What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

I guess I always figured "why look something up that I can't have?"...  ;)

Is it military/guns based?  If so it may not be my kinda game.  I hated RE5's controls and I'm told that a lot of modern games are a lot like it.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Bayushi

Quote from: LunarSage on March 10, 2012, 08:10:43 AMI guess I always figured "why look something up that I can't have?"...  ;)

Is it military/guns based?  If so it may not be my kinda game.  I hated RE5's controls and I'm told that a lot of modern games are a lot like it.
It is gun based, though you can choose a character class that uses 'biotics' (think Psionics) or even melee hybrids.

Also, there is a Mode present to ease you through the game mechanically so you can play for the story.

Inkidu

Quote from: LunarSage on March 10, 2012, 08:10:43 AM
I guess I always figured "why look something up that I can't have?"...  ;)

Er... yes and no. You shoot like RE4/5. However, you can move while shooting, cover is actually useful, and you can pause the game to aim things like powers or swap weapons.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

What? Lunar has never played Mass Effect?

.......*faints*

Also, is it me, or is the Multiplayer in Mass Effect 3..fun? @_@

Hemingway

I've now finished ME3, and aside from what I've already said, I'm only going to say one thing. It's about the endings, so ... might want to cover your eyes and ears.

Mass Effect 3 ending
Mass Effect 3's ending is, I find, highly reminiscent of DXHR's ending. In short, they're all totally and utterly unsatisfying. I really don't know what else to say. It's not enough to change my mind about the games up to that point, but ... It's not just that none of them are truly happy endings, it's more than that, something I can't quite describe. I don't need a happy ending to cheer me up. I guess one thing is that they're all, with the exception of the middle one, totally predictable. Unfortunately, the middle one isn't some middle-of-the-road ending where you get a bit of each. If anything, it's probably worse than the Renegade ending in terms of the consequences it'll have for galactic civilizations. It's not totally heartless, but, damn, think of the consequences.

That only leaves the Paragon ending, which is just the most predictable and typical ending I can think of.

All I can say is I wish they'd put more thought into it.

Also, how abrupt are they, anyway? You fight, you almost die, you get to the Citadel, you choose and ending, roll credits. Then you get a little epilogue, which ... doesn't really do anything.

*Sigh.*

I guess I'll be holding out hope for DLC with more endings. It's not unheard of, and maybe I'll drop my opinion on the official forums for good measure.

Edit: I'm apparently far, far from the only one who thinks this way. I'm going to have a little faith in BioWare and say ... here's hoping.

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on March 10, 2012, 02:04:33 PM
I've now finished ME3, and aside from what I've already said, I'm only going to say one thing. It's about the endings, so ... might want to cover your eyes and ears.

Mass Effect 3 ending
Mass Effect 3's ending is, I find, highly reminiscent of DXHR's ending. In short, they're all totally and utterly unsatisfying. I really don't know what else to say. It's not enough to change my mind about the games up to that point, but ... It's not just that none of them are truly happy endings, it's more than that, something I can't quite describe. I don't need a happy ending to cheer me up. I guess one thing is that they're all, with the exception of the middle one, totally predictable. Unfortunately, the middle one isn't some middle-of-the-road ending where you get a bit of each. If anything, it's probably worse than the Renegade ending in terms of the consequences it'll have for galactic civilizations. It's not totally heartless, but, damn, think of the consequences.

That only leaves the Paragon ending, which is just the most predictable and typical ending I can think of.

All I can say is I wish they'd put more thought into it.

Also, how abrupt are they, anyway? You fight, you almost die, you get to the Citadel, you choose and ending, roll credits. Then you get a little epilogue, which ... doesn't really do anything.

*Sigh.*

I guess I'll be holding out hope for DLC with more endings. It's not unheard of, and maybe I'll drop my opinion on the official forums for good measure.

