Interest Check: Aberrant (the white wolf superhumans game) in Ancient Earth

Started by Kolbrandr, July 24, 2015, 08:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolbrandr

Nope, you can just be part of the Theran Compact generally without being part of one of the three groups within it if such is the preference.

Muse

*nods*  Thanks for clarifying. 

In case I've confused things, Winter Moon wants to join the Rhadamanthine Order. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kolbrandr

More things I guess I need to add. Setting aside that we're thousands of years in the past, the Therans are the humanocentric group what believes in benevolent existence alongside humanity, being responsible and caring gods to them. The philosophies of the chrysalis are by contrast transhuman at best, and inhuman at worst. They are a reflection of mindsets that don't particularly exist in the compact, as compared to, say, the Heraclidae. Indeed, the idea of pursuing one's own divinity simply for the sake of one's own divinity and let the world get out of my way or be damned is part of what caused the Heraclidae/Theran war to start.

Which is to say, it doesn't exist to pursue in Thera in the first place, but no, things like the chrysalis, things like node spark, they are not things in Thera. Your character should not really have either.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Muse on August 13, 2015, 01:09:52 AM
*nods*  Thanks for clarifying. 

In case I've confused things, Winter Moon wants to join the Rhadamanthine Order.

Sure. You can start in such. Might need to have more backing and influence mind you, I'll look at your sheet.

Muse

I can shuffle, though what I figured might happen was that her areas of backing and influence would shift after her change of rolls. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Kolbrandr

I'm going to tell a story.

Once, I was going to run an Exalted: Dragon Blooded campaign, it was going to be Lookshy/7th legion based and heavily gundam inspired. The idea was that everyone would be warstrider pilots in the times just after the Contagion where society was still pulling itself up from the ruins, dragon blooded were fighting to rule it, the Tiger generals were going to be more of a thing as opposed to immediately kersploded, so forth. So I was pretty clear on the whole "7th legion mobile force" as I called it, everyone are young hotshot warstrider pilots, gundam inspirations, etc.

Come time to game, no one actually made a warstrider pilot. In fact no one made anything remotely connected or coherent with each other, just random stuff they slapped together and figured I'd run this campaign for them anyway. In fact, no one was even part of Lookshy/the 7th legion. Mysteriously, I did not run the campaign. It's one thing when a GM goes "hey, what would you guys like to play" or we truck in consensus worldbuilding or what have you. It's another thing when the situation is the GM presenting an outlined thing and going "this is what I'd like to run". A perfectly valid response is "I have no interest in that". An insulting response is "I want to be an exemption to everything you've just said, in a way that can't fit in it at all, now run your thing anyway, I also didn't look at anything you just noted."

I'm totally happy not to run a game if there's no interest in a game, that's just life. I'm not happy to create a campaign, present what its about, then get the equivalent of "cool story bro, now here's why I want to ignore all that, also I was ignoring you while you were talking". If you don't like the premise, don't want to be part of the premise, that's super fine, you don't actually have to play. I will bear you no ill will for it.

tl;dr: ravinwulf will not be in this game.

ravinwulf

Sorry i am one who likes to be creative, I don't get to game in real life due to my job. I would really like to be part of this i just wanted to know a few things and wether they would be allowed. I argue cause i want to know where things stand and what s allowed.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: ravinwulf on August 13, 2015, 01:31:32 AM
Sorry i am one who likes to be creative, I don't get to game in real life due to my job. I would really like to be part of this i just wanted to know a few things and wether they would be allowed. I argue cause i want to know where things stand and what s allowed.

