When Darkness Falls/D&D 3.5 (Recruitment closed for now)

Started by sleepingferret, February 22, 2012, 01:20:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepingferret

When Darkness Falls - D&D 3.5 [NC]

*DM Note: house rules (level adjustments, bladesingers/duskblades, acceptable races), exceptions for 3.0 materials never updated to 3.5 will be discussed on a case by case basis, and allowable source material will be disclosed should the game receive enough interest

I've been working on materials for a D&D campaign for the past couple years, but have never found a group to actually play it.  The campaign itself has definitive goals, however the game itself even if played with a dedicated tabletop group (and just played out with no real character interaction, which we here at E would never do), I do put my disclaimer as a full epic scaled game intended to level character from 1-20 (and potentially beyond), it would be a sizable commitment.  And of course, for here on E I'll be making changes so that actual interaction becomes just as important as cutting off the next orc's head.

Player's Campaign Intro
What inspired each of you to seek the open road and life of an adventurer is a story itself.  Ever traveler in these lands knows of the adventurer's guild known oddly enough as The Traveler's, their members are amongst the elite, bard's tell stories of their feats.  It is whispered however, that a threat looms on the horizon that perhaps not even The Traveler's can stop.  Of course, not every powerful wizard or swordsman belongs or claims membership with them, so maybe or maybe not this rumored danger will be stopped.

But as you check your pack and set out on the road for the first time, you wonder if it would be best to seek out one of their guild representatives.

Phoenixrisen

I could theoretically go for a 3.5 game, though I'd want to know what the house rules were. I also have no issue with people randomly disappearing from time to time. I have unfortunately had to do it myself and I'm very patient.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

sleepingferret

2/23/12 Update - D&D game rules and additional info added on request

When Darkness Falls - D&D 3.5

House Rules

1.  In regards to the level adjustment system:  I for the most part would rather have people play characters they'd enjoy, and not have them be restricted (or feel restricted).  So for certain races that are within reason, I overlook and disregard the level adjustment.  Meaning that for the duration of the game, you will be treated just like as if you had chosen one of the core races from the Player's Handbook.  More powerful races such as minotaurs, which may have a more significant impact on lower level portions of campaigns; I allow players to still take a player class at 1st level.  However, in order to counter the impact the more powerful creature can make in earlier stages, I do impose a 10% XP penalty per LA.  This penalty is removed completely once the party obtains a level equal to your ECL.  Reductions in the penalty depend on the campaign flow, and even removal of the penalty may be done early at my discretion.

This rule is not intended to encourage or discourage players from choosing "abnormal" races.  However, having been on both sides of the table and after examining things; I have found it much easier to make for allowances, rather than have a classless player potentially hinder a party.

2.  People will either accept or hate this one, but I don't think any of the multiple versions of the Bladesinger prestige class represent what a Bladesinger is supposed to be.  Well, let me rephrase that... none of them really represent what they were presented as capable of, when held up to their first introduction in the Complete Book of Elves from 2nd Edition.  They were your front line, battle wizard, capable of dancing straight into the enemy ranks and throwing a lightning bolt into their face.

Now I'm not going to get into the rule differences between the two editions.  And quite frankly, mechanically in all honesty the Bladesinger could have essentially remained the same.  Thus after several revisions, mass battle tests using my epic level Bladesinger (with the help of my friend who has created some of the craziest monsters), and after a short campaign test beginning at level 1.

This is my current revision of a character class version of the Bladesinger.

http://grimstonestudios.com/files/bladesinger.html

3.  The Laws of Realism.  While the D&D world (or worlds as it may be, as these rules were written to be non-campaign setting specific) is a world of fantasy, where magic often governs and makes things we even in modern times can only dream of...well a reality.  I still like to remind players that they aren't immortal, that their characters are still mortal beings.  Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to throw death traps or dragons out of the woodwork at people...no, that would just be plain well...rude.  And make the experience not fun.

I'm more talking about the simple mechanics that even experienced DMs forget (I'll be the first to be admit I do...and I have this rule on my own personal list) to have players actually take care of their characters.  Rations aren't tracked, they walk into town and go see the king smelling like pigs.  While things like that I suppose you can overlook and say they are assumed to be taken care of, sometimes however I think it becomes taken for granted.

That same 1 week trail rations you had at 1st level, has lasted you the entire campaign...and you're now 10th level.  And it's now months or even say a year (or more) later for your party.  Again not like it would probably affect the outcome that much (or at all), but certain little things I think get take for granted and they shouldn't be.

So what about other things, such as trying to jump across pits?  If your Jump check says you can do it, I'll allow it.  Now, we all know some of that isn't "humanly" possibly in reality...but we're playing a game of fantasy and we're talking about heroic people...so I'll let stuff like that slide.