Edit: I'm apparently far, far from the only one who thinks this way. I'm going to have a little faith in BioWare and say ... here's hoping.
You too? Generally I think they're aiming too big, too metaphysically.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
I would have been happy with Shepard kills reapers civilization goes on cycle broken. You know why? Because that was the ending that was implied through the whole series. Plus it kind of makes all of Shep's actions moot. Bioware should have aimed at a much lower mark with this. What about the guy who doesn't want to reshape all of known existence. Poor form Bioware, poor form. I figured out that in three of the four possible outcomes. Two of those being an ending, one ending not leading to this metaphysical bullshit, and Shep still dying. That that little putrid fuck Catalyst gets what he wants anyway. Well maybe not PUT THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE BACK INTO THE STONE AGE.

I'm not saying it's a bad ending, but it's too insubstantial to be fulfilling. Always give a low-ball option folks.

EDIT: Apparently there's a special ending for over 5K preparedness, but I'm sure I had that. So if that's the special ending I call for retcon.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on March 11, 2012, 12:31:13 AM
You too? Generally I think they're aiming too big, too metaphysically.

I would have been happy with Shepard kills reapers civilization goes on cycle broken. You know why? Because that was the ending that was implied through the whole series. Plus it kind of makes all of Shep's actions moot. Bioware should have aimed at a much lower mark with this. What about the guy who doesn't want to reshape all of known existence. Poor form Bioware, poor form. I figured out that in three of the four possible outcomes. Two of those being an ending, one ending not leading to this metaphysical bullshit, and Shep still dying. That that little putrid fuck Catalyst gets what he wants anyway. Well maybe not PUT THE WHOLE FUCKING UNIVERSE BACK INTO THE STONE AGE.

I'm not saying it's a bad ending, but it's too insubstantial to be fulfilling. Always give a low-ball option folks.

EDIT: Apparently there's a special ending for over 5K preparedness, but I'm sure I had that. So if that's the special ending I call for retcon.

I've already put a ton of energy into this on the forums, and ... I'm actually optimistic. I'll spoiler this next bit so people who haven't finished ME3 don't have to worry about getting hints of what might happen.

ME3 ENDING SPOILERS
I think the endings basically made no sense. Paragon ending, that one makes some sort of half-assed sense, except ... if you can control the Reapers, the first thing to do is send them into a nearby sun, I say. Synthesis ending is just ... it makes no goddamn sense. Why does he need to leap into the beam? Wouldn't a bit of blood suffice to get his DNA in there? How does the change occur? The Renegade ending makes almost as little sense. Why does the destruction of the Reapers cause the destruction of all synthetic life? Where is the line drawn between synthetic and organic life and un-life?

The destruction of the relays is a different matter entirely. It would cause billions or trillions of deaths, and potentially set technology back to the point where no civilization ever becomes capable of traveling across vast stretches of space ever again, destroying themselves before they reach that point.

Finally, there are those who argue that the endings are just an example of making the ultimate sacrifice, and that this somehow makes it a mature ending. Why, they ask, expect a happy ending? Well, any ending, if you ask me, if at best bittersweet. I'm actually somewhat insulted by the implications of this. It's like they think the only thing that can make me feel is by killing the main character. As if I don't have the empathy needed to feel awed, hopeful and saddened at the same time by the thought of Shepard and the rest of the crew looking out, as it were, at a galaxy torn apart by war, facing an uncertain future, and the thought of those who didn't make it that far.

Frankly, just passing the memorial wall aboard the Normandy stirred more feelings in me than the ending. I'd get a little torn up every time a new name appeared there. The ending did no such thing.

LunarSage

Akiko and Indiku:  Thank you for the info.  :-)

You too, Hemingway.  ;D

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

DarkWorld0BrightHope

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the first time. A rather impressive little game, albeit kinda silly at times. It would've been nice if each episode didn't open with a major spoiler toward whodunit, but over all I enjoy the DS port of the first game in the series.

Note to Self: Do not buy Mass Effect 3. The gameplay is fun, but the ending is ultimately a cop-out.
Looking for writing prompts, 500-1000 words. Will do one a day.

Hemingway

In my total disillusionment, I'm turning to Skyrim. I don't know. I just want to download some mods and be a master thief. I'm going to try playing a completely non-violent character, avoiding all but the absolutely essential kills.

Wolfy

Quote from: DarkWorld0BrightHope on March 11, 2012, 01:40:25 PM
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the first time. A rather impressive little game, albeit kinda silly at times. It would've been nice if each episode didn't open with a major spoiler toward whodunit, but over all I enjoy the DS port of the first game in the series.