One would think you would have stopped after the first "no" then as opposed to the back and forth of the last ten minutes or so. As a contrast to someone else asking for a nonstandard concept who I am trying to help out, Pretty in Pink at least read the campaign stuff as far as being able to note her troubles and preferences with it as opposed to straight up not reading it at all and saying near verbatim "why is my transhumanist who views humanity as meager things he refuses to be subject to not a good fit for a group who believe in benevolent and prosperous nurturing coexistence with humanity?" Again, thank you for your interest and your time. I don't want you in this campaign. Please stop replying to me.

ravinwulf

I wanted to know whether or not a character who's sole reason for being there is a very personal one would even be able to exist in this gae, as you have stated that can not be i am simply wishing to apologies for the aggravation, and ask if we cant start off anew on this discussion. I admit i skimmed the material tyring to read it to y best of ability, But i may have missed a few things. Over all you have a great idea, I guess i just should have left it at that and worked off what i could gather about it.

Kolbrandr

Quote from: Muse on August 13, 2015, 01:19:59 AM
I can shuffle, though what I figured might happen was that her areas of backing and influence would shift after her change of rolls.

Raise your backing to 3 and influence to 4 would be my notes there.

Pretty in Pink

Concept here.  For final perusal by the DM.

QuoteFew among the Heraclidae would willingly go headlong into the philosophy of the Theran Compact.  But when a young Fianna woman, taken as a prisoner of war by one of the myriad cultures around Theros, found her master's culture absorbed, it didn't take her long to realize there were only two ways out: remain a slave until the day she died, which might well be a long, long time, or convert.  She did so, though it took her some time to formally vocalize the decision.

Things went on as expected for a Theran slave: she was treated well, educated, and even pampered by her master.  But when he died, just shy of her seventeenth birthday, specific instructions were left to have her freed, and she was at loose ends in a new home.

It didn't take her long to join a local militia unit, led by a rather dour Chosen.  She slipped right in to the camaraderie seamlessly, throwing herself headlong into the - what she would never know it as - exact same training she would have gotten had she been raised amongst her own people.  She excelled, quickly rising to become a sub-lieutenant, only separated from the Chosen by her own immediate superior, who answered directly to the Chosen.

During an engagement at the border, [will insert more details on her choosing here when I have them figured out].

The manner of her becoming Chosen brought her to the attention of two groups: The Rhadamanthine Order, always on the lookout for strong soldiers willing to lay down their lives against the uneducated rabble that always sought to bring down the Theran Compact, and Xenos' Men.  Her former commander - refusing to order around a peer - suggested she seek membership with the Rhadamanthine, and wished her luck with the trials and entrance process.

So at loose ends again, barely 24 years of age, she went and petitioned for membership.  Throughout the year long examination of her person, her history, her abilities, and the new capabilities being Chosen had given her, she was working to learn exactly what she was capable of now that she had the power she did.

When she was admitted, she immediately threw herself into the duties of the Rhadamanthine Order, immediately taking up a patrol on the edge of Theran territory.  Here, she helped put down an uprising staged by the Hand of Baal, personally singling out and beating the leader.  Finally, this had proved the final straw, and her return to Thera's capitol saw her approached by a member of Xenos' counterintelligence division, offering a place in their ranks to 'a true convert, one worthy of helping to protect Thera's interests, and her people'.  She accepted, and now works a double life, fulfilling the duties assigned her by the Companions, but always waiting for that call that would send her in to deal with another suspected spy.[/spoiler]
[FLOATLEFT][/FLOATLEFT]O.O ~{=}~ Ideas ~{=}~ A&A[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

I've taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RP

Elven Sex Goddess

Dang,  character ready for approval.  Hope didn't make too many mistakes.    Anyways character is on pg 3 of this thread.   

ravinwulf

Am i allowed to be part of this or am i to be shunned lie some random sociopath on the street?

Kolbrandr

Some quick notes from some initial passes:

ESG: That much backing in the Venerated Seers is a hefty thing, then again as the bearer of preter/postcognition, not the most common of things, that's a likely explanation for such heft.

QuoteIt was not the most impressive powers. 

Your powers are impressive just fine ;p

Also at 1 dot of taint you don't really have any visible aberrations, but if you really want the funky eyes, sure, I'm cool with it.

