DnD 3.5 Group Roleplay (Closed to new players)

Started by Decrepitdan, June 20, 2010, 11:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ff

Quote from: Decrepitdan on June 24, 2010, 03:33:07 AM
Very nice, either way. :)

Thanks!

I enjoy creating characters and so can get indecisive if I think too much. Also, I'll apologize in advance if I seem to be overanalyzing char builds and game mechanics later,  I do that too...

Decrepitdan

You are more than fine. Once everyone has sent in a character concept, which im hoping will be soon - we will get down to business.

While we are waiting, those who haven't should do preliminary work on their actual character sheets, as i'm sure a lot of you already have. Please post any threads you have in the thread so someone may help you with them!

Kate

<superceeded>

ff

YUM.

Love her proclivities for leaving sexually and politically liberated villages in her wake. Delightful!

Hopefully our characters can have some amusing seesawing associated with Lawful / Chaotic themes. Maybe mine will start out 'awakened' or 'approving' in certain respects on her quest for self-awareness.  ::)

fallensaviour

ff

Quote from: fallensaviour on June 24, 2010, 11:18:31 AM
that almost sounds like cg kate

CG characters often do do anti-tyranny or robin hoodish stuff, and her bio would be consistent with CG, but it's certainly CN as well.

Basically, in my mind, good and evil aren't zero sum - you can go around being anti-evil even if you're not particularly good yourself - either you sometimes do bad things (like questionable uses of enchantment magic to seduce villagers of ambiguous- or non- consent), or just don't particularly care about goodness so much as tyranny just gets under your skin so much you hafta do something about it. And in some people's conception of alignment, being too vigilantly and 'doing too much' in pursuit of good or ant-evil is not itself good. Hysterically, I find many people in their writing portray other paladins the way some other people portray LE (i.e. fascists blindly obsessed with some one-size-fits-all summary justice and centralized control).

The way I am, is I tend to have a really flexible idea of alignment, yet at the same time I do like using it a lot (some people hate it and think it's too pigeonholy, but I think the 'moral forces' of C/G/L/E are an interest theme, and it does keep some characters from trying to have it both ways.)

fallensaviour

yes i'm reminded of this http://kundor.org/pub/batman-alignment.jpg poster where they attribute all alignments to batman...

ff

Quote from: fallensaviour on June 24, 2010, 11:51:49 AM
yes i'm reminded of this http://kundor.org/pub/batman-alignment.jpg poster where they attribute all alignments to batman...

ROFL great find. I wish I'd had that when discussing alignment in some places in the past.

The Chaotic Evil...omg...'who else would kick a man for eating ice cream?'

NicciKotor

One of my players dropped, so anyone still interested in a gestalt game, just IM me or visit my OOC thread.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

Vergil1989

I'm sorry for the long length, but this is a work in progress unless I'm told otherwise lol.  If I am missing anything or I need to correct anything, please say so before the game starts.  Also, 20,000 gold pieces worth in equipment is what I have now but that can be changed as needed, although I'd prefer not to if I can help it lol.

Dungeons and Dragons RP sheet

Name; Neria Zathreial
Gender; Female
Race; Elf
Class; Cleric
Age; 115
Alignment; Chaotic Good
Deity; Corellon Larethian, Protection and War
Armor Class; Light
Weapon;
General Appearance;  4 ft, 7 in  95 lbs  Long, almost shining gold blonde hair, (no blonde jokes please,) fairly tanned skin that adds an exotic appeal, and beautiful sea blue eyes that draw the eyes of all that look upon her fair face.  No scars mark her, for this will be her first adventure.  Despite this, the cleric has honed her body and mind to stand up to the challenge of the road and otherwise, giving her an appealing but muscular physique with very little fat to be seen upon her.

