News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Inkidu's Resident Evil 5 Review

Started by Inkidu, March 29, 2009, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

This is a practice for school and to help me think objectively. This review will be spoiler free. You won't hear anything that will not be divulged in the opening cutscene.

Resident Evil 5 hit shelves a couple of weeks ago and I beat it in two days. So lets break this down.

Story: Honestly, the story is what you've come to expect from the folks at Capcom. I thought it was believable and tied the whole thing together quite nicely. I never found myself wanting for explaination that I couldn't find in a cutscene or document. It's a very good narrative for the game.

Chris Redfield is back (I know everyone knows this but I have to pretend you don't) he's gone Way Down to Africa. If I had to guess somewhere close to Morocco. I can't quite pin down the language. He is assigned to a anti-bioterrorism unit attached to the United Nations. Chris also seems to have worked out a lot. He's a lot more ripped than I remember. His partner for his stint in the Savannah is local Sheva Alomar (Quite honestly the smoking hottest female character I've ever seen.) They're obviously dealing with the fallout from Umbrella's collapse (I promised not to ruin five not four).

Graphics and Presentation: The game delivers it and then some putting you in a diabetic comma from the just phenomenal caliber of it all. The graphics are beautiful the voice acting and motion capture are top-notch. It is the best lip syncing I've seen in a a game from Japan. (I played Infinite Undiscovery to remind myself what bad looked like) the motions are fluid and often dynamic. Chris and his partner move with a real-world weightiness.

The presentation is also spot on. It's realistic and you can feel the heat. I know I did. I'm not going to go into the fear element in great detail because it's subjective. The only thing that scared me about Resident Evil games before four were how I was going to deal with these crappy controls. However, there is a large amount of constant tension in the game. Whether or not you're going to make it, blow your ammo on one guy, or manage to duck around some particular nasty bio-monstrosity.

Sound: I know I shoved a bit of voice over into graphics but lets hit it in earnest. The dialogue is at times predictable but neither stilted or poorly written. I believe many of the voice actors have returned to renew their rolls. (recent games Umbrella Chronicles, RE: 4 etc.) The music is what you've come to expect many scores make a reappearance. If I had one gripe some of the sounds for picking things up sound like the ones from Metal Gear Solid 3.

Game Play: Finally made it to the meat.

If you've played RE: 4 you know what to expect. You still cannot run and gun, adding to the realism of it. (Come on do you think someone can really shoot a sniper rifle while moving without knocking themselves flat on their backsides?)

The main, and most obvious, addition is the emphasis on cooperative game play. The game pushes this and pushes it well. Going so far as to offer a combo melee attack. Your partner's AI is some of the sharpest I've seen ever. They're know substitute for an experienced player but they do better than the new guy. The inventory system is also redone to reflect this emphasis. No longer do you have the merchant offering his ridiculous attache cases. You have nine squares per person and each of the cardinal directions on the D-pad are quick keys. Yep, no more inventory pause-- think fast!

You will often find yourself yelling at your partner to hand me the shotgun or pass me a grenade or ammo. It's quite enjoyable actually usually because you don't have to always babysit your partner. (I've often found myself saved by the computer.) However, they give you an unlimited third inventory. To hold anything you want.

RE: 5 has returned to standard of finding your weapons on the field instead of from a trench coated merchant. You'll instead go to the inventory screen upon death or starting the game back up.
Still attempting not to spoil. Resident Evil 5 has tons, tons of unlockables. Including one of my personal favorite mini-games of all time. It has a very high replay rate.

I would recommend this game to just about anyone. Especially one looking for a good solid game. RE: 5 is not without it's faults but it's so fun you probably won't care.

End my spoiler barrier. Read any other content on this thread at your own risk.

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

dafatkat

I just wish you could buy ammo from the vendor.  :-\
All human actions have one or more of these seven causes: chance, nature, compulsion, habit, reason, passion, and desire.

-Aristotle.

