Interest Check - Star Trek - The Original Series or prior?

Started by Devil's Advocate, February 14, 2013, 09:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Devil's Advocate

Well, I have noticed a distinct lack of Trek games on E and I was wondering if there's just a lack of interest or whether folks would be interested in playing in one.  I haven't run one of these games in many years and I've gotten the recent hankering to do one of these games again.  I have a couple of concepts: One, which would require a rather dedicated non-dropping crew as it would be based off the USS Horizon, which "was lost with all hands," as dictated in the Original Series episode "A Piece of the Action." 

The other concept would be a bit of intrigue/exploration game on a Constitution class starship in the time of Kirk's Enterprise, slightly before, or slightly after.  We would not run into the Enterprise but mention would likely be made and timelines coincide with other events in the Star Trek universe.

I could always go with Next Gen or the alternate universe Star Trek as well but the first two were the ones that really struck me at the moment.

Thoughts?  Interest?  Anyone?  Beuller?
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Muse

Ooh, intresting. 

What pace do you want for this game?  I'd hate to join and then slow you down. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Devil's Advocate

I guess it would depend on the game that I ended up running and the dynamics of the players, etc.  I usually like a game to move at a moderate speed, a couple meaningful posts a week but I'm not high pressure.  I only start wondering when people disappear without notice on me for more than a week at a time.  Real life has to come first and things happen but a nice check in on an OOC list saying, "Hey, I'm not dead" or via PM is nice.  :)  I think it is all about respecting everyone.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

As long as enough races are included to be interesting likely Enterprise TV series and the orginal series should offer enough options.

Devil's Advocate

OH NO!  No Enterprise!  We (this is the royal "we" of me, myself and I) do not do that.  I don't consider it canon.  Sorry too many inconsistencies for my taste.    Serious pet peeve.  I only believe in TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9.  (DS9, a great concept that really wasn't good TV.)

Now if you were referring to Enterprise as the Original Star Trek, that's just fine.  And yes, there are plenty of race options available there.  For the Horizon concept, races would be much more limited as the Federation was much smaller at that time and much more limited.
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

*Chuckles* 

A lot of my ideas involve Andorians. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Devil's Advocate

Muse, you are a person after my own heart!  I love Andorians.  Before ENT, there was no real canon on Andorians, so I took what was out there from Fandom and created Andorians in a certain way that does not match ENT's version.  However, I'd work with whatever on them.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

Hm... 

I confess I draw a lot from GURPS Prime Directive and the Star Trek CODA game. 

Devil's Advocate

That's fine.  I don't run by system.  I'm a freeform guy.  It gives more freedom to everyone, I find.
O/o's

A/a's

Hephaestus

I would be very interested but I admit that I am not much of a freeform player. Having a system keeps everyone from being highly decorated officers who are prime athletes with high security clearance and doctorates in Applied warp theory. One of my favorite ideas that never went anywhere was a sanitation engineer.
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
~Peter Drucker~

RubySlippers

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 14, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
OH NO!  No Enterprise!  We (this is the royal "we" of me, myself and I) do not do that.  I don't consider it canon.  Sorry too many inconsistencies for my taste.    Serious pet peeve.  I only believe in TOS, TNG, Voyager and DS9.  (DS9, a great concept that really wasn't good TV.)

Now if you were referring to Enterprise as the Original Star Trek, that's just fine.  And yes, there are plenty of race options available there.  For the Horizon concept, races would be much more limited as the Federation was much smaller at that time and much more limited.

DS9 was awesome where else could evil Kira want to get it on with good Kira!  ;D

Devil's Advocate

Well, hopefully we'll drum up some more interest and we can decide genre, ship positions, etc.
O/o's

A/a's

Hephaestus

Well we have RubySlippers, Muse, Myself and your NPC's so far as cast. How many player characters were you hoping we would have?
Plans are only good intentions unless they immediately degenerate into hard work.
~Peter Drucker~

RubySlippers

I would like to play a race likely a member of the Federation at the time I hope a female Denobulan they are nice and not overly odd.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Hephaestus on February 14, 2013, 10:48:19 PM
I would be very interested but I admit that I am not much of a freeform player. Having a system keeps everyone from being highly decorated officers who are prime athletes with high security clearance and doctorates in Applied warp theory. One of my favorite ideas that never went anywhere was a sanitation engineer.

LOL.  Well, there's a certain amount of trust that has to go into freeform.  I am not really clear on how people interpret my version of what I call freeform but I very much give yeas and nyehs on charcter concepts if they don't fit what I perceive to be the best interests of the game.  I don't allow super characters.  I strongly encourage role play and prefer characters who have flaws.  What's the point in playing a character that can do everything?  In my opinion, it is quite dull.  Why not write your own Superman story at that point.  BTW, Superman is dull to me.  So, anyways, that's my small rant on the subject.  In short, I'm interested in decent writing and role play.  I want a story.  I want people to feel real and vested.

Quote from: Hephaestus on February 14, 2013, 11:10:30 PM
Well we have RubySlippers, Muse, Myself and your NPC's so far as cast. How many player characters were you hoping we would have?

I have to apologize, Hephaestus, I didn't see you sneak in on the conversations.  Three is a good start.  Let's see if we can get a fourth interested and start talking about what  genre/concept attracts all of you most.
O/o's

A/a's

Hephaestus

I have been inactive for sometime. I have recently freed up some time to devote to E. Muse is also encouraging. Traditional sword and sorcery has been a theme for sometime in my live system games and its been a bit burning. This kind of thing is right up my alley. Netflix has been instrumental in allowing me to watch things that were in reruns when I was growing up which is almost everything since I am 25. Ive seen all the movies and read some of the Original Series novels.

In short count me in as this is further developed. I have you bookmarked and will be around as often as possible. Muse is great at finding players we should hit him up.
~Peter Drucker~

Branwen

Devil's Advocate, I'd like to be considered for a spot on the crew.  My preference would be for the original, old series.

BetaBonk

I'd be very interested -- I tend to agree with DA's boundaries on canon; other than that, I'm flexible on the exact setting.

Your notion for the Horizon sounds intriguing, but I have to say that the second idea seems more flexible (and more tolerant of, um, crew replacements :-) ).

Hephaestus

Well as far as crew replacements on the horizon its easy to describe a new crewman. I mean there are hundreds of peoples on these ships so Its not a big deal to have one get demoted, promoted, or otherwise come to prominence or fade from view.
~Peter Drucker~

orderNchaos

OK, I've tried a few Trek games on E and so far most of them have failed miserably.....BUT....I am always up for new Trek RP's.  Count me in.  Do we want to base this off of Shatner OS timeline or should be see if we can totally muck up the new timeline that J.J. Abrams is creating?? 

Muse

I fully concur about star fleet being an excelent vessel for character turn over. 

So.  I'm sure i'm stealing his first name from some cannon character so tell me if it's a bad idea:

Shrass Athrun:  Hotshot pilot, andorian duelist.  Joined starfleet after the (two) lovers of his life spurned him over crazy ideas of wanting a single husband.  :)

AndyZ

Curious...

(DS9, a great concept that really wasn't good TV.)

What made DS9 a great concept but not good TV?  Would that make for a good game?

I've been watcting TOS lately and am up to season 3 or 4.  I've personally had a Star Trek Hologram idea that I've played with for like forever, but can consider most whatever.  Never watched much of DS9, though, so I know it's a space station but little else.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

RubySlippers

I consider DS9 save for the original series the best of the Star Trek spin offs.

Ascia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 14, 2013, 11:18:21 PM
I would like to play a race likely a member of the Federation at the time I hope a female Denobulan they are nice and not overly odd.

*grumbles* An ENT creation.  At least it is not an offensive one.  :)

Quote from: BetaBonk on February 15, 2013, 12:13:20 PM
I'd be very interested -- I tend to agree with DA's boundaries on canon; other than that, I'm flexible on the exact setting.

Your notion for the Horizon sounds intriguing, but I have to say that the second idea seems more flexible (and more tolerant of, um, crew replacements :-) ).

Well, I think my thought is, let's see how this thing goes/works out and then those who prove to be dedicated, if they're interested in the Horizon plot line, I'd love to run it.  I tried once before but it was my shortest lasting game (7 months).

