Artesia: Adventures in the Known World

Started by ZK, July 08, 2006, 08:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZK

Not to start another thread, but I wish to start a game based on the world of Artesia. It's a mythic fantasy written and illustrated by the talented Mark Smiley. Based on the detailed world that Artesia [The graphic comic book and name of the Heroine of it's series] is a world of violence, mystery and feverent passion [Love and Sex go hand in hand, well more like Lust and Sex. ^.~]. The style of the world is a varied in it's design from 17th Century designs for body armor and weaponry to that of Greek/Roman era mythic setting with a little styling from various roleplaying game genres, like the old World of Darkness and Dungeons and Dragons pepper the setting for some extra spice [without overdoing it].

The system isn't d20 and a customized version of the Fuzion system that was used in the popular CyberPunk 2020 [namely the LifePath system aspect] to play. The game offers a whole series of "pick and choose or roll the dice" to create a detailed background for your character so that is much easier to those who have troubles with designing a character.

As well, the game world isn't focused keenly on the main character of the comic book series, he made sure to make the world vastly detailed enough for you to do basically whatever the hell you want.

If adventuring, drinking and have copious ammounts of sex with the Inn's own personal courtesan [or be one too!] This game would be for you. Still enough fantasy without overdoing it. Easy to learn system and I'm willing to go with character creation for those who do not own a copy of the book. :)
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

RubySlippers

Yes a pick a path sort of system like Unicorn Games did for Deep Space 9 the role-playing game that is fine. I'm in I love fantasy sorts of games. I'll play a human if there are options they are usually a good start.

ZK

You can only play as humans in this game, since all the mythological creatures decided to take a backseat [they're still encountered, just not as much as they were in the Age of Legend].

But, as the LifePath system is, you basically design everything from your birthplace, lineage and even your parents and their professions. It starts out at the age of 16, then goes up to the [standard starting age] of 21.

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

RubySlippers

Well then I'll roll for the birthplace and family related background and choose professional advances if that would be ok. And she will be a woman. Not sure of profession will pick that once I have her background I mean a streetwise city girl from a bad family might have a different need like survival over a well to do daughter of a merchant.

ZK

Lilian

I am!  This sounds way too good not to take it for a ride. ;)

ZK

I'm going to allow both methods of rolling to see or choosing. Although I will limit some things on Choosing, since people can basically cherry pick things and make an inhuman super PC.

RubySlippers

I favor role-playing so rarely do the over powered person- what's the point of that?  ;)

Zakharra

ZK

Since women are not generally allowed [in some cultures, mainly Middle Kingdom] on active military roles, I'm changing that [as the book allows]. Just the Aurians will be the only exception cause they're all women haters. But it is possible [but harder] for women to join the military, unless of course your a Daradja, since it was once a Queendom, the "women are the fighters" sort of bit stayed in. So, there are a lot more female fighters in the Highlands of Daradja. I'll be playing along [mix between PC and NPC] with you along the adventure.

On rolling and pick and choosing, When it comes to rolling options, you have more chance of getting the odd things, while on choosing, I'm only going to allow the common things, unless of course you have a rather lovely idea! For example, being enlisted as a Knight in say...the Watchtower Kings lands as a woman. ^.^

Xerial

Ok... NWoD and me didn't quite get along, so I kind of flaked out there, but a fantasy without being overly fantasy setting is just too intriguing... I don't know the world, but I can adapt.. heck, a fresh to adventuring person would be just learning about the big bad world anyway, neh?

ZK

Okay, that's enough interest in the game for me to start it. ^.^

Xerial

'course I'm gonna need some handholding on the system... or to be led by various other parts...  ;)

Celestial Goblin

I'll be playing, but it's still a matter of getting the book first. Sounds very fine, though.

Zakharra

Unfortunately I don't have the RPG   :(

ZK

DriveThruRPG has it for sale for 20 USD.

ZK

ZK

I believe this will be highly fun! ^.^

Sex, adventure [not over the top in terms of D&D magic] and violence! ^.^ So, go kick some ass, get drunk and get laid. Ah, good times. :)

A question though, Bondage and the Like Exotic or No Consent: Exotic?

I know there has been rape in Artesia, but it was more of a "background device" then actually active. But since slavery is legal in a lot of place [Mainly Lords and Ladies have their pets err servants] ^.^

RubySlippers

Well I'm not into violence with sex (fade to black) but not opposed to others so inclined.

Yes my character is either going to strictly a lesbian or mostly lesbian but might take an exceptional man now and then to her bed- or if part of a couple. (leaning to the latter...)

ZK

I wasn't associating violence with sex [unless you meant by rape]. But the Known World is a very violent and dangerous place. So, there will be fighting, people killed and blood shed. But, after you do so much, you just got to settle down for a pint and stare at that lovely dancing girl/guy on your table before you slip the innkeep some silver and go get some. ^.^

RubySlippers

Oh sword and sorcery gritty fighting that is different!  ;)

But I can see her fight, save some woman and then get payment with her washed and perfumed on a bed. lol

ZK

As well, for a pop culture usage of the type of armor. The armor they used in Vagrant Story is the equive to that of Artesia. ^.^

Xerial

I still need to get my hands on the rules... either that or get a walk-through for the creation process.

Planning on either a rugged pugilist, or a sneaky knife weilder...

Zakharra

I'd need help in PC creation too. I still, after 10 years, can't understand the 3E/D20 PC creation process.

Muse

::bows::  Got room for me, ZK? 

Perhaps for a completly randomly creted charecter?  Even toss a coin for gender? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)