Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader - The Colony of Rain

Started by LisztesFerenc, December 14, 2014, 12:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisztesFerenc

I found a copy on scribed.com, it looks good, you can use it if you want. How would your character have ended up on a Rogue Trader vessel?

Jaded

I'm not entirely sure. 

The first idea that comes to mind is that she was sent with a few others to scout the region, only to find travel difficult at best.  They eventually found themselves stranded on a planet and under siege from, someone (chaos?).  By the time the rogue trader arrived, she was the only one still alive.  As she wanted to continue her scouting and bring back useful information (and maybe sway a few to the greater good), she signed on as a (relatively) safe and easy way to travel around and gather information.

If it is easier, (and you allow unlinked choices on the origin path), my other thought for a character was:

Penal World
Vaunted
New Horizons (Xeno-Arcanist) (200xp)
Ship-Lorn
Vengeance
Arch-Militant

She was born to the Warden's Family on a Penal World. 
She took to the Void after encountering, and becoming fascinated with, a group of aliens who crashed on the planet (Eldar?).
She was captaining a small ship that was attacked by the ? (Inquisition?), who thought the ship was being used to smuggle prisoners offworld (or due to her associating with xeno-scum).
She was sworn vengeance against the ? (Inquisition?) for destroying her ship and leaving her trapped on a nasty world for years.
She was rescued by the Rogue Trader, and has served on the ship since.

TheGlyphstone

If you're not capped out, I've got an Explorator fully developed and written out, for a RT game on E that collapsed shortly after starting. All I would have to do is spend the bonus XP you're providing.

Wargtass

Just bought the Navis Primer PDF and goddamn, why haven't I bought this before? It has a lot of very in depth articles on Psykers and Navigators that would have made for very interesting GM ideas back when I GM'd.

Also, hi Glyph!
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Wargtass on December 16, 2014, 03:29:51 AM
Just bought the Navis Primer PDF and goddamn, why haven't I bought this before? It has a lot of very in depth articles on Psykers and Navigators that would have made for very interesting GM ideas back when I GM'd.

Also, hi Glyph!

Friendly faces all around, it seems.

deadmanshand

I'm starting to put together ideas for an Astropath looking for a corrupted Explorator that has tormented and experimented on him and other psykers. A long and twisted story - that may simply be a product of my currently sleep deprived and overly medicated mind - involving torture, experimentation, and obsession. A little bit of genetic manipulation, a jot of exposure to diabolical machinae, and hint of warp tainted surgical procedures. Pretty standard fare. I'm thinking going with Telepathy and Theosophamy but I'm not sure. I need to sit down and read the abilities more thoroughly than I've had the chance to. I'll have more time to flesh it out after I get off work tomorrow and have a day off.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Jaded on December 16, 2014, 01:57:41 AM
I'm not entirely sure. 

The first idea that comes to mind is that she was sent with a few others to scout the region, only to find travel difficult at best.  They eventually found themselves stranded on a planet and under siege from, someone (chaos?).  By the time the rogue trader arrived, she was the only one still alive.  As she wanted to continue her scouting and bring back useful information (and maybe sway a few to the greater good), she signed on as a (relatively) safe and easy way to travel around and gather information.

If it is easier, (and you allow unlinked choices on the origin path), my other thought for a character was:

Penal World
Vaunted
New Horizons (Xeno-Arcanist) (200xp)
Ship-Lorn
Vengeance
Arch-Militant

She was born to the Warden's Family on a Penal World. 
She took to the Void after encountering, and becoming fascinated with, a group of aliens who crashed on the planet (Eldar?).
She was captaining a small ship that was attacked by the ? (Inquisition?), who thought the ship was being used to smuggle prisoners offworld (or due to her associating with xeno-scum).
She was sworn vengeance against the ? (Inquisition?) for destroying her ship and leaving her trapped on a nasty world for years.
She was rescued by the Rogue Trader, and has served on the ship since.