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 03:32:18 PM
I'm in...if there's still room. =)

We haven't started, so there's plenty of room.  :)

The overwhelming favorite seems to be the TOS (The Original Series for those not geeky enough to know the abbreviation).  I am inclined to stay away from the Abrams world, though it is intriguing to much with.  I'm thinking that we go, say a few years after went TOS movies ended and when Excelsior class starships were causing the Constitutions to be retired.

Everyone interested, say "AYE" and I'll create an OOC place and then an information area, and character sheet info, etc.
O/o's

A/a's

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 05:24:33 AM
Devil's Advocate, I'd like to be considered for a spot on the crew.  My preference would be for the original, old series.

Spot is reserved and warmed up for you.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 15, 2013, 06:57:57 PM

The overwhelming favorite seems to be the TOS (The Original Series for those not geeky enough to know the abbreviation).  I am inclined to stay away from the Abrams world, though it is intriguing to much with.  I'm thinking that we go, say a few years after went TOS movies ended and when Excelsior class starships were causing the Constitutions to be retired.

Everyone interested, say "AYE" and I'll create an OOC place and then an information area, and character sheet info, etc.

Aye?

The setting doesn't as much matter to me. I'm well versed in Trek; LUG, FASA, Decipher. I've personally thumbed through the Trek Encyclopedia at least thrice. Ran more than a few Trek games in future timelines, past timelines, mirror timelines, you name it. Point? I'll be able to write in any Trek setting you guys give me.

And really, does Abramsverse or not Abramsverse matter? I don't imagine we'll be sticking hardcore to canon, making either an AU for our working however we see fit to work it for our game. =) So the only difference is...one has Vulcan, one doesn't have Vulcan. lol

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 07:17:25 PM
Aye?

The setting doesn't as much matter to me. I'm well versed in Trek; LUG, FASA, Decipher. I've personally thumbed through the Trek Encyclopedia at least thrice. Ran more than a few Trek games in future timelines, past timelines, mirror timelines, you name it. Point? I'll be able to write in any Trek setting you guys give me.

And really, does Abramsverse or not Abramsverse matter? I don't imagine we'll be sticking hardcore to canon, making either an AU for our working however we see fit to work it for our game. =) So the only difference is...one has Vulcan, one doesn't have Vulcan. lol

Impressive, you may be Trekkier than I.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

RubySlippers

Okay I want to play a Q Borg Changeling how about it?

j/k

;D

Ascia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 07:29:53 PM
Okay I want to play a Q Borg Changeling how about it?

j/k

;D

Seriously, you two?  That's super hot funny.  I hope all the chemistry carries over.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Okay I'm all for the original setting at long as the adventures are the same come one the defeated Apollo, fought Mobsters and beat up on Nazis how can you go wrong AND the uniforms are the cute 60's dress things for the ladies.  ;D

Branwen

Speaking of which, are the roles going to be gender limited like the original series, or are they going to be more open?  I'm fine either way, I was just curious.

And who's captaining this thing?  You, DA, or an NPC or a PC?

AndyZ

I'm going to step aside.  I'm not fully caught up on TOS yet and it looks like this is invariably going to contain spoilers.  Nothing's been messed up for me yet but I'd rather not risk it.  Have fun everyone.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 07:35:14 PM
Okay I'm all for the original setting at long as the adventures are the same come one the defeated Apollo, fought Mobsters and beat up on Nazis how can you go wrong AND the uniforms are the cute 60's dress things for the ladies.  ;D

That's true. The short skirts are a plus.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 07:35:14 PM

Well, if we go with the 60s outfits, that would be prior to the movie settings but I'm more than OK with that.  In the later TOS movies, they had the red uniforms with the white trim and bars, if I recall.

But yes, you're in the right era, Ruby.  Love the TOS memories.  The Horizon game would be the one where the book was left behind for your mobsters in "A Piece of the Action."  But we'll save that game as stated before.

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 07:40:44 PM
Speaking of which, are the roles going to be gender limited like the original series, or are they going to be more open?  I'm fine either way, I was just curious.

And who's captaining this thing?  You, DA, or an NPC or a PC?

No gender limitations.  Roddenberry didn't intend there to be any and I'm not going to have any.  It just was a tough sell for the networks.  Remember, in the Cage, the original number one was female.

As to Captaining, it would be me or an NPC by me.  Either way, it is me.  :)  I have found that's the easiest way to throw overall plot at folks.

Quote from: AndyZ on February 15, 2013, 07:45:35 PM
I'm going to step aside.  I'm not fully caught up on TOS yet and it looks like this is invariably going to contain spoilers.  Nothing's been messed up for me yet but I'd rather not risk it.  Have fun everyone.

Spoilers?  Not sure what you mean but feel free to keep it open.  Always room for new crew members if and when you feel ready. 

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 07:47:31 PM
That's true. The short skirts are a plus.

Hm.  Looking like the TOS era during the TV show is winning. 
O/o's

A/a's

Cyrano Johnson

OH NO!  No Enterprise!  We (this is the royal "we" of me, myself and I) do not do that.  I don't consider it canon.

You're a man after my own heart.  O8)

I could definitely get into a TOS-era adventure built around your second concept. (Why not on the USS Constitution? I've always wondered what the leading ship of the class got up to, and IIRC she never gets a mention in TOS canon.)
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

RubySlippers

Anyway if you include the core races and the many Federation near human races ones close to humans like natives of Risa it should give options for role-playing. And some room to be creative if one doesn't want to be a core big race directly.

Branwen

Just out of curiosity, what role or position does everyone want to play?  Because it might help some people trying to decide if they know other people had definite preferences.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on February 15, 2013, 08:09:34 PM
You're a man after my own heart.  O8)

I could definitely get into a TOS-era adventure built around your second concept. (Why not on the USS Constitution? I've always wondered what the leading ship of the class got up to, and IIRC she never gets a mention in TOS canon.)

Cyrano - Good to meet/have another ENT hater on board.

It could be the flagship but my tendency right now is to lean towards a made up Constitution.  I do have Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise and do use that for the ship specifications, in case anyone cares/needs the info.

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 08:28:24 PM
Just out of curiosity, what role or position does everyone want to play?  Because it might help some people trying to decide if they know other people had definite preferences.

It likely would.  As we have things defined currently, we're going on a Constitution class star ship set in the same time frame that Kirk's enterprise was floating about on the TV series (so we have Red-shirts and mini-skirts in uniforms).

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 08:16:32 PM
Anyway if you include the core races and the many Federation near human races ones close to humans like natives of Risa it should give options for role-playing. And some room to be creative if one doesn't want to be a core big race directly.

I will.  I used to have a website on this from my old game.  I'm currently looking it up and will have to modify it a bit, obviously.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 15, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
Well, if we go with the 60s outfits, that would be prior to the movie settings but I'm more than OK with that.  In the later TOS movies, they had the red uniforms with the white trim and bars, if I recall.

Our game, why should uniform dictate timeline? Wouldn't be killing canon for there to be some female officers with skirts, some with pants. Female members of the US Navy, for example, can wear a skirt one day and camis the next if it doesn't conflict with local command policy.  There's even canon precedent for this when movie and show uniforms began to get intermingled in use before the last revision that stuck with DS9 and Nemesis. So if we wanted to go for as much IC freedom as we could, that's an option. One that's really not a huge stretch.

QuoteRemember, in the Cage, the original number one was female.

I so almost posted this fact earlier! lol That's awesome.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 08:28:24 PM

Chief of the Boat like a Master Chief Petty Officer.

http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Chief_of_the_boat

I would basically be the seasoned and generally trained badass who tends to the enlisted people on the ship and can be counted on to have that odd skill set being a jack of all trades due to being around in the service and working at all kinds of skills. As she would put it one never knows when knowing how to fix a communicator might come in handy or having that working skill piloting and basic ship systems repair. A natural landing party choice.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 08:44:20 PM
Our game, why should uniform dictate timeline? Wouldn't be killing canon for there to be some female officers with skirts, some with pants. Female members of the US Navy, for example, can wear a skirt one day and camis the next if it doesn't conflict with local command policy.  There's even canon precedent for this when movie and show uniforms began to get intermingled in use before the last revision that stuck with DS9 and Nemesis. So if we wanted to go for as much IC freedom as we could, that's an option. One that's really not a huge stretch.