Inkidu

Quote from: dafatkat on March 30, 2009, 12:06:41 PM
I just wish you could buy ammo from the vendor.  :-\
You can for the grenade launcher. Weird right?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

saturnschild

I wish the same thing. I just play the first 2 levels with a friend an I complained about not having ammo the hold time....Thou most of it came from friend taking all of it but still not enough. But good game.
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

Inkidu

Quote from: saturnschild on March 30, 2009, 06:47:49 PM
I wish the same thing. I just play the first 2 levels with a friend an I complained about not having ammo the hold time....Thou most of it came from friend taking all of it but still not enough. But good game.
If all else fails, be the knife. Unlike four Chris's Dundee-caliber mini-machete is a venerable weapon.

saturnschild

The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.-Moulin Rouge
In a world ruled by the dead, we are forced to finally start living.- Walking Dead
And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him. - Johnny Cash

Ons and Offs saturn

Inkidu

Quote from: saturnschild on April 04, 2009, 07:49:48 PM
alligators shouldn't be that big.
That's because they're crocodiles and yes they can get that big.

saturnschild

That is ridiculous. I mean that is like the one thing that scared the crap out of me and more then any of the boss fights.

Ons and Offs saturn

Inkidu

SPOILER:

I can't believe Wesker's gone. *Sniff* he was hands down the best villain of all time.

SPOILER 

saturnschild

Ons and Offs saturn

Inkidu

saturnschild

Ons and Offs saturn

Inkidu

Quote from: saturnschild on April 04, 2009, 11:14:03 PM
It is okay
Besides we'll probably see clone Wesker in six or seven.

I'll tell you what though, those BSSA medals are hard to find. In my first play through I only found one. So I got the Game FAQs guide to help me out.

saturnschild

Same here only found one of those things.

Ons and Offs saturn

Kroduk

Seriously. Some of those things are laying down horizontally tucked into a space only large enough for the exact dimensions of the emblem. Wtf.
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
If I've got nowhere to go?
Search for seas of gold
How come it's got so cold?
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you
When it's me I can't forgive?

Inkidu

Quote from: Kroduk on April 06, 2009, 01:48:39 AM
Seriously. Some of those things are laying down horizontally tucked into a space only large enough for the exact dimensions of the emblem. Wtf.
Be the bullet, I know of one or two you have to have a rifle and a friend. The one in the marshes out on the air boat is the one you need the friend for. It makes it easier to get. The only one I found without looking was the one behind the Tri-Cell tents near the ruins.

Aragem

A really good game.  I loved having a partner helping me out in shootouts, watching my back when I grappled a enemy, was there with the health plants and ammo, had etra room in her inventory for extra items you can't bare to toss away, and was just there was companionship in what would have been an unnerving game. 

You did seperate from your partner at a few points, but they were brief seperations and you were back together in no time. 

Inkidu

I like giving Sheva the rifles because she'll actually use them, though your partner never uses grenades as far as I can tell. So I use her to hold my extras.
Spoiler:

What's neat is when you beat the game you can play as Sheva, with her own melee moves and such, and play all the parts the computer did for you.

End Spoiler:

saturnschild

Yes I have played that Inkidu, fun it is.

Ons and Offs saturn

Kroduk

I'd rather play with one of my friends and laugh as he freaks before I save him from being eaten alive at the last possible moment.

^^
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

saturnschild

I played like that with a friend when I first played it and he all ready play though it, and I was doing more saving then he was doing for me. I laugh because I nevered played a RE game before

Ons and Offs saturn

Doomsday

Just beat it today with my friend, very satisfying. The second to last chapter with the two mantis guys and the two minigun Majinis is very epic.

We were both very... frustrated with our first fight against the mantis. I think we died at most 17 times in one subchapter, and I think that was it.

Spoiler:
The Wesker bossfights lasts FOR FREAKING EVER

Inkidu

Quote from: HPDDJ on April 07, 2009, 02:52:03 AM
Just beat it today with my friend, very satisfying. The second to last chapter with the two mantis guys and the two minigun Majinis is very epic.

We were both very... frustrated with our first fight against the mantis. I think we died at most 17 times in one subchapter, and I think that was it.

Spoiler:
The Wesker bossfights lasts FOR FREAKING EVER
I hate those mantis Majini. I barely beat the last JJ with my pistol it was closer than I would have liked.

Kroduk

Guh. Reapers. Has anyone played through Mercenaries mode yet?
Ons and Offs

How can I be lost,
Search for seas of gold
How can I be lost?
In remembrance I relive.
And how can I blame you

Inkidu

I'm out of practice. I've only unlocked "The Mines" stage.