13th Warrior Style Game, per Requests.

Started by Mnemaxa, March 09, 2009, 01:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mnemaxa

I've had a number of people ask me to run a game.  so, in the hopes of getting my feet wet and seeing how easy it will be to run a game in this venue, I offered to take Apple of Eris' 13th Warrior style game and run it for her. 

This game will be run in a freeform style.  I will post for it every 2 days, more or less, but will tolerate posting every few days by my players, with a minimum of once a week. 

The game will be semi-historically based; 'magic' per se will not exist as the fantastic powers that people are used to, but it will exist in the form of shamanism, visions, and half-mad mystics who know some medicine and herbalism.  It will be gritty and dark, for the most part, but there will be moments of bright hope and beauty in it, if the players look for and find them.

I run my freeform games slightly differently than most.  I go for dramatic effect more than anything else, and I will dictate physical situations in certain circumstances: specifically, your characters will get injured and hurt in combat.  It will only happen as dramatically appropriate, and the characters will never be maimed or injured....unless the player and I have discussed it at length.  This semi-power play would only apply to physical things such as climbing cliffs, fighting monsters and people, and other purely physical scenarios, not how your characters themselves acts or what they do or feel or think.

Another oddity is how I deal with NPCs.  Every single person your characters meet is a flesh out, fully developed character in her/her/its own right.  It is entirely possible to develop rapports and relationships with one or more of them...and to have them die in terrible manners or develop drama with them.

The story would center on rumors and incidents of vicious man beasts occurring in villages near to the one the players are near or come from.  It would be roughly a Viking or Native American or similarly low tech, tightly knit community, with a few barbarian loners thrown in.  I will accept no more than two mystically minded players, who should suffer a bit of stigma for being touched by the gods or their witchcrafty ways.  I will accept also no more than two outsiders from the village, be they barbarian or lone hunters or warriors.

Anyone interested in trying?

Roles Taken:
Vikings:
-SinXAzgard21
-RubySlippers
-The Golden Touch
-
-
Mystics:
-
-Valerian
Barbarians/Outsiders
-Apple of Eris
-Sarissa

I have enough people I'll start on the background work for you all. 

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

SinXAzgard21

Me and TGT are interested in this.  I can take a roll as one of the vikings if you would like and I am sure TGT can inform you of what roll she would like to take.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Mnemaxa

Quote from: karmatrik on March 09, 2009, 01:55:37 AM
I'll try this out, probably. Lemme watch the movie first. :P

Okay.  The book is pretty good as well, but the movie was extraordinarily well done.

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Cuffs

I'm a huge fan of that movie, and I have to agree, it's one of the best movies of its type.  Excellent dark feel to it, with bits of humor, happiness, etc.

As for char type, I can be one of the crazy mystics.  If allowed to do so, I think I'd be a rather violent sort, the kind that reads signs in the particular way violence happens, whether it be the bloodspatter on a wall, the ragged flesh of a fallen comrade/enemy, etc.  If not, I'll think of something else.
Zombie Bunnies:  Terrible...Hideous...Fluffy...

FYI: I've been gone for a while...so please, don't be surprised if I don't remember something...

Ons/Offs (New and Improved)

A/A(Temporary)

RubySlippers

I'm game I will like to play a former slave who saved the King from some attack and was freed and given a viking name ,Sylgja, over her Christian one and will be an archer and for a woman a pretty good fighter. So would be assimilated and likely accepted as a Viking at this point since more of her life was spent among them. And would be versed in the womanly arts including healing, tending a home, singing and playing the lap harp and maybe falconry but small female sorts of birds for that. In other words a hell of a Viking woman worth trying to impress to bad she favors other women as bedmates, her slave Ursala at this time. She will be part of the King's Household in some suitable capacity.

Mnemaxa

I have no problems with that, RubySlippers. Do you have someone to play Ursula or will she be an NPC? 

Adan:  Sounds acceptable.  You may expect to have seizures and momentary lapses of reason as well - touched by the gods means Touched By The Gods in ancient history...but the GM will reward you with gifts from said gods in the form of helpful visions and secret knowledge.

Hunter

Quote from: karmatrik on March 09, 2009, 01:55:37 AM
I'll try this out, probably. Lemme watch the movie first. :P

Forget the movie.  READ THE BOOK!

Hunter

Quote from: karmatrik on March 09, 2009, 01:02:39 PM
Huh? What is "reading?"

It's what you do when there's nothing on tv, your significant other is at work, all the chores are caught up, and... (You know, I'm not sure)   :-*

The book is called "Eaters of the Dead", btw.