PiP: Backstory reads well so far, certainly some border tribe or city or small nation to Thera joining Thera and your ending up inside the Compact by default is a thing that can happen. I would note, it's just Thera, not Theros or any such. And I'd prefer a hand of Baal, not The Hand of Baal, if only because for Baal that can be a fluid sort of thing to who currently has managed to earn his attention that month *cough*

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Kolbrandr on August 14, 2015, 01:19:58 AM
Some quick notes from some initial passes:

ESG: That much backing in the Venerated Seers is a hefty thing, then again as the bearer of preter/postcognition, not the most common of things, that's a likely explanation for such heft.

Your powers are impressive just fine ;p

Also at 1 dot of taint you don't really have any visible aberrations, but if you really want the funky eyes, sure, I'm cool with it.

Not as impressive as there is no fireworks or obvious spectacular displays. 

On the visible minor aberration.   It is like a person with eyes hues of a bluish green that in certain light reflect a greenish aspect or sometimes blue.   It is a subtle aspect as it is not in regards to lighting but her attuning to the sands of time.   Thus the sun dial aspect of coloration shift in her iris. 

To others I am open to dialog to create background history of creating a log of intertwine shared history to help with cohesion of the group.   It does not have to be a deep encompassing history.  It can be mere knowledge of each other or perhaps they knew each other.   I am open to any kind of suggestions.   

Muse

Made the changes.  Added some details. 

E.S.G., looks like my little brohter fugure wouldn't be around.  I'm not a venerated seer, but would have made a perfeclty good one.  Would you like to work out some ties? 

I currently avhe winter at 19.  how old is your girl?

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Muse on August 15, 2015, 12:00:14 PM
  Made the changes.  Added some details. 

E.S.G., looks like my little brohter fugure wouldn't be around.  I'm not a venerated seer, but would have made a perfeclty good one.  Would you like to work out some ties? 

I currently avhe winter at 19.  how old is your girl?

She is in her mid thirties her exact age is unknown.    With her build she is a person with a life span naturally of a 180 years.  An that is before further experience and future evolving of the character.  I have her at such a age to represent her backing and influence purchased.   It would not fit with someone of a younger age.   

Possible ties is the Prophetess could be a patron of your girl Winter.   Someone that stood out to the alumni of the Theran academy.   

An yes your character is of the Rhadamanthines.   Such a connection would weave in a poltical landscape of a  venerated seer.   As all sub factions adhere to the Theran compact.

