pidgeys on Route 1 certainly like to use it a lot.

Pick Up is a really cool ability.  Pity Askew was left in the box for this part.

Bite is a decently-powerful Dark-type move, especially at this early level in the game.  More importantly any opponent hit by it has a chance to Flinch, effectively negating their move for the round.

And then, after an hour had passed and most of the Pokemon I was using had levelled up significantly, this happened:

Rattata, the Mouse Pokemon
Rattata is cautious in the extreme. Even while it is asleep, it constantly listens by moving its ears around. It is not picky about where it lives - it will make its nest anywhere. Its fangs are long and very sharp. They grow continuously, so it gnaws on hard things to whittle them down.

Pinky's moves are Tackle, Tail Whip, Bite, and Quick Attack.  Quick Attack is an attack that causes the user to always go first.  It can be pretty handy in a fight.

Pinky's ability is Guts, which raises her Attack if she picks up a status problem.  Not a bad boost to get when you've been Burned or Paralyzed.

And back to the Pokemon Center to drop off another Pokemon, and while I was there, Scamp picked up something else...

And this is the team I chose to take with me when I left the Pokecenter to go check out that rally, or whatever it is.

Cheren, I'm standing right in front of you. ::)

...The background music suddenly got all dark and creepy... :o

I didn't say anything during the speech because all those guys in uniform looked like they were there to beat up hecklers.

Well, I note that the man never actually presented any sort of evidence for anything he was saying...

Nothing is impossi-! Oh, the crowd's breaking up.

No he doesn't Cheren.  You just listen too slow.

I don't need your pity. >:(

...Really?  Man, your parents definitely aren't as awesome as mine.

Way to go, Cheren. >:( I suppose you'll be giving him all your credit card information, next?

Well, I suppose we could always catch and release...

...But if you can talk to Pokemon, what's stopping you from just asking them?

Okay, I suppose I walked into that one.

Alright, there's no way I'm losing this one!

And then Pinky was knocked unconscious. :-(

The attack that Nincada used to KO Pinky was a Bug-type move called Bug Bite.  As a Flying-type Pokemon, Athena is resistant to this move, so N had to rely on the weaker Quick Attack...

...With predictable results. ;)

If I hadn't put Big Pecks in the box, his Gust move would have been super-effective against the Fighting-type Mankey.  He wasn't there, though, so I decided to see if Kenny was really past his losing streak.

He was.

N's final Pokemon was the Dark-type Purrloin.  Since I gave Kenny a shot, I figured I'd give someone else a chance for the last one.

Won without a scratch. 8-) Also, I didn't catch it, but he learned his first Flying-type move, Wing Attack, at this level.

Penny for your thoughts, Cheren?

My sentiments exactly.

Yeah, plus I guess I can just beat him up if he tries something.

Really?  'Cause my team's gotten pretty strong from just beating up on wild Pokemon.

Oh, sure, just ignore me and walk away any time I have an opinion. >:( Real mature, Cheren.

Welp, back to the Pokemon Center...

And with Askew and Big Pecks back on my team, we'll be hitting Route 2 on the next update!

Incidentally, folks, it's that time again...  Time for another Reader Participation Round!

The following wild Pokemon can be found on the next Route:

Caterpie
Kricketot
Mankey
Meowth
Patrat
Poochyena
Purrloin
Spearow
Weedle
Wurmple

If you'd like to get a quick mention in the LP, feel free to come up with names for as many of these Pokemon as you feel like coming up with names for.  I won't necessarily use all name suggestions, but I'm sure you guys can come up with better names than I can. ^^;

Gensokian

Lots more of being busy...and that Team Plasma sounds a lot like Pokemon PETA. >w>

As for nicknames...uh...well, I guess Caterpie can be Hermy, like Hermy the Wormy. >w<

DarkWorld0BrightHope

Well at least they sound like they care about their pokemon... though they obviously are just fancypants showboaters.

N seems like a nice boy, albeit... a bit zealous. Sure its good he cares about Pokemon, but the whole shoving his opinions down my throat thing througb use of pokeviolence isn't doing much to convince me he's worth listening to, even should his conclusion be valid.

