Call your representitives about Net Neutrality!

Started by Blank, October 20, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHangedOne

Well, supposedly today is the day that Net Neutrality dies. Though, it's liable to be a slow death, if it doesn't get resuscitated.  hard to see where the chips are going to fall, but I know at least one of my state Senators is a real firebrand and will probably SPARTA! kick someone off a building in his rampage. At 71, I would not fight with Markey. That old dog has sharp teeth, and he's meaning to use 'em.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/telecommunications-and-information-technology/net-neutrality-legislation-in-states.aspx

That might be of interest to anybody that wants to check out what individual states are doing, in terms of trying to enact their own laws/legislation, whether on the level of their own state, or making federal appeals; you know, all that fun jazz.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Lustful Bride

Is there any more news on this? I heard California passed a law fighting the removal of Net Neutrality but im not sure about anything else.

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 13, 2018, 01:03:32 PM
Is there any more news on this? I heard California passed a law fighting the removal of Net Neutrality but im not sure about anything else.
Most of what I'm seeing is from the 9th, 10th, and 11th; or just rehashing and reposting.  Tracking legislation through things like the link I posted previously is what I intend to do, but legislative battles usually take weeks, if not months.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Vekseid

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 13, 2018, 01:03:32 PM

A lot of states have laws either passed or waiting requiring NN provisions for any ISP that does business with the state. So far only Washington's is both 1) passed and 2) in full effect.

In addition to this, the actual repeal is going to face legal challenges, as changing this rule requires legal justification and it will need to pass that measure in the court system.

If Democrats manage to take back the Senate (unlikely, but possible) some other options open up, as they'll almost certainly have control of the House in that situation and some Republican senators will defect to override vetos and provide cloture.