Colorado Billboard

Started by Serephino, August 01, 2012, 02:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-aurora-billboard-everyones-talking-203448772.html?_esi=1

Please, someone tell me this is a sick joke...  If some fucker really did this... I think I...  Sad part is I can't tell because there are people who would actually stoop this low.

Trieste

gaggedLouise

Technically legit but a dumbass message.

The funny thing is that looking at the comment thread for that Atlantic Wire article, people appear clearly to be talking back at previous posters, but the names they are putting first in their reply posts don't match any name nearby. Like, "Mark, there's been more than one gaffe..." - the guy he is set as replying to is not called Mark at all.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

RubySlippers

I can see the point Obama is fighting in wars and won a Nobel Peace Prize an award that should go to those preventing that very act of war. What did Obama DO to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize that compares to others who earned it for similar things? Nothing.

It is kind of crazy although comparing him to a murderous nutjob is unfair that other half on its own is right on the money.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 01, 2012, 08:33:54 AM
I can see the point Obama is fighting in wars and won a Nobel Peace Prize an award that should go to those preventing that very act of war. What did Obama DO to deserve the Nobel Peace Prize that compares to others who earned it for similar things? Nothing.

It is kind of crazy although comparing him to a murderous nutjob is unfair that other half on its own is right on the money.

I agree Obama's peace prize was premature, but surely he couldn't have expected it at that stage? It wouldn't be motivated now either, but that's kinda beside the point with that billboard - just as you're saying.

It's not the first time that the Nobel peace prize gets awarded on strange grounds. The award to Kissinger and Le Duc Tho for negotiating the end of the Vietnam war - something they did with their backs against the wall, and having helped prosecute the war for many years - was scorned in its own day and remains a very odd choice.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

MasterMischief

Hyperbole FTW!  Sorry rational discussion, you lose.

Serephino

Sure, be upset with Obama for the wars, (which he did not start by the way), but to compare it to a mass murder??  *head desk*

OldSchoolGamer

Rational political discourse is pretty much dead in America.  I've been planning for awhile to establish a domicile elsewhere I can relocate to when "abler men" get around to taking the reins here.

Tyrunea

I'm rather sad this exists so close to home.

MasterMischief

...and to hear the Republicans complain about Obama's negative ads.  They have been running negative ads for four years.  Hypocrits!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: MasterMischief on August 29, 2012, 09:18:01 AM
...and to hear the Republicans complain about Obama's negative ads.  They have been running negative ads for four years.  Hypocrits!

Have you learned nothing? Neither party does negative ads, that is the criminal tactics of their rivals.

vtboy

The billboard is obnoxious, but its persuasive impact, I think, is probably de minimis. Those who will nod approvingly as they pass it almost certainly already believe Obama responsible for all that plagues us, and those who doubt the other vile slanders flung his way are unlikely to accept this one. If anything,  the billboard may actually backfire on its sponsor by motivating Obama supporters to vote in greater numbers and to contribute more heavily to his campaign.   

The more polished, but equally false and malicious, content of the campaign aids with which the Romney campaign and its fellow travellers are littering the air waves is a source of far greater concern to me.

JuliusCaesar

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 29, 2012, 09:36:07 AM
Have you learned nothing? Neither party does negative ads, that is the criminal tactics of their rivals.

+1

A great point in regards to this billboard, but also to the 2012 campaign itself.
THEY SHOULD THINK CAUSALLY RATHER THAN MAGICALLY, AND KNOW WHAT IT TAKES TO DISTINGUISH CAUSATION FROM CORRELATION AND COINCIDENCE. THEY SHOULD BE ACUTELY AWARE OF HUMAN FALLIBILITY, MOST NOTABLY THEIR OWN, AND APPRECIATE THAT PEOPLE WHO DISAGREE WITH THEM ARE NOT STUPID OR EVIL. ACCORDINGLY, THEY SHOULD APPRECIATE THAT VALUE OF TRYING TO CHANGE MINDS BY PERSUASION RATHER THAN INTIMIDATION OR DEMAGOGUERY.
I BELIEVE (AND BELIEVE I CAN PERSUADE YOU) THAT THE MORE DEEPLY A SOCIETY
CULTIVATES THIS KNOWLEDGE AND MINDSET, THE MORE IT WOULD FLOURISH. THE CONVICTION THAT THEY ARE TEACHABLE GETS ME OUT OF BED IN THE MORNING.