News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Any good MMORPG besides WoW?

Started by Bloody Rose, November 09, 2011, 09:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinXAzgard21

Yeah no pay to win shit otherwise I'd not be playing.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Sel Nar

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 13, 2012, 07:52:41 PM
Pay once, no monthly fee. You can pay money for things, but they'll just be cosmetic.

To be more specific; pay for it in stores, and that's it. The in-game cash shop is similar to EvE online's PLEX system, where you can convert RL cash or ingame cash into what the in-game chast shop uses (in GW2's case, gemstones), so, if you're so inclined, you don't have to spend one red cent over the minimum requirement of 'Game and internet connection'.

Kailen

Really can't recommend GW2 enough, it's a great game. I'm an ex-WoW addict and after just a few weeks of play I'm already getting something from GW2 that WoW never quite had. :)

Slywyn

I'm loving the hell out of it. Yeah it has some problems(What game doesn't?) but it's awesome otherwise.

And the problems are so minor that it's hard to really place them up against the game itself in any meaningful way.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Shjade

To be fair, while I enjoy GW2 more than not, I do find myself hitting a wall at about the level 40 mark where I'm just kinda aimless on what to do from there. WvWvW seems like the best option from a profit/progression standpont, but I really don't like PvP which makes that such an unattractive option. Bluh. x.x
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Slywyn

What I did to level was do your personal story. And any zone that your personal story takes you to, finish it. Like, 100%.

Though I would totally pitstop at Blazeridge Steppes, Sparkfly Fen, and Frostgorge Sound.

They have fun dragon fights. :3

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

SinXAzgard21

I am really taking my time with GW2.  Like I've not got over level 20 with any character. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

The Kinkster

I believe Guild Wars 2 is an excellent MMORPG, at least for me it is.

As someone who really doesn't play MMORPGs much and tends to switch between genres, I really like the no monthly subscription thing that they have. The combat is face paced, but still works for most people, it's not like you have no idea what's really going on at any given time in any battle. Although, I think TERA had a bit better system.

Now all that's left is for me to actually buy the game... :-\

Shjade

Quote from: Slywyn on September 17, 2012, 02:26:32 PM
What I did to level was do your personal story. And any zone that your personal story takes you to, finish it. Like, 100%.

Though I would totally pitstop at Blazeridge Steppes, Sparkfly Fen, and Frostgorge Sound.

They have fun dragon fights. :3

I'm level 41. My personal story's next quest is 47 and full of flame crabs that do an almost-unavoidable ranged AE fire attack that nukes hard. A LOT of them. Can't do it until I get up to at least 45 or so, I'd estimate. And I've done all the quest hubs in the highlands.

Time to move over to some other zone. Just kinda not feeling motivated to do it.
◕/◕'s

Slywyn

Try leveling your crafting. Find a zone that drops what mats you need for crafting, then go do that zone.

Shjade

Kinda boring. Think I might switch out of weaponsmithing for cook to make dyes though. I dunno.
◕/◕'s

Alkrdaam

In GW2, I've already hit lvl 80 (playing at my usual leisurely pace), and I played the beta for a while.

For your lvl 40 stump, I will actually suggest something a little unorthodox here. Level up by doing some of the lower level zones. They still give decent experience, they are truly fun zones (though you may have to look a bit to find one you really like), and the rewards are pretty good for a 100% map completion.

As someone else said, level up your crafting. I'm not kidding when I say that several of my levels have come from crafting - it goes faster if you do a lot of item discovery and have some friends who send materials your way.
"Let glow red the poison sun, and the flame to make me numb.
Let me hear the words which I have been dying to hear.
Burn my fingers one by one, guide me down into the sun.
Let me show you how I crave to make you come..."

The Exciter, by Poisonblack.

Posting will be sporadic at times - college does that.

Shjade

Yeah, my leatherworking's up to 69-ish and weaponsmithing's maybe mid-20's. I did go into the Asura starter zone for a bit, but I dunno, it was just feeling thin. Think I just needed a little break from grinding.
◕/◕'s

Dashenka

HELP! PANIC!

Guild Wars is down !!  :o :o :o

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Sel Nar

No it's not. Was just a 500-file patch and a server stability update. (Also GW1 had the Elemetnalist improved again, and it's talk like a pirate day)

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on September 19, 2012, 06:59:11 AM
No it's not. Was just a 500-file patch and a server stability update. (Also GW1 had the Elemetnalist improved again, and it's talk like a pirate day)

Oh? I guess I might as well boot up the launcher just to download the patch for later, then.
◕/◕'s

Kazyth

Ok.  So, City of Heroes/City of Villains is closing down forever as of November.  This makes me terribly sad in a way, as I've played that game on and off over the 8 years that it's been out and loved it, especially the community.  Now that my fave MMO is down the drain, and I have no intention of returning to WoW (in part at least because I can't remember any of my login stuff), as well as GW2 having been out for a while... I'm considering GW2, especially given that it's a Buy Once game with no recurring fee.  But before I do, I've read a lot of reviews, but I'd like to know what you folks who've played it think about it.  If you don't mind, that is.

Thanks for sharing whatever you have to share!
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Slywyn

I love it. Especially for the "Buy once play forever" thing.

Kazyth

Good to know!  If you don't mind elaborating, would you please share some of the things that you love about it?  I'm trying to get a feel for the game.
A rose by any other name... still has thorns you can prick someone with. - Me.

Slywyn

Quote from: Kazyth on October 05, 2012, 08:44:10 AM
Good to know!  If you don't mind elaborating, would you please share some of the things that you love about it?  I'm trying to get a feel for the game.