History;  Neria Zathrieal was orphaned at a young age.  Orc raiders slaughtered the temporary camp of her people during a half moon on a cloudless night.  Her mother had been wise enough to hide the young Neria inside a hollowed log that the orcs missed in their bloody frenzy.  Neria watched in silent horror as her own mother and many of her friends were relentlessly ravaged by the orcs before finally being put to their deaths.  The next day, those same orcs were slaughtered by human adventurers, and Neria had been taken to the nearest elven camp by the leader of the group, a cleric and very kind old man.  She had never gotten his name, but she would never forget his face, or the power he had to heal even the most fatal of wounds.  But some wounds could not be healed, those of the heart and mind.  Neria would forever be alone, even amongst those of her own kind.  But the young elven maiden did what she thought was right and followed in the man's footsteps, becoming a cleric that found it hard to form any kind of lasting friendships for fear of having said friends ripped away from her.  That, and because of what the orcs had done before being killed, Neria still holds a deep seated hatred of any of their kind.  Neria also cannot get intimately involved with anyone without feeling like having a panic attack, remembering all too clearly that horrible night all so long ago.  Because of this, Neria had begun study with the priestesses of Hanali Celanil to overcome her fears before she heard the call to arms and adventure.

Stats

Strength; 14 /+2
Constitution; 10 /0
Dexterity; 14 /+2
Wisdom; 18 /+4
Intelligence; 16 /+3
Charisma; 15 /+2

Spells; Sanctuary.  (Deity powered.)
1st level spells;  Cure Light Wounds, Detect Evil

Special Abilities and Traits;  Pg 16 for traits
SA; Aura Pg 32
Spontaneous Casting Pg 32
Turn or Rebuke Undead Pg 33

Feats;  Scribe Scroll Pg 99

Saves;
Fortitude; 2 + 0 + 0
Reflex; 0 + 2 + 0
Will;  2 + 4 + 0

Equipment;  Adventurer’s Kit, +1 Flaming weapon. +1 Ring of protection, +1 full platemail, +1 large steel shield, 2 Periapt (necklace) of Wisdom, and a +1 Cloak of Resistance. (adds +1 to your Fort, Will, and Ref saves)
Skills; Perform 2 ranks,

(Jera’s stuff.)

Neria Zathreial

Female Elf Cleric 5 / Prestige Class 1
Chaotic Good

Strength    12   (+1)
Dexterity    14   (+2)
Constitution    8   (-1)
Intelligence    12   (+1)
Wisdom    19   (+4)
Charisma    14   (+2)

Size:    Medium
Height:    4' 11"
Weight:    105 lb
Skin:    Tan
Eyes:    Blue
Hair:    Blonde; Straight

Domains: Protection War

Energy: Positive [Healing / Turns Undead]

Total Hit Points: 27

Speed: 20 feet [armor]

Armor Class: 21 = 10 +8 [full plate] +2 [heavy steel] +1 [dexterity in armor]

Touch AC: 11
      Flat-footed: 20

Initiative modifier:   +2   = +2 [dexterity]
Fortitude save:   +3   = 4 [base] -1 [constitution]
Reflex save:   +3   = 1 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Will save:   +10   = 6 [base] +4 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld):   +4   = 3 [base] +1 [strength]
Attack (unarmed):   +4   = 3 [base] +1 [strength]
Attack (missile):   +5   = 3 [base] +2 [dexterity]
Grapple check:   +4   = 3 [base] +1 [strength]

Light load: 43 lb. or less
Medium load: 44-86 lb.
Heavy load: 87-130 lb.
Lift over head: 130 lb.
Lift off ground: 260 lb.
Push or drag: 650 lb.

Languages:   Celestial Common Elven

Longsword [1d8, crit 19-20/x2 4 lb, one-handed, slashing]

Full plate armor [heavy; +8 AC; max dex +1; check penalty -6; 50 lb.]

Heavy Steel Shield [+2 AC; check penalty -1; hardness 10; hp 20; 15 lb.]

Feats:

Persuasive   
      Sexually Open Society   [hand-edit as needed]
      Weapon Focus x1   Weapon(s): Flame Longsword
      Weapon Focus: Longsword   [war domain, sect weapon]
      Scribe Scroll   

