News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Because Hollywood hasn't violated our childhoods enough (Battleship movie)

Started by TheGlyphstone, July 28, 2011, 09:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

Hey, you're right. I didn't realize that either until you pointed it out.

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 06, 2011, 10:50:13 AM
Hey, you're right. I didn't realize that either until you pointed it out.
Authors are just Hollywood's ghost writers. I think there's a book, play, short story behind the majority of the work they do. I realized this when I found out Die Hard was based on a book.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

True enough - I just hadn't realized how many of Matheson's works I had actually encountered.  'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' is one of the more iconic Twilight Zone episodes, as is 'Button, Button' (later made into a movie, but it worked better as a short).  Then you have the movies 'What Dreams May Come', 'A Stir of Echoes', 'Somewhere in Time', 'Trilogy of Terror', 'Hell House' and 'I am Legend' (done three times).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Slaven

Quote from: Oniya on September 06, 2011, 03:24:08 PM
True enough - I just hadn't realized how many of Matheson's works I had actually encountered.  'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' is one of the more iconic Twilight Zone episodes, as is 'Button, Button' (later made into a movie, but it worked better as a short).  Then you have the movies 'What Dreams May Come', 'A Stir of Echoes', 'Somewhere in Time', 'Trilogy of Terror', 'Hell House' and 'I am Legend' (done three times).

Only more to prove that Hollywood has an extreme lack of originality..Really, come up with something of your own for a change!
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Inkidu

Quote from: Slaven on September 06, 2011, 07:37:15 PM
Only more to prove that Hollywood has an extreme lack of originality..Really, come up with something of your own for a change!
Eh, that's really not fair. Hollywood does manage to come out with new stuff, they've been doing screenplays from books since the earliest days in film. Birth of a Nation is arguably the most infamous film in American cinema, and it's based off the book, The Clansmen. The film came out around World War One.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TheGlyphstone

I know I'm picking deliberately slanted examples, but Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were both based off books, while Battle for L.A. was an original concept. You sure you want Hollywood to invent its own material? :D

Inkidu

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 06, 2011, 09:06:24 PM
I know I'm picking deliberately slanted examples, but Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were both based off books, while Battle for L.A. was an original concept. You sure you want Hollywood to invent its own material? :D
God, a world full of Avatars. No thank you. Of course, a book does not always guarantee a good movie. Twilight is a popular example. I wouldn't know. I don't read vampire literature.

Oniya

I could also mention 'Gone With the Wind', 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'The Shining', and 'Jaws'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Slaven

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on September 06, 2011, 09:06:24 PM

..On second thought, I'm not so sure...Thanks for pointing it out. :D
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on September 06, 2011, 09:51:18 PM
I could also mention 'Gone With the Wind', 'To Kill a Mockingbird', 'The Shining', and 'Jaws'.
Gone With the Wind is a good book and movie, so is To Kill a Mockingbird. The Shining is a great book, and despite Nicholson is a laughable movie. Jaws is probably a better movie than a book, and so is The Godfather.

NotoriusBEN

I have seen the trailer for the "Rock'em Sock'em Robots" Movie.

It stars Hugh Jackman, and is called "Real Steal"
God help me, Im almost compelled to go see it...

edit**

Gerard Butler to Hugh Jackman for correctness... coulda swore the trailer said gerard... :S

Inkidu

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 09, 2011, 12:53:37 AM

It stars Gerard Butler, and is called "Real Steal"
Hugh Jackman, not Butler. That's the name I keep seeing.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 09, 2011, 12:53:37 AM

It stars Gerard Butler, and is called "Real Steal"

And as mentioned above, it's based off a short story that was turned into a Twilight Zone episode. That's a heck of a lot more grounds for 'decent movie' than the premise of the thread at least.

Torch

Sometimes Hollywood does deliver. One quick example would be the ending to "The Mist". Yes, based on a Stephen King story, but with a much more bleak ending. In fact, I believe King was interviewed when "The Mist" was released, and he stated that he admired the new ending and wished he had thought of it for his original story.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Wolfy

Seen the trailer for Real Steel?

It's Rock'Em Sock'em Robots. The Movie.

Torch

Quote from: Wolfy on September 09, 2011, 08:24:08 AM
Seen the trailer for Real Steel?

It's Rock'Em Sock'em Robots. The Movie.

Oniya brought it up earlier in the thread:

Quote from: Oniya on September 05, 2011, 06:44:17 PM
Just saw this advertised:

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots!

(Okay, that's not the real title, but seriously!  Look at them!)
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

gaggedLouise

Mel Gibson is making a film based on the Maccabean rebellion!

When I first heard of it a few months ago, the word was that the film would be about that other Judean rebellion, the AD 66-73 one. "Surely he can't do it?" I thought at the time. Considering how much flak Mel and his script writers got for The Patriot and The Passion of the Christ, not least for being insensitive or schmaltzy about angles of history relating to Jews, one would think he wouldn't pick up this particular subject.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Torch

Quote from: Inkidu on September 06, 2011, 09:02:39 PM
Eh, that's really not fair. Hollywood does manage to come out with new stuff, they've been doing screenplays from books since the earliest days in film. Birth of a Nation is arguably the most infamous film in American cinema, and it's based off the book, The Clansmen. The film came out around World War One.

Out of all the films given the Oscar for Best Picture since the beginning of the Academy Awards in 1930, only 4 were written from original material. Every other film was adapted from a novel or play or some other medium.

I don't think people realize how many films came from books to begin with.

On's and Off's

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 09, 2011, 08:42:21 AM
Mel Gibson is making a film based on the Maccabean rebellion!

When I first heard of it a few months ago, the word was that the film would be about that other Judean rebellion, the AD 66-73 one. "Surely he can't do it?" I thought at the time. Considering how much flak Mel and his script writers got for The Patriot and The Passion of the Christ, not least for being insensitive or schmaltzy about angles of history relating to Jews, one would think he wouldn't pick up this particular subject.

Guh!?  After all he's done for his career recently, I'm surprised he's being allowed near a studio at all.  O_o

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on September 09, 2011, 09:38:36 AM
Guh!?  After all he's done for his career recently, I'm surprised he's being allowed near a studio at all.  O_o

Do you think he'll try getting permission to shoot on location?  :D

Oniya

gaggedLouise

;D ;D ;D

from the script:
"Judas!"
"Here I am. So what's the problem?"
"None really, but we need to kick some Greek bacon here."

Ryuja Tsukikage

A Battleship MOVIE?! Wow, Hollywood is sure getting desperate, guess there really isn't anymore originality left there anymore. They just take the biggest names they can find and make movies out of them. Sucks how a studio won't pick up movies without any backing at all, those usually make good ones... but this is a travesty to film!