Looking to Start an Apocalypse World Game

Started by Queluna, May 12, 2013, 12:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queluna

Apocalypse World is a pen and paper roleplaying game, similar to dungeons and dragons, though with much fewer rules and therefore a much more cinematic and story-driven rather than mechanically-driven plotline.  There are no status quos in Apocalypse World, everything is constantly changing for better or worse, and usually its for the worse.  Gangs rise and fall, settlements form and fall apart, warlords carve out their own territory after a bloody struggle only to have another more powerful warlord come in and reap the benefits of all their work.

Somewhere in there, you the players exist.  Whether you're a chopper or driver riding about from place to place, robbing travelers and stealing from settlements, or whether you're a hardholder trying to keep what little order you have established, you get to decide how you want to make your way in this post-apocalyptic wasteland.

I am looking for only two or three players tops.  I'd like for people to understand that this isn't necessarily a first come first serve basis, I will be selecting persons based on how active they can be, how interesting of a character concept they have, and hopefully if timezones match.

This will be taking place on the Light: Human Small Groups board.

I would like for the roleplay in the thread to be moving at a fairly constant place, hopefully with posts coming in at least every other day.  Though erotic events might occur, they will for the most part be either summarized within a few posts from each participating party, or perhaps go to make a spin-off thread of their own whilst the story continues on the main thread.

If you are interested in playing, let me know the top two or tree classes that appeal to you.  Also let me know what your timezone is, how often you think you'd be able to post, and what sort of setting (why/when/how did the apocalypse happen?) that you'd like to see.

You can look through the following link for a list of playbooks, along with the abilities and statistics that each of these playbooks gets.  Don't worry too much about the mechanics of these classes, look moreso for what you think you'd have more fun playing as, as opposed to what you think would be most efficient.

http://apocalypse-world.com/ApocalypseWorld-playbooks.pdf

Hope to hear from you guys soon!

meikle

Pick meeee!

I am interested in playing a gunlugger, a brainer, or a hardholder, in that order.  I have an idea bouncing around for Gunlugger with the Cool-1 Hard+2 Hot-2 Sharp+1 Weird+2 layout.  Just a real nuts chick with way too many guns.  I've got a picture in my mind of like really bulky armor decorated with reflector tape.

Brainer ideas are probably more subdued.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Lorelei

I love AW!  I am waiting to be re-verified and hopefully will be done soon.  Would love to play a Skinner or Battlebabe or Maestro'd or Operator. 

meikle

I don't have particulars to weigh in about setting stuff, but I thought this was interesting for inspiration for worlds that are noticeably foreign from ours (perhaps because of an apocalypse or some other anomaly): http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/nasa-predicts-colour-alien-plants/

O and O and Discord
A and A

Queluna

Lorelei, I see that you are verified now!  Still interested in playing by chance?  If so, do you have any preference between the playbooks?  I'm not sure what Maestro'd is, I'm guessing that's part of some expansion thing, but for this I'll probably ask people to use only core/basic playbooks.

In any case, none of the playbooks you seem to be interested in appear to be conflicting with Meikle's own choices, so perhaps if one or the other is more appealing, you can try to figure that out.  Or perhaps you'd like to chat with Meikle a bit to figure if you two could pick an interesting pair that might shape the sort of campaign we wind up going with.

Lorelei

I think I'll take the Skinner.  That would be quite the contrast with the Gunlugger.

Queluna

Okay, sounds good :D  If it's not too much trouble to ask, do you mind writing up a character sheet for her?  I suppose I should have asked that in the first post, a character sheet to give me an idea of the character and whatnot would probably be an excellent way to help me figure out who to pull into the party :)  It might also give others some ideas as well!

In any case, just don't fill out the HX part yet until the others get written up as well.  Perhaps Meikle can do the same!

meikle

Here is probably what my Gunlugger will look like (the Gunlugger name list leaves a lot to be desired):

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name: Keeler
Look: Woman, battered old armor, worn face, sad eyes, hard body

Cool: -1 do something under fire
Hard:+2 go aggro, seize something by force
Hot: -2 seduce or manipulate
Sharp: +1 read a sitch, read a person

Weird: +2 open your brain

Hx help, interfere, session end
  Character A +X
  Character B +X
  Character C +X

Gear & Barter
assault rifle (3-harm close loud autofire)
magnum (3-harm close reload loud)
shotgun (3-harm close messy)
grenades (4-harm hand area reload messy)

armor worth 2-armor (think scratched-together riot gear)

oddments worth 1-barter

Moves
Battle-Hardened: when you act under fire, roll+hard instead of roll+cool.
Fuck this shit: name your escape route and roll+hard.  On a 10+, sweet, you're gone.  On a 7-9, you can go or stay, but if you go it costs you: leave something behind, or take something with, you the MC will tell you what.
NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH: in battle, you count as a gang (3-harm gang small), with armor according to the circumstances.

