The Summer of '55 (Take 2)

Started by Blinkin, June 30, 2013, 01:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

It’s June, 1955 in a sleepy little community in mid-west America. School has just let out for the summer vacation and the days are turning hot and lazy in the humid air.

While race relations are starting to flare in the south, the aftershocks of Korea still resonate in many families. The Red Menace still holds its sway of fear as the cold war continues after the detonation of the first Hydrogen Bomb less than a year before. The hints of a new conflict begin to rise as the first “Advisers” go to South Vietnam just a few weeks ago… Where IS Vietnam anyway?

The papers report McDonalds opens in Dayplain, Ill… not that far away and the first non-segregated school year has just ended.

But, all of this has little bearing on the lives of a group of close friends faced with more than 2 months of freedom from school and most of the responsibilities of life… when a slow moving river on the edges of town calls and lazy days of summer promises so much. A summer that may hold a change for all of them in ways that no one could have imagined… and a sexual awaking that not even their parents could have imagined.

It’s a time that clings tenaciously to it’s morality, prosperity and innocence while the first hints of the sexual revolution is starting to make it’s presence felt  in the coming years. A time when a group of teenagers might take a step away from “the path” and into a bold new world of self exploration and friendships that might last forever.

Thank you for getting this far. I want to invite you to partake in a story set in a time of change, of turmoil, and of exploration. The characters, if any appear, would be teenagers (16-18) and know each other through various means. They have grown together for many reasons and those bonds will be what will allow them to take the first steps into taboo lands and the secrets of adulthood. Sexual encounters will happen, but the story is about the characters growing and evolving as a result of what they learn from, and teach each other… of the naughty steps into something that can be both wonderfully fulfilling and terrifying at the same time.

I’m looking for 3 to 5 players to fill these roles; an equal number of male and female characters (Including myself) to take this journey.

A few Notes:

I’m only looking for dedicated players. If you cannot post 2 to 3 times a week, or can’t stick with it, this isn’t a story for you. This is the second attempt for this story and I don’t want to lose half of the group before the first week is out.

I don’t care what you play, but keep in mind the times. A Japanese looks very much like a Chinese, a Korean and anyone else from South-east Asia… and the Korean War is only 2 years old for many. Racism is alive and well, so be warned. The woman’s place is still in the home, with a few exceptions and equality is still on the horizon even for them.

I’m not looking for a bunch of teenagers who will go pairing off into couples. Rather, the experience would be more group oriented. Partners may change as often as the days of the week… maybe faster and Jimmy isn’t going to get bent out of shape if he sees Emmy-Lou kissing Dean…. Neither is Emmy-Lou going to get into a cat fight if she sees Samantha with her head in Jimmy’s lap… There may be “favorites,” “Crushes,” and eventual pairings in the future, but it’s going to be a lot more fun if it’s more like a puppy pile than if 3 different stories appear at the start and no one sees anyone else afterward.

There may be a 16 year old character. If you have a problem with this… not the story for you. E allows it and no one is going to pressure either me, or the other players to play 18 year olds. This IS High school, and a bunch of 19 and 20 year olds will be out of place.

I would not say that everyone is a total innocent… but no one has actually had sex. They have probably seen a naked woman in their father’s playboy, seen a penis from some diagram or in health class… but seeing a picture or something at a distance isn’t the same as seeing it up close and personal. Keep that concept up. Seeing your first living, breathing breast shouldn’t be an “Oh… hmmm… but a “Wow!” experience. Seeing your first erect penis might be a little scary, if fasenating.

If you’re interested in the idea, post here and if we have enough, I’ll post a basic character sheet at that point.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Strifesblaze7

Is there a point where nobody cares

Blinkin

That's my hope, at least. A bunch of horny teenagers trying to rebele a little against society and perhaps end up discovering something about themselves and each other.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Orval Wintermute

So kind of "Stand By Me" but with a little more skin?

Blinkin

Hmmm, only in some vague way. Rather than going on a journey to see a dead guy and learn about being a guy and about yourself, Summer of '55 is more about guys and gals learning about each other and in the process, themselves. No dead guys, and hopefully, no abuse in a REALLY small town.