Skill Name

Key
Ability

Skill
Modifier

Ability
Modifier

Ranks

Misc.
Modifier
Appraise    Int    1 =    +1
Balance    Dex*    2 =    +2
Bluff    Cha    4 =    +2   +2 [persuasive]
Climb    Str*    1 =    +1
Concentration    Con    6 =    -1 +7
Diplomacy    Cha    10 =    +2 +8   
Disguise    Cha    2 =    +2
Escape Artist    Dex*    2 =    +2
Forgery    Int    1 =    +1
Gather Information    Cha    2 =    +2
Heal    Wis    4 =    +4
Hide    Dex*    2 =    +2
Intimidate    Cha    4 =    +2      +2 [persuasive]
Jump    Str*    -5 =    +1      -6 [speed 20]
Listen    Wis    6 =    +4      +2 [elf]
Move Silently    Dex*    2 =    +2
Perform: Sex    Cha    10 =    +2   +8   
Profession: Oldest    Wis    12 =    +4  +8   
Ride    Dex    2 =    +2
Search    Int    3 =    +1      +2 [elf]
Sense Motive    Wis    4 =    +4
Spot    Wis    6 =    +4      +2 [elf]
Survival    Wis    4 =    +4
Swim    Str**    1 =    +1
Use Rope    Dex    2 =    +2

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Zero-level Cleric spells: 5 per day
1.   Detect Poison
2.   Purify Food and Drink
3.   Read Magic
4.   Inflict Minor Wounds
5.   Mending
First-level Cleric spells: 4 (3+1) per day +1 from a domain:
1.   Endure Elements
2.   Command
3.   Bless
4.   Sanctuary
5.   Domain spell; Divine Power
Second-level Cleric spells: 4 (3+1) per day +1 from a domain:
1.   Consecrate
2.   Command
3.   Comprehend Language
4.   Domain Spell;  Blade Barrier
Third-level Cleric spells: 3 (2+1) per day +1 from a domain:
1.   Wind Wall
2.   Remove Disease
3.   Prayer
4.   Domain Spell;  Spiritual Weapon
Elf:

* +2 dexterity / -2 constitution (already included)

* Immune to magical sleep

* +2 racial bonus to saves vs. enchantments

* Low-light vision

* Proficient with longsword, rapier, longbow & shortbow

* +2 racial bonus on listen, search, and spot checks

* Notice secret doors

Cleric:

* Alignment Aura

* Spontaneous Casting (heal)

* Turn Undead (5x/day)

* High wisdom gains bonus spells daily

* Domain choices give additional abilities

Prestige Class

* Hit dice d8

* Average increase in attack bonuses

* Slow increase in fortitude saves

* Slow increase in reflex saves

* Fast increase in will saves

* Base 6 skill points per level

* Light armor proficiency

* No bonus feats

* Additional cleric spell levels: 1

* Aura of Sexual Ease
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

Vergil1989

My concept is on the second page, but I thought I'd throw my entire sheet up there just so I could reference it easier.  Sorry if that screwed up anything for everyone else at all, I can easily remove it just as easily as I put it up.
Taker of the Oath of the Drake
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=85486.0  Absence and Apology...countdown to doom....so to speak.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=123720.msg5435844#msg5435844  Storyteller Cafe thread.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=186829.0  Solo thread request thread
IMPORTANT UPDATE as of October 6th 2016 in A/A page

ff

Quote from: Vergil1989 on June 24, 2010, 03:21:44 PM
My concept is on the second page, but I thought I'd throw my entire sheet up there just so I could reference it easier.  Sorry if that screwed up anything for everyone else at all, I can easily remove it just as easily as I put it up.

Although format is of course up to the DM, I know I tend to find somewhat more 'compact' char sheets convenient - especially if we later have a Char Sheet thread with all of ours in a row. For example, it'll be just as legible (more legible really) without all the double spacing. You could list all her feats in one common-separated line rather than a vertical list, and all her spells prepared one of level as a comma-separated line, etc. That way people can see more of the sheet on the screen at once (and it's easier to scroll up and down to see other sheets an such).

Decrepitdan

How we do formatting of characters is largely up to the group. There are of course resources we could use - though I would be hard pressed to provide any links to any online writable char sheets that are also displayable over the web.

I tend to like listing spells by level, if multiple selections are made of the same spell, simply list both individually. That lets you change your character sheet in a voltaic fashion:

ie: "1st level- Magic Missile, Magic Missile, Grease, 1stLevelSpellX"

Listing your spells the way the example has them allows you to note with strike through notation which spells are used - as I did with the second Magic Missile listing above. This allows all players and the dungeon master to view what resources you have to hand - and using one post in an OOC thread - each character can format their own sheet that way.