You have a very valid point, Ascia....  I think, if memory serves me right, I may have done this the last time I wrote a TOS game.  I will give this a little more thought.

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 08:50:05 PM
Chief of the Boat like a Master Chief Petty Officer.

http://memory-gamma.wikia.com/wiki/Chief_of_the_boat

I would basically be the seasoned and generally trained badass who tends to the enlisted people on the ship and can be counted on to have that odd skill set being a jack of all trades due to being around in the service and working at all kinds of skills. As she would put it one never knows when knowing how to fix a communicator might come in handy or having that working skill piloting and basic ship systems repair. A natural landing party choice.

Our first red shirt? :)
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Well they seem to focus on command, operations or medical for nco paths so likely would be command but with lots of skills she is not likely to be security which in TOS is pretty limited to classic security. Helm and Navigation operated the shields and weapons for example.

I picture the classic she was selected for the ship to oversee and tend to the enlisted people as a liason and to crack heads before an officer is noticing anything, the go to person for help when your enlisted and yes like Chief O'Brian has ample skills in her case more command and leadership with experience and stints in various training schools. I'm looking at a human likely around her late 30's who enlisted at eighteen and had a good career. Likely in her last decade before retirement with her 30 years in so could be on her last long tour.

Branwen

That sounds very clever and useful, RubySlippers.  She could also be someone very junior offices take leadership cues from.

Cyrano Johnson

My character concept would be a male Deltan CMO. In my mind's eye I'm casting Yul Brynner in the role.

Branwen

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on February 15, 2013, 09:03:45 PM
My character concept would be a male Deltan CMO. In my mind's eye I'm casting Yul Brynner in the role.

Sex to the E!  Wow.  He's seriously hot.

RubySlippers

Remember your vow of celibacy then Deltan no hanky-panky for you.

But the COB could be assigned to any role the Captain trumps chain-of-command but I would have wrath of god powers any enlisted person doing something to disrespect the uniform comes before her not the officers in most cases, you might wish it was the First Officer your dealing with before she is done. I could technically even reduce a grade in rank or cut pay or do other things to punish someone but would also be the good person to go to.

Odds are if a crewman has a problem its her problem.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 09:07:28 PM
Sex to the E!  Wow.  He's seriously hot.

Had him some serious charisma, too. It's a shame the real Trek franchise never got hold of him, he would have delivered some awesome Trek alien mojo.

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 08:56:56 PM
Well they seem to focus on command, operations or medical for nco paths so likely would be command but with lots of skills she is not likely to be security which in TOS is pretty limited to classic security. Helm and Navigation operated the shields and weapons for example.

I picture the classic she was selected for the ship to oversee and tend to the enlisted people as a liason and to crack heads before an officer is noticing anything, the go to person for help when your enlisted and yes like Chief O'Brian has ample skills in her case more command and leadership with experience and stints in various training schools. I'm looking at a human likely around her late 30's who enlisted at eighteen and had a good career. Likely in her last decade before retirement with her 30 years in so could be on her last long tour.

Master Chiefs don't retire until they're in their 50s or 60s. And you can become a Chief in as little as six years, especially with the right job. That's for the US Navy, at least. Chief of the Boat's job description actually fits a CMC, Command Master Chief. They're generally seen as the third member of the command team (CO, XO, and CMC). And let's just say no one but the CO or XO is likely to try to order them to do anything.

I think the Trek Chiefs are more merit based than the political and selection process of the real world Chiefs. You really have to be a specialist at whatever job you had before going on to become Chief of the Boat in Trek. Look at Miles. He was an Engineer by trade, but what didn't you see him do on the Enterprise or DS9 or Defiant? Good Lord. lol

I mean, do it however you want, I'm just trying to help by giving as much real world knowledge as I have. (I'm an E6 in the USN.) You'll see me throw in actual naval stuff in my Trek posts, so having a Chief around would be great for me. ^_^

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 09:07:41 PM

That's the beauty of it. Lots of opportunities for him to have his resolve challenged, and ultimately win out... but just barely.

Quoteany enlisted person doing something to disrespect the uniform comes before her not the officers in most cases,

Technically I think TOS Starfleet doesn't have a difference between enlisted and commissioned crew. At least not according to what I can remember of the TOS writers' bible.

(I'm not quite as massive a TOS geek as that last sentence makes it sound...)

Branwen

We're going to strike a balance between having fun and being canon, right?

Ascia

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on February 15, 2013, 09:15:15 PM

(I'm not quite as massive a TOS geek as that last sentence makes it sound...)

Oh, but I am. ^_^ I believe, since Roddenberry consulted with NASA and Naval personnel (often times the same thing) he always planned to have the Enlisted in there. Afterall, why have officers if you have no enlisted? Lots of not so great jobs (including things as simple as a fire watch) to do on a starship, and I can't see an officer, even a JO, doing it.

And we know absolutely there were enlisted in later Treks. Torres from Voyager was another, I think, at first. I don't think the Maquis aside from Kotay were given commissions until later, but I'm not certain on that.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 09:12:29 PM(I'm an E6 in the USN.) You'll see me throw in actual naval stuff in my Trek posts, so having a Chief around would be great for me. ^_^

Sweet!

Ascia

Ascia

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 09:24:39 PM

I would hope so.

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 09:25:44 PM
Oh, but I am. ^_^

;D

QuoteI believe, since Roddenberry consulted with NASA and Naval personnel (often times the same thing) he always planned to have the Enlisted in there. Afterall, why have officers if you have no enlisted?

Oh, totally fair point. I think the no-enlisted thing, or the decision to not mention any such divisions, was that the writing staff wanted Starfleet to seem naval-esque, but not too regimented. That's how I remember them putting it, I think.

Ascia

I'll probably go for a JO, maybe in Engineering or Ops.

RubySlippers

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 09:12:29 PM
Master Chiefs don't retire until they're in their 50s or 60s. And you can become a Chief in as little as six years, especially with the right job. That's for the US Navy, at least. Chief of the Boat's job description actually fits a CMC, Command Master Chief. They're generally seen as the third member of the command team (CO, XO, and CMC). And let's just say no one but the CO or XO is likely to try to order them to do anything.

I think the Trek Chiefs are more merit based than the political and selection process of the real world Chiefs. You really have to be a specialist at whatever job you had before going on to become Chief of the Boat in Trek. Look at Miles. He was an Engineer by trade, but what didn't you see him do on the Enterprise or DS9 or Defiant? Good Lord. lol

I mean, do it however you want, I'm just trying to help by giving as much real world knowledge as I have. (I'm an E6 in the USN.) You'll see me throw in actual naval stuff in my Trek posts, so having a Chief around would be great for me. ^_^

This is Star Trek here I'm assuming Boot Camp, MOS School, an Advanced MOS School, Petty Officers School and Chiefs School plus time in. Twenty years seems fair to me for the role. Not to mention she likely has taken training in many areas outside of those on her own or in base time or approved by Star Fleet under other officers. These certifications likely are more informal such as certified field science training in her record so she has a basic knowledge of science and can collect samples and help run experiments under the direction of the science sections of the ship.

So her age if human will likely be 40, she will need to be 48 years to retire using the military 30 year standard for a full pension from Star Fleet. She might consider moving over if offered an instructors spot in Starfleet Academcy or in a Boot Camp however.

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 09:33:39 PM
This is Star Trek here I'm assuming Boot Camp, MOS School, an Advanced MOS School, Petty Officers School and Chiefs School plus time in. Twenty years seems fair to me for the role. Not to mention she likely has taken training in many areas outside of those on her own or in base time or approved by Star Fleet under other officers. These certifications likely are more informal such as certified field science training in her record so she has a basic knowledge of science and can collect samples and help run experiments under the direction of the science sections of the ship.

So her age if human will likely be 40, she will need to be 48 years to retire using the military 30 year standard for a full pension from Star Fleet. She might consider moving over if offered an instructors spot in Starfleet Academcy or in a Boot Camp however.

You can probably be pretty liberal with the character age. Anything from early thirtys to late 40s sounds perfectly reasonable.

I may have my JO girl crush on the cool NCO, though. <3

Devil's Advocate

Wow!  Look at all the excitement and discussion!