Perhaps a little closer comparison might be Happy Days with a lot more action... and without the Fonz. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Strifesblaze7

Is there a point where nobody cares

Orval Wintermute

I didn't think there'd be any running over bridges trying not to get flattened by a train, but Happy Days sounds fun.
Just need to practice saying "aww, gee shucks" alot  ;D

Blinkin

Like I said, it's something like Happy Days in the early days only as a time frame reference. There are elements of Stand By Me in that the characters are more or less set apart from things and on their own... but I imagine a small town more like the HD setting, hardware stores, maybe a Drive-in theatre, a drive in diner, etc. Think something in the 10-15,000 population range.

Another possible source might be Pleasantville, if anyone has seen that. Definently some skin in that one. lol

In Stand By Me, I always got the impression of a much smaller community... This would be suburbia in home feel.

I do want a bit of a light hearted side of things; that would make it easier for the characters to interact. But, I don't want to avoid the grittier aspects that HD liked to do. Racism is out there, although not everyone is a racist, Women's lib is at best a pipe dream and while the world is ripe with the virgue of sexual explosions. ;)

So, it looks like there are at least 2 males (Unless one of you likes to play females). A third, depending on the final make-up... I'll fill whatever role is needed in the end.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ascia

Love the time period, sounds fun. =)

Palabra

Is this still open? I kinda have a hankering to play a beatnik.

Blinkin

Still open, although I would think that 1955 would be a bit early for the type.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ascia

Quote from: Blinkin on July 01, 2013, 04:42:46 AM
Still open, although I would think that 1955 would be a bit early for the type.

Kurouac termed the phrase 'Beat Generation' in '48, '49? Although I don't think 'beatnik' got coined until the late 50's.

I could play the suburban prep, and Palabra the off-centre Kurouac-worshipping girl?

Balance is nice, afterall. =) And I could see my character being attracted by the vast different nature of a girl like that.

Branwen

This is a fascinating idea and such a romantically idealized time period.  I would very much like to audition and have in mind a girl next door just like mom type. 

Blinkin

Well, it seems that we have our 6 then.

There is a point on the beatnik, so that's cool.

I would ask that everyone remember that the group are suppose to be close friends. This doesn't mean that they have to see eye-to-eye with each other or be a lot alike. There should be something in common that holds them together. This could be anything from hating Ms. Crabapple, the History teacher, to loving the same kinda movies or anything else that hits the fancy. Everyone should still have some thoughts, or views on the war, which has only been over about 2 years; nearly everyone has been effected in some way, big or small. The McCarthy trials are still recent memories and James Dean hasn't had his historic meeting with a car yet. I'm not opposed to racial divecity, but keep in mind the times regarding non-european stock. If you're japanese and grew up in town, you're usually ok, but if you haven't, you may not have a full acceptance. The average American can't tell the difference between a Korean, chinese, Japanese or phillipino. In the same way, a mexican is the same as a cuban, columbian or someone right off the range in Argintina. They may be considered second class citizens at best.

A basic character profile follows. I'm ignoring the usual formatting just to make things easy. History should just be what everyone would know about each other. Feel free to use a photo, but as I can't see them, you'll have to give me some physical details to work with as well.

Name:
Sex:
Personality:
History:

Anything you want to add?
On's:
Offs:
Absolute no's:
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Branwen

So Palabra, you're going the Bohemian / Beatnik route?  That'll be cool if you can make it work with the time period. I bet you can.

And Ascia, suburban prep?  Like, can you explain a bit more so I don't step on your character idea?

Orval Wintermute

Quote from: Blinkin on July 01, 2013, 12:06:31 PM
I'm not opposed to racial divecity, but keep in mind the times regarding non-european stock. If you're japanese and grew up in town, you're usually ok, but if you haven't, you may not have a full acceptance. The average American can't tell the difference between a Korean, chinese, Japanese or phillipino.

Not saying we have to stick rigidly to actual history but if the characters are 16 - 18 in 1955 and they are of japanese descent,, then there is a better than evens chance that they and their parents would have spent some time in one of the interment camps between 1942 and 1945

Branwen

That would add a major swinging meathook to the plot, wouldn't it?  Very creative!

