Fallout 2d20 [System Game] [RP Heavy] [Early Interest Feeler]

Started by Malkavian, April 02, 2021, 04:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malkavian

War. War never changes.

The Romans waged war to gather slaves and wealth. Spain built an empire from its lust for gold and territory. Hitler shaped a battered Germany into an economic super-power.

But war never changes.

In the 21st century, war still waged over the resources that could be acquired, only this time the spoils of war were also its weapons: petroleum and uranium. For these resources, China would invade Alaska, the U.S. would annex Canada, and the European Commonwealth would dissolve into quarrelling, bickering nation-states bent on controlling the last remaining resources on Earth.

In 2077 the storm of world war had come again: in two brief hours, most of the planet was reduced to cinders, and from the ashes of nuclear devastation, a new civilisation would struggle to arise. A few were able to reach the relative safety of the large underground vaults. Imprisoned safely behind the large vault doors, under a mountain of stone, generations have lived without knowledge of the outside world.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world; instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history.

For man had succeeded in destroying the world, but war... war never changes.

At of the end of March, Modiphius released the PDF for Fallout: The Roleplaying Game, the first official pen-and-paper table-top game set in the Fallout universe. As a massive Fallout fan who has been playing the games since her childhood, I purchased it immediately, and am now highly eager to give this game a go.

(Please note that this thread is intended as an Early Interest Feeler: I'll only press on with the idea should time permit, and if I find a handful of suitable players to run it for.)

What follows is some basic information about the game I am proposing:

Rules: This game will be played using the 2d20 system released by Modiphius.

Smut: Whilst the world of Fallout is adult, and deals with a lot of adult themes and situations, this game is not intended to be smut-focused. Whilst sex can happen - either between PCs, or between NPCs and PCs - it should happen sparingly, and only as a result of the narrative. This is also not a game where every post should focus on how sexy and orgasm-inducingly hot your character is: I'm looking to tell an enjoyable, communal story in the Wasteland, and not merely provide a platform for folks to describe how gorgeously their hourglass body fits into a vault-suit. (Apologies if this seems blunt or harsh: I just wish my expectations on what I'm looking to run to be clear right from the off. I also have no prejudice against smut-focused games or characters - they just do not apply here.)

Players: I would be looking for 3-4 players for this (5 at an absolute push). This will not be first-come, first-serve: I will be selecting players based on the suitability of their concepts, as well as compatibility of writing styles (with myself and others I've accepted into the game).

Situation Overview: Following the nuclear annihilation of the Great War, the Boston region was largely devastated, but in the violence and despair of post-War survival, “The Commonwealth” became a common way to describe the area.

While there were attempts post-War to form a unified government within the region, all eventually collapsed due to infighting or sabotage. The most notable being the assassination of the entire Commonwealth Provisional Government in the 2230s by a synth from The Institute.

The Institute, an advanced scientific and technological organization, had been working for decades in secret, occasionally leaving its underground facilities to trade or scavenge equipment and data from other denizens of the wasteland. Rumors even exist of them recently raiding a vault shelter in the northwest to attain the DNA of a non-irradiated resident for scientific research. In 2229, however, the nature of its advanced technology and potential prominence became apparent to the wider world when in Diamond City a defective synth slaughtered a group of wastelanders without provocation. After inspection of the body by Diamond City residents revealed its artificial nature, synths, and the Institute itself were treated with paranoia and fear, even generations after the incident.

Over time, the Institute has initiated two controversial mandates. The first is that of slowly replacing individuals in the wasteland with synthetic versions of themselves, controllable by the Institute. Those discovering they are synthetic have responded with a variety of reactions, from shock to fear, as the Institute has been known to “reset” synths who step out of line or attempt to flee. Secondly, the Institute has started sending synthetic agents out into the wasteland to bring back other synths who attempt to escape life in the Initiative, by force if necessary. An underground group known as “The Railroad” has repeatedly organized itself in an attempt to aid those seeking freedom, but this situation appears to be precarious as the Railroad’s position at a settlement known as “Bunker Hill” has been revealed to the Initiative synth-hunters, or “coursers.”

Despite the prominence of the Institute and the collapse of the Provisional Government, many of the citizenship of the Commonwealth have worked towards a shared interest of self-preservation. Prior to 2230, a civilian militia calling themselves the “Minutemen” formed from the efforts of various settlements to protect the life they know. While their push to create the Commonwealth Provisional Government failed, due to the actions of Institute synths, they remained a force of security and welfare for the wasteland until internal fracturing was exacerbated by the loss of their headquarters to wasteland wildlife. Finally, when an organized raider force known as the Gunners attacked one of their last remaining holdouts in 2287, the few remaining Minutemen largely disbanded. Only a small group of Minutemen remain, barricaded in the Museum of Freedom to the northwest and besieged by raiders; it remains to be seen if they will ever rise to the prominence of their former status. If so, they may have enough trust and history with the local denizens to be able to work with settlements and provide a sense of stability in the region.