Meliai

Here's my huge rambling bio~
Already got the OK from Kol, working on her sheet now
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The girl that would eventually take the name Kometa was born in a small pastoral community some distance north of the Theran border. Her parents named her Roza and she was the final (at least her parents hoped she was the final) of many children, all of whom spent their days working on the family farm. She grew up quick (a trait her parents found quite handy) and clever (one rather wasted on a farm hand. They would have prefered her to be strong, but no one is perfect and there were plenty of other children to pick up Roza’s slack.) Though rather scrawny compared to her older siblings she was a hard worker from the first days she could toddle along after her mother. When she got older and could make the trip in to town on her own it was this admirable work ethic that convinced her parents to look the other way when she occasionally lingered to listen to the wandering traders’ tales.
   Roza would sit, hanging on every word as they relayed stories of god-blooded men and of women touched by the divine. She spent hours upon hours as she grew up listening to unbelievable tales of their heroic exploits. They were just stories, her older siblings would say when she recounted the tales the next day, but Roza liked stories.
   Early in her adolescence Roza’s parents began sending her out into the fields with the sheep. Her diligence and sharp eye were of more use watching over the flock than they were on the farm proper. It was difficult and often dangerous work, but the girl found a contentment in her new duties that she’d never known on the farm. A wanderlust that had infected her at a young age, brought on by the traders’ descriptions of distant lands, finally had an outlet, even if her travels only took her a few miles from home most of the time.
   The years marched on; with much of her time spent afield Roza rarely got to hear new tales from the traders, but the locales became less and less exotic as the expansion of Thera’s borders crept closer and closer to her homeland.
As she grew older Roza replaced the family’s old shepherd entirely, staying out with the flock even in the winter months, when the sheep had to be taken to distant fields to find food, and it was in one such remote valley that Roza Awoke to her power.
   Wolves were a danger every Shepherd faced eventually, but if a mindful watcher could keep the lambs from straying actual attacks were rare. There was easier prey than a well-guarded flock, prey without sheepdogs or arrows to protect it, but the hunter that came for Roza and her wards was not a simple beast
   She came from the woods, and was the most beautiful thing the shepherdess had ever seen. She was running, the girl claimed, from a pair of wicked and relentless pursuers, and begged for a bite to eat and a place to rest for a few hours. Roza nodded, entranced by the strange girl’s voice, oblivious to the sheepdogs’ growls and the fawn spots on the furs the traveller wore. Before she knew what was happening Roza was on her back, the beautiful stranger’s lips upon her own, hands slipping beneath her heavy winter clothes. A pain flooded her body as the girl’s hands finally made contact with her skin and she could feel her strength leaving her, her energy sapped away. The girl smirked down at Roza, whose attempts to throw her off, but a commotion at the edge of the woods quickly drew her attention. Roza could vaguely make out two figures, but her head was too fuzzy to focus on anything but her plight.
“Sorry, pretty little thing. No time to make this fun, I’m afraid it’s going to hurt.” the girl said, and the pain wracking the shepherdess's body increased beyond anything she could bear.
It was nothing compared to the feeling in her head though. In an instant it felt as if a white-hot nail had pierced her skull and her vision went black. When the world became real again she was on the other side of the field, watching the shocked and confused stranger scramble to her feet as the other figures shot towards her, one trailed by jets of fire.
The fight was over quickly; Roza had tried to gather her fock and flee, but between the exhaustion brought on by...whatever she’d done and the lingering pain in her head it wasn’t difficult for the twins to catch up with her. Eventually Roza recognised Orestes and Electra from the traders’ stories and she stopped trying to hit them with her shepherd’s crook when they tried to draw near, and things were explained.

A few months later Roza, now known as Kometa to the masses, found herself in the heart of Thera. It took some time to bring her up to the level of scholarship expected of a Theran Champion (education in her little farming community had been nearly nonexistent) but she took to it well, and has since found a place as a messenger and courier when other Chosen need something passed along with great speed and security.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Muse

Here's a new draft that includes a brief tenure as Prophetess's secreatary-priestess and how Winter Moon was chosen. 

Moon Child
Winter Moon
   Ahmes, or "Moon Child," is the daughter of a family of scribes.  Her father worked recording government documents in Alexandria, her mother was a doctor. 

Moon Child began attending temple-school at the age of five and began her advanced education at nine.  Despite being a day dreamer interested in warfare and adventure, Moon Child was a brilliant student.  All the students trained in athleticism and hand to hand combat for fitness and self defense. Moon Child put a great deal of energy into these topics.  She proved especially apt with the quarterstaff—which was considered an appropriate self defense weapon for a traveling scholar and thus was emphasized a great deal at her academy. 

On her nineteenth birthday, Moon Child graduated as a qualified scribe and doctor.  She achieved a position beneath a venerated seer—the Eternal Prophetess of Thera.  Her roll was primarily that of a secretary and priestess to the sensual goddess.  Recording her prophecies was considered a particularly important and prestigious position. 

Moon Child often felt her heart flutter, blood warm, and nipples tighten when the Prophetess used her gifts.  Three months into this posting, assassins struck against the Prophetess.  Moon Child stood to defend her employer with her ceremonial stave.   The prophetess slowed time for Moon Child, making it possible for her to stand against the numerous shadows with gleaming glass knives that peeled off of the walls to attack them. 

Moon child felt the sensation that overcame her when the prophetess used her power burning through her like never before.  When time resumed it's usual flow, Moon Child did not slow.  She did her part against the assassins not only with her staff, but with rays of the winter's chill and chains of ice. 

