Corporate Terminology for Fun and Profit!

Started by Remiel, May 22, 2014, 09:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

So, Suspires and I were talking about corporate phrasology recently, particularly this site, which purports to teach English to English-as-a-second-language students by teaching them corporate buzzwords.  Naturally, our initial reaction was to shake our heads in despair, until I looked closer, and discovered that the incorrect answers were actually pretty epic. 

The fun didn't stop there, however.  Determined to milk every ounce of hilarity, I went and fished my tablet out of retirement and drew some really shitty (but hopefully hilarious) clip art to illustrate my mental imagery. 

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you--Business English 101.

1. Well, you've really got to hit the _____GROUND FALLING________________  (to start working hard immediately). There's no time to waste!

2. Moving ______FOURSOME_______________, (in the future) you'll be in charge of this project.

3. Mary, I don't feel like we're on the _____SAME WAVE________________ here.

4. Let's _______INTERMINGLE______________ (talk) tomorrow.

5. I'll take that _______OFF-SCALE______________  (We'll talk about that after the meeting.)

6. I'm super busy right now, I'll _________TOUCH FACE____________ with you tomorrow.

7. I don't have the ________BAND-AID_____________ (time) to take this on right now.

8. My plate is ________ROUND_____________  (I'm really busy)

9. Let's ________RIDE THE NUMBERS_____________ (analyze financial data) and see how they look.

10. We've got to think _______OUT OF THE BOXES______________ (We have to come up with some innovative solutions/ideas).

Blythe

*bursts into laughter*

I think "touch face" has to be my favorite out of these.

Oreo

Quote from: Blythe on May 22, 2014, 09:41:32 PM
*bursts into laughter*

+1

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Madame Professor

Quote from: Blythe on May 22, 2014, 09:41:32 PM
*bursts into laughter*

Agreed! Touch Face is definitely my favorite!
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Cassandra LeMay

Oh this is hilarious.  XD

Thanks so much for sharing this, Remiel.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

BAMF

Oh man. This is best thread.

Touch face wins my vote as well.
»O/O’s«»Ideas«»A/A's«
Great things are done
by a series of small things
brought together.

»Vincent Van Gogh«

Caeli

At first I was reading through these and thinking... "I know that sounds wrong..."

And then I realized they were mistakes.

... the thought process is absolutely hilarious. ;)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Peripherie

I didn't know you could draw Rem!

*giggles and giggles* This thread is ... brilliant!
"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore

Suspires

A+++ best link I ever inflicted on somebody trying to make them cringe.  Would harm again.

I should add, I don't even think the site is a bad idea--for ESL students I can only imagine that a lot of these idioms are frustrating.  But the malapropisms are solid gold.  Touch Face is good, but for most giggle-inducing answer+picture, I have to go with Moving Foursome.

Aleph

Hats off Remiel, that's magnificent :)

My favourite from my office was a flustered managers reading out a file name, grasping for the word 'underscore' and saying 'lowercase dash' instead.