Quote from: Branwen on February 15, 2013, 09:24:39 PM

DAMN STRAIGHT!  In fact, I use canon as the backdrop for where we are, when we are but not for much else.  I just won't contradict anything outright.  However, my plots rarely have anything to do with something that would do that.  Already, I have the plots a brewin'.

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 09:07:41 PM

Yep.  I would suspect a Deltan would have no end of troubles with fending humanoids off, too. :)

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 09:12:29 PM

Well, having you around, Ascia is great for me.  I love Trek but I'm somewhat military ignorant.  So, I expect my tutorial in PM.  :)  Just stay safe in real life, please!

Alrighty....  I was looking for information on my old TOS 6 year running game in my archives and I found much more than I hoped for.  I even have all available races, etc. from the year 2294/2295.  So, since everyone's excited and ready to go, I'm going to basically say we're starting in late 2294 (which is after the TOS movies and Kirk's disappearance in the Rift, etc).  I just need to think of a name for our ship, set up an OCC, put out an information list, and set up a character sheet.  The hardest part here will actually be thinking of a name.  Not my strong suit.  I will be stealing my female Captain from the other ship, Captain Kelly Jean O'Connor but will modify her history.  She's Irish, redheaded and not someone to be trifled with drinking or in a fight.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Are Trills our I love the spots? Not a joined one just a rank and file Trill.

I checked a bit they seem to have had contact in the middle 23rd century around the time of TOS with the humans and vulcans she could have been one of the first Trill to enlist after they joined up. Just asking but it would be fun and a basic Trill is not that hard to play. I might give her abnormality that makes carrying a symbiote impossible giving her social issues on Trill which is why she enlisted to get away from home asap.

Ascia

Cyrano Johnson

Glad to see we're getting off to such a quick start. (EDIT: Hmmm, maybe I'd better change my choice of race... we should probably have a human or two in the mix...)

If you're looking for ships' names, Starfleet ships seem mostly to carry American naval vessel names. Some of my personal faves have always been USS Freedom, USS Tempest, USS Olympia, and USS Sirocco. (And USS Firebolt, I think because it reminds me of that old marionette show, but I'm not married to that one...)

Ascia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 10:05:47 PM
Are Trills our I love the spots? Not a joined one just a rank and file Trill.

I checked a bit they seem to have had contact in the middle 23rd century around the time of TOS with the humans and vulcans she could have been one of the first Trill to enlist after they joined up. Just asking but it would be fun and a basic Trill is not that hard to play. I might give her abnormality that makes carrying a symbiote impossible giving her social issues on Trill which is why she enlisted to get away from home asap.

Trill did not make the cut.  Sorry.  :(

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 10:08:55 PM
lol I'm a college student these days. I'm safe. ;)

Good to hear!  Stay that way!

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on February 15, 2013, 10:11:33 PM
Glad to see we're getting off to such a quick start.

If you're looking for ships' names, Starfleet ships seem mostly to carry American naval vessel names. Some of my personal faves have always been USS Freedom, USS Tempest, USS Olympia, and USS Sirocco.

Funny you mention that.  My old game was USS America.  However, I think I have decided on NCC-1718, USS Phoenix. 

Any objections or alternate suggestions?  I'll put up the OOC and info list tomorrow.
O/o's

A/a's

Devil's Advocate

Known Acceptable races in 2294 with episodic canon:

Andorians      Home Planet: Andoria.
These blue-skinned humanoids have bilateral antennae and white hair. They are rare to be found on a Federation starship although there are a few.

"Journey to Babel"

Arcadians      Home Planet: Vellun Gamma V (Arcadia).
They had a pale white skin pointed ears, startling blue eyes and bald heads, except for two crests of dark hair. They wear elaborate golden jewelery and gowns woven with gold thread, with a tall gold collar. These may have been representative of the rank of Federation Council members.

"The Voyage Home"

Arcturians      Home Planet: Arcturus.
They have brown, hairless, loose skin that hangs in heavy folds on their heads. They are clones who form the backbone of the Federation infantry. In wartime, milllions can be rapidly created to serve as cannon fodder.

"The Motion Picture"

Ardanians      Home Planet: Ardana.
There are two different cultures of Ardanians: the Troglodytes and Stratosians. The Troglodytes are miners that live in caverns beside the mines of zeenite. Stratosians live in the suspended city of Stratos and are very advanced from the artistic and cultural point of view.

These social discriminations have been eliminated by resolution of the Federal Counsel. Recent comparative studies on the DNA of the inhabitants of Stratos and they of the Troglodytes have revealed substantial differences in the structure of the aminoacids, and we suppose that the inhabitants of Stratos are not aboriginal of Ardana. In support of this thesis there is also the fact that nobody is able to explain the beginnings that regulate the complex system of gravitational manipulation that supports Stratos fairly clearly.

"The Cloudminders"

Argelians      Home Planet: Argelius II.
These humanoids like to party in very hedonistic fashion. Their home world is a favorite stop for shore leave for StarFleet.

"Wolf in the Fold"

Ariolo      Home Planet: Bartz' Star I (Fillandia).
They have deeply wrinkled faces and prominent foreheads but no discernible nose. The officials seen serving on the Federation Council wore long sombre robes and black hoods.

"The Voyage Home"

Aurelians      Home Planet: Aurelia.
These Federation members are an avian species.

"Yesteryear"

Axanarians      Home Planet: Axanari.
First contacted in 2151 by Enterprise NX-01, Axanar was the site of a famous Federation triumph during a 23rd century battle, in which Starfleet Captain Garth prevailed. James Kirk held Garth in high esteem crediting the victory with helping to hold together the Federation. Ensign Kirk also visited this world a few years later, distinguishing himself in maintaining the peace of this world, and recieved the Palm Leaf of Axanar award.

"Fight or Flight"
"Whom Gods Destroy"

Betelgeusians      Home Planet: Betelgeuse.
An avian race of seven foot tall humanoids, they evolved from predatory birds. They retain the talons and skeletal structure of a raptor and have a vestigal beak. Their skin is blue-grey with little evidence of feathers.

"The Motion Picture"

Bzzit Khaht      Home Planet: Nakagima 62B IV (Althos)
This reptilian species has pale green skin, large yellow eyes, pointed ears and long snouts. Members of the race are on the Federation Council.

"The Voyage Home"

Caitians      Home Planet: Cait.
They have retained their bodily fur, large ears and claws, but who must have put aside their animal urges to become Federation members, with representatives evident in Starfleet Admiralty and on the Federation Council. They shared a common ancestry with the Kzinti.

"The Voyage Home", "The Final Frontier"

Coridans      Home Planet: Coridan.
It was this planet that was fought over in the Babel Conference.

"Journey to Babel"

Cygnetti      Home Planet: Cygnus (?)
Matriarchal society which operates a StarFleet ship repair and maintenance facility.

"Tommorrow is Yesterday"

Daranese      Home Planet: Daran V
A Class-M Federation planet with a population of 3,724,000. In 2268 the U.S.S. Enterprise was sent to divert what was thought to be an asteroid on a collision course with the planet. The asteroid actually turned out to be the multigenerational spaceship Yonada, built 10,000 years ago by the Fabrini to save their race before their sun went nova.

"For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"

Deltans      Home Planet: Delta IV.
These bald humanoids are highly evolved in the realm of sexuality. All Deltan members of StarFleet are required to take an Oath of Celibacy so that they do not take advantage of less sexually advanced species.

"The Motion Picture"

Denebians      Home Planet: Deneb V
Humanoid civilization who had a run-in with Harry Mudd over a Vulcan fuel synthesizer. Also home to slime devils.

"I, Mudd"
"The Trouble with Tribbles"
"Trials and Tribble-ations"

Efrosians      Home Planet: Flarset IV (Efros)
Efrosians are distinguishable by their white manes and whiskers. They are a prominent race in the Federation serving in Starfleet as well as in the field of politics. The Federation President who was the subject of an assassination attempt in 2293 was an Efrosian male.

"The Voyage Home"
"The Undiscovered Country"

Humans      Home Planet: Earth.
Assuming that there's not extraterrestrial life out there monitoring the internet, I'm sure you know everything you need to know about humans.

ALL

Kasheeta      Home Planet: Isis Kash II (Kashet).
They are red-skinned with deep ridges and protrusions across the face and large mouths. They seem to be descended from dinosaurs, like the Voth. They have seats on the Federation Council. There seems to be little evidence of them in the 24th Century however.

