Moving Data from 360 to 360?

Started by Inkidu, September 16, 2010, 05:50:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Eventually I want to get my own and stop playing my brother's but I need to know a few things first.

I know I can copy data but is it possible to move it over to another hard drive?

Does Xbox have some kind of external data storage device (memory card) that allows this to happen?

It has USB slots. Would a normal flash drive work?

EDIT: Also, would I be able to import my profile onto it? I would really hate to lose all my achievements. (It's a personal sense of accomplishment though it's pointless I suppose.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Autumn Sativus

There are memory cards that you can buy to accomplish that. I'm not sure about the usb ports, if you could use a usb key or not.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Haibane

Have you got a separate hard drive on the XBox? We bought a second hand XBox cheap off a friend that was one of the early models with a plug-in separate HD. After about a year we had the old RROD and got a new box. Fortunately all the saved games and profiles were on the HD from the old unit all safe and sound.

If you don't have a separate drive I should think a USB stick should work as Saffron says, and when you come to save a game it should offer you the stick as an extra storage device. I think all your user profile data is saved with a saved game so you probably only need to save one game on it. But test it on another machine if you  can before deleting anything.

Ryven

I've never had to transfer data, so I'm not sure which methods do or do not work.  I did find this though.  I will say it seems like just another way for Microsoft to get money out of you when a flash drive would make sense.  Hopefully you wont have to buy the transfer kit.

http://support.xbox.com/support/en/us/nxe/kb.aspx?id=976183&lcid=1033&category=hardware

Kye

A memory card will work fine if you are only transferring saved games, as long as you don't have too much and are patient.  If you have gigs and gigs of stuff it would take forever, and that's when the transfer cable is used, the transfer cable disk will also wipe the old hard drive and set it back to factory specs. 

Aiden

Quote from: Inkidu on September 16, 2010, 05:50:17 PM

EDIT: Also, would I be able to import my profile onto it? I would really hate to lose all my achievements. (It's a personal sense of accomplishment though it's pointless I suppose.)

Are you hooked up to live? Even if it is silver, you can re-download your profile from live as it is all hooked up. Your achievements will be saved. Saved date (unless transferred) via a memory pack (which hooks up to the front of system) will be lost.

Stuff like downloads will be lost...UNLESS your brother is willing to give you the hard drive to the system if you buy him a new one.

Inkidu

No I don't have Live and it pisses me off. This whole online fetish. I'm not worried I don't have much downloadable content and what I do have I retained the disks for as I have to wait for them to release bundle packages.

I don't think I have gigs and gigs of stuff but I would like a way to know how to move my profile over without Live.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Aiden

The memory card will do that for you

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Inkidu on September 17, 2010, 03:54:00 PM
No I don't have Live and it pisses me off. This whole online fetish. I'm not worried I don't have much downloadable content and what I do have I retained the disks for as I have to wait for them to release bundle packages.

I don't think I have gigs and gigs of stuff but I would like a way to know how to move my profile over without Live.

Get a flash drive of over a particular size (I think it's over a gig and you'#re good).
You plug that into the USB port of your choice,
you format it (yes, I know.)
then you go to your system settings -> memory settings -> Hard Drive -> gamer profiles
once there you select the profile you want and then select "move". 
You get asked a y/n question to which you answer Y
You select the flash drive as the destination for the move and booyah, job done.

Forgive me if anything doesn't make quite as much sense as it should, but I'm sicker than a dying dog right now. I know I missed out a step oor two on how to format the usb stick but honestly it's very self explanatory, however if needs must I will detail it later.
You're bound to have a compatable usb stick floating around, which is handy because as far as I know memory units for the 360 are kind of scarce now. Anyway, yeah, TL;DR - It's an easy process but if you've got any other questions I'll take a shot at answering them as best I can.

Inkidu

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on September 18, 2010, 02:40:17 AM
Get a flash drive of over a particular size (I think it's over a gig and you'#re good).
You plug that into the USB port of your choice,
you format it (yes, I know.)
then you go to your system settings -> memory settings -> Hard Drive -> gamer profiles
once there you select the profile you want and then select "move". 
You get asked a y/n question to which you answer Y
You select the flash drive as the destination for the move and booyah, job done.

Forgive me if anything doesn't make quite as much sense as it should, but I'm sicker than a dying dog right now. I know I missed out a step oor two on how to format the usb stick but honestly it's very self explanatory, however if needs must I will detail it later.
You're bound to have a compatable usb stick floating around, which is handy because as far as I know memory units for the 360 are kind of scarce now. Anyway, yeah, TL;DR - It's an easy process but if you've got any other questions I'll take a shot at answering them as best I can.
Any flash drive or does it have to be an Xbox product flash drive?

Heaven Sent Blossom

Well I used one that was given to me at an USDAW (trade union) conference so I would assume it's anything over 1gig will do you just gravy.
Hell it will let me use my 500gig external drive if I want to, however it does obviously reformat the drive so you lose everything already on there.

Wolfy

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on September 19, 2010, 01:36:48 AM
ooor..ya know...you could just get the Data Transfer kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Drive-Migration-Transfer-Mommy4life71/dp/B001JMVHVE/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284878147&sr=8-6

Especially if you have an old style Xbox.
Define old style? The one I'm pulling my info from is four years old I think.

Violence

Quote from: Inkidu on September 19, 2010, 07:00:35 PM
Define old style? The one I'm pulling my info from is four years old I think.

The data transfer kit should work no matter what generation of 360 you're using, moving data from one HDD to another is it's job.  But I've heard it can take a while depending on the amount you're moving. 

If you're just transferring your profile and/or a few saves, I would probably just go with the memory card instead.  A memory card is also really helpful if you want to just play your profile at a friends house, instead of having to go through the effort of transferring your profile every time. ^.^;  That's what my friends and I do, but I agree that there are far too few same-couch games any more...
"Inciting Violence" (O/O) | "Random Acts of Violence" (Requests/Ideas) | Language of Violence (A Story I'm Working On)

And it all breaks down at the role reversal . Got the muse in my head she's universal . Spinnin' me round she's coming over me.
Domestic Violence (My OC's) | The Art of Violence (Stuff I Draw'd) | The Absense of Violence (A/A)

Cravings::  ANYTHING with Ballerinas! | Playing a cheating wife/girlfriend scenario. | Something that lets me play Jaime Lannister.

Heaven Sent Blossom

People seem to have forgotten that nasty habit that the data transfer kit has, you know the one were it moves everything to the new drive and then resets the first drive back to factory settings? This would be on account of the fact that it was designed with people upgrading to larger hard drives in mind, not for people who are just trying to cherry pick their data from somebody else's drive.
With regards to the memory unit, they're ugly, over priced, under sized (official memory units cap at 512mb I believe) and probably out of production. It really would be easier to just grab the latest title update for your console and then format a 1gig usb stick to go to town with.

Inkidu

Well I have a two-gig thumb drive I use for everything so it can be reformatted no problem. This is all a while off. I'm not going to get a new 360 until I actually have to but still I like to know in advance.