Doctor Who: Ten Years Later

Started by CaptainNexus616, March 28, 2015, 05:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

Well everyone its been ten years since the revival of Doctor Who. We have seen five new Doctors, nine companions, four new Tardis desktop themes and a ton of other new content. So let's have a thread dedicated to the longest running sci fi show to talk about it.

Now I am not gonna lie at first I found the premise of an alien running around in a phone box ridiculous. The description for it on Netflix didn't help much either till I finally sat down and watched the first episode of the revived series with the Ninth Doctor. It wasn't the best but it got me hooked lol
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 28, 2015, 05:10:33 PM
Well everyone its been ten years since the revival of Doctor Who. We have seen five new Doctors, nine companions, four new Tardis desktop themes and a ton of other new content. So let's have a thread dedicated to the longest running sci fi show to talk about it.

Now I am not gonna lie at first I found the premise of an alien running around in a phone box ridiculous. The description for it on Netflix didn't help much either till I finally sat down and watched the first episode of the revived series with the Ninth Doctor. It wasn't the best but it got me hooked lol

Well my friend was really into it even before the revival so he got me to watch the first episode. At first I was like, "Okay, living plastic, that's kinda cool." But then when the store mannequins started having the ability to shoot out of hidden compartments in their hands? Even for sci-fi, I thought that was just a bit too much. But like with True Blood, you can't just watch the first episode and think that the rest of the show is going to be as mediocre as that. So I watched The End of the World and by then I started seeing just how cool it was. And when season 2 rolled around and a new Doctor was taking the reins, I was apprehensive. I didn't think the new guy could possibly be better than the first. Boy, was I wrong.

But after Matt Smith took over, I noticed an undeniable downgrade in overall story quality. And I never warmed up to River Song, so there being so much revolving around her didn't help. I'm pretty much not going to continue watching it now that there's another new doctor. But it was more or less fun while it lasted.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Eleven didn't have the best stories in the world but he was still a good Doctor in my book. On the outside he was in a nutshell a kid at heart. On the inside you would see this dark and sometimes volatile bomb ready to explode. 10 was passive while 11 was aggressive and openly confronted danger.
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on March 28, 2015, 08:45:06 PM
Eleven didn't have the best stories in the world but he was still a good Doctor in my book. On the outside he was in a nutshell a kid at heart. On the inside you would see this dark and sometimes volatile bomb ready to explode. 10 was passive while 11 was aggressive and openly confronted danger.

Yeah, it was like his first appearance in The Eleventh Hour, stunning and awesome, but after that he never peaked again, that first hurrah was his best and he never did better.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

I felt like he had some more notable moments especially during his regeneration into the 12th Doctor. His speech about being so many people and accepting change was pretty warm and heartfelt as it was time to say goodbye with Matt Smith as the Doctor.

David Tennat as the Doctor was pretty awesome as well. A kind and one of the more human Doctors seen in the show. Though as time went on you would see the wear and tear that began to steadily grow as people either left him or died because of him thus in the end when it was time to Regenerate he was pretty tired, sad, and depressed which was what it felt like as he said his final line.

I really wish Eccletson didn't grow so unhappy with whatever it was that made him leave the show after just one season. Whether it be backstage issues, fear of being typecast or whatever he was an amazing Doctor. Nine was a man fresh from a tragic war and though he acted human at times he would always make that remark concerning humanity's stupidity or ignorance to show he was still an alien.

Sheeh I could ramble on for hours how awesome each Doctor is. I've been hearing how well Capaldi has been as the Doctor since he took over as the 12th.

Deamonbane

I liked Eccleston the best. I don't know why, maybe it was the accent, maybe it was just because he had such a short run...

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CaptainNexus616

Nine was my first Doctor this scene right here is what made me like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUGQnKVa5I

Now I didn't grow up with the classics however I cannot help but enjoy the certain charm the Fourth Doctor has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMx6y8ctFk

Its scenes like that are the reason why he is considered the iconic Doctor lol.

RubySlippers

Classic Doctor was fun with long delving episodes each adventure makes a 90 minute movie, new Doctor series sorry its okay but makes little sense. The Time Lords losing a Time War to Daleks? I would think the side that stopped a planet creating life of the respective species would win and sorry the Time Lords had the means to get there first.

