News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Has anyone played any good video games lately?

Started by Music is life, July 20, 2013, 06:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 14, 2015, 09:40:04 AM
Not played, but Warhammer: Total War seems to have just been leaked

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/7544727/total-war-warhammer-announced-creative-assembly

care of an upcoming art book / interview.

I'd much prefer Warhammer 40,000 / Horus Heresy: Total War, but the Total War series are good, and I think they could do justice to a Warhammer game.

For those looking for a Warhammer fix the mod for Medieval Total War 2 Kingdoms is pretty epic. Obviously it's showing it's age a bit and it can be a bit buggy (especially if playing the new releases) but I've had a lot of fun with it.

I've lost a lot of faith in Creative Assembly over recent years so I can't say I'm too optimistic. Empire was a farce on release and even fully patched is only really a decent game when heavily modded, Napoleon and Shogun 2 had their on issues on launch but at least just about worked... although a large part of that was down to the fact they kept the games fairly simple and stuck to the basics. As for Rome 2... well, less said the better. The launch was if anything even worse than Empire's and even today it's still far from the game it should have been. As usual my advice with Total War games is to give it six months from launch for the patches to have fixed the most obvious flaws and mods to have done the rest.

I've been playing rather a lot of M&B Warband recently; the native version + mods as opposed to Viking Invasion which is a mess up there with Total War games on launch. It's probably a great example of the fact that however excellent a mod team are (and the mod team who eventually made VI were excellent) making a game, even just an expansion, is a whole new kettle of fish.

Revelation

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 14, 2015, 09:40:04 AM
Not played, but Warhammer: Total War seems to have just been leaked

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/7544727/total-war-warhammer-announced-creative-assembly

care of an upcoming art book / interview.

I'd much prefer Warhammer 40,000 / Horus Heresy: Total War, but the Total War series are good, and I think they could do justice to a Warhammer game.

I think warhammer fantasy battle is much more suited to the total war formula than 40k myself. I'm also really hoping that we'll get a good fantasy game this time around. 40k has had a few good to great games, WHFB hasn't really had the chance to shine.

It's a little odd that they're doing a total warhammer game right now, given all the fluff changes and possibly army deletions going on in the game though.

HairyHeretic

AFAIK they signed the deal with GW a couple of years ago, and I'd imagine it takes a year or two to make a game .. maybe more?
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

LostInTheMist

Quote from: HairyHeretic on January 15, 2015, 02:04:44 PM
AFAIK they signed the deal with GW a couple of years ago, and I'd imagine it takes a year or two to make a game .. maybe more?

Depends on the size of the game, and also depends on how much you want it to suck.
My Apologies and Absences  Updated March 24, 2024

My Ons and Offs

My Smutty Ideas
My Serious Ideas

Current Status: Unusually long bout of insomnia is slowing my posting rate.

Zeth

I take back what I said about Assassin's Creed Unity. The Multiplayer seems to be down.

Sel Nar

Quote from: LostInTheMist on January 15, 2015, 02:31:43 PM
Depends on the size of the game, and also depends on how much you want it to suck.

So, considering GW's history, we should expect it out in a month.

consortium11

Quote from: Sel Nar on January 15, 2015, 07:14:08 PM
So, considering GW's history, we should expect it out in a month.

Creative Assembly normally take about two years to make a Total War game and there's been serious talk of a Warhammer: Total War game for at least two years now.

That said, considering CA's recent releases you should still fully expect it to suck.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Zeth on January 15, 2015, 05:39:38 PM
I take back what I said about Assassin's Creed Unity. The Multiplayer seems to be down.

The new DLC must be screwing with it for some reason.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on January 15, 2015, 07:31:31 PM
Creative Assembly normally take about two years to make a Total War game and there's been serious talk of a Warhammer: Total War game for at least two years now.

That said, considering CA's recent releases you should still fully expect it to suck.
Yeah, as good as Shogun 2 reviewed it was surprising that Rome 2 was so terrible. No hope for Medieval 3, huh?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on January 15, 2015, 09:11:11 PM
Yeah, as good as Shogun 2 reviewed it was surprising that Rome 2 was so terrible. No hope for Medieval 3, huh?

Shogun 2 largely worked because they went back to basics. The topography of Japan meant they didn't have to stretch their campaign AI, unit rosters were virtually identical and outside of some limited RPG mechanics there wasn't a vast amount that was really new there compared to previous games... and even then there were issues on launch. Rome 2 was a massive revolution and much like the last time they tried that (Empire) it all fell apart rather quickly.

I could spend hours picking apart the flaws in that game but one is fairly fundamental; the engine. The TW Engine they used for Rome and Med2 was designed for armies primarily engaging in hand-to-hand combat while holding formation and ranks. The Warscape engine was designed for the combat in Empire; units firing muskets at each other while canons fired overhead and hand-to-hand combat was more between individuals then it was between units. That didn't work particularly well in Empire or even Napoleon, it just about held up in Shogun and it completely disintegrated in Rome 2. Combat was reduced to big blobs of soldiers wildly slashing at each other while you did the most basic tactics possible and spammed the MMO style rechargeable abilities. Unless they've worked out how to get the Warscape engine to accurately deal with formation close combat then it's always going to be a struggle to cover that in a game.

I'm not entirely pessimistic about a possible Med3. We'll learn a lot from Atilla. In the same way that Napoleon was the game that Empire should have been but on a much smaller scale I hope that Atilla is the game Rome should have been but on a smaller scale, fixing most of the issues. If they do make Med3 and they do basically what they did with Med2 from Rome (keep the basics the same with a few new features) by building on what will hopefully be a successful Atilla then it should be fine... I'll still wait a while after release until the early bugs have been sorted and the first few mods have come out but I won't be too unhappy. If they try to revolutionize the series again then I'll probably wait at least a year before buying.