Both of those concepts work. I allow unlinked origin path progressions with a background story to justify them, and the one you provided does so.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 16, 2014, 03:18:54 AM
If you're not capped out, I've got an Explorator fully developed and written out, for a RT game on E that collapsed shortly after starting. All I would have to do is spend the bonus XP you're providing.

I'd put the cap at 7 crew, so you can just squeeze in.

Quote from: deadmanshand on December 16, 2014, 03:59:16 AM
I'm starting to put together ideas for an Astropath looking for a corrupted Explorator that has tormented and experimented on him and other psykers. A long and twisted story - that may simply be a product of my currently sleep deprived and overly medicated mind - involving torture, experimentation, and obsession. A little bit of genetic manipulation, a jot of exposure to diabolical machinae, and hint of warp tainted surgical procedures. Pretty standard fare. I'm thinking going with Telepathy and Theosophamy but I'm not sure. I need to sit down and read the abilities more thoroughly than I've had the chance to. I'll have more time to flesh it out after I get off work tomorrow and have a day off.

Sounds fun. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, and hope that your more rested and sober mind doesn't spoil the concept too much.

TheGlyphstone

Excellent.

Now, to be certain - the base book gives starting characters an additional 500 XP to spend freely. Your OP mentions that we get an additional 1000 XP. Is that on top of the base allotment (giving us 1,500 to spend after initial selections), or inclusive (giving us 1000 total)?

AndyZ

Going to withdraw.  I got some spectacularly pathetic rolls (nothing higher than a 13, most well below that) and have messed up too many games in the past with a poor character ending up ruining things for everyone else.

Good luck to you all.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Pumpkin Seeds

TheGlyphstone

7+25 = 34
9+25 = 36
18+25 = 43
14+25 = 39
16+25 = 41
14+25 = 39
7+25 = 32 15+25 = 40 (I forgot you get one re-roll)
8+25 = 33
17+25 = 42

Not a bad set of rolls, really. Four bombs, three top-ends, and two above averages - 118 points if I had bought it. Now I need to go reverse-engineer my previous sheet (was made with point buy) to get the actual bonuses.

Done! What is our starting profit factor? Can't roll for bonus Acquisitions without it.

------------------------------------------------

Malakai Nusz
Enginseer Prime

Home World: Forge World (Hesh, Calixus Sector)
Birthright: Contaminated Environs
Lure of The Void: Tainted - Mutant (Brute)
Trials and Travails: The Hand of War   
Motivation: Endurance
Career: Explorator

Character Sheet
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
WS: 37    Int: 53(x2)
BS: 34     Per: 39
S: 51       Wp: 36
T: 60        Fel: 30
Ag: 40

Soak: T6+A7 (A5 Head)
Wounds: 18
Fate Points: 2
Insanity: 2
Corruption: 0

Traits: Mechanicus Implants, Stranger To The Cult, The Face Of The Enemy

Talents: Basic Weapon Training (Universal), Hatred (Chaos Worshippers), Heavy Weapon Training (Flame), Logis Implant, Melee Weapon Training (Universal), Peer (Mutants), Resistance (Poisons), Technical Knock

Skills: Awareness (Per), Common Lore (Machine Cult) (Int), Common Lore (Tech) (Int), Forbidden Lore (Archeotech) (Int), Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus) (Int), Literacy (Int), Logic (Int), Speak Language (Explorator Binary) (Int), Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int), Speak Language (Tech-Lingua) (Int), Tech-Use (Int), Trade (Technomat) (Int).

