Explosions Rock the Boston Marathon

Started by ShadowFox89, April 15, 2013, 03:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 19, 2013, 03:02:36 PM
I mean... yeah, shit like that happens everywhere all the time, but does that somehow make it somehow more horrible because it happened in the States? I mean... 2 deaths and over 130 wounded isn't something to sneeze at, obviously, but honestly I have seen more deaths in a traffic accident... so should they start classifying drunk driving as an act of terror?

It's the intent and the action that classifies a crime.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Aislinn

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 19, 2013, 03:02:36 PM
I mean... yeah, shit like that happens everywhere all the time, but does that somehow make it somehow more horrible because it happened in the States? I mean... 2 deaths and over 130 wounded isn't something to sneeze at, obviously, but honestly I have seen more deaths in a traffic accident... so should they start classifying drunk driving as an act of terror?

Like Oniya says....major sporting event probably played into it.

I think our media machine has a lot to do with it, no doubt. But as well, this is getting world-wide attention from foreign media outlets (have talked to several of my friends in other countries) so it's not just a U.S. media blitz. For whatever reason, the foreign media is just as interested.
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Deamonbane

*nods* Anyway, I didn't mean to sound callous or anything... what happened there was horrible, and if I was given the chance, I would happily wield the axe to behead the fucker...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Aislinn on April 19, 2013, 03:08:11 PM
Like Oniya says....major sporting event probably played into it.

I think our media machine has a lot to do with it, no doubt. But as well, this is getting world-wide attention from foreign media outlets (have talked to several of my friends in other countries) so it's not just a U.S. media blitz. For whatever reason, the foreign media is just as interested.

Well, it's an event that has thousands of participants, many of them foreign. Do you think the Tour De France would have as much coverage, should someone decide to bomb the finish line?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Oniya

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 19, 2013, 03:16:29 PM
Well, it's an event that has thousands of participants, many of them foreign. Do you think the Tour De France would have as much coverage, should someone decide to bomb the finish line?

Hell yeah.  I've seen the normal media coverage of the Tour.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aislinn

This is very true. My point was simply that I don't believe it's being so highly covered -just- because its in the United States or because of the United States media.

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 19, 2013, 03:14:53 PM
*nods* Anyway, I didn't mean to sound callous or anything... what happened there was horrible, and if I was given the chance, I would happily wield the axe to behead the fucker...

I don't think you sounded like that....I think you are simply asking the same questions many of us are. It's hard to wrap your mind around it...
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Chris Brady

Oh fuck yes.

We'd be hearing about it for YEARS.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Deamonbane on April 19, 2013, 02:51:26 PM
The question I keep asking myself is... if this had happened in any other part of the world, would it have gotten this much press coverage?

I dunno..the subway bombings in Madrid and London got pretty good coverage about this far along..now.. 3 months from now.. ask again.

You do realize the Boston Marathon is a WORLD event.. possibly the best known marathon there is. I've heard folks in Crete talk about it..and Spain.

consortium11

Do you think the Tour De France would have as much coverage, should someone decide to bomb the finish line?

Probably more.

Bombing the finish line of the Tour de France would involve bombing the Champs-Élysées, one of the most iconic and famous streets in the world. Beyond that it's a race featuring some incredibly high profile athletes (if not always for the right reasons) and the nature of the last day of the tour (which is basically a joyride where the leader and his domestiques have been known to open a bottle of champagne and drink it during the ride) outside of the last sprint everyone generally bunches together with the leader is in the middle of the peloton which means the most high profile target also happens to be the one which would cause the most death and injury.

Coverage for the last day of the Tour is pretty mad in-and-of itself, even without anything else.

Deamonbane

I usually don't pay attention to marathons, so I wouldn't be the one to ask... but yeah, at a major sporting event, say like the Super Bowl, FIFA world cup final, olympics... Yeah...  Let's hope they find the guy...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

consortium11

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 19, 2013, 03:47:15 PM
You do realize the Boston Marathon is a WORLD event.. possibly the best known marathon there is. I've heard folks in Crete talk about it..and Spain.

Perhaps I'm a bit blinded by my Britishness here but I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. Unlike many US sporting events there's almost no coverage of it over here; without these tragic events I'd have had little idea it was going on and certainly wouldn't know any details about the race.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: consortium11 on April 19, 2013, 03:54:17 PM
Perhaps I'm a bit blinded by my Britishness here but I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. Unlike many US sporting events there's almost no coverage of it over here; without these tragic events I'd have had little idea it was going on and certainly wouldn't know any details about the race.