It's some of the other stuff, that people can easily say "Well it is a magical world, isn't it?"  One thing, I won't do is let this ever get in the way of the story and this is not intended to over burden anyone with unnecessary work.  It is however, just something that is part of the world that your character lives in.

Additional Game Info

Our story will begin with everyone deciding if they wish to seek out The Traveler's or not.  Player's will begin at their individual homes (or point of origins), so unless they agree to have grown up together, the group will begin apart.

The only common whisper of activity throughout the land is that an ancient evil has begun to gather power again.  Of course, such whispers can often be dismissed as "old wives" tales...but it seems kingdoms have been calling forth the finest adventuring companies to investigate the rumors.

The campaign itself will begin in Toril (The Forgotten Realms).  But as the only spoiler, dependent on choices made it can spill over to other worlds.

Character Creation Info

Allowable Source Material: Most official 3.5 sources (this includes the use of the d20 SRD; for those without access to 3.5 books, all Forgotten Realms 3.x sources (for 3.0 material not found in any 3.5 source, please consult me first), d20 Book of Erotic Fantasy (usage will be allowed with approval; though sexual situations unless using a spell or an ability will be roleplayed NOT rollplayed).

Disallowed Source Material: Tome of Battle and Tome of Magic (No classes or prestige classes may be used from these sources.  Feats, magical items, etc...will be examined on a case by case basis)

Usage of 3.0 Material: In general no, except in cases when no 3.5 update was made, then depending on what is being requested either a general judgement will be passed or a case by case decision will be issued.

Racial Abilities/Traits: Please the ones from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (with the exception of any updates made in the 3.5 version of the Player's Guide to Faerun) for any elf, dwarf, gnome, halfling, and human.  All others use the appropriate 3.5 source (unless an entry is given in a Forgotten Realms source).

Ability Scores: 32 point buy
Starting Level: 1st
Starting Gold:

Half normal for character class (for low class backgrounds)
normal for character class (for middle class backgrounds)
1.5x normal (for upper middle class backgrounds)
2x normal (for noble or wealthy backgrounds)

EDIT: character creation rules information added (edited 02/25/12 03:55 GMT; updated character creation information)

Latooni Subota

Hmm . . I think I could be interested in the DnD game. I have a few character concepts I'd enjoy pulling out of the vault and playing with here. Though, I have to ask since this IS Elliquiy: Is this one of those games that's not going to have much, if any, smut?

For example, I have characters like my old paladin that would NEVER get into a sexy situation if she could help it. I also have characters like my Cloaked Dancer that would easily use sex to get through a situation, if it was a safer option than other means.
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

sleepingferret

"Smut" level depends on the players.  While I may use use sexual situations as a "weapon" with some NPCs.  NPC interactions will only be played out, until any sexual acts.  In the case of non-consensual acts, the situation shall be played out up to the point where the victim looses the ability to struggle.

As for how much of the sexual situations, if any arise, gets "publicly" described between party members...that is entirely between the players.  Although I'd rather the game not turn into a smut story. 

Phoenixrisen

It's all sounding good so far. :) Thank you for posting that up.

My only slight concern, is working with the roles in forum rp. I've never done a system game in a forum before. I always avoided it, because it was more about the writing to me in a forum, but I haven't had a D&D game in too long and the itch is there. I would hope that people would be willing to work with me there.

Also Toril, yay! It's the only one of the preconceived settings I'm at all familiar with.
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Videospirit

Would have to work it from more than a "that might be neat" standpoint, but I've had an idea for a wizard focused on summoning I've wanted to play for a good while. Main Sources I'd be interested in calling upon would be the SRD, Complete Scoundrel, and Frostburn

Kimera

zengal

I'll be putting my interest in as well. Seeing as all the cool kids are doing it. [/peerpressure]

I'm not all that familiar with 3.5, but I have a natural knack when it come to studying for Roleplays. [I just wish that talent would tranfer over to my schoolwork better. >>;]
...and I suppose any part of us that can only be seen by others is a Dark part.
I feel that about the small of my back, too, and the nape of my neck.
They are Dark: they are erotic zones as in the tropics whereas Paris is straightforward and bright about it all.
A coal miner has kind of a sexy occupation -- though I'm sure it's painful down there... but so is Lust.
Of Light we can never have enough but how would we find it unless the Darkness urged us on and into it.
I am Dark except, when -- now and then -- it all comes clear and I can see myself as others luckily sometimes see me in a good light.

sleepingferret

Well if anyone has questions, feel free to ask.  3.x was actually one of easier D&D systems to learn.

As far as concerns with system games and forums, or rollplay vs roleplaying.  Combat will be more rollplay.  Everything else will be more roleplaying.