"The Voyage Home"

Kazarites      Home Planet: Kazar
A race of hirsute humanoids whose beast-like appearance concealed their advanced evolutionary development. They can communicate telepathically with animals. They apparently have some telekinetic ability too and can teleport over short distances using willpower alone. A benevolent people they are devoted ecologists who are commited to animal welfare.

"The Motion Picture"

Megarites      Home Planet: Megara
The Megarites were piscine humanoids whose preferred habitat was underwater. Federation scientists developed a series of injections that would enable them to survive out of water for up to a week. Their planet Megara was presumably dominated by seas and was rich in the mineral jade. Megarites wore tight-fitting waterproof suits in order to prevent dehydration.

"The Motion Picture"

Rhaandarites      Home Planet: unknown
A gregarious race of humanoids with enlarged craniums, presumably to contain their highly developed brains. They are long-lived, reaching full maturity at 150 years. The Rhaadarite that was part of the USS Enterprise bridge crew in 2271, however, was only 85, barely more than an adolescent in their society.

"The Motion Picture"

Rigellians      Home Planet(s): Beta Rigel (II, IV, V, VI or X)
By all accounts, the reptilian Rigellians evolved from sabre-toothed turtles. They are a hermaphrodite race and oviparous, laying eggs like their ancestors rather than giving birth to live young. The leaders wear ceremonial armour, although it is alleged that they are but puppet rulers and that the real power lay with an eminence gris, the attendants who feed them.

"The Motion Picture"

Saurians      Home Planet: unknown
An highly intelligent reptilian race, Saurians made exceptional Federation officers. They were extremely strong, belying their slim frames and had four hearts to regulate their circulation. Particularly useful on away teams, they could survive in various atmospheres that would be unsuitable for ordinary humanoids. A Saurian could be seen serving as an engineer on USS Enterprise in 2271. A notable product of their homeworld is the famous Saurian brandy.

"The Motion Picture"

Tellarites      Home Planet: Tellar.
A humanoid species distinguished by a porcine-like snout, stout build, deep set eyes and a characteristically irascible disposition.

"Journey to Babel"
"Bounty"

Vulcans      Home Planet: Vulcan.
A humanoid race, with copper-based blood, slightly green-tinted complexion and notably pointed ears, they are responsible in a large part for the founding of the Federation. Over the centuries, Vulcans have developed a culture dedicated to the complete mastery of logic, learning to suppress their once-violent emotions in nearly every aspect of their existence.

In the mid-22nd century, Vulcans still carry remnants of their more emotional selves. The captain of Enterprise NX-01, Jonathan Archer--who numbers amongst his crew a Vulcan science officer/liason named T'Pol--has frequent dealings with the Vulcan high command. In these dealings, it is evident that some sense of emotion has been retained. At this period in their history, they are secretive and, according to the Andorians, perpetual liars.

In the 23rd century a Vulcan, Commander Spock, served as Captain James T. Kirk's first officer and science officer aboard the U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701 for many years. At least one Vulcan has served as Starfleet Academy superintendent, one who memorized every cadet's personal file, during all or part of Commander Riker's years in 2353-57.

In ancient times, Vulcans were a war-like race, leading to their near extinction. Its ancients believed in gods, such as war, peace and death.

Vulcans are typically stronger than Humans, though they do not boast of this strength. Vulcans were brewing wines circa 2070--before the United Federation of Planets was founded.

Lieutenant Tuvok serving on the U.S.S. Voyager is a full Vulcan, while legendary Ambassador Spock is half Vulcan and half Human. The Romulans are an offshoot of the Vulcan species.

Episode(s): Star Trek
Star Trek: Voyager
Enterprise
"The Motion Picture"
"The Wrath of Khan"
"The Search for Spock"
"The Voyage Home"
"The Final Frontier"
"Unification"

Xelatians      Home Planet: Tau 56 III (Xelata)
Their appearance is unclear, as they are forced to don breathing masks to survive an M-class environment. Members of this species were on the Federation council in 2286.

"The Voyage Home"

Zaranite      Home Planet: Zaran or Byrdica II
Like the Benzites and Barzans, the Zaranites can not breathe an M-class atmosphere and so wear face masks and backpacks to provide the fluorine gas they require. They wear symbolic necklaces carved from Berbbotjahaa horn: the upper section indicates an individual's family while the lower part identifies the person himself, rather like a form of name tag. Their traditional dress is pastel-coloured robes.

They are orange-brown skinned humanoids, some with a distinctive, large, twin-lobed cranium, while others had a smaller, more human head. Whether these represented different social castes or even separate races is unknown.

The Zaranites were certainly Federation members as at least one could be seen in 2271 serving on USS Enterprise. Others were seen at Kirk's court martial in 2286 and representing the Federation at Khitomer in 2292.

"The Motion Picture"
"The Voyage Home"
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Centaurans aren't on that list either.

I hate that list. ^_^

Cyrano Johnson

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 15, 2013, 10:28:25 PM
Centaurans aren't on that list either.

I hate that list. ^_^

I'm just a party pooper.  Ask my wife.  :)

Though, I wonder how Daranese made the list.  *shrug* I remember pulling this list from somewhere on Federation members at this time period.  The Trill HAD visited the Federation in the 23rd century but they were not yet members, I do not believe.  The joined species part was not known until the 24th century.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

I didn't say she was from a member world, you did not have to be in the Federation to serve in Star Fleet if she did so as a citizen of Trill does it matter she is enlisted, not someone who applied to Star Fleet Academy and since she is not joined it wouldn't be a big deal for her people to "lose her".  I would think if she could pass the entrance test and physical and took the oath to servce for her first enlistment it would be enough and there is no reason save GM biase she couldn't peak her career. Likely though she would have applied for citizenship awhile ago to a member planet after she was clearly an asset to the service.

So she could be a Starfleet Member and a citizen of Earth for legal purposes but not a member of a Federation species. As for the joined trill part she is not likely to talk about it odds are any biological issues like the symbiote chamber in her she will state it as a "private matter of her species they don't talk about to outsiders". A doctor would be sworn to respect that if the issue had no bearing on her health and fitness.

Come on we need some flexibility here for the team.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 15, 2013, 10:47:12 PM
I didn't say she was from a member world, you did not have to be in the Federation to serve in Star Fleet if she did so as a citizen of Trill does it matter she is enlisted, not someone who applied to Star Fleet Academy and since she is not joined it wouldn't be a big deal for her people to "lose her".  I would think if she could pass the entrance test and physical and took the oath to servce for her first enlistment it would be enough and there is no reason save GM biase she couldn't peak her career. Likely though she would have applied for citizenship awhile ago to a member planet after she was clearly an asset to the service.

So she could be a Starfleet Member and a citizen of Earth for legal purposes but not a member of a Federation species. As for the joined trill part she is not likely to talk about it odds are any biological issues like the symbiote chamber in her she will state it as a "private matter of her species they don't talk about to outsiders". A doctor would be sworn to respect that if the issue had no bearing on her health and fitness.

Come on we need some flexibility here for the team.

I'm rather flexible.  I'll give it some thought.  I have no biases whatsoever.  I just like making things work/fit. 
O/o's

A/a's

Phaia

I may be interested in this but have a question

when did betazoid join the UFP... I would love playing a Betazoid or even a half betazoid and can find a much sexier version then deianna troy

Phaia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Phaia on February 15, 2013, 11:09:24 PM
I may be interested in this but have a question

when did betazoid join the UFP... I would love playing a Betazoid or even a half betazoid and can find a much sexier version then deianna troy

Phaia

Betazoid joined UFP in 2273 apparently.  See Memory Alpha.  My list may have to be updated....  http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Betazed
O/o's

A/a's

Phaia

so if this is after TOS and from what I see that TV series ended around 2269 could she be one of the first class of Betazoids in star fleet?

Phaia

RubySlippers

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Trill_(planet)
Trill joined in 2295 but was on the Trill trade routes and had contact earlier.

So enlisting as a non-Federation species member is likely acceptable the race would not be considered a threat to the Federation or one to pose a risk. Come on later on Nog was a Ferengi and got in as an officer she is not aiming so high when she was eighteen.  ;D

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Phaia on February 15, 2013, 11:19:36 PM
so if this is after TOS and from what I see that TV series ended around 2269 could she be one of the first class of Betazoids in star fleet?

