Pitch this GM a game idea!

Started by Creeper, September 12, 2005, 02:49:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

*politely declines if it's going to be a WoD game*
(hates the system and the background both)

Ty

Various WoD systems could be promising.

ZK

I could help with Changeling: The Dreaming. I own all the books, both 1st and 2nd edtion from the regular Kithian to the strange Hsien. ^-^
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Creeper

That's 5. If we can find one more willing to play, I'll make the system.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Idachan

*head explodes from a rush of ideas* 

I´m eagerly expressing my intrest. But you better limit me to Changeling or else I´ll run around in a beaheaded chicken fashion for a while.

Muse

Whoot!  Six Players!  Thank you, ida-chan! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Idachan

ZK

Well, as things go. Heh, I own and know all the systems of oWoD and nWoD. If ANYONE needs help, I'll extend my hand...

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Creeper

Well, looks like I've gotten enough players... But my life has hit a bumpy point, so the game won't be up for a few days.

I went back through 2nd edition, and realised why so many of my other players had problems with it. There will be a number of houserules.

Houserules In a nutshell:

-Everything updated to 3rd edition
-Glamour and Blanalty will be better defined
-The appearance of your seeming will not be restricted by Kith. Kith will represent an Concept, an idea rather then a straight 'Race'. I don't really see creatures born from dreams looking all the same.
-Better definition of the barrier between the Dreaming and the Autum world
-Bunks will be easier to do overall, you won't have to struggle to affect a mortal.
-Some Mage/Changling interaction rules.

Muse

Is there a GM request and/or consensus as to wether the game will be pure changeling, or changeling/mage crossover, or completly multi-venue? 

I'm good for either. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ZK

Since the change of "Kith" appearance, I'll decline and pull myself out of the game.

That to me doesn't set well. I agree on everything else, just breaking that mechanic doesn't set well with me.

Muse

Now I'm lost.  How is makign the appearence of your kith less set in stone breaking a mechanic? 

ZK

Because all the Kiths have backgrounds and histories as to why they look that way. Taking it away breaks the games mechanics as for ability modifiers, special attributes as well as familiarity in the past.

As for the "Appearance", it's possible to have an appearance 5 Redcap or Sluagh.

Just, please, don't take away their distinguished looks. It's a portion of what makes the Kith.

Idachan

Quote from: Zulokitty on October 17, 2005, 03:13:04 PM
Because all the Kiths have backgrounds and histories as to why they look that way. Taking it away breaks the games mechanics as for ability modifiers, special attributes as well as familiarity in the past.

As for the "Appearance", it's possible to have an appearance 5 Redcap or Sluagh.

Just, please, don't take away their distinguished looks. It's a portion of what makes the Kith.

I agree mostly but I do think some changes to looks can work extremly well, in nordic mythology young Troll maidens where petite and fair, adding that would not harm for those female Trolls descending from northern Europe. Having a Troll with fur and pink skin is quite unnecessary though. Tweaks and slight changes within the frame of background and concept yes, freeflowing fantasy that goes over the top no thank you.

Creeper

It's going to be a Changling/Mage crossover, though how much interaction between the two will mostly be determined by the player's actions.

There are enough 'Standard' looking fae to set sterotypes, but fae are creatures of dreams, it would be blanal, in my mind, to say they stay the same throughout the ages. I only have the 2nd edtion book too, so I can't say much about their appearance-based history.

It's not that I'm taking away their distiguising looks, it's just that those looks will be volentary, rather then enforced. A changeling's Seeming can change with age and experience, just like a mortal's body can.

Oh, I forgot the mage houserules.

-Resonance will have a much stronger effect on a Mage's magic and life.
-No fast-casting penalty
-Technology will no longer be 'Evil'
-Certamen rules
-Less Technocratic influence, there will be much more inter-tradition clashes

ZK

I own all the Changeling books. Second Edition was the last edition. BUT for the reasoning of their basic looks, it goes with what they could merge from human dreams after being around humans for such a long time. It's why they start OUT with banality since they're still partially human and the Fae soul is stained with it. Sure, some do have unique characteristics and they do differ from ages of the Fae Mein.

As for Seeming, I think you have it crossed. The Seeming is what their mortal self looks like. Which can in deed, be vastly different then your Fae Mein. The Fae Mein is the "race" or the type of dream the being embodies over the time. And yes, regional areas DOES infact effect the Fae Mein. But, the general description of each Kith is in fact a race.

It was all because of the Shattering and such they were forced to take familiar shapes.

The "true" Fae as it was, was the Sidhe. As they're the last to cross over, they take more of the traditional routes of the Fae.

But, everyone is a Changeling, Partial Human, Part Fae. If they didn't have the "human" part in it. Their Fae Mein wouldn't be as general as it is.

That's the reason for their general looks. Due to what happened in the past, it forced them to take familiar shapes and over time, their Fae Souls begin to erode with the rise in banality, they resulted in adapting to shapes best suited for the "dream" they're based on.

So, the basis of General Appearance does stay and goes with each portion of the age of the Kithian's Fae Mein, but aside from the "general" looks, the actual Fae Mein is unique depending upon each type of Kithian.

As for the Technocracy being "evil" They're not. Just, missunderstood. Just like the majority of all things from the oWoD.

Only thing sofar being truly evil is the Earthbound.