The Sylvari are amazing. I love everything about them, their characterization and design are super awesome, and their personality as a race is wonderful, as is their lore.

The combat is really fun and active, you can't stand around DPSing like in WoW, and the events and hearts and stuff are really fun.

It's basically an improvement over everything else for me.

Sel Nar

Okay; some bullet points for why GW2 is awesome.

- Everything you do gives you experience. Harvesting materials? Experience per whack of the axe, pick or sickle. Exploring? Experience for every area, Point of Interest, Waypoint, Vista, Skill point, etc. you find or otherwise complete. Clear a zone of 'things to do'? You get a Chestful of loot (3 items, 40 of <insert rare crafting material> and $$$ and 10% of the exp you need to hit nect level).

-Renown hearts and 'karma' merchants. You feel like a good guy for helping some down-on-his luck farmer clear his fields of wurms, and later you get a letter expressing his thanks, how his family hasn't eaten this well in months, and oh, here's some coin for all your trouble and help. Karma is the same thing; Instead of burning cash, you burn a little goodwill to get things from other people. Sometimes it might be something like a cool recipe (mmm, apple pie), or a crafting blueprint (mmm, giant sword made of bone and jagged edges), but you get the feeling of it being 'Hey, I did you a good turn, care to help me out' rather than 'Well, you did me good, but I'm charging you money for whatever you want'

-The ability to use /me emotes. If i say /me hugs his good friend <so-and-so> the game will declare in the chatlog '<My Character> hugs his good friend <Friend's character>'

- Each of the Five playable races all have unique architectural styles and attitudes; Humans, for example, have tall, thick walls and spires, with massive libraries, and districts that hearken back to the original nations in GW1; Divinity's Reach, the Human Capitol has each of its six districts architecturally-designed to be similar to Ascalon (Rurikton District), Kryta (Salma District), Elona (Ossan District), Cantha (Theatre District, sadly gobbled up in the Great Collapse) and so on, so each cultural representative of the race has something to remind them of ancestral homelands. You can also find a LOT of callbacks to Fan-favourite characters from GW1 in GW2's graveyards; for example, in Ebonhawke fortress, there's two graves side-by-side that any fan of GW1 would Cry at.

Nicholas Sandford
1035-1110
"Home at Last"

Professor Yakkington
1057-1110
"The most steadfast of companions
he followed Nicholas to the ends of Tyria
and Beyond"

-The cities FEEL Alive. I can spend over half an hour exploring Divinity's reach ~alone~ and not feel like I found all the nooks and crannies, plus it honestly feels like there's more people in Divinity's reach then there were in all the cities of Skyrim. Sure, most of them would only say 'hi there' if you talked with them, but that's more than most games, and especially most MMOs would do for you.

-Combat has a sense of ~weight~ to it. If you use a knockback attack on an enemy, they actually flail around as they try to avoid the knockback; a Centaur for example will be knocked onto his side, all four legs kicking futilely for a few moments until he pushes himself back up using his hands to get his feet back underneath himself. Larger enemies get knocked back less, and some enemies, such as Ettins, will still be on their feet after being knocked back, as the smallest ettin is around 4-6 feet taller than the largest Norn, and pretty much nothing but solid muscle.

-Combat forces you to learn to DODGE. Not in the 'press button, roll in <direction>' dodge, but in the 'Oh, enemy's charging a heavy hit, step back or move to the side' Sense.

This is a Very SMALL fraction of why I think GW2 is awesome.

Shjade

Quote from: Slywyn on October 05, 2012, 09:04:09 AM
The combat is really fun and active, you can't stand around DPSing like in WoW, and the events and hearts and stuff are really fun.
Quote from: Sel Nar on October 05, 2012, 12:48:31 PM
-Combat forces you to learn to DODGE. Not in the 'press button, roll in <direction>' dodge, but in the 'Oh, enemy's charging a heavy hit, step back or move to the side' Sense.

Ehh...I have to say, a lot of the time combat doesn't feel much different from most MMO combat, WoW in particular, to me, especially if you're a ranged class. Melee circle-strafing is a lot more effective than it would be in most MMOs (more like PvP-style combat than what you'd usually do in PvE, unless you were playing a rogue), but the differences are pretty minimal in terms of how much moving around you're doing. Dodging attacks that you can dodge without actually using "dodge" is just "don't stand in the fire" for basic attacks, and a lot of attacks you can't actually dodge without using "dodge," even if you can physically move out of the line of fire - the attack just tracks you if you move out of the way without "dodging" it, which I find pretty disappointing. The only attacks you can essentially just run around to avoid are either 1) aimed at someone else, 2) area of effect (don't stand in the fire), or 3) really telegraphed "you'd better not be standing there when I'm done winding up" moves, like the centaur charges. For just basic attacks, even though it's very possible to outmaneuver enemies all day long, you won't actually avoid most attacks unless you use the dodge mechanic. Because of that, I don't find GW2's combat much different from standard MMORPG fare; the differences are practically the gaming mechanic equivalent of semantics.

Other than that, though, Sel Nar brings up a lot of the highlights. The cities actually appearing to be cities with a population that has something to do other than stand around and either sell you things or give you quests and the fact that just about anything you do in the game gives you experience (with the exception of roleplaying, sadly D:) are probably my favorite bits.
◕/◕'s

Armand

Tamhansen

Bethesda has considered it in the past. Sofar they think it would diminish the feeling of being the epic hero Elder scrolls titles tend to revolve around.

Personally, I'm still kicking CCP/white wolf to finish that damned WOD MMO.
Every position to be held by players, no preset storyline, finally a true RPG.
Plus the trailer's graphics are awesome
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.