Equipment: Boltgun, Combi-Tool, Cortex Implants (Good Craftsmanship), Data-Slate, Enforcer Light Carapace, Locke-Pattern Heavy Flamer (Good Craftsmanship) Injector, Micro-Bead, Multikey, Power Axe (Good Craftsmanship), Sacred Unguents, Subskin Armor, Void suit

Ranged Attack: Heavy Flamer (30m cone, S/-/-, 2d10+4 E, Pen 4, Clip 10, Reload 2 Full, Flame)
Ranged Attack: Boltgun +34 ( 90m, S/2/4, 1d10+5 X, Pen 4, Clip 24, Reload 1 Full, Tearing)
Melee Attack: Power Axe +42 (Melee, 1d10+12, Pen 7, Power Field, Unbalanced)
Armor: Enforcer Light Carapace (5 All) +Subskin Armor (2 Body, Arms, Legs)

XP Log:
+1000: Starting Allotment
-100xp: Advanced Origin (Contaminated Environ)
-200xp: Mutation (Brute)
-200xp: Cybernetic Upgrade (Cortex Implants)
-100 XP: Simple Toughness +5
-100 XP: Awareness Training
-100 XP: Simple Intelligence +5
-200 XP: Sound Constitution Talent (1)

At 2014-09-17 23:59:56, TheGlyphstone (uid: 4194) rolls: 1d10 Result: 3 - 2 Fate points
At 2014-09-18 00:02:23, TheGlyphstone (uid: 4194) rolls: 1d5 Result: 5 - Starting Wounds 5+(5x2)+1+1=17.
At 2014-09-18 17:03:08, TheGlyphstone (uid: 4194) rolls: 1d10 Result: 2 - Starting Insanity 2
BS 7+25 = 34
Will 9+25 = 36
Int 18+25 = 43+5=48
T 14+25 = 39+16=55
S 16+25 = 41+10=51
Per 14+25 = 39
Agi 15+25 = 40
Fel 8+25 = 33-3=30
WS 17+25 = 42-5=37
Origin Path Deviation:  Hand of War -> Endurance -> Explorator

Bio

"I was born amongst the slag pits of Hesh. A holy jewel of the Machine, but not a world for the weak. Those who survive on Hesh are strong and tough - not as tough as the Machine, but as close as Man's flesh can achieve. I cheated, for I was born flawed. Too close to the poisons and cast-off chemicals of the foundry lakes, my flesh at birth was poisoned. I grew too fast, too tall, too wide. It was clear that I was a mutant, less than human, filth that belonged amongst man no more than the cast-off poisons of the slag pits belonged in the holy and sacred metals they had been purified out of. Yet I knew my soul was pure, for I was a child of the Lathes. No corrupt spirit could endure the cleansing heat of the forge, and I would cleanse myself with steel."

"I sought membership in Hesh's militias, amongst the regiments of Skitarii. There, my impure strengths could be put to use, either to kill the enemies of the Machine God or to die in its name. I marched to war, to battle those who rejected the purity of Machine and instead sold their flawed and fragile souls into the service of Darkness. Many I found to be outwardly similar to my own misshapen form, but where my body was proof of the innate weakness of Flesh, theirs was a reflection of the rot within their souls. Amongst the soldiers of the Tech-Guard, I was best suited to carry the flamethrowers we used to purify the bodies of the heretics and cleanse their taint from the ground they had walked upon. I showed my valor in those years, my intelligence, and most importantly of all, my faith. The Magi came and took me away from my officers; I was wasted as a common Skitarii, but I would never be accepted as an officer. Rather, I was destined for induction into the Machine God's deepest secrets, inducted into the ranks of the Adepts."

"More long years passed, in which I was educated in great and weighty matters. It soon became clear to me the test I had been set; by starting me so far behind even a typical Adept of the Machine, I was destined for even greater fortune and service. Piece by piece, I would seek to replace my impure body with blessed metal, for the flesh was weak where the spirit was not. I would be assigned as Explorator, master of engines aboard a Rogue Trader's flagship. I would go beyond the Imperium's borders, where none stood to condemn me for my corruption while I had yet to tear it loose."