I love you avi.  It's so cute!

Blinkin

Not saying we have to stick rigidly to actual history but if the characters are 16 - 18 in 1955 and they are of japanese descent,, then there is a better than evens chance that they and their parents would have spent some time in one of the interment camps between 1942 and 1945

Yes, the odds would be high for any Japanese families, and a family either returning after a 5-6 year absence, or appearing for the first time in 1946-47 might have a bit of a rough go of it at first. Add in the Korean issues and blood could run hot.

I am not saying that these are issues for a character to overcome; as a general rule, once a teenager fits into some group, they are pretty stable and kids tend to overlook racial issues if they aren't just overwhelmed with it. 1955 was a very different time though. I want to keep the light-hearted aspects and we'll try to minimize those elements among the characters.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

KatieSparks

I know you've already found your six players, but I love the idea... so perhaps I could get on the waiting list in case someone drops out? ;p

Blinkin

[
Quote from: KatieSparks on July 02, 2013, 11:26:47 AM
I know you've already found your six players, but I love the idea... so perhaps I could get on the waiting list in case someone drops out? ;p

Sure, someone almost always disappears in all group games. Unfortunately, the first attempt at this had more than half of the group disappearing all at once. *sighs* So, I'll keep you in ind.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Palabra

I don't see why not. I mean, On the Road was written in the early fifties and published in the late 50s, so that spirit of restless rebellion was clearly simmering in the mid-fifties.

I'm thinking my character would be a car guy. The son of a mechanic, he's spent his after hours fixing up his 1940 Dodge. He's dying to hit the open road and explore. He knows there's got to be more adventure, more excitement, just plain more out there, but he can never scrounge up the gas money or get the thing working well enough to feel comfortable on a long road trip. He adores jazz music but has no talent of his own to speak of. His art is in the gleam of a fender and the purr of an engine. He loves alcohol and reefer, but craves a new adventure of the mind as well as one on the asphalt. Cars, to him, represent a whole new world opening up before his eyes. Everything's about to change. He can feel it. He wants to have his foot firmly on the accelerator when it comes.

He'd be the "wheels" of the group, the guy who has the car and thus provides transportation. Consequently, he'd always be lobbying to go into the nearest larger city for live jazz, car expos, and maybe the occasional burlesque show.

Does this guy sound like a good fit?

Branwen

Reefer? But, but that stuff is dangerous!

(:

I hope there is room for Katie.

Blinkin

Quote from: Palabra on July 02, 2013, 12:51:20 PM
I don't see why not. I mean, On the Road was written in the early fifties and published in the late 50s, so that spirit of restless rebellion was clearly simmering in the mid-fifties.

I'm thinking my character would be a car guy. The son of a mechanic, he's spent his after hours fixing up his 1940 Dodge. He's dying to hit the open road and explore. He knows there's got to be more adventure, more excitement, just plain more out there, but he can never scrounge up the gas money or get the thing working well enough to feel comfortable on a long road trip. He adores jazz music but has no talent of his own to speak of. His art is in the gleam of a fender and the purr of an engine. He loves alcohol and reefer, but craves a new adventure of the mind as well as one on the asphalt. Cars, to him, represent a whole new world opening up before his eyes. Everything's about to change. He can feel it. He wants to have his foot firmly on the accelerator when it comes.

He'd be the "wheels" of the group, the guy who has the car and thus provides transportation. Consequently, he'd always be lobbying to go into the nearest larger city for live jazz, car expos, and maybe the occasional burlesque show.

Does this guy sound like a good fit?

He sounds fine, just remember that he's scrounging for gas money, the car may not always run quite right... or worse, crapping out in the middle of nowhere and so on. As you brought those items up, lets enjoy them.

As for the peep shows, once things get started, he might more than an eyefull in a way that will probably interest him more than trying to get into a strip club. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Palabra

Quote from: Branwen on July 02, 2013, 12:56:25 PM
Reefer? But, but that stuff is dangerous!

(:

I hope there is room for Katie.

Totally dangerous, Branwen. I hear it leads to madness! *wink*

Branwen