Apple of Eris

Hunter: After the movie came out, didn't they re-release the book as The 13th Warrior? *swears I saw it like that at Barnes & Noble way back when*

Oh, and I'm playing a Barbarian/Outsider. Still working on the details!
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

HairyHeretic

That might have been the book of the film, rather than the original book itself.

I'd like to play this, possibly as the other mystic since I actually do work with the futhark runes, but me and motivation don't seem to be on speaking terms at present :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Hunter

Quote from: Apple of Eris on March 09, 2009, 03:55:19 PM
Hunter: After the movie came out, didn't they re-release the book as The 13th Warrior? *swears I saw it like that at Barnes & Noble way back when*

Oh, and I'm playing a Barbarian/Outsider. Still working on the details!

If they did, I didn't bother to look it up.  Besides, I tend to prefer the original.   ^-^

Apple of Eris

Eh, maybe I AM crazy *shrug* either way it's a good tory, movie or book.

Though I think antonio banderas is dead sexy, so to me, movie FTW!
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Valerian

I can take the other mystic if Hairy doesn't want it, though I only know a little about rune casting.  But I love researching things.   :-)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

HairyHeretic

My rune readings have been called 'scarily accurate'  ;D

Given my state at the moment as regards motivation, you're welcome to take the role.

I can be an on set advisor ;)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Mnemaxa

I adjusted the roster to reflect the newest additions.

It won't be completely historically accurate, perhaps, but it should be interesting and a fair mix of historics and dark gothic fantasy.

SinXAzgard21

Me and Goldie share a comp right now so she said that she would like to be a Viking.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

The Golden Touch

So, question... how exactly are we doing profiles?  Profile skeletons or introductions?

And a suggestion- when fighting player character against player character it might be best to use a dice roller to prevent god-moding.  If it comes to player against player that is.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Mnemaxa

Quote from: The Golden Touch on March 10, 2009, 01:50:26 AM
So, question... how exactly are we doing profiles?  Profile skeletons or introductions?

And a suggestion- when fighting player character against player character it might be best to use a dice roller to prevent god-moding.  If it comes to player against player that is.

If it comes to player versus player I'll have done something wrong, I'm sure.  In that instance, it would be a simple roll off, with both players sending their rolls to me.

I'll put together a simple profile setup, with space for introductions.  You will all be members of the same settlement for the most part, with the outsiders being the ones bearing news and being offered reward for their help in this dire matter.  Adan and Valerian will need to send me details on how they want their mystics to work; Adan has given me some detail, but the more you can give me, the more I can fit you in. 

You may also want to consider which of the gods of the Norse your characters find to their liking; Rubyslippers would most likely be the Vanir Freya, especially after breaking with her Christian beliefs and preferring women....

The Golden Touch

Sin says:  Yes, one city/township will focus on one god/goddess... but like the Greeks, they pray to multiple gods for different things. Examples:  For war they pray to Odin and Tyr.  For inspiration for music/art it is also Odin.  In relevance, they pray to all the gods, but they worship Odin above all- the all-father. 

I'll figure out what I want my character to do. ^ ^

Sarissa

I am interested in taking up the last outsider role, should you still need one. My posting is limited until next week, but I have a few ideas for character concepts.

I can PM these to you later, should I be accepted.
“Though dreams can be deceiving, like faces are to hearts, they serve for sweet relieving, when fantasy and reality lie too far apart.”

A little more on me (O/O)

Mnemaxa

All right Sarissa.  You can PM them whenever you like. 

The Golden Touch

So are we going to start after we get all roles?  What's the plan?

Sarissa

QuoteI have enough people I'll start on the background work for you all.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:42:32 AM by Mnemaxa

Looks like we should be seeing something from him very soon  ;)
“Though dreams can be deceiving, like faces are to hearts, they serve for sweet relieving, when fantasy and reality lie too far apart.”

A little more on me (O/O)

Mnemaxa

the outline for characters is simple enough.  Don't post them here - this is for your own use.  I'll make a thread shortly.  The main question will be location; I was thinking Ex if only due to the graphic nature of what will be dealt with, more than the sexuality of those involved.

Description:

Personality:

Deities revered:  This section is more specifically if your character has any deity they specifically revere above others.  The Villa - Hrothgunsen's Holdt - the main group of you will be starting at reveres Magni, son of Thor, God of Strength; naturally there will be others, but the Holdt is well known as being a place for the strong to survive, as it is in the lee of a mountain, and thus colder and less forgiving a place to live than many. 

I'll give a basic background post shortly

Mnemaxa

Draugararkvida: The Lay of Ghosts

Here is the OOC; the character thread can be reached here or through the OOC.

I can accept two more players; beyond that I may start refusing.  The premise of the game will be in the OOC section, rather than the Saga which will be for the roleplay only.