Back before I messed up my knee and I was up to 10 miles a day.. my chief (who was a marathoner) introduced me to a lot of folks..he'd run in Athens, London and Rome.. but everyone he talked with always talked about 'Heartbreak Hill' in the Boston marathon as the 'big point' of the runs they wanted to do.

consortium11

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 19, 2013, 04:06:44 PM
Back before I messed up my knee and I was up to 10 miles a day.. my chief (who was a marathoner) introduced me to a lot of folks..he'd run in Athens, London and Rome.. but everyone he talked with always talked about 'Heartbreak Hill' in the Boston marathon as the 'big point' of the runs they wanted to do.

In danger of taking us off-topic here so I'll spoiler.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I think it's one of those things where if you're a serious runner it's big news but it has limited range outside of that. To use the cycling example the Tour de France is big news but the other tours (even the other Grand Tours) are far less well known outside of cycling circles

gaggedLouise

The Russians have probably been looking VERY closely at their plans for next year's Winter Olympics in Sochi, all along - the security machine there is going to be massive and pervasive. The last thing they want is some terrorists mounting an attack there. Chechnya is just a few hundred miles away and there's been this string of major terrorist attacks in Russia itself by Chechyen groups a couple years ago - the school occupation at Beslan, residential houses blown up in Moscow and so on. With hundreds of dead.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

consortium11

Quote from: gaggedLouise on April 19, 2013, 05:34:17 PM
The Russians have probably been looking VERY closely at their plans for next year's Winter Olympics in Sochi, all along - the security machine there is going to be massive and pervasive. The last thing they want is some terrorists mounting an attack there. Chechnya is just a few hundred miles away and there's been this string of major terrorist attacks in Russia itself by Chechyen groups a couple years ago - the school occupation at Beslan, residential houses blown up in Moscow and so on. With hundreds of dead.

The number is almost certainly in the thousands; there were around 700 deaths from the apartment bombings and Beslan alone, let alone the slightly less high profile subways bombs, bombs on planes, bombings of government buildings and the like. And that's without looking into the somewhat grey area where organised crime and terrorism interweave.

It's also worth noting that a significant number of the foiled terrorists plots over the past few years have featured terrorists from Chechnya, Dagestan and other Soviet republics.

The Russian situation will be interesting, partly because there will be legitimate groups looking to use the occasion to hold protests as well. Russia will have to balance giving them reasonable freedom (albeit such freedom is always restricted during events such as this) and the security situation.

gaggedLouise

*nods* I should have written, hundreds at a time. And there's no doubt that some activist groups from the Caucasus and Central Asia, legitimate and more fringe violent, will see Sochi as their shop window to make the world aware of their grievances.

TheGlyphstone

So in relevant news, it's looking like they've cornered him in a backyard in Watertown, hiding under a boat covered by a tarp.

gaggedLouise

Just heard on the BBC: a few years back, the FBI had interviewed the now dead brother because of concerns about possible ties to extremist movements; they had been tipped off on this by some foreign intelligence agency or diplomats (likely Russia?) The FBI talked to him, then closed the file and did nothing further.

Ephiral

Beguile's Mistress

Current coverage is alluding to the fact that the second suspect, the younger of the two brothers, is in custody.  The report is unconfirmed by anything other than police radio traffic.

Kuje

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on April 19, 2013, 07:47:22 PM
Current coverage is alluding to the fact that the second suspect, the younger of the two brothers, is in custody.  The report is unconfirmed by anything other than police radio traffic.

ABC is confirming this.

consortium11

Police department have confirmed suspect is in custody.

gaggedLouise

Good that they managed to get him without more people getting injured, but getting him to talk and explain likely isn't going to be easy. His levels of adrenalin, anger and shock must be near eleven by now - not to mention the exhaustion he's likely to slump into.

Trieste

I'm really annoyed that they're reporting this guy went to my undergrad. I mean, I'm in grad school and part of why I'm determined to do well is so they see the name "Trie's Undergrad School" on future transcripts and say "Oh, yeah, Trie was from there, she was a good student - that's a good school." And now, this fucker has associated guns and bombs with my fucking school. I feel like my months of work mean very little in the face of that.

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 19, 2013, 12:58:08 AM
Dear god... what the hell is wrong with this country....

There is a lot wrong with this country, but in this particular case, that is irrelevant. What is relevant here is what it wrong with these people. This country did not do this. Those people did.

Quote from: Aislinn on April 19, 2013, 02:24:20 PM
Yus!!!

Love Abby so much....

I found this on facebook...and thought it was apt.

Link doesn't work.

Ephiral

Federal custody, so barring another suspicious timeline incident, he might actually survive to trial.