One of her fellow secretary-priestesses was mortally wounded in the fighting.  Moon Child was able to save her life with a prayer to Isis.  As she intoned it, Isis's wings manifested around her in silver light. 

Oh Isis, thou great enchantress, heal me, deliver me from all evil, bad, typhonic things, from demoniacal and deadly diseases and pollutions of all sorts that rush upon me, as thou didst deliver and release thy son Horus!
-The Ebers Papyrus, ca. 1500 BCE

http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/scribe.html

Kolbrandr

just quick notes while I'm making quick notes (several people are still working on their characters and all), if you take something like contacts, allies, so forth, let me know what you have in mind for such to represent.

avorae

Nandi

BIOGRAPHICAL DATA

Chosen Name: N/A
Eruption: Excitement
Nature: Hedonistic
Allegiance: The Theran Compact
Current occupation: Performer, Spy
Former occupation: Student
Citizenship: The Theran Compact
Legal status: No criminal record
Place of birth: Zimbabwe
Martial status: Single
Known relatives: Mother: Nobuhle [Beautiful one]
Known allies: None
Major enemies: The Heraclidae
Current group membership: Xenos Men
Former group membership: The Cabiri
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 165
Eyes: Emerald-Blue
Hair: Brown
Skin tone: Mocha
Build: Athletic
Measurement: 36C-28-36
Date of Birth: April 28
Distinguishing features: Unusual birthmark of a metallic blue butterfly on right butt cheek.

HISTORY(WIP)
Every great hero has to have a story. Some come from humble beginnings. Others more grand.

Mine starts with a battlefield....

Battlefields have always been part of my life. I was conceived on a battlefield when my mother was raped by one of the soldiers who destroyed our home. I was born on a battlefield as my mother attempted to escape from the place from which she sought sanctuary as the war ravaged consuming everything in its path.

I grew up on the run with my mother escaping one pointless battle after another. The whys and hows of what caused the war eventually blurred but two things became certain to my childish mind. One was that my mother had incredible strength and determination. The other was that I believed her when she said we can truly find peace if we made it north just past Egypt.

I was nearly six when we finally reached the sanctuary of the Theran compact.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Pretty in Pink

A bit of a lore snippet, and then a question.

QuoteWhile many believe that in Norse Mythology, the title "Queen of the Valkyries" was properly attributed to Brynhildr, this is a false assumption.  Brynhildr was not their queen, but their leader, a general among sisters.  The title "Queen" was more appropriate to Freya, wife to Odin-Allfather, who was responsible for watching over the Einherjar, the souls of the fallen brave warriors, in her hall until the day of Ragnarok.

My question is this: Has Thera absorbed a culture similar enough that my girl could be a Chosen of Freya?  And no, I'm not talking the Marvel gods, I'm talking the gods the Vikings revered and worshiped way way back.

Kolbrandr

The Aesir, such as they might be viewed, are generally all up in Ensi (Ensi otherwise being a related term for) lands, Baal having appropriated the name for his terrifying organization, and them, hence the note of them being like a group within his group (Woden for instance is rolling around as a Chosen. He's quite awful!). And said basically correspond to chunks of Northern Europe/Germany. So.. not really.

Thera is basically Iraq, Greece (and the islands like Crete and Cyprus and pre volcanically exploded Thera and so forth), Egypt, some varying and disputed chunks of North Africa, Anatolia, the Levant/Eastern Mediterranean, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and some light amorphous blob reaching past all those borders a bit (the Balkans are contested, for one)

The Heraclidae between all their factions hold Ireland, varying and disputed chunks of North Africa, chunks of Russia, and other various non uniform (and in many cases, non contiguous) blobs of territory across Western/Central/Eastern/Northern Europe (though interesting and specifically not England/Scotland/Wales)

Pretty in Pink

Ah, alright.  I'm sorry, I missed that section of the notes.  v_v  Bad player, bad!  With that being said...  I'll probably go with Minerva for mine.  Working on it, I'll have it done tonight (I hope).