Decrepitdan

ff- Perhaps you could post a compact character listing example, if and when you have your character generated - so that others may see what you mean?

As a side note, anyone who has their character generated is more than welcome to post it in the thread as Vergil has done.

ff

Sure thing, was thinking along the same lines :) Post following this one will have a block.

Good way of handling expended spells. Strikeout rather than removal from teh list makes it much easier to remember what was already used and if you already removed something, esp. when you have multiple of the same spell prepared and it can be easy to lose count.

I lifted the following format from:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060707a

a WotC page on 'stat blocks' with an example for Balor (whcih I literally copied and edited into my char's below). The Balor's nice and complicated, so while it doesn't have spells it knows for example, it does have a Spell-Like Abilities section, and I see that blocks with a similar looking "Spells Prepared: 1st - magic missile, charm person; 2nd - scorching ray, ..." etc.

I often see them used for NPCs and monsters, they may not be totally self contained for PCs, like all a wizard's spells in his spellbook or descriptions of obscure prestige class features, etc. I think I've seen campaigns where they had longer-style char sheets and then also made stat blocks for quicker reference, with the latter only including gear insofar as it appeared in the Attacks section etc.

Right now I'm in one campaign at E and the DM there had us make mythweavers sheets (www.myth-weavers.com), which is a way to make and save them on the web, in a sharable way. What I did in the Character Profile thread for that campaign, is linked to the mythweavers.sheet, as she asked us to, and I also included a plaintext stat block in the thread for convenient reference.

Below is a stat block for Ilythyrra. Could be made more compact by leaving off things like what the 'elf traits' are as they're http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm . Usually I try to make sure I have explanations of 'manual' / non-core abilities (i.e. things not at d20.org with easy mutual access) at least.

Sometimes I see a character's/creature's unusual or less-well-known special attacks and qualities given little entries after the block, like for the Balor, for example, 'true seeing' is in its Special Qualties line, and then below the block, they have:

True Seeing (Su): Balors have a continuous true seeing ability, as the spell (caster level 20th).

Abilities like the Aura of Sexual Ease that Vergil's PC had, which isn't that well known and may not be online, and good candidates for these sort of 'explanation lines'.

ff

Ilythyrra, wood elf monk 6
Medium Humanoid (elf)
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (54 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 50 ft.
Armor Class: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 dodge), touch 16, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+8
Attack: unarmed +9 melee (2d8+4) or longbow +8 ranged (1d8+4/x3) or kama +8 melee (1d6+4) or shuriken +7 ranged (1d2+4)
Full Attack: unarmed +8/+8 melee (2d8+4) or longbow +8 ranged (1d8+4/x3) or kama +7/+7 melee (1d6+3) or shuriken +6/+6 ranged (1d2+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: flurry of blows, ki strike (magic), stunning first (6/day, DC 15)
Special Qualities: elf traits, evasion, purity of body (disease immunity), slow fall 30', still mind (+2 saves vs enchantment)
Saves: Fort +6, Reflex +8, Will +7 (+11 vs enchantment)
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 14, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +12, Listen +13, Move Silently +12, Search +3, Spot +13, Tumble +12
Feats: Combat Reflexes (or deflect arrows?), Improved Natural Attack, Improved Trip, Improved Unarmed Strike, Stunning Fist, Superior Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus (unarmed)
Alignment: Lawful neutral (not totally decided?)
Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan
Possession: 2 kamas, 50 shuriken, mw comp. longbow (Str rating +4), quiver and 50 arrows, longsword, siangham, 2 sais, spiked chain, grappling hook and 100' of silk rope, thin bedroll and rain tarp, one tenday of rations, flint and tinder, 3 sunrods, two monk's outfits, forest camouflage rain cloak, map of the known world, canteen, 100 gp

Wood elf traits:
Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects. (Not reflected in the saving throw modifiers given here.)
Low-light vision.
Weapon Proficiency: Elves are automatically proficient with the longsword, rapier, longbow, composite longbow, shortbow, and composite shortbow.
+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
+2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Str, -2 Int

ff

As an example of a mythweavers sheet, I remembered that I had done one for my L6 paladin proposal:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=217791

Hunter

Quote from: NicciKotor on June 24, 2010, 03:08:44 PM
One of my players dropped, so anyone still interested in a gestalt game, just IM me or visit my OOC thread.