ChaoticSky

theres no roll for starting acquisitions, just exrare or equivalent, PF has no effect.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on December 16, 2014, 08:46:26 PM
theres no roll for starting acquisitions, just exrare or equivalent, PF has no effect.

Check the OP again. I'm not talking about the single free auto-acquisition, but the two bonus attempts we are allowed. That is affected by PF.

ChaoticSky

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on December 16, 2014, 08:58:44 PM
Check the OP again. I'm not talking about the single free auto-acquisition, but the two bonus attempts we are allowed. That is affected by PF.
Ooh, my mistake, missed that.

Honestly im so used to people making that mistake that i go on autopilot  -_-

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Darkling on December 17, 2014, 12:05:09 AM
Ooh, my mistake, missed that.

Honestly im so used to people making that mistake that i go on autopilot  -_-

And despite all the 40K games we've played together. :'(

Jaded

I think she is a bit weaker than an Arch-Militant would be, but I kind of like how she turned out (even if I'd like to have grabbed a few more skills  :'( )

The Drone Controller entry says that they are usually assigned 1+ drones.  Would that be possible?

Shas’Ui Tash’var Tia’ris’ hunter cadre was originally assigned to the Koronus Expanse to investigate rumours of a distant Kroot world.  The goal, if at all possible, was to bring the world back to the Greater Good.  As a side mission, they were tasked with gathering as much information about the region, and the species in it, as possible. 

The mission, far from Tau space, quickly took a difficult turn.  Her cadre found itself struggling simply to navigate the region without eliciting a hostile and violent reaction.  It was nearly impossible to gather any useful information, or track down the Kroot world.  Frustrated, they stopped on what they thought was an unremarkable world unpopulated by any sentient to gather supplies.

The cadre’s ship was destroyed in orbit, but managed to ram the Chaos ship that had caught it unaware.  The Chaos ship, disabled and in a decaying orbit, evacuated to the surface where ‘Tia’ and a few others were performing their mission.  The encounter between the two forces was largely an accident, but once they had the scent of the Tau, the Chaos forces had no intention of allowing them to leave alive.

What followed was a siege, with the Tau setting up a defensive position on a small mountain to try and ward off the numerically superior Chaos forces.  It was during the final push that help arrived in the form of a Rogue Trader.  They found Tia still in her foxhole, her comrades dead around her, firing upon a swarm of cultists who were advancing over the corpses of their brethren. 

Tia was saved, though no other Tau survived the battle.  She saw an opportunity, when they hinted that she might have a place on the ship, to complete her mission.  She could gather information in relative safety, even travel through the Imperium of Man with less risk, and hopefully eventually find the Kroot world. 

Shas'Ui Tash'var Tia'ris
Veteran Softsight
'Tia'

CHARACTERISTICS
WS:  36 [3]  BS: 54 [5]
S:   36 [3]  T:  42 [4]
A:   49 [4]  I:  46 [4]
P:   44 [4]  W:  39 [3]
Fel: 35 [3]

Soak: 10 (4+6)
Wounds: 15
Fate: 1
Insanity: 0
Corruption: 0

SKILLS
Awareness (Per), Common Lore (Tau Empire) (Int), Concealment (Agi), Dodge (Agi), Logic (Int), Literacy (Int), Silent Move (Agi), Speak Language (Tau, Low Gothic) (Int), Tech-Use +10 (Int)

TALENTS
Fire Caste Weapon Training - Proficient all Tau weaponry
Marksman - No penalties to BS tests at long or extended range
Rapid Reload - Halves reload times (half->free, full->half)
Supporting Fire - When enemy charge within 20m, spend reaction to make ranged attack at -20
Unshakeable Faith - Reroll any failed willpower tests to avoid effects of fear

TRAITS
Classified Competence, Precise Hunter - Allied Tau can skip determine hit location
For The Greater Good! - Once per encounter, +10 to test when following order from a Tau, +30 if places in substantional danger to benefit group
Non-Imperial - -10 on all common lore, forbidden lore, scholastic lore relating to imperium
Speak Not Unto the Alien - -20 on all fellowship tests when dealing with humans who are not familiar.  -2 morale to ship.