But, as things go on the Fae discussion. They didn't -start- out as Kithian. They were one. Then came humanity. Which fucked up rythm all along and -forced- them into shapes.

Now if they all had no general appearance portion on Kithian, they would always be truly immortal, they wouldn't age, there would be no Kithian and well, they would be a True Fae instead of a Changeling.

An example. All Satyrs have horns and goat's lower half. That's right. But forcing all Satyrs to be nude, or wear skimpy clothes in their Fae Mein is -bad-.

General Appearances need to stay. That's all I want.

Jefepato

2nd was the last edition?  That's good -- it's all I have.

Zulokitty, do you happen to know whether the Shadow Court book was for 1st or 2nd?

ZK

The Shadow Court was for Second Edition.

As for the transitory move between First and Second, not really much was change. Only a few Cantrip and Bunk alterations and added storyline.

Muse

Okay, I'd like to play my skater girl mage Kumiko, since I've been looking for a good game to play her in for forever. 

If a second charecter is allowed, I'd like to play a changeling game as well, since it's really my only chance.  Either winged female sidhe or male giant (seelie troll).  If a second charecter is allowed, I'll work with the group to see which changeling charecter would better fit. 

Creeper

Quote from: Zulokitty on October 17, 2005, 06:06:07 PM
I own all the Changeling books. Second Edition was the last edition. BUT for the reasoning of their basic looks, it goes with what they could merge from human dreams after being around humans for such a long time. It's why they start OUT with banality since they're still partially human and the Fae soul is stained with it. Sure, some do have unique characteristics and they do differ from ages of the Fae Mein.

As for Seeming, I think you have it crossed. The Seeming is what their mortal self looks like. Which can in deed, be vastly different then your Fae Mein. The Fae Mein is the "race" or the type of dream the being embodies over the time. And yes, regional areas DOES infact effect the Fae Mein. But, the general description of each Kith is in fact a race.

It was all because of the Shattering and such they were forced to take familiar shapes.

The "true" Fae as it was, was the Sidhe. As they're the last to cross over, they take more of the traditional routes of the Fae.

But, everyone is a Changeling, Partial Human, Part Fae. If they didn't have the "human" part in it. Their Fae Mein wouldn't be as general as it is.

That's the reason for their general looks. Due to what happened in the past, it forced them to take familiar shapes and over time, their Fae Souls begin to erode with the rise in banality, they resulted in adapting to shapes best suited for the "dream" they're based on.

So, the basis of General Appearance does stay and goes with each portion of the age of the Kithian's Fae Mein, but aside from the "general" looks, the actual Fae Mein is unique depending upon each type of Kithian.

As for the Technocracy being "evil" They're not. Just, missunderstood. Just like the majority of all things from the oWoD.

Only thing sofar being truly evil is the Earthbound.

But, as things go on the Fae discussion. They didn't -start- out as Kithian. They were one. Then came humanity. Which fucked up rythm all along and -forced- them into shapes.

Now if they all had no general appearance portion on Kithian, they would always be truly immortal, they wouldn't age, there would be no Kithian and well, they would be a True Fae instead of a Changeling.

An example. All Satyrs have horns and goat's lower half. That's right. But forcing all Satyrs to be nude, or wear skimpy clothes in their Fae Mein is -bad-.

General Appearances need to stay. That's all I want.

I can understand your point of view Zulo, but to me that is quite limiting. General appearances aren't leaving, they just aren't enforced. "Change", wanted and unwanted, Is going to be a very signifigant theme for both Mage and Changeling in this game, and I would like the rules to signify that. Characters will be able to look like whatever they like.

And I never said The Technocracy was evil, just that they'd play a lesser role in the Mage side then usual. The 'Technology is not evil' bit was a feeling I got from Changling more then Mage, and probably should have added it to the first list.

ZK

Which with me breaks the entire game as it is. Honestly. It's Changeling, not Dark Ages: Fae or Exalted: The Fair Folk. It's meant to be limiting as I stated before for reasons.

ZK

I guess I'm out of the game then. Too far fetched from their general appearance breaks the game.

Kithian are in fact races of Fae.

Creeper

Quote from: Zulokitty on October 18, 2005, 09:39:44 PM
Which with me breaks the entire game as it is. Honestly. It's Changeling, not Dark Ages: Fae or Exalted: The Fair Folk. It's meant to be limiting as I stated before for reasons.

I re-checked the core, and there was nothing about the sundering or the shattering that made kiths. But you probably have access to more books then I.

I can understand you disagreeing with a houserule, but it sounds like your saying it's wrongbadfun. I prefure to think that the base concepts of dreams, innocence and belief are more important to the game then appearance. I could understant it in, like, werewolf, but this is Changling, and there are a whole number of other fae and fae-like creatures in mythology all around the world.

I'm sorry you disagree, but it's good you voiced your objections now rather then when I made the game. Good luck in your endevors.

Muse

So do I need to hunt you up more players, boss? 

Ajoxer

I'm still here. Just have been a tad bit busy lately. Still interested, of course. ^_^ I don't mind there being changeability in the Fae Mien, because frankly, I'm probably still going to play pretty heavily towards stereotype. I'm thinking a male Snake Pooka, as per the Clanbook- Expensive, but so damn cool. ^_^

Probably going to skirt the edge between Seelie and Unseelie, and would likely go out of his way to make contact with the mages, though he might not be the most social of people...
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!