(On a side note I'd add that Rome 2 reviewed extremely well... at least to begin with before the backlash began... which says a lot more about how games are currently reviewed then it does the game itself)

Inkidu

The topography of Japan isn't exactly Kansas, though there's something said for keeping to the fundamentals.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

consortium11

Quote from: Inkidu on January 15, 2015, 09:43:50 PM
The topography of Japan isn't exactly Kansas, though there's something said for keeping to the fundamentals.

Exactly

It's probably the oddest comparison I'll make for a while but because of Japan's geography and how they placed the mountains movement in Shogun 2 is actually little different to the sort you'll find in a MOBA like LoL or DoA; you start at one end, choose a lane to go down and win when you get the other end. In the same way that it means the minions in those MOBA's don't really need to make any AI decisions (they start walking and attacking anything in range) the campaign AI in Shogun doesn't have to make many decisions; there's not a vast amount of room for strategic flanking or the like to begin with, they simply march their generals down the lane, attack anything weaker and retreat from anything stronger.

Because the topography in Rome 2 was generally a lot more open the AI has to make a lot more decisions... and because it's not a particularly great AI it normally makes bad ones. Then factor in the way that any army can transform into a boat and, at least to begin with, to go along with all the other launch issues you also had bizzare situations where people on literally the other side of the world would declare war on you because the AI calculated that you had an undefended province for a sea invasion.

Shogun worked because it kept everything simple and largely did the basics well. Rome 2 failed because it tried to be too ambitious and at least partially as a result did pretty much nothing well.

Zekromnomnom

God, I really need to get a PS something just for the downloads. I always rented Xenogears and Alundra at the local video store when I was like thirteen but could never beat them. Didn't help that I had the worst memory card luck in the world and it just lost everything every two months.

Zeth

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on January 16, 2015, 12:10:44 PM
God, I really need to get a PS something just for the downloads. I always rented Xenogears and Alundra at the local video store when I was like thirteen but could never beat them. Didn't help that I had the worst memory card luck in the world and it just lost everything every two months.

I feel your pain and weep for you Zekromnomnom.

Zekromnomnom

Oreo

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on January 16, 2015, 12:34:53 PM
One of these days I'll get a PS4. Yeah...

Yeah, *dreamy eyed too* Next on the console list. Though likely won't happen unless a PS4 specific game comes out.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: Oreo on January 16, 2015, 12:37:57 PM
Yeah, *dreamy eyed too* Next on the console list. Though likely won't happen unless a PS4 specific game comes out.

I think there's probably something that will be one I need it for. And I'm done with Microsoft now that I'm not 18 and still into Halo.

CaptainNexus616

I am waiting for more games to come out for PS4. I have one myself but to be honest the selection is low right now a year after its release mainly due to remastered releases :/
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on January 16, 2015, 06:46:02 PM
I am waiting for more games to come out for PS4. I have one myself but to be honest the selection is low right now a year after its release mainly due to remastered releases :/

Yeah, but does PS4 still allow you to buy a crazy amount of stuff through their marketplace thing? Cause I haven't had aSony product since PS2 so there should be a back log for me.

Formless

I'm actually enjoying ' The Crew ' on PS4.

Driving from the east coast to the west coast through the states was quite the drive. Now since I'm not American , some of the dedicate forums told me that the cities and roads weren't a 100% exactly like the real thing. But regardless , the scenery , the mechanics and the story were very captivating.

For a racing/driving MMO , I say its worth the purchase if you're into cars.

Revelation

I got the demo for monster hunter 4U on the 3DS yesterday, it's great.

I mean, it plays more or less the same to MH3U on a surface level, and doesn't look differnet. movement is more expansive since you can actually climb things and move around vertically as well as leap attacks and riding a monster, and all weapons got at least 1 new move/attack. The insect staff and charge blade are both awesome, though pretty tricky to learn with how much you can really do with them. The new fights in the demo are great. Tetsucaba is pretty standard, but Gore Magala is a fun as hell fight once he enrages and gets really scary. Being able to play online with others is amazing too.

Zeth

My dad is in love with Pure Pool for the PS4. It is a billiards game for $20. It i pretty well done in my opinion.

Lrrr

Borderlands 2 is exceptionally well done.  And damned funny if you can catch all the social references.

If I've been online here on E but I haven't replied to your post or message, there are several possible reasons - none of which involve ignoring you.  Be patient - I'm worth it.
ONs & OFFs Plus Other Goodies!    2018-01-16 Updated A/As

Zeth

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on January 16, 2015, 09:26:45 PM
Yeah, but does PS4 still allow you to buy a crazy amount of stuff through their marketplace thing? Cause I haven't had aSony product since PS2 so there should be a back log for me.

No, it does NOT. If you want to play PS3 games go buy  PS3. Only a handful of the really popular PS3 games can be bought at the play station store and played on the PS4. Originally they were NOT going to have any backwards compatibility, but everyone pissed and moaned about it. So they threw on a cheesy patch that lets you buy some PS3 games from the store and play them.

Zekromnomnom

Quote from: Zeth on January 17, 2015, 07:37:16 PM
No, it does NOT. If you want to play PS3 games go buy  PS3. Only a handful of the really popular PS3 games can be bought at the play station store and played on the PS4. Originally they were NOT going to have any backwards compatibility, but everyone pissed and moaned about it. So they threw on a cheesy patch that lets you buy some PS3 games from the store and play them.

I'd be one of those people pissing and moaning. But in my defense, I think a lot of newer games are shitty. I'm not some nostalgic douche who can't find things to like in new games but when I finally get to playing games that everyone was always super into, half the time I end up thinking they're okay at best.