Phaia

2294 (when we've put the setting) would be after Star Trek The Undiscovered Country and where Kirk gets sucked up by the rift in Generations.

Our starship would be one of the remaining Constitutions refits in service as Starfleet moves to the Excelsior class.
O/o's

A/a's

orderNchaos

So I'm thinking Chief Science Officer or Communications officer.... I always enjoy being a cunning linguist!  ;)

BetaBonk

I could play a human -- looking like maybe the "token" human at this point ;D -- or maybe something very human-ish like Argelian or Betazoid.

As for crew position, I'm hoping for science officer, helmsman, CMO, or engineeer -- in sort of that order of preference, I suppose -- I'm not super-picky about it.

Branwen

Ascia

Phaia

Brianna Oxlia, Daughter of the Third House of Betazed, Guardian of the Six Orbs of Choiza
Lieutenant [Commander?] Star Fleet Medical
Doctor; Expert on Interspecies Mating Rituals; Expert in Psychology
Fully trained in human Jeet Kune Do [certain species such as Klingons and Gorn have very combatic foreplay rituals]
Reporting for duty!!

Brianna Oxlia

RubySlippers

Come on GM allow an unjoined Trill, lay it on me baby!  :D

Ascia

Question, as this is really the first group game on E I'll have played:

Do we establish character relationships before the game starts?

If I run this game on the other RP forum I go to, I probably say, 'Most crews know each other.' So I'd have a section for 'impressions/relationships' in the Character Sheet. There players could get an idea of how each character views each other characters, and give people to chance to have friendships/rivalries/even romances set up before the opening scene, so everyone hits the ground running.

So...is this something ever done? Or is this considered a big E no-no?

Sorry to be the confused n00b. ^_^

Phaia

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

If I run this game on the other RP forum I go to, I probably say, 'Most crews know each other.' So I'd have a section for 'impressions/relationships' in the Character Sheet. There players could get an idea of how each character views each other characters, and give people to chance to have friendships/rivalries/even romances set up before the opening scene, so everyone hits the ground running.

All good ideas there...some of it is up to the gm to decide...I have some peculiarities for Brianna thought up as well as her being telepathic.
Such as Brianna in her quarters tends to be nude...mediating and practicing that way...I could see it being a dare so to speak for younger officers to interrupt her in her quarters...of course that could be bad considering she is medical and a telepath...but she tends to take it in good humor since she finds the human hang ups on nudity and sexuality a bit amusing.
And like all Betazoid she is completely truthful.

Phaia

EbonyQueen

I'd like to put forth my interest as well. I'm a longtime trekker and my favorite 'era' of Trek has always been TOS into the TMP era. So if you have a place in the game I'd be quite interested in playing as well!

RubySlippers

Estal Haata
Master Chief Petty Officer

Well this will do for now if you allow a unjoined Trill we will be good to go.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: EbonyQueen on February 16, 2013, 11:02:24 AM
I'd like to put forth my interest as well. I'm a longtime trekker and my favorite 'era' of Trek has always been TOS into the TMP era. So if you have a place in the game I'd be quite interested in playing as well!

All Trekkies welcome!  I'll put up a character sheet on a new link later today (when I get my two year old down for a nap) and make the info list and OOC list.  Game list will come later.

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 11:10:00 AM
Estal Haata
Master Chief Petty Officer

Well this will do for now if you allow a unjoined Trill we will be good to go.

You're just completely set on an unjoined Trill, aren't you?  Sigh.  I suppose we'll allow it even though Trill are not yet Federation members as long as you have a darn good explanation in your history for it.

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 10:42:04 AM

You're not confused, Ascia.  Every game runs differently on E and everywhere I've been.  I think your idea for having an impressions is a great idea.  I already have an area for relationships on my older sheet.

I heard no objections to USS Phoenix, so that's what we will be.

So far, I have not heard two people wanting the same crew position which is a good thing.  Diversity is good.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

USS Phoenix is obviously a nod to the Phoenix, Cochran's vessel, and humanity's first warp capable craft.

And if not...you might want to at least have it say so on the dedication plaque. lol Because otherwise it might be confusing IC. ^_^

Branwen

Ebony!  Yay I am so glad you want to play!

Phaia

i was gonna suggest instead of a Constitution class, we have a Miranda class [Reliant] there were something like 150 of these built. They were smaller then the heavy cruiser with a smaller crew and no real story has been done on them!!
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Trill
This might help for the Trill since it does state that they had warp equal to the UFP in the 23rd century and already had contact.
Also Non-Federation beings can be recommended for Star Fleet by a serving Star Fleet officer

Phaia

Phaia

and according to this Betazoid joined the Federation in 2273

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Betazoid

Phaia

RubySlippers

Why do enlisted members have to be Federation world members? The US military and others such as the British allow foreigners to serve as long as they speak the right language, are qualified and take the respective oaths all she needs to be is known to the Federation as a race. That was the case for some time before the games start. Officers only need a sponsor who is a command rank officer to try to get into the Academy aka Nog I suspect unless the race is a big question mark (enemies of the Federation or something) it shouldn't matter for someone enlisting.

She has good reasons its a reliable career path with a force for good (a meaningful life), likely offers people like her a nice pension after her thirty and a top technical education frankly for her as an eighteen year old apprentice on a trading ship seemed like a better deal overall. It shouldn't be an issue in her case.

And the Trill merchants had Earth in the standard trade routes so they did have contact. If I couldn't work it out I wouldn't want to be one.

EbonyQueen

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 11:24:52 AM
All Trekkies welcome!  I'll put up a character sheet on a new link later today (when I get my two year old down for a nap) and make the info list and OOC list.  Game list will come later.

Thanks! I will wait and see what positions are and aren't taken and see what I can take. If you need a good First Officer (Number One!) I can pull that off rather well. I can also easily have her duo has Navigation or Weapons if those bridge stations are not occupied! I am thinking of playing either an Andorian, a Human, or with GM's approval an Orion.

Quote from: Phaia on February 16, 2013, 11:39:16 AM
i was gonna suggest instead of a Constitution class, we have a Miranda class [Reliant] there were something like 150 of these built. They were smaller then the heavy cruiser with a smaller crew and no real story has been done on them!!
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Miranda_class
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Phoenix

I vote to keep it on a Constitution class ship. I, personally like the design and layout of the 'Connie' over the Miranda. But like any good Starfleet Officer I'll go where I am posted!

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 12:04:59 PM
Why do enlisted members have to be Federation world members? The US military and others such as the British allow foreigners to serve as long as they speak the right language, are qualified and take the respective oaths all she needs to be is known to the Federation as a race. That was the case for some time before the games start. Officers only need a sponsor who is a command rank officer to try to get into the Academy aka Nog I suspect unless the race is a big question mark (enemies of the Federation or something) it shouldn't matter for someone enlisting.

She has good reasons its a reliable career path with a force for good (a meaningful life), likely offers people like her a nice pension after her thirty and a top technical education frankly for her as an eighteen year old apprentice on a trading ship seemed like a better deal overall. It shouldn't be an issue in her case.

And the Trill merchants had Earth in the standard trade routes so they did have contact. If I couldn't work it out I wouldn't want to be one.

Oh! And a good 'background' explanation... While usually on citizens from Federation member worlds can apply to Starfleet Academy citizens of non-member wolds can take the placement test if they have a letter of referral or such from a Starfleet officer, or other Federation official.

Branwen

Peace, joy, happiness and we will work all this out. :)

Flatter the GM about his hair and he will likely let you have a klingon.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 11:29:58 AM
USS Phoenix is obviously a nod to the Phoenix, Cochran's vessel, and humanity's first warp capable craft.

And if not...you might want to at least have it say so on the dedication plaque. lol Because otherwise it might be confusing IC. ^_^

Such a wise woman you are!