so let's get some more people in here for Keeler to stand in front of when bad guys open fire hooray

O and O and Discord
A and A

Rook Seidhr

Hi! AW is one of my very favorite games, and I'd love to try it here. I'm interested in the Savvyhead, Hocus or Angel. I'm in US Eastern timezone, I can post more than once a day, and I'm sort of interested in an apocalypse where things got overtaken by Nature, full of poisonous plants and dangerous animals, rather than the usual bleak desert-like expanse.

Character sheet for a savvyhead:

Name: Westinghouse
Look: man; utility wear plus tech (ancient military fatigues and web gear with oddments a-dangle); open face; appraising eyes; wiry body
Stats: Cool-1, Hard=0, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird+2
Moves: bonefeel, spooky intense
Gear: 3-barter, 9mm pistol (2-harm close loud), heavy jacket with ballistic cloth lining (1-armor)
Workspace: controlled growing environment, weird-ass electronica, transmitters and receivers

Lorelei

The Skinner

Name: Venus
Look: Woman, luxe wear, beautiful face, arresting eyes, quick hands, toned body
Stats: Cool +1, Hard +1, Hot +2, Sharp +1, Weird -2
Moves:  An Arresting Skinner, Artful & Gracious
Gear: hidden knives (2 harm hidden infinite), Skin & hair kit, Long gorgeous coat, oddments worth 1 barter

Queluna

Quote from: Riveda on May 15, 2013, 06:34:51 PM
Hi! AW is one of my very favorite games, and I'd love to try it here. I'm interested in the Savvyhead, Hocus or Angel. I'm in US Eastern timezone, I can post more than once a day, and I'm sort of interested in an apocalypse where things got overtaken by Nature, full of poisonous plants and dangerous animals, rather than the usual bleak desert-like expanse.

Character sheet for a savvyhead:

Name: Westinghouse
Look: man; utility wear plus tech (ancient military fatigues and web gear with oddments a-dangle); open face; appraising eyes; wiry body
Stats: Cool-1, Hard=0, Hot+1, Sharp+1, Weird+2
Moves: bonefeel, spooky intense
Gear: 3-barter, 9mm pistol (2-harm close loud), heavy jacket with ballistic cloth lining (1-armor)
Workspace: controlled growing environment, weird-ass electronica, transmitters and receivers

I'm really curious about your workspace.   Controlled growing environment... does he grow plants or food of some sort?  Does the weird-ass electronica play any part in controlling this growth, or perhaps in transmitting and receiving things?  How are all of these going to work together to provide an interesting workspace?

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Queluna on May 16, 2013, 04:55:50 PM
I'm really curious about your workspace.   Controlled growing environment... does he grow plants or food of some sort?  Does the weird-ass electronica play any part in controlling this growth, or perhaps in transmitting and receiving things?  How are all of these going to work together to provide an interesting workspace?
The controlled growing environment is predicated on the lush, toxic apocalyptic world I mentioned; if it were a barren place, he'd have something different. He's experimenting with breeding plants that interface with electronics. It'll also come in handy for growing medicines once he gets the life support advancement, but that's down the road.

He has a dozen projects at any time, but among his current lines of research are bionic limbs made from plant material, and transmitters that will control wild animals that have been surgically implanted with slave chips. More prosaically, he repairs the hardhold's precious few walkie-talkies, allowing the patrols to stay in touch when they can't see each other, which is nearly always.

meikle

Here is an idea I batted off toward Queluna, in the terrible short-form I originally wrote it:

overgrown plant apocalypse in the remains of what used to be a dedicated prison moon
hardholds built in the remains of prison-complexes that span miles, jungles full of black-leaved trees and hellish alien monsters between

I mean, if we're distancing ourselves from the classic apocalypse, why not distance ourselves from the site of the classic apocalypse, too?  Maybe a few hundred thousand astral units away.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Lorelei

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: meikle on May 16, 2013, 11:25:45 PM
I mean, if we're distancing ourselves from the classic apocalypse, why not distance ourselves from the site of the classic apocalypse, too?  Maybe a few hundred thousand astral units away.
The only question I have about that is, how does a prison world jibe with the plenty-of-gasoline-and-bullets assumption?

meikle

Isn't it enough bullets and gasoline?  We don't have anyone who drives, so gasoline isn't a big issue.  Otherwise, it's the stuff that the people who provided the infrastructure to support a world-spanning prison-industrial complex relied on.  It's a life-bearing world, it's probably got its own fossil fuels too that might have been in production in the golden age.