Medical Attention: -10 to tests made by humans to heal Tau
Tau and Corruption: Gain corruption points, no malignancies or mutations
Tau and Insanity: Suffer insanity points as normal, modify as necessary

GEAR
Good Craftsmanship Pulse Carbine
        60m, S/-/3, 2d10+2 E, 4 Pen, 24 Clip, Full Rld, Gyro-Stabilised, Reliable
    w/Underbarrel Grenade Launcher (as Mezoa launcher)
        80m, S/-/-, *, *, 1 Clip, Half Rld, *
Best Craftsmanship Pulse Pistol
        40m, S/2/-, 2d10+2 E, 4 Pen, 16 Clip, Half Rld, Gyro-Stabilised
        No jamming or overheating
3 Tau Photon Grenades
        SB*3m, S/-/-, -, -, -, -, Blast (12)
Tau Combat Armour
    w/inbuilt micro-bead, translator unit, blacksun filter
    AP6 All, Dark Sight, Photon Flash Immunity

Good Craftsmanship Drone Controller (max 2 drones at once)
    w/Longshot Pulse Rifle Drone
      WS22, BS22, S30, T45, AG40, INT15, PER35, WP30, FEL08
      Movement: 6/12/18/36, Wounds: 12, Armour: Machine (4 All), TB: 4
      Skills: Awareness (Per), Dodge (Ag) +10
      Traits: Dark Sight, Hoverer (6), Machine (4), Size (Scrawny)
       200m, S/2/-, 2d10+3 E, Pen 4, CLip 12, Reload 2 Full, Accurate, Tearing
      Must be within 50 meters of controller or only gets half action
    w/Markerlight Drone
       Full Action, Routine (+20) BS Test to illuminate target. 
       Marked until start of next turn, all friendly attacks against target
        benefit as from the full action aim. 
    w/Shield Drone
       2m sphere, protection rating 45 (against attacks > 2m away), overload 1-10

EXPERIENCE (6000 Earned, 50 Unspent)

100 for Simple Ballistic
250 for Trained Ballistic
100 for Simple Perception
100 for Simple Intelligence
100 for Awareness
100 for Speak Language (Low Gothic)
200 for Concealment
200 for Silent Move
300 for Tech Use +10

Free Acquisition, Drone Controller

ROLLS
Wounds
At 2014-12-17 01:34:48, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 1d5 Result: 5
Characteristics
At 2014-12-16 22:22:30, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 14
At 2014-12-16 22:22:34, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 16
At 2014-12-16 22:22:38, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 19
At 2014-12-16 22:22:40, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 7
At 2014-12-16 22:22:43, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 17
At 2014-12-16 22:22:45, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 10
At 2014-12-16 22:22:50, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 11
At 2014-12-16 22:22:53, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 16
At 2014-12-16 22:22:55, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 19
At 2014-12-16 22:24:45, Jaded (uid: 39556) rolls: 2d10 Result: 14 (reroll)

Wargtass

Alright, this is what I smashed together mechanics wise so far, only missing starting acquisitions, Navigator stuff and the rolls themselves, so we'll see where that lands by lunch time.

Home World: Noble Born
Birthright: Savant
Lure of the Void: Zealot - Favored of the Faithful
Trials & Travails: Dark Voyage
Motivation: Prestige
Career: Navigator

T: -8
WIL: -5
FEL: +13

Insanity: +1d5
+1 Profit Factor

Etiquette

Vendetta

Skills: Awareness, Common Lore (Navis Nobilite), Forbidden Lore (Daemonology, Navigators, Warp), Literacy, Logic, Navigation (Stellar, Warp), Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Astromancy), Secret Tongue (Navigator, Rogue Trader), Speak Language (High and Low Gothic), Trade (Astrographer.

