GM Lounge - Bartenders Answer All Your Questions

Started by HockeyGod, January 02, 2012, 03:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

I started playing when Revised came out... stopped playing when Weatherlight was still the newest expansion.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

HockeyGod

Wow...I just looked up the various expansion sets and there have been a ton!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magic:_The_Gathering_sets

It seems I stopped playing at Mirage.

AndyZ

I played between 4th and 7th edition but gave it up when they started having four sets a year. It was just way too much money to keep up.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Thufir Hawat

I've played some M:tG as well. I still do, in fact, but I don't purchase new cards, it's just something I do with some acquintances.

I've been RPing off-line quite a bit lately, which is a major reason why I've been quiet on E. most of this time :P!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

HairyHeretic

I played one game of Magic against a friend, he was trying to get me into it, but that was it. It never gripped me.

I did play the L5R CCG for a few years, but gave up on it due to the constant need to buy new cards (plus my wife *ahem* borrowing my better Scorpions to add to her Crane deck). It wasn't bad, but I prefer RPGing or Wargaming over CCGs.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

HairyHeretic

You ever get the feeling you're just not meant to play a particular game? I love 40k (Warhammer 40,000 for those not overly familiar with it). I own Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch and Black Crusade, and assorted supplements for each. Can I ever play it though?

I've gotten to play twice. Both times at conventions. One Dark Heresy game, one Rogue Trader. My old group weren't interested in it, and since I've moved I no longer have a gaming group.

Play online, I hear you say. Yep, tried that. Games fold. Doesn't matter what system, what site, whether I'm GMing or playing, the games fold within a handfull of posts.

Anyone else have this happen to them?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Happens to me a lot also

I have the RT book as well as some DW interest. If someone else runs, I'll play
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 15, 2013, 09:02:08 AM
You ever get the feeling you're just not meant to play a particular game? I love 40k (Warhammer 40,000 for those not overly familiar with it). I own Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch and Black Crusade, and assorted supplements for each. Can I ever play it though?

I've gotten to play twice. Both times at conventions. One Dark Heresy game, one Rogue Trader. My old group weren't interested in it, and since I've moved I no longer have a gaming group.

Play online, I hear you say. Yep, tried that. Games fold. Doesn't matter what system, what site, whether I'm GMing or playing, the games fold within a handfull of posts.

That describes pretty much every game I ever get to play, regardless of system.

LunarSage

I hear ya Hairy. 

I own a bunch of Pathfinder books.  I love love LOVE the game, but no one in this area wants to play it.  Everyone just played D&D 4th ed, which I play even though it's nowhere close to being my favorite game simply because without it I'd have next to no gaming at all.

AndyZ

Could also be possible to set up a weekly Skype and Maptools group...

LunarSage

HairyHeretic

I've run L5R in the past using our Mumble server, and that went reasonably smoothly. Part of my problem is my shifts change every couple of weeks, so a regular gaming group that could accomidate that would be hard to find.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

HockeyGod

Quote from: HairyHeretic on April 15, 2013, 10:20:27 AM
I've run L5R in the past using our Mumble server, and that went reasonably smoothly. Part of my problem is my shifts change every couple of weeks, so a regular gaming group that could accomidate that would be hard to find.

Hairy...haven't seen you around in a while. Good to see you.

I don't think I ever touched base with you about my trip to Ireland. Beautiful country. I stayed in Dublin for a week and traveled out to Cliffs of Moher, Monasterboice...you know the tourist traps ;)

LunarSage

I go to Dublin all the time.  Every Monday at least.  ;D

HairyHeretic

I used to be in Dublin, but I moved a while back. Still, Ireland is that small pretty much everywhere is still within a few hours travel :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Zillah

Yes. I've tried - in vain - to find people interested in playing either "Call of Cthulhu" or "A Song of Ice and Fire", two RPGs I adore, and would love to try and play.

For the life of me, I can't find other interested players. :P

AndyZ

Quote from: LunarSage on April 15, 2013, 10:16:52 AM
I'm not familiar with Maptools.

http://www.rptools.net/

It's a fantastic program for maps and macros.  I consider it invaluable for games with heavy map usage like D&D.

Zillah, next time you try to start a CoC game, please let me know.

Hellis

Sometimes... I fear I overdo the setting info.

Thufir Hawat

Seems like I'm the only one here that hasn't felt that way. Well, at least I haven't felt that way since I left my first group behind, they were very much a one-system gamers. Well, that wasn't the only reason I left, but it did help my decision >:).
The only games I suspect my current groups wouldn't like trying are few and far between, mostly the dating-focused indie ones. And I know another local group who might like to try them, if I wanted to play.
It's just that I'd rather play some other game myself, say, Tenra Bansho Zero.
So, I don't get to play only games I'm not really interested into. Of course, this might have something to do with being the usual GM for one of the groups, and the leader in introducing new systems. So, while we're having a democratic process of choosing the next game, I have quite a bit of influence on it.
My players have fun with the games we play, and like trying new games, so it's a mutually beneficial situation.

Quote from: Hellis on April 15, 2013, 05:25:05 PM
Sometimes... I fear I overdo the setting info.
That depends on the group, and on whether the setting is your homebrew one or something people might get to play in the future as well. Personally, I find it hard to overdo the setting info, and some players won't read it anyway ;D!
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Hellis

It is entirely a homebrew, so I had to go out of my way to explain things.

Zillah

Well, I floated up an interest check for the "A Song of Ice and Fire" RPG.

We'll see how that goes, I guess ... ::)

AndyZ

If I knew the books and system, I'd look into your game, Zillah.  Good luck with it, though.

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Hellis on April 16, 2013, 02:56:22 AM
It is entirely a homebrew, so I had to go out of my way to explain things.
Well, then it might be a problem, I guess. People are least likely to want to read the setting info for an unpublished homebrew, for obvious reasons.
I'd say it's still not possible to overdo the setting info, but at least early in the game, you shouldn't rely on the players having read it.
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs

A&A thread!

Moraline

General question to look for some insight.

What sorts of things do you guys see that works for Super Power progression or character progression in a free-form game?

Any tips for running super hero games? (I'm considering free-form with fast pacing)

I'm considering turning my World Building thread Rock City 2015 (Mutant Super Heroes in the Future)(click to view) into a group RP game.
See here for World Building discussion threadRock City 2015 (Open - Discussion, comment, question, contribute?)

Roxy Rocket

What keeps a group game going?

Dedication? Communication? A group of people that have shown they never flake, ditch or procrastinate on their posts?

Does everyone really need to have the same sense of style, flash and writing competency?

Is it about raw enthusiasm over the idea?

Is it about having a social exchange beyond the game?

Is it about having the right, high class resources and tools and format?

Yeah, it's wonky but I'm lookin fer thoughts.  Gimme gimme gimme dem thoughts.