Cthulhutech Game Interest check

Started by Paladin, February 13, 2009, 10:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefect Mos

No one is telling me WHY its such a better system for this game, witch is lending itself to me thinking its just fanboyisum. Could some one tell me why the Ctch system is so far and away better for the system, what does it bring to the table rules wise that can justify the rest of the players picking up the source material and the hours and hours it takes to learn a new system,

ZK

Uh, no one is telling that it's a better system. The game itself and a lot of it's sources are built around the system itself in terms of combat, how magic is applied, learned, et cetera and many other things. It's a storytelling game first and foremost in terms of comparability, it could be compared loosely to how standard d10 games made by White Wolf is used.

The system isn't superior. It just works as it was made entirely for the game and it isn't as confusing as many says, just the means of doting success is handled like a poker game. That's the only true unique flare the dice system possesses.

With me, I think Paladin might be the same way. But I'd prefer to play the game with the dice system that it was introduced with or go full out freeform to keep from having to rewrite a lot of things, readjust for new dice system and change mechanics as a whole. Conversions can take quite a long time when it's not the same or more advanced edition of said dice system.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Paladin

Quote from: ZK on February 14, 2009, 02:13:36 PM
Uh, no one is telling that it's a better system. The game itself and a lot of it's sources are built around the system itself in terms of combat, how magic is applied, learned, et cetera and many other things. It's a storytelling game first and foremost in terms of comparability, it could be compared loosely to how standard d10 games made by White Wolf is used.

The system isn't superior. It just works as it was made entirely for the game and it isn't as confusing as many says, just the means of doting success is handled like a poker game. That's the only true unique flare the dice system possesses.

With me, I think Paladin might be the same way. But I'd prefer to play the game with the dice system that it was introduced with or go full out freeform to keep from having to rewrite a lot of things, readjust for new dice system and change mechanics as a whole. Conversions can take quite a long time when it's not the same or more advanced edition of said dice system.

Umm yes Thank you ZK. I'm not really good at explaining myself in situations.

Muse

*waves* 

I for one would be very intrested to play, Paladin, and, I'm hardly the best example of a system of normal person's time constraints, but I normaly have no issue learning the basics of a new system if I'm going to play a game in it. 

Admer, ZK's explenation applies to a lot of games that people later try to apply d20 open lisence too, the systems and the worlds were already inexorably linked.  If you want to talk more about the pros and cons of d20, I'm sure there's an apropriate forum.  I've just been hiding in Insane Musings so long that I'm not qutie sure where to find it.  *Sweatdrop* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Prefect Mos

Ohh im not talking about d20s pros and cons, Im trying to figure out why this particular system could not be played using it.. and why its so differnt that makes it the best to play this game with.

ZK

It's a d10 Stat and Skill based numbered dot system. There are no character levels and infinite character development. It's more streamlined and does not adhere a set of rules in terms of advancement other then how much XP is such thing, reason for getting it and how long it takes to train/acquire/et-cetera.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Mnemaxa

The system Cthulutech uses does not lend itself to modification to other systems.  There are three reasons for it:

First, and this is the one that makes it hardest, the system is based on choosing out of three different ways you can calculate your dice rolls - the highest die, adding the highest pair together, or taking the numbers that make up a straight and adding all of them together for a final total.  There is a marked versatility to this that removes a lot of the bell curve normally associated with 6-sided dice rolls, since such bell curves need a straight set of d6 added together for a working bell curve.

Second, the difficulty classes for various things one does are based on this skewed system of dice rolls.  The chances of successfully rolling higher means that the difficult to achieve is also markedly higher.  Swithcing the systems lowers the number of ways a PC can roll their dice, because the other systems don't use multiple dice (D20) or use a different number on the die (d10's) and thus make it too easy to gain higher rolls without altering the difficulties to reflect that.

The last reason is the simplest reason:  it's time consuming and fraught with the possibility of making something too hard or too easy by accident.  Much easier to use the system as is than alter it on your own. 

As for my two cents, I'd love to play Cthulhutech. Tentacles, Eldritch Horrors, and impossible odds abound, as well as monstersex. ^_^

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Foxy

I am fine with learning Cthulhutech as it sounds like the old Call of Cthulhu game that had skills with percents (if I remember) and it was based on a 100d (percercent ) roll.  I would just need some help with the character.

Lorelei

I own the book and have always been interested in giving it a try.  Count me in if you have room for more. 

Paladin

Sweet. well since someone just bought the book I will have to run now.

Lets get a show of plans who still wants to play.

Mnemaxa

Still interested, most likely in Engel piloting or as a Tager.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Paladin

I forgot to mention this will be a street Level game. Tagers are a Go but I"m not big on Giant Mecha.

Mnemaxa

No problem. I'm flexible.  Nazzadi okay?

Lorelei

Human for me.   I would prefer to be a socialite or a thief or a prostitute but if I had to choose one of the listed Profession Templates, 'd say Intelligence Agent or Occult Scholar. 

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Lorelei on February 15, 2009, 08:13:13 PM
Human for me.   I would prefer to be a socialite or a thief or a prostitute but if I had to choose one of the listed Profession Templates, 'd say Intelligence Agent or Occult Scholar. 

No reason you can't take the template and 'adjust it' to reflect a thief's work.  Or be a prostitute who does the work to fund her dabbling in the occult (those books are expensive!).

Paladin

Ok You will all eventually be recruited by the Eldritch Society to work for them. Anyone Playing a Tager or ES Magic User will obviousely have a bit of a heads up on some things since they will start as part of the ES but the Team will be a mixed team eventually.

Vade Mecum is Legal to use for anyone who has it and if anyone wants to play a Military Soldier character I have an in for them as well.

Mnemaxa

I'll have to check Vade Mecum. 

BTW, Dark Passions is out, and it's quite lovely stuff.   Nothing of use to a Tager per se, but lots of sub cults and lesser known deities mentioned.

Paladin

Quote from: Mnemaxa on February 15, 2009, 08:47:25 PM
I'll have to check Vade Mecum. 

BTW, Dark Passions is out, and it's quite lovely stuff.   Nothing of use to a Tager per se, but lots of sub cults and lesser known deities mentioned.

Yea I need to get it.

Paladin

ok so we have 2 yesses and I think Foxy is a yes since she bought the book. I could run with 3 and am willing but 4 would be nice.

ZK

I'll pass, I don't care to play as a Tager or anything in concert with one.

Reason: My last four games I've played, it's all been Tager involved from the get-go. I want to do something else other then Tager.

Paladin

Quote from: ZK on February 16, 2009, 09:28:30 PM
I'll pass, I don't care to play as a Tager or anything in concert with one.

Reason: My last four games I've played, it's all been Tager involved from the get-go. I want to do something else other then Tager.

WEll ZK what would you like to do? I could possibly run 2 diffrent games. One with Tagers and one without.

ZK

No, that's fine. I don't want to stamp my foot and get special treatment because I don't want to play what everyone else is. So I'll just step out and let you focus on one game.

Mnemaxa

I'm flexible, ZK - I don't mind playign something not Tager.   If it's Eldritch Society based I wouldn't mind being a researcher or the like.

Transgirlenstein

Oh me me!  I don't have the book but would love to paly either freeform or with the system.

If I could get in either a tagger or something caster might be fun.

Unless you have the book that lets you play a ghoul? :)
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Mnemaxa