Quote from: Phaia on February 16, 2013, 11:57:05 AM
and according to this Betazoid joined the Federation in 2273

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Betazoid

Phaia

Whether 2269 on Memory Alpha or 2273, it doesn't matter.  They're in and relatively new.  :)

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 12:04:59 PM

They don't.  See Ebony's very good explanation.  :)

Quote from: EbonyQueen on February 16, 2013, 12:09:21 PM
Thanks! I will wait and see what positions are and aren't taken and see what I can take. If you need a good First Officer (Number One!) I can pull that off rather well. I can also easily have her duo has Navigation or Weapons if those bridge stations are not occupied! I am thinking of playing either an Andorian, a Human, or with GM's approval an Orion.

I vote to keep it on a Constitution class ship. I, personally like the design and layout of the 'Connie' over the Miranda. But like any good Starfleet Officer I'll go where I am posted!

Oh! And a good 'background' explanation... While usually on citizens from Federation member worlds can apply to Starfleet Academy citizens of non-member wolds can take the placement test if they have a letter of referral or such from a Starfleet officer, or other Federation official.

We already decided on a Connie refit.  Layout is in accordance with Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.  I will put it all on the info thread.

As to XO, just might, Ebony and from what I've heard about you from an unnamed source, you'd be a wonderful fit.  PM me, if you would, please.  I'm trying to get a 2 year old in bed after Girl Scout cookies just arrived.

Quote from: Branwen on February 16, 2013, 12:10:29 PM
Peace, joy, happiness and we will work all this out. :)

Flatter the GM about his hair and he will likely let you have a klingon.

No Klingons, no matter how much my hair is flattered.  Worf is the first on any Federation vessel.  :P
O/o's

A/a's

Phaia

so is Brianna Oxila good for medical [or chief medical if needed] possibly pioneering the idea of a consular on broad

Phaia

Ascia

Let's also not forget foreign nationals are often allowed in the military as a path to citizenship. (You might be shocked to learn how many are active duty in the US military.) And Star Trek doesn't mind it's dual citizens; take Worf for example.

Ascia

I just made the same point as Ruby. <3 Sorry!

Look at the issue from another standpoint: The United Federation of Planets is the city on the hill. It's the galactic utopia. There is no poverty, there is no hunger (both untrue, but for the most part on the nice Federation worlds it's true), and their military is taught to seek peaceful solutions even after you've been fired on first. They're open minded and open handed. I can't imagine the Federation saying to even a Romulan, "Nono. We won't even give you the chance to come be part of Starfleet and the Federation."

Does that sound like the Federation or Star Trek to you?

Phaia

What I am seeing is that A counselor is a position aboard Starfleet vessels and installations, usually held by a senior Starfleet officer with training in psychology.
Qualified psychiatrists served aboard starships during the 23rd century. Occasionally, the role of chief medical officer and counselor were combined in the 23rd century, with medical officers also having expertise in space psychology; an example of this is Doctor Leonard McCoy.

So I can see Brianna being the ships Counselor and expert in space psychology; Interspeicies mating rituals and habits; as well as a medical officier as needed...unless we do not have a cheif medical then i have no problem with being that as well

Phaia

EbonyQueen

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 12:18:57 PM

We already decided on a Connie refit.  Layout is in accordance with Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise.  I will put it all on the info thread.

As to XO, just might, Ebony and from what I've heard about you from an unnamed source, you'd be a wonderful fit.  PM me, if you would, please.  I'm trying to get a 2 year old in bed after Girl Scout cookies just arrived.

I'll have to dig out my copy of Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise. It's a bit beaten up as I've had for quite a long time, and PM will be sent posthaste.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Phaia on February 16, 2013, 12:30:36 PM
What I am seeing is that A counselor is a position aboard Starfleet vessels and installations, usually held by a senior Starfleet officer with training in psychology.
Qualified psychiatrists served aboard starships during the 23rd century. Occasionally, the role of chief medical officer and counselor were combined in the 23rd century, with medical officers also having expertise in space psychology; an example of this is Doctor Leonard McCoy.

So I can see Brianna being the ships Counselor and expert in space psychology; Interspeicies mating rituals and habits; as well as a medical officier as needed...unless we do not have a cheif medical then i have no problem with being that as well

Phaia

Yes, counselor was generally more of a doctor, especially on Connies, which were older ships in 2294 and had less room than say an Excelsior.
Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 12:28:08 PM
I just made the same point as Ruby. <3 Sorry!

Look at the issue from another standpoint: The United Federation of Planets is the city on the hill. It's the galactic utopia. There is no poverty, there is no hunger (both untrue, but for the most part on the nice Federation worlds it's true), and their military is taught to seek peaceful solutions even after you've been fired on first. They're open minded and open handed. I can't imagine the Federation saying to even a Romulan, "Nono. We won't even give you the chance to come be part of Starfleet and the Federation."

Does that sound like the Federation or Star Trek to you?

I actually had a Romulan on a ship in one of these era games.  Like I said, for me it is about making sense.

O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 12:45:38 PM
Yes, counselor was generally more of a doctor, especially on Connies, which were older ships in 2294 and had less room than say an Excelsior.
I actually had a Romulan on a ship in one of these era games.  Like I said, for me it is about making sense.

If it's a matter of good writing...then I can do anything I want. ^_^ Yay.

Phaia

Looking to shape up to be a lot of females in this crew hmmm

We have to run into some alien that insists the females have to be naked  ::) :o

Phaia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 12:53:16 PM
If it's a matter of good writing...then I can do anything I want. ^_^ Yay.

Exactly!  I only care about good writing, things making sense, and everyone getting along out of character.  I don't care what happens in character.  Character and person are different. :)

I have opened an OOC List here.

I have also opened an Information Area here.  It will continue to be updated throughout the day.  A character sheet will be put on there soon.

As you will notice, I've put the game in the light section.  I don't mind sex in a game but this game is not about sex and it won't drive the plot.  So, keep that in mind when you're creating your characters.
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Yes if any lady wants to play explore the spots, we can think about a work going in that direction in the game.

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 01:21:33 PM
Yes if any lady wants to play explore the spots, we can think about a work going in that direction in the game.

I actually PMed you with a suggestion that your NCO and my JO are flirting with the idea of a casual relationship, or actually in one.

Part of the trying to set up impressions/relationships before the game actually gets started. We seemed to be heavy on females, so I didn't want to make my character hetero.

But my PM was denied. lol I didn't know you could turn PMs off, sounds nice!

RubySlippers

Okay I think everyone is on my Buddy list so they can PM me. I forgot to do it earlier.

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 01:24:47 PM
I actually PMed you with a suggestion that your NCO and my JO are flirting with the idea of a casual relationship, or actually in one.

Part of the trying to set up impressions/relationships before the game actually gets started. We seemed to be heavy on females, so I didn't want to make my character hetero.

But my PM was denied. lol I didn't know you could turn PMs off, sounds nice!

There were several guys interested at the early part of this thread but you ladies are clearly more vocal.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 01:28:09 PM
Okay I think everyone is on my Buddy list so they can PM me. I forgot to do it earlier.

I already said what I would've in the PM, unfortunately. lol If interested, lemme know. <3 If not, no worries! =)

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 01:52:16 PM
There were several guys interested at the early part of this thread but you ladies are clearly more vocal.  :)

You're saying there were more guys interested but the vocal females...scared them away?

RubySlippers

What are common and uncommon marriage forms in the Federation could say my character have three or four wives?  ;D

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 02:00:20 PM
What are common and uncommon marriage forms in the Federation could say my character have three or four wives?  ;D

I don't think it's ever been approached in canon, at least not regarding overall society.

You'd run into trouble with other races, though, for sure. Say your character was married a few times and my human JO found this out? The human JO probably won't be able to really get it, especially right away. She's human--how could she?

Angel Fire

I just NOW slipped onto this thread and I would like to say that I am SOO glad that I fell into it!  Count me VERY interested!
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Angel Fire on February 16, 2013, 02:08:55 PM
I just NOW slipped onto this thread and I would like to say that I am SOO glad that I fell into it!  Count me VERY interested!

Look up and see the OOC and information threads.  PM me with a character concept.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

RubySlippers

Quote from: Ascia on February 16, 2013, 02:07:31 PM
I don't think it's ever been approached in canon, at least not regarding overall society.

You'd run into trouble with other races, though, for sure. Say your character was married a few times and my human JO found this out? The human JO probably won't be able to really get it, especially right away. She's human--how could she?

Just wondering.