The wasteland’s current internal difficulties have also drawn attention from the outside. Over the years, reconnaissance squads from the Brotherhood of Steel on the East Coast have travelled to the Commonwealth to investigate the region and uncover any existing exploitable technology which exists. As of 2287, a major Brotherhood force is on the cusp of arriving, backed by some of the most advanced military hardware its members have at their disposal. The Prydwen, a modified and armoured Brotherhood airship, is inbound and stands ready to deploy its soldiers at a moment’s notice.

(For clarification, this game will begin just before the events of Fallout 4: the Sole Survivor is still cryogenically frozen in Vault 111; the Minutemen survivors are making their way towards Sanctuary Hills, their numbers dwindling rapidly; and rampant paranoia regarding the Institute still claims the Commonwealth.)

A Note on Canon: The actions of the player characters might very well influence, or completely change, the "canon" of the Fallout 4 computer game - such as it exists - for better or for worse. Nothing is sacrosanct.

Applying to Play & Character Creation: When looking to join the game, players should pitch me their character ideas only, as well as provide me with a writing sample that features the character that they've put forwards. (Please keep in mind when coming up with the concept that your character's experiences in the Wasteland so far will have been limited, as their stats will reflect.)

Once I have my 3-4(5) players, I'll look to go through character creation with each in turn, either over Discord (where possible), or through PMs or this thread. Where necessary, I will impose limitations on ideas to keep things sensible, and the group balanced: there won't be more than one player who could have come across Dogmeat, for example (which would come with it's own quest involving Concord), and I'll not be allowing multiple players to grab Mysterious Stranger; I'd also like to push for some variety in the Tag Skills/Skill arrays chosen, to ensure the group is versatile enough to handle most situations (though I'll be less strict about this part than I will about certain Perks being replicated among characters). I will only be allowing one Vault Dweller character, who cannot have come from Vault 111 (for obvious reasons).

All characters will begin at 1st level. They do not have to know one another before the game begins, though pre-existing character relationships are certainly possible.

A Note on Discord: It would be beneficial if all players had access to Discord, so that a group could be made for this game and more rapid communication could be shared, which would help coordinate posting and also help for more rapid-paced part of game-play like combat. However, Discord is not essential, and should not everyone have it we will instead keep communications to the OOC Thread for this game.

A Note on Dice Rolls: In the interest of fairness, I would ask that all dice rolls made in this game be performed on the E dice roller and sent to me directly. This ensures that everything is consistent, and that everyone is using the same means to roll. Results of a dice roll can be linked or summarised to other players freely, but I must be linked into the original roll when it made for it to count. This applies to everyone. Failure to link me in to rolls directly will result in them needing to be re-rolled.

A Note on Advancement: I am not yet sure whether I will use the Experience Point or Milestone system of character advancement. The latter is certainly easier in terms of book-keeping, but I will look at Experience Points properly before I decide.

"With a Bang, or a Whimper" Introductory Adventure: As I am still getting used to the system variation shown in Fallout: The Roleplaying Game, I am considering beginning the campaign off using the introductory adventure provided at the back of the core rulebook. Obviously, then, it's to the benefit of anyone applying here to not read this adventure, if they haven't already.

Once I've gotten used to the system, and am confident enough to branch off into my own stories, I'll move away from the introductory adventure and onto my own thing.

Questions or Statements of Interest: Feel free to post them here!

Ixy

I really enjoy the Fallout setting, and thought that Fallout 3, NV, and 4 were some of the best games I ever played story-wise.  In fact, one of the most fun RPs I've had on Elliquiy was in a Fallout bunker setting.  If the group pans out in a way that I could contribute and fit in, I would like to be considered for a part in this one.  It's been some time since I played anything in the Commonwealth setting, and to preserve some element of surprise I won't be reading ahead too far into the premade adventures... simply let us know what kind of information you'd like to see as far as an expression of interest, character idea, etc. and I'll be glad to DM or post some prewriting.

Malkavian

A basic concept, perhaps with a rough background summary, is a good place to start. :-) Knowing whether your concept would fall into the Origin of Brotherhood Initiate, Ghoul, Super Mutant, Mister Handy, Survivor, or Vault Dweller would also help (keeping in mind that I'm only allowing one Dweller).

Rafael

Marking my interest for this.
Are you open to considering multiple vault dwellers from the same vault?

Malkavian

Possibly, but no promises. Keen to get a diverse group where possible (and not just where stats are concerned).