For things I decide that do require any die rolls I may request them, and then the results should be played out accordingly.  For example, you begin trying to negotiate your way out of fight with a street gang, the gang leader gives you your choices.  If you wish to propose a counter offer or attempt to strike up any other arrangements other than what he offered, then I'd request you to make a Diplomacy check.  The results of which, both sides would play out. 

Latooni Subota

Well, we have a nice sized group of people interested, so I think your recruiting for a DnD game was successful Ferret. Lol.

I've got a couple of ideas here and there. Mostly Rogues, Bards, Warlocks, and Wizards. I'll do some more thinking on it to narrow it down.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

grovercjuk

Sounds very interesting my offering for a character is:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=374978

If you asked Katrina what one word she would like to be applied to her then it would be professional. Not attractive or beautiful as many of her fellow women would have liked. And she looks the part, her armour is cared for as are her weapons but there is no flash about them at all. From her close cropped hair to her sturdy boots she looked exactly like what she is, a professional mercenary archer.

Her longbow is slung over her shoulder, two quivers of arrows easily assessable along with a workman like sword hanging at her waist. She wears  leather armour.  Her leather trousers are hard wearing and travel worn, as are her leather boots. Other equipment is in a backpack that is easily dumped for combat.

Personality.

Likes: Being professional, travelling, hitting the target every time.
Dislikes: Amateurs, flashy types, merchants.
Interacting with others. When it comes to interacting with others she deals with people on a professional basis. You do your end and she will do hers. Social interaction is a whole new ball game. She really does not get social interaction, the whole flattery and white lies thing just baffle her. I mean why being me flowers? If I wanted some I would go and get some and what would I do with them anyhow?
Believes that: Her core belief is get it right, first time, every time and you live, piss around and you die, it really is that simple.

Equipment.

Weapons and armour.
       She wears a leather jerkin with leather trousers and boots. A longbow and a longsword are her primary weapons along with a dagger on her belt and a cut throat razor in a pouch at the back of her neck.
Other equipment.
         Backpack, rope, a plain brown hooded traveler's cloak, a bedroll and traveler's tent, dried foodstuffs for a week, waterskin and miscellaneous items such as a lantern, oil, fish hooks etc.

Other important stuff.

Deities. She worships the ThunderBird God of thunder and storms.
The things you need to know about his past are:
      She grew up in a border stronghold where raiders swept in on a regular basis. One such raid left her mother dead and her father bringing up four sons and one daughter.  Not having a clue about how to bring up a daughter her father decided to treat her as a son who just had to sit to pee. Hence her more masculine outlook on life.
             Life was hard, she was drilled in weapons and had all the combat she wanted. But she had wonder lust, a trait she got from her mother, one of the rare comments her father said about her mother. The barbarian warrior who came and won his heart only to break it when she died leaving him with a family.

Latooni Subota

is the tome of battle allowed? I do love my Unarmed Swordsage after all . . . if it isn't, it's okay though.

sleepingferret

Quote@Latooni

I do have Tome of Battle (and the Tome of Magic for that matter), but I'm avoiding those this round.  See the character creation section above for more information.

Quote@grovercjuk

I'll look over it again, later tonight but only things that caught my eye were that both Craft and Profession are specific skills.  So Craft (what?)  And Profession (what?).

Otherwise, let's see here.... party counts stands at:

Latooni Subota - ??
grovercjuka - Human Female Fighter
evangel - ??
zengal - ??
Kimera - ??
Videospirit - ??
Phoenixrisen - ??

So we should be fine, everyone can start working/submitting on characters.  This page shows the deities of the Forgotten Realms, so for any character choosing to worship a specific deity and not just a "shamanic" spirit or the idea of a deity, should choose from here.  The deities themselves of course know when they are being worshiped, even if those who only worship the idea of a deity or greater power do not worship them by name.  Worshiping the idea that a greater power for example gives mortals the ability to use magic, and grants you with your gift is worshiping Mystra even if you don't send your prays directly in her name.  Provided you do not send your prayers to any of her rivals of course and/or using the Shadow Weave to cast spells.

Again if anyone has any questions, please ask.  I'm usually around on E throughout the day and evening unless I'm playing Star Wars: The Old Republic or unless I'm not home (well I can and do check E from my iPhone, so I can't say I'm completely not available when I not home).

Latooni Subota

What server are you on, on TOR? Maybe we secretly know each other? :3

sleepingferret

Quote from: Latooni Subota on February 25, 2012, 05:50:36 PM
What server are you on, on TOR? Maybe we secretly know each other? :3

PvP Server: Saber of Exar Kun

I'm closing this thread for now.  An OCC thread has been opened with all the rules, character creation information, etc transferred over.  If you have any questions, again please ask.

I look forward to playing with you all, and hope you enjoy the game.

When Darkness Falls OOC Thread