Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO

Started by HairyHeretic, June 02, 2009, 01:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

New trailer. Looks very sweet.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/deceived-cinematic-trailer?sourceid=ea3719

Ok, so this won't be the gameplay, but I can see myself being tempted with a red lightsaber next year or so  :D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

rafufu

I spent a couple of years playing Star Wars: Galaxies, before they changed it completely and made it crap. If this is half as good as Galaxies used to be, then I will definitely be playing it.

Lithos

If they finally understand to keep jedis and sith npc:s only it might actually be quite enjoyable
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

HairyHeretic

I doubt that'll be the case. Given its set during the time of the Great Sith War, I expect to see lots of Jedi and Sith running around the place.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Fertile Myrtle

Canceled my WoW subscription the other day. Told myself I was done with MMO's, but the jizz in my pants after watching this trailer insists otherwise...

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
(My O/O's - Last Updated - Dec 10th 2010)
Absences & Apologies
(Last Updated - August 8th)

Lithos

Well, it will be just another wow with light sabers if the force gets involved :p
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

HairyHeretic

Maybe. I suppose it depends how much PvP is going to be an integral component of it.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

rafufu

I hope they bring back all the old classes, such as Bounty Hunters, Commandos, Medics, Creature Trainers, Spies etc

I think dedicated pvp servers, which have level range pvp (similar to Everquest 2) would work well.

consortium11

Trailer looks awesome... although God knows what it does to (what's left) of Star Wars canon.

From what I've heard of the game itself... not that impressed really...

Seems pretty standard mmorpg really... although I've only heard of 3 classes so far (surely there's got to be more eventually though...): Smuggler (Think Solo or Lando depending on how you play them), Jedi (Think uber badass Gary Stu of the Darkside) and Trooper (think... em... yeah...). Which would seemingly make balancing hard, but I'm sure they'll pull it off gameway wise. Seems they're implementing a cover system (at least for smugglers) so that's an improvement on most mmo gameplay.

I've never been a big fan of mmorpgs since the early early days of EVE Online and I was a bit disappointed when I saw it was a mmorpg as opposed to being the game Force Unleashed could/should have been. I'll see what reviews say, but I'm not incredibly hopeful.

Fertile Myrtle

I'm also afraid it's going to be just another standard MMO (only with jedi's and super sexy graphics). But, I know me. I'm going to buy it anyway, jizz in my pants for a couple of months, and then quit.

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies

HairyHeretic

Sith side has the Bounty Hunter as a class as well.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Fertile Myrtle

There are also troopers, which is probably more of a warrior equivalent class.

edit: Do you think bounty hunters can be neutral in this game? I feel like many of them would be more loyal to money than a cause.

Fertile Myrtle & YOU!
Absences & Apologies

Hunter

Brandon

It looks good, but then it always looks good.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Drake Nightwing

I know I'm looking forward to it myself...but then again I'm not exactly sure if I'm actually going to GET it. I've never been one for MMOs and I don't fancy myself paying a subscription for a game I'm likely not going to be playing for very often...

Florence

Quote from: Lithos on June 02, 2009, 01:50:21 PM
If they finally understand to keep jedis and sith npc:s only it might actually be quite enjoyable

Erm... that's entirely unneeded for this time period. It was ridiculous in Galaxies because that was a time period where only a handful of Jedi and Sith existed in the whole galaxy, but this takes place during the Old Republic, when both Jedi and Sith were still plentiful.

On the topic of the game, I doubt I'll make a Jedi, at least at first, at first I want to make a Sith and some non-force class. Either a trooper or a bounty hunter, likely.

Personally, I wish they would have just made Knights of the Old Republic 3 like everyone wanted, but I guess I'm warming up to this game a little. I'll probably play it, even though I would have greatly preferred a single-player game with no bloody subscription free. I'm both very interested and wary of how they intend to implement companion characters into an MMO setting. It'll be rather ridiculous to see a dozen guys running into battle with you, with a dozen duplicates of the same companions.

On the other hand, without companions, I have very little interest in this, because then it's no longer "KotOR, but an MMO" and just "another damn Star Wars MMO"
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.