TheHangedOne

Hello, Demiurge. ;3 I, too, have been playing Fallout since the very first one, when I was a wee young'un. Definitely interested.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Chrisking777

I'm interested. Tho my character concept I don't if it allowed. I just got my book But I'm interested in joining

Malkavian

I don't think the one you mentioned to me would be, since the characters would all be level 1. ;D

CyrodilicBrandy

So I preordered the RPG (my bank account is crying) so would be interested.

Malkavian

Hey stranger! Good to see you!

So far, only one person has sent me concepts (with points I made in my first post in mind), so feel free to do the same, all.

Malkavian

Not yet received any further concepts or interest confirmations from this.

If someone would rather run it than play it, I'm happy to play a Vault Dweller and step down out of the GM role; or, if people are still interested, let me know before I shelve the idea.

Ixy

I love this setting so much that I would run it, but don't know the system well enough.  If I were to do it, I'd prefer it to be freeform based on the creation/leveling rules as guidelines for "who can do what".  And, of course, I'd cheat heavily to give players advantages/disadvantages to create an interesting story rather than a stat-battle.  I don't know how much appeal that would still potentially have, but the offer is extended.  Sound possible?

Malkavian

Whilst I would not reject a free-form Fallout game - especially if it gave me the chance to play my Vault Dweller! - I would like to use the system if at all possible (having spent the money on it, I'm keen to have it actually see use).

If you're willing to consider the system, I am more than happy to help you with it where possible. My friend play-tested lots of the Modiphius 2d20 titles (including Fallout), and I've been playing them for quite a while. Thought it can look daunting at first, it's quite simple when you wrap your head around the basic mechanic.

TheHangedOne

Hey there. Sorry, I've spent the past week slowly recovering from vaccination. That being said, I'm still finding myself pretty tired, so I will sadly have to sit this one out.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

MetroFallout

Definitely marking my interest. Fallout's one half of my name after all.

Urbanzorro

I’d be up for running the game if that works for you guys.
I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

My Idea Page
Things I Enjoy 
My Apologies.

Malkavian

Assuming Ixy doesn't push for GM-ship, I'm good with that. I've already begun forming Vault Dweller plans, but would need to discuss finer details with whomever runs it.

Ixy

I'm in no hurry to take on an ST role in any way, and if someone does desire to run this then I'm certain they'll ask for the concepts or applications in the format they prefer.

Malkavian

Quote from: Ixy on April 11, 2021, 03:24:14 PMI'm in no hurry to take on an ST role in any way, and if someone does desire to run this then I'm certain they'll ask for the concepts or applications in the format they prefer.

Cool! Would be fun to play my Vault Dweller alongside the first concept you sent me before, if that's permissible - I think they'd make for an interesting dynamic.

mjrbatou

I've only thought of 3 possible characters so far, an actual backstory would come when I know more about who's running and how/where the game would be played.

- An ex raider who realized the raiding lifestyle is not a long term plan for survival.
- A Child of Atom who became disillusioned with Atom's fanatical teachings and set out on their own path.
- A robot (based on the mechanist dlc) who's personality remained intact, but faction allegiance and current orders/instructions were wiped on purpose or by accident.

Posting here since I'm not certain who's stepping into the GM role.

MetroFallout

I've had the concept of a Desert Ranger turned bounty hunter after the Ranger Unification Treaty for the longest time. Could've chased bounties across the country till he reached the Commonwealth.

Rafael

I was considering a Big hulking brute of a character. Not so much for stealth or big brain maneuvers.

MetroFallout

Quote from: Rafael on April 12, 2021, 01:17:18 AM
I was considering a Big hulking brute of a character. Not so much for stealth or big brain maneuvers.

You'll have several options there. Big dude in power armour, genetic mutation, super mutant, robot or an intelligent deathclaw for size and communicative purposes.

Rafael

Quote from: MetroFallout on April 12, 2021, 01:57:34 AM
You'll have several options there. Big dude in power armour, genetic mutation, super mutant, robot or an intelligent deathclaw for size and communicative purposes.
In classic fallout RPG, yes. But in 2d20 those are a bit reduced.
No deathclaws. Powerarmors aren't available for low levels.

But yes, Robot is an option, and so is a supermutant and/or just a big ass dude.

MetroFallout

Quote from: Rafael on April 12, 2021, 02:52:37 AM
In classic fallout RPG, yes. But in 2d20 those are a bit reduced.
No deathclaws. Powerarmors aren't available for low levels.

But yes, Robot is an option, and so is a supermutant and/or just a big ass dude.

Odd that they'd skip through playable intelligent deathclaws from Vault 13 but it shouldn't be hard to homebrew one.