Angel Fire

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 16, 2013, 02:25:50 PM
Look up and see the OOC and information threads.  PM me with a character concept.  :)

I'll do that when I get home this afternoon! *Smiles*
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

RubySlippers

Maybe the Captain can make the ship clothing optional?  :D

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 02:59:38 PM
Maybe the Captain can make the ship clothing optional?  :D

This is not a Betazoid ship.  :p  And when you meet, Kelly Jean O'Connor, you will see that would never fly.
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: RubySlippers on February 16, 2013, 02:40:47 PM
Just wondering.

It's a good question. It just has no easy answer. Some cultures like the Klingons or Romulan would kill her for it. Romulans especially have always been thought to be very anti-homosexual. I know people think Romulans=Rome, but the Rihannsu great houses are typically conservative socially speaking. It's all about honor and image. (And doing what's best for the Empire, ideally--butreallywhodoesthat?)

Others like the Betazoids wouldn't blink.

Who knows, maybe even the Tholians get down like that. ^_^

orderNchaos

Ok, I was interested, but I can barely keep up with the interest thread let alone how bad I'm sure the IC thread will be with the posting rate.  What are we doing?  I've seen pictures of trill officers from DS9 as ships counselors, I've seen lots of discussion about ships and medical personnel and optional clothing requirements.  Can someone tell us where we are in the ship compliment and whether or not this thread will actually happen?

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: orderNchaos on February 16, 2013, 03:14:41 PM
Ok, I was interested, but I can barely keep up with the interest thread let alone how bad I'm sure the IC thread will be with the posting rate.  What are we doing?  I've seen pictures of trill officers from DS9 as ships counselors, I've seen lots of discussion about ships and medical personnel and optional clothing requirements.  Can someone tell us where we are in the ship compliment and whether or not this thread will actually happen?

Yes.

We are playing just after the Motion Picture Era - 2294.  We are on the USS Phoenix, one of the remaining Constitution class refit starships.  An OOC thread is here and the General information thread (complete with character sheet format) is here .
O/o's

A/a's

NaughtyKitty

Is there a crew list yet?  I love Star Trek (I sort of broke into RP with Star Trek).  Usually played an engineer or a helm officer.  But....I'm curious what's open?

Devil's Advocate

No crew list yet as I'm getting all the background information up and looking at submissions shortly thereafter.
O/o's

A/a's

Muse

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 15, 2013, 08:51:14 PM
Our first red shirt? :)

First among red shirts.  ;) 

Sorry about the crappy quality for my last post.  I think I was dozing off. 

My first choice of characters would have a shift on the helm, but could also pilot shuttles for away missions, etc. 

My second choice of characters is also orion, but a gal, so unless I'm missing something about the crew dynamic here I'd probably have more fun with the helmsman. 

Thesunmaid

I love next generation although i admit original holds a special place in my heart since Shatners Canadian. As well as there's an old cemetery on the west side of the city with a head stone that made me smile because it said Captain James T Kirk. born 1783 died 1823 loving father and husband and a faded engraving of what i think is a schooner.(really old head stone made of what looks like sand stone* He was a sea captain but still makes me smile.

But I still like next gen better. I would be very interested in playing in a game if there is one yes. :)

I always found trill fascinating...just because in the past I have run games and I always liked when i run games using parts of peoples backgrounds in my plot...so as a character you can have a reason to have a bunch of random interesting stories in your experiences. and not have to have been there yourself but the memories of them would be there.

I am all for freeform. I like making shit up as I go. It can make for interesting especially if you get a group and see how they interact :)
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

RedEve

Intrigued by this, I have been hoping to join a new Trek game on here ever since Starbase Tesla died.
I have a slight preference of the next gen setting.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: thesunmaid on February 17, 2013, 02:21:16 AM
I love next generation although i admit original holds a special place in my heart since Shatners Canadian. As well as there's an old cemetery on the west side of the city with a head stone that made me smile because it said Captain James T Kirk. born 1783 died 1823 loving father and husband and a faded engraving of what i think is a schooner.(really old head stone made of what looks like sand stone* He was a sea captain but still makes me smile.

But I still like next gen better. I would be very interested in playing in a game if there is one yes. :)

I always found trill fascinating...just because in the past I have run games and I always liked when i run games using parts of peoples backgrounds in my plot...so as a character you can have a reason to have a bunch of random interesting stories in your experiences. and not have to have been there yourself but the memories of them would be there.

I am all for freeform. I like making shit up as I go. It can make for interesting especially if you get a group and see how they interact :)

I would direct you to https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=165965.0 and https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=165968.0 for information on the game.  We're playing on a Constitution refit in 2294, which is just after The Motion Picture (Old Series) ends.  So we're between TOS and TNG.

Quote from: RedEve on February 17, 2013, 05:01:17 AM
Intrigued by this, I have been hoping to join a new Trek game on here ever since Starbase Tesla died.
I have a slight preference of the next gen setting.

Please see above response.  All Trekkies welcome. :)
O/o's

A/a's

Tharic

Just dropping this here.. i may possibly be interested but i'm wondering what the timing is. So far in the IC thread it's looking to move pretty fast. Not sure I could keep up with something that fast..

Branwen

Fuzzy time.  Just pick a partner whose time matches yours.

And hey.  :)  Glad you are looking, Tharic!

Angel Fire

Tharic

Quote from: Branwen on February 18, 2013, 11:06:55 AM
Fuzzy time.  Just pick a partner whose time matches yours.

Okay, so dumb that down for me more..

Branwen

We have big blocks of time to play in, unless we're in an action sequence.

For example, right now we are in the early morning to, say evening of Day 1.  I could post with Angel Fire at 9:30 in game time and write a scene with you at 11:30 game time while she's writing a scene with Muse at 8:00 PM the same day.  So long as we stay consistent with the story, it's okay.

And DA will give us plenty of warning to wrap up scenes before a time change.

Tharic

Hmm.. okay. So reading it sequentially is somewhat impossible, I'll have to adapt my brain for that concept.

Interest, thanks Bran..

Branwen

Quote from: Tharic on February 18, 2013, 11:15:49 AM
Hmm.. okay. So reading it sequentially is somewhat impossible, I'll have to adapt my brain for that concept.

Interest, thanks Bran..

You're welcome.  If it gets too much, just only read the scene you're in and skip over others except GM posts.

Ascia

Quote from: Tharic on February 18, 2013, 11:15:49 AM

Interest, thanks Bran..

Don't worry, I'm just as lost. <3

Ascia

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Branwen on February 18, 2013, 11:14:14 AM
We have big blocks of time to play in, unless we're in an action sequence.

For example, right now we are in the early morning to, say evening of Day 1.  I could post with Angel Fire at 9:30 in game time and write a scene with you at 11:30 game time while she's writing a scene with Muse at 8:00 PM the same day.  So long as we stay consistent with the story, it's okay.

And DA will give us plenty of warning to wrap up scenes before a time change.

I'm so glad that you can translate for me, Bran.  :)

Quote from: Ascia on February 18, 2013, 11:39:35 AM
Don't worry, I'm just as lost. <3

I don't know, Ascia, it looked like you had the concept right on the head when I read it!

Quote from: Tharic on February 18, 2013, 11:42:12 AM
That's not reassuring me Ascia! ;)

Do not feel intimidated, Tharic.  This way, conversations can continue for however long (After all, some people (not me) find it hard to hook up together to JP) and scenes can move along without waiting on one person.  I'm very user friendly and whenever/wherever you need help, I'm more than happy to do so (or apparently Bran, as well).
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 18, 2013, 03:36:42 PM

I don't know, Ascia, it looked like you had the concept right on the head when I read it!

Turns out I learn fast. (Or just copy the formatting from someone else's post to fit my own needs.)

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 18, 2013, 04:50:11 PM
Turns out I learn fast. (Or just copy the formatting from someone else's post to fit my own needs.)

In other words, you're smart. :)
O/o's

A/a's

Ascia

Quote from: Devil's Advocate on February 18, 2013, 05:05:36 PM
In other words, you're smart. :)

Smart and/or trained not to let something I don't know stop me, because 'can't do it' isn't an answer in the USN. w00. =)

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Ascia on February 18, 2013, 05:09:36 PM
Smart and/or trained not to let something I don't know stop me, because 'can't do it' isn't an answer in the USN. w00. =)

Love the Can Do spirit!
O/o's

A/a's