Talents: Navigator, Peers (Nobility, Astropaths, Ecclesiarchy), Pistol Weapon Training (Universal), Resistance (Fear), Talented (Awareness),

Gear: Best Craft. hellpistol, Best Craft. metal staff, Best Craft. xeno-mesh armour, Emperor's tarot deck, silk headscarf, Nobilite robes, charm, micro-bead.

200 Resistance Fear
100 Awareness
100 Trade (Astrographer)
100 Secret Tongue (Navigator)
100 Secret Tongue (Rogue Trader)
100 Ciphers (Nobilite Family)
100 Simple Advance (+5 Intelligence)
100 Simple Advance (+5 Perception)
100 Simple Advance (+5 Willpower)

As for the concept I went for the sociable noble elite type character that could navigate (see what I did thar?) our socially awkward novice Rogue Trader through the minefield that is Imperium political intrigue. Alright, back to work until lunch!
O/O

deadmanshand

After some much needed rest (I'm in recovery from a very nasty virus induced hospital trip early this week) I'll get my character up later today.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: AndyZ on December 16, 2014, 03:16:09 PM
Going to withdraw.  I got some spectacularly pathetic rolls (nothing higher than a 13, most well below that) and have messed up too many games in the past with a poor character ending up ruining things for everyone else.

Yeah, you can reroll the whole lot. Also you get one free reroll (not that it would have helped for those, but it may help on the second go).

Malakai Nusz - Looks good. I think that's the closest I've ever seen a human get to the toughness of an orc. You lose points for having unnatural intelligence though.

Tia - I like her. She can have 3 drones, but can only use two at a time with the same Drone Controller. However you will need to decide in advance whether they are equipped with a weapon (and if so which one), a markerlight or a shield generator (unless I missed something).

Good character concepts so far, keep them coming.

As far as Profit Factor goes, all of the options for starting PF and SP give a combined total of 90. Rather than have you roll, I will simply give you 90 ships point (+/- whatever your origin path gives you, treating PH as SP for the purpose of this) and then convert any unspent SP to PF once the ship is finished.

And ShadowFox89, you are the 8th player to express interest in the game, which is a bit much, so unless someone drops out I don't think there would be room for you.

TheGlyphstone

Awwww...I like points.

Frankly, I just took it because I could. Unnatural Intelligence is probably the least-useful trait to be Unnatural; very few Int tests are opposed, there's like 2 abilities in the entire game where your Int bonus matters directly (one of which I can't get in my career progression without an Elite Advance), and the rest of the time it's just +1 DoS.

Jaded

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on December 17, 2014, 04:50:31 AM
Tia - I like her. She can have 3 drones, but can only use two at a time with the same Drone Controller. However you will need to decide in advance whether they are equipped with a weapon (and if so which one), a markerlight or a shield generator (unless I missed something).

I did notice after that there is a "Drone Handler" Alternate Career, which mentions that

QuoteOther Requirements: To become a Drone Handler, a member
of the Fire caste must display an aptitude for technology and
undergo the proper training to guide and coordinate the
actions of one or more drones on the battlefield

so I am not sure if she is supposed to have that career before she can have any drones?  Or it is just mean to make them better with drones.   ???  Since that is the only mention of a requirement to use drones that I have noticed. 

If she can still have drones, she would probably have a markerlight drone, and a longshot pulse rifle drone, the last would either be the twin-carbine or shield.  I'm trying to figure out the use of the shield drone (she has to stand behind it?)

TheGlyphstone

Shield drones are spherical force field generators on hover-lifts. If they are physically blocking a shot from hitting you, someone needs to go slap their programmer.

Jaded

;)  It mentions that battlesuits gain a Protection Rating of 40, but doesn't mention if drones can extend their coverage to others.  A quick search showed discussions (for the miniatures game) that said it only protected the drone, but I wasn't sure if that carries over.