Note to Self: Do not buy Mass Effect 3. The gameplay is fun, but the ending is ultimately a cop-out.

Are you sure?

Because apparently there's a secret ending. @_@

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on March 11, 2012, 02:27:33 PM
Are you sure?

There isn't. Trust me on this.

Bayushi

Quote from: Wolfy on March 11, 2012, 02:27:33 PMAre you sure?

Probably the Perfect Ending.

Which will be a cast-iron bitch to manage.

Inkidu

Quote from: Akiko on March 11, 2012, 03:10:00 PM
Probably the Perfect Ending.

Which will be a cast-iron bitch to manage.
Not unless you've got a God-be-damned internet connection. People who play and win a lot of multiplayer can cut the requirements for the perfect ending in half. Why? Fuck if I know. That's what I'm really bitter about. I've seen worse endings. Bad writing happens, favoritism in a game for those with high-speed internet shouldn't happen.

DarkWorld0BrightHope

Particularly for a series that has only just recently picked up on the multiplayer component after two prior games without. It started single-player friendly it should have ended just as single-player friendly.

While I wasn't likely to get ME3 to begin with, for monetary reasons, this sort've sealed the coffin. I really enjoyed the Mass Effect speculation over the years, though ultimately I feel disappointed. I like hype, but... wow.
Looking for writing prompts, 500-1000 words. Will do one a day.

Sabby

Finally got Mass Effect 3, I go to import saves... and thus begins a day long ordeal of screaming at my computer and sifting down into the bowels of the Bioware and EA forums. Wtf guys? Seriously -.- I eventually managed to get it to accept the saves, but only after recreating a Mass Effect 2 folder in Documents manually and arranging it so it would be recognized, which involved very specific naming of the files.

About to start it up now. If it crashes or something...

Inkidu

Quote from: DarkWorld0BrightHope on March 11, 2012, 11:44:04 PM
Particularly for a series that has only just recently picked up on the multiplayer component after two prior games without. It started single-player friendly it should have ended just as single-player friendly.

While I wasn't likely to get ME3 to begin with, for monetary reasons, this sort've sealed the coffin. I really enjoyed the Mass Effect speculation over the years, though ultimately I feel disappointed. I like hype, but... wow.
It's not impossible to achieve the good endings in single player. It's just harder. Ultimately, it's a good game and worth getting... just probably not sixty bucks worth. I'd wait for a price drop and get it at 40 or half.

Annashi

Finished Mass effect 3 and like Nikisha said in another thread…

Worst ending ever, it's so unfinished and makes literally no sense. The last 15 minutes ruin the entire franchise.

Hemingway

I'm currently playing the BioWare forums.

I encourage anyone who finished ME3 to do the same.

Annashi

Hemingway

It's not fun, it's a war! We fight or we die!

Annashi

Hemingway

Sabby

The hell did they do to the Protheans? xD

They got retconned to look like shrunken Collectors. I know that makes sense now, but... did they have to sound like Zulu warriors? xD

This has always been my fear for Mass Effect. I'm adoring it, really, and it's actually surprising me with how well it's handling the whole invasion plot arc, which I was always worried about. But taking away the mystery and the unknown element of something that was built upon and relies on that secrecy kind of destroys it in my eyes.

I've seen the Prothean's end, I've talked to one, I've heard his account, digested his emotions on it

I can compare this to going out for coffee with the last Atlantean, who has 6 arms, a flat face, and waddles on a rounded bottom half, having a long, detailed discussion about how Atlantis was just a port town which went under from a tidal wave. A good story, bro, but the specifics of your culture and your unique biology could never stack up to the story behind your peoples loss. I'm sure there's a perfectly good reason Evolution granted you one ass like appendage for travelling, but I didn't want to know that Atlanteans travel on their asses, thank you.

Hemingway

Damn few. And they're all dead!

I was hoping you'd know that one.

( You'll understand ... )

Prothean explanation
It's hinted, I think by the Prothean character, that Ilos wasn't built by Protheans. In other words, the Illithid look is an older civilization still.