We could definitely use a rogueish/fighterish type.   And...I think we need an all girl party.   ;D

ABitOffTheWall

Sorry about my sporadic presence in this conversation, but might I recommend making characters using Hero Forge?  It's an Excel based program that lets you put in character information and it will make all the relevant calculations and spit it onto a character sheet.
My Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=8432
Game Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=61048.0
I will love you forever if you give me something Mass Effecty

Decrepitdan

Thank you very much ff, for providing the awesome example for others to reference.

Either way we choose to display our characters, we all need to agree and do so in the same place, so that all may reference the sheets.

ff

Quote from: ABitOffTheWall on June 24, 2010, 09:52:49 PM
Sorry about my sporadic presence in this conversation, but might I recommend making characters using Hero Forge?  It's an Excel based program that lets you put in character information and it will make all the relevant calculations and spit it onto a character sheet.

Is it on the web / sharable? (good for anyone who uses multiple comps, and would be necessary to show it to others anywway, unless you just meant for using it personal computation).

mythweavers does some calculation (adding ability score mods to saving throws and skill ranks and such), but last I checked it had a minor error in its 'total skill ranks' (it doubled everything except the knowledge skills), which is too bad since total skill points are the thing people most often get wrong, understandably so (tho you can always figure out what 2x your number should be, write in any knowlege skills twice, and check against that total, heehee). 

ff

Quote from: Decrepitdan on June 24, 2010, 10:05:02 PM
Thank you very much ff, for providing the awesome example for others to reference.

Either way we choose to display our characters, we all need to agree and do so in the same place, so that all may reference the sheets.

Thanks!

ABitOffTheWall

Quote from: ff on June 24, 2010, 10:14:52 PM
Is it on the web / sharable? (good for anyone who uses multiple comps, and would be necessary to show it to others anywway, unless you just meant for using it personal computation).

mythweavers does some calculation (adding ability score mods to saving throws and skill ranks and such), but last I checked it had a minor error in its 'total skill ranks' (it doubled everything except the knowledge skills), which is too bad since total skill points are the thing people most often get wrong, understandably so (tho you can always figure out what 2x your number should be, write in any knowlege skills twice, and check against that total, heehee).

Yeah, it's just for personal computation, but it's very easy to learn.  Pathguy's 3.5 character generator is good to use too, as it gives you the information in the form of stat blocks like the one you posted in, ff.

HeroForge is downloadable from here, while pathguy's cg is online here.
My Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=8432
Game Ideas: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=61048.0
I will love you forever if you give me something Mass Effecty

Kate

i will post what i think suits her character sheet tomorrow.
Im happy to hear others suggestions of refinement - but not towards what is more generally useful only towards what serves her focus.

Wills she be useful in all circumstances and well rounded - hell no - thats not her focus.
Her nature is to be urber good at certain things regardless of how frail her abilities in other areas are.

Her focus of study is manipulating minds and bodies,
- her abilities to manage other things she hopes items or those she is with can manage.

ff

Having a specialty is good!

Offhand, what I can think of towards that end, are:

-Feats like Spellcasting Prodigy, Spell Focus (enchantment), and Greater Spell Focus (enchantment). She'll have three feats at sixth level, and these three increase her enchantment spell potency. Which is more important for enchantment than some other schools of magic, since the spells are mostly all-or-nothing, whereas for example evocation is often all-or-half and for 'buff/friendly' spells, there's no save (or technically, there is but people voluntarily fail it b/c they want the buff). In other words. an enchanter with high spell DCs is very good and one with low DCs is not so good.

-The Bluff skill, a sorcerer class skill which suits her personality to a T (and which she'll be good at w/ her high Charisma).

-A good Charisma score of course, which will enhance the the spell DCs (and # spells per day), her Bluff skill, and social interaction generally. (You picked a good race for an enchantress.)

-If you want, I can give suggestions on sorcerer spells known to pick. The link lists then by school of magic, so it's pretty handy for choosing a school them (like enchantment).