Bullets, I mean, you cover a jungle-moon full of monsters with prisons, and then you stuff those prisons full of monsters, of course you send that world plenty of bullets, probably even put together some bullet-producing infrastructure, even if that infrastructure is lost since the end of the Golden Age, when supplies from the sky stopped arriving and the prisons broke open.

When I say it's a prison world, I mean, the idea I had in mind is that it was a prison world; they're not prisons anymore, or if they are, it's because the survivors of the apocalypse decided to start taking prisoners again, rather than suggesting that there's still an authority running the show here.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: meikle on May 16, 2013, 11:49:49 PM
We don't have anyone who drives, so gasoline isn't a big issue.
Eh, as long as I can shoot people and run my generator, I'm fine.

Frank Reshman

So...did I miss this?  :(   FUARK.  Ah well, let me know if anything goes catastrophically wrong with one of your other players!  This sounds right up my alley. 

All the best!

Queluna

Feel free to pitch a character idea, Frank :D

Queluna

Okay, so I want everybody to contribute to trying to create this world, the story and the characters to populate it.

Lorelei/Venus, what beauty is there to be appreciated on a planet that's out to kill you? How is it that you fit into this world?

Riveda/Westinghouse, which animals are you looking into controlling?  Do you expect to get a full remote function, or perhaps just be able to steer them toward/away from the camp when you desire?  Who's the one that goes out to gather specimens for you to experiment on?

Meikle/Keeler, how did you come to be at the hardhold that we've yet to develop?  Is she comfortable doing grunt work for others in the interest of the hardhold, or is she out for herself in some way, perhaps just passing through?

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Queluna on May 18, 2013, 12:14:37 PM
Riveda/Westinghouse, which animals are you looking into controlling?  Do you expect to get a full remote function, or perhaps just be able to steer them toward/away from the camp when you desire?  Who's the one that goes out to gather specimens for you to experiment on?
Razortongues, mostly, there're a lot of them in the swamps to the south of the hold. They look kind of like pigs with frog-faces (this is a purely OOC comparison if we're on an alien planet where neither pigs nor frogs are likely ever to have been imported) and they have the disposition of hippopotami: herbivores who attack without warning or reason. A field that would steer them away from the hold would make life a lot safer. Chipping a couple of them for absolute control and using them as guard dogs would make life a lot safer.

Ragazzi does some of my sample collecting. She's fast and crazy brave and I just know she's gonna grow up to be a battlebabe. Maybe Keeler does some work for me too?

Lorelei

Quote from: Queluna on May 18, 2013, 12:14:37 PM
Lorelei/Venus, what beauty is there to be appreciated on a planet that's out to kill you? How is it that you fit into this world?

1.  Darwin's Rose (named by original colonists many generations ago) is a flower of surpassing beauty, whose nectar can be distilled into a potent narcotic and aphrodisiac.  The thorns of the plant, however, are deadly poison.

2.  Addicts of the rose abound and seek all manner of pleasures.  Who better to fulfill them than I? 

meikle

Quote from: Riveda on May 18, 2013, 01:27:08 PMMaybe Keeler does some work for me too?

Keeler is pretty good at killing things, and she's pretty good at standing in the line of fire without breaking too much of a sweat, but she wouldn't probably take home many rewards for precision work.  So like, if you're okay with getting your samples back full of bullets, she might be able to work something out.  If you're more like, I need these things captured alive or killed clean, you might get a sample filled with bullets anyway and a live grenade if you don't pay for it, so probably better not to hire her for that kind of work in the first place.

If this hold's been populated long enough, then Keeler's a native, born and raised.  If it's not that old, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, then she came by as a hired gun riding with a caravan of ATVs and big off-road vehicles, and found better work here (or at least, more exciting.)   Keeler's out to do good by herself, but sometimes the best way to manage that is blowing off some poor motherfucker's head for a little bit of jingle.  In that sense, she's pretty mercenary; she's got her own concerns, and she tends to throw in with whoever can best support her fulfilling those.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Winterborn

Ugh, why? Why do I always come late to these things? Especially now that I can actually see how the game works!

meikle, you should be feeding my addiction, seeing as how you're the one who got me hooked!

meikle

Quote from: Winterborn on May 19, 2013, 11:20:31 AM
Ugh, why? Why do I always come late to these things? Especially now that I can actually see how the game works!

meikle, you should be feeding my addiction, seeing as how you're the one who got me hooked!

there's still room

O and O and Discord
A and A