I care about my animals, and my pokemon, i would like to believe I take care of the as well... rather than being some faceless asshole control freak. Hmph.

Looking for writing prompts, 500-1000 words. Will do one a day.

Kunoichi

Actually, I don't think N was really trying to shove his opinions down anyone's throat.  He just made some wild claims, asked for a battle, then declared his own opinion and left.

That does make him a bit rude, though.

Quote from: Gensokian on March 04, 2012, 10:25:02 PM
Lots more of being busy...and that Team Plasma sounds a lot like Pokemon PETA. >w>

As for nicknames...uh...well, I guess Caterpie can be Hermy, like Hermy the Wormy. >w<

I think Hermy the Wormy would be a better name for Wurmple, Genso. :P

Though, there is also another bug-type Pokemon called Burmy that shows up later...

Chris Brady

Back in Crystal, I chose to be the 'Eevee Trainer' and just used the various evolutions, like Flareon and Vaporen and Espeon.  I wonder if I could do this here, too.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Kunoichi

Well, looking through the documentation, it takes a little while before you start seeing wild Eevees, but once you do, there certainly isn't anything stopping you from catching as many as you want.  They've apparently had their movesets reworked quite a bit as well, from what I'm seeing.

DarkWorld0BrightHope

Pascal or Patsy for your potential Patrat.
If not those, I also have Prada and Pritchard for it as well.

Almost want to suggest Parcheesi
Looking for writing prompts, 500-1000 words. Will do one a day.

Kunoichi

Ooh, good ones. ^^ And I've already decided to name Kricketot after a famous composer, though I haven't decided which one yet.

I have to say, though, once I get to that point, tackling the gym is going to be a rather... interesting experience.  In particular, the battle style is something new and unique to Generation V...

BraveEarth

OMG THIS IS AWESOME

I totally shouldn't be reading this when I have a paper due...

I must research all the routes of this version to see what sorts of things arise

Also your nicknames for the pokemon are funny and witty :D

Kunoichi

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. ^^

Hmm.  Having peeked ahead for a private playthrough of the alternate version, Blaze Black, I think I can safely say that I'm about two or three updates away from the point where the number of wild Pokemon available suddenly explodes into some incredibly huge number. ^^; I'll probably put off catching all the wild Pokemon in Route 3 for after I beat the gym of the town that comes afterwards.  But then there are two areas with different Pokemon in them right after that, as well...

I'm starting to think my completionist tendencies are going to be working against me, here. >>;

BraveEarth

Especially when you consider the really level hungry evolutions of Gen V (It is a bit ridiculous to see second evolution requirements Average in the 30s) and the sheer volume of pokemon you need to evolve in order to complete your dex. Not to mention the Treevolution familes of Eevee and Tyrogue + the Wurmple ID Code evolution decider. >>;; What me? A pokemon nerd? Nooooo <<;;

Maverick Hunter Cake

Name your Poochyena Spike! He'll be like all of those big old dogs with the potential of being a powerhouse.

And may I also suggest Chopin for your Kricketune? It would seem to be fitting a musical pokemon.

Kunoichi

Quote from: BraveEarth on March 08, 2012, 01:37:47 AM
Especially when you consider the really level hungry evolutions of Gen V (It is a bit ridiculous to see second evolution requirements Average in the 30s) and the sheer volume of pokemon you need to evolve in order to complete your dex. Not to mention the Treevolution familes of Eevee and Tyrogue + the Wurmple ID Code evolution decider. >>;; What me? A pokemon nerd? Nooooo <<;;

Well, for Tyrogue, at least, you can catch both it and all three of its evolutions wild.  Wurmple definitely is a bit of a pain, though...

Thankfully, there's a certain common Pokemon that gives out some pretty huge chunks of XP, so leveling won't be that much of a problem. ^^

Quote from: Maverick Hunter Cake on March 08, 2012, 06:19:48 AM
Name your Poochyena Spike! He'll be like all of those big old dogs with the potential of being a powerhouse.

And may I also suggest Chopin for your Kricketune? It would seem to be fitting a musical pokemon.

Ooh, good names. ;D