PewDiePie and the bad word dramaz

Started by Cognitive Brainfart, September 14, 2017, 06:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

la dame en noir

Quote from: WindFish on September 18, 2017, 12:19:37 PM
Yup, I wasn't surprised when I saw that behavior. If Felix doesn't want to be seen as racist or as a Neo-Nazi sympathizer, he needs to disavow these fans and discourage this behavior from them.

Although what struck me as strange is that YouTube seems to encourage it since they apparently got rid of the feature that allowed you to block trolls from replying to your comments.
They certainly did. I hate that they won't let me block people.
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Oniya

Overall, YouTube subscribers as a whole are younger, mostly because older viewers tend to browse more than focus on a particular 'tuber.  (There's a reason the TV remote was invented - click..... click..... click......)  You can follow a channel 'unofficially', simply by hitting it when it pops up in the 'Recommended For You' - which it will when you've watched a particular person a few times.  There are a few channels that I return to periodically, but I haven't clicked the 'Subscribe' button.  So, yes, PDP knows that most of his 50 million subscribers are youngish.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

WindFish

Quote from: Khoraz on September 18, 2017, 12:19:45 PM
3. Here is where I get iffy - are most of his fans children? Though even if they are, is any creator responsible for their fanbase? If a filmmaker makes a racially-charged film or something, are they responsible for all the thousands of people who watch it? Surely no?
4. The alt-right thing makes me cringe. I've seen it batted around an awful lot - to the extent that it feels watered down to me. Kind of linked to the above comment, is he responsible for what other people decide about him? I bet that if he had denounced it, plenty of people would say "Oh he's just covering!" or something like that.

The key point is that Felix is a role model for children. They look up to him and want to emulate him. Most children aren't going to give a shit about a filmmaker. He needs to be mindful of what he says especially for this reason. It's much easier for children to watch a PewDiePie video than a racially charged movie that would probably have a R or NC-17 rating.

I can't speak for all of his critics, but if he said that he denounced the alt-right and discouraged the racist and abusive behavior from his fans, I'd have taken his apology much more seriously.

Quote from: la dame en noir on September 18, 2017, 12:25:00 PM
They certainly did. I hate that they won't let me block people.

Another reason why I think YouTube's gone down the crapper. They care more about hits and likes than they do about protecting their users, although that's probably a different topic for a different thread.
Actively Searching For New One x Ones

Search Thread
O/Os
F-List

TheGlyphstone

hits and likes = advertising views, after all, and ad views = $$$.

SINless

Quote from: WindFish on September 18, 2017, 12:47:19 PM
The key point is that Felix is a role model for children. They look up to him and want to emulate him. Most children aren't going to give a shit about a filmmaker. He needs to be mindful of what he says especially for this reason. It's much easier for children to watch a PewDiePie video than a racially charged movie that would probably have a R or NC-17 rating.

I can't speak for all of his critics, but if he said that he denounced the alt-right and discouraged the racist and abusive behavior from his fans, I'd have taken his apology much more seriously.
There were bad people on both sides.....

Sorry, couldn't help myself there.
Quote from: WindFish on September 18, 2017, 12:47:19 PM
Another reason why I think YouTube's gone down the crapper. They care more about hits and likes than they do about protecting their users, although that's probably a different topic for a different thread.

That was always the case. Protecting the user is a bad businessmodel, unless they're a paying user. Getting as many hits as possible is what attracts ad agencies. Well, this may change now that big brands are finding conscientiousness attracts consumers

Oniya

Quote from: SINless on September 19, 2017, 09:35:56 AM
There were bad people on both sides.....

Sorry, couldn't help myself there.
That was always the case. Protecting the user is a bad businessmodel, unless they're a paying user. Getting as many hits as possible is what attracts ad agencies. Well, this may change now that big brands are finding conscientiousness attracts consumers

As Windfish said, the YouTube situation itself is probably a rant for another thread, but YouTube isn't even really giving a damn about the bulk of its producers - the people who create the content that the advertisers advertise on. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17