Digital antennas

Started by Azy, October 18, 2021, 09:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azy

My mom/landlord is looking for ways to cut costs.  One of her ideas was to cut down the ridiculously expensive cable bill.  I don't actually watch the cable much, I usually turn on Netflix or Hulu.  So she might see about just getting internet.  What I do watch on cable is on local channels, ABC mostly.  For whatever the hell reason, only Hulu+ live TV seems to have ABC.  Just that might save her some money, but I know local channels used to be broadcast for free and could be picked up with rabbit ears.  Several years ago everything went digital though, and I've heard that you can get digital antennas that stick to a window.  What I would like to know is how well they work.  I'm in an area where cell service isn't always the best.  Does this work differently?     

Oreo

My brother uses one and we don't get cell service out here in the hills. It can get dodgy when the weather is really bad. He does get his news station and two other channels. They do work, just very limited in what you can watch.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Azy

Okay, thanks.  So it would kind of be like satellite? 

Oreo

Much like it, but it only picks up stations in your area.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Thesunmaid

I actually use a couple of web sites

https://ustvgo.tv/

It lets us watch live tv on a bunch of different channels...best part is its free and it has a tv guide to show you whats playing on each channel. Hubs uses this alot to watch hockey and such

another free website is this

https://tubitv.com/home

(you can make a log in for this site but its mostly to save where you left off on a show if you have been watching a series or something or if you want to look on a list of what you have already watched)

Not 100% new things but there are shows up to 2020 and some early 2021 on there and some old shows that sometimes are harder to find to stream. I have not had cable in..probably almost 7 years now and I don't regret it a bit.

but both of those sites are free
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Azy

Cool, thanks.  I think Tubi is one the apps on my roku, and I see some good shows on there.  The only think I don't see is my local news. 

Oniya

You might check to see if the local news has a streaming setup on their own website?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

RainyHigh

Quote from: Thesunmaid on October 19, 2021, 07:39:08 PM
I actually use a couple of web sites

https://ustvgo.tv/

It lets us watch live tv on a bunch of different channels...best part is its free and it has a tv guide to show you whats playing on each channel. Hubs uses this alot to watch hockey and such

another free website is this

https://tubitv.com/home

(you can make a log in for this site but its mostly to save where you left off on a show if you have been watching a series or something or if you want to look on a list of what you have already watched)

Not 100% new things but there are shows up to 2020 and some early 2021 on there and some old shows that sometimes are harder to find to stream. I have not had cable in..probably almost 7 years now and I don't regret it a bit.

but both of those sites are free

OMG this is amazing. I've shared it with my mother who's been using sling. >.<
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Thesunmaid

Quote from: RainyHigh on October 21, 2021, 06:46:30 PM
OMG this is amazing. I've shared it with my mother who's been using sling. >.<

I am glad you like it. There are all kinds of free streaming sites if you look for them. Like I said I have not had cable in years and I don't miss it once bit.

And Azy...you might want to look either on youtube or like Oniya said they might have their news on a website.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: Caught up (holy shit) Current Status for RP:looking for a few

Kakihara

There are multiple different strengths of digital antennas and depending on the clear sight it might have can effect reception.  I was looking into it a few years back when local cable began to scramble their signal for local channels so you couldn't see them without a box, previously you could with a digital tv.  But review most of the info I wouldn't have been able to get the big city's channels so it seemed a waste.  I think most come in three strengths if I remember.  A good first place to check is here:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

It gives you general broadcast range and a google search will get you some more info on best products and such as well.

Azy

No ABC.  Fox of course....