And the 13th Regeneration was BS, sorry, they should have had him die and go to maybe the Time Lady Roman returning from E-space or maybe a half-Time Lord son as the new Doctor. And have him die saving the Universe or something.

Oniya

Romanadvoratreludar, most often referred to as 'Romana'.

And the 13th regeneration hasn't occurred yet.  The first regeneration was Bill Hartnell coming back as Patrick Troughton.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Elysian Radiance

QuoteBut after Matt Smith took over, I noticed an undeniable downgrade in overall story quality.

This. I hated Matt Smith's Doctor. I thought that he was a right prat and it was just not appealing after Nine and Ten. I liked Amy and Rory and Rive, however I'm not a fan of Clara at all. What I've seen of Capaldi so far I enjoy though!

Even though I love love love Ten, Nine will always be my Doctor. He was so snarky and funny and the sarcasm and wit was brilliant. I loved Rose and Donna (I'm so sad every time I think of Donna), but I didn't like Martha at all. Jack was amazing; I mean really, you can't not like Jack. I actually liked Jackie, and I liked Mickey [the idiot] once his character developed. And Wilf, the most awesome companion that wasn't actually a companion.

But I agree that things just seemed to get bad once Matt Smith took over. I had to force myself to watch most of his episodes. The writing was... it just wasn't nearly as good as it had been for the previous two. I haven't had a chance to watch all of Capaldi's season, but what I did see I really liked. I know it'll never happen, but I would love to bring Donna back as his companion. I think they'd have a great dynamic.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!

Rogue

Quote from: Oniya on April 17, 2015, 05:57:15 PM
Romanadvoratreludar, most often referred to as 'Romana'.

And the 13th regeneration hasn't occurred yet.  The first regeneration was Bill Hartnell coming back as Patrick Troughton.

Unfortunately Oni, if we're including the war doctor, we are on the 13th doc.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on April 30, 2015, 09:53:10 AM
Unfortunately Oni, if we're including the war doctor, we are on the 13th doc.

The War Doctor was not a 'natural' occuring regeneration for a time lord. It was forced on him
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
By the sisterhood of Carn, which by the way is something that was started after the Time Lords were 'cursed' (not all apparently) with the inability to genetically reproduce without 'Looms'.
. Also the whole 'only this many regenerations' was NOT something that was a hard line. The fact of the matter was the Time Lord Council was full of a buncha pompous fuckwits that wanted to control EVERY aspect of TIme Lord Society. This included how many regens they got. There is no actual limit to the Regens the Counsil says there is only that many regenerations, when in reality there isn't. THe Master has gone above and beyond his regeneration limit, and so has many other time Lords historically. The 'limit' was put into place because the TIme Lord Council highly monitored their population, they figured 'well you used that many your time is done, you don't get to regenerate again' - because they had to Loom children after the curse placed upon them. Looming involves a genetic process, but it isn't like repopulating through sex. Instead only a set number of children was allowed to join each house, as another member left. None of the Time Lords saw this as an issue, not at first, because 'Duty and Tradition' told them it was the right thing to do.

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Deamonbane

Quote from: RubySlippers on April 17, 2015, 02:38:07 PMAnd the 13th Regeneration was BS, sorry, they should have had him die and go to maybe the Time Lady Roman returning from E-space or maybe a half-Time Lord son as the new Doctor. And have him die saving the Universe or something.
Doctor Who is about THE Doctor, not some other doctor that we have never heard of (And honestly don't care about). If they were going to bring in someone else, they would have had to make it a spin-off series, because the title is in reference to the Doctor's true name, and the fact that we don't know it. Bring in someone else and it just doesn't make any sense anymore.

Therefore, I honestly don't care that the 13 regen was BS. They had to do it, or call an end to the series, and seeing Capaldi at the reins, I think that would have been a huge mistake.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Rogue

Quote from: SweetSerenade on April 30, 2015, 11:18:26 AM
The War Doctor was not a 'natural' occuring regeneration for a time lord. It was forced on him
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
By the sisterhood of Carn, which by the way is something that was started after the Time Lords were 'cursed' (not all apparently) with the inability to genetically reproduce without 'Looms'.
. Also the whole 'only this many regenerations' was NOT something that was a hard line. The fact of the matter was the Time Lord Council was full of a buncha pompous fuckwits that wanted to control EVERY aspect of TIme Lord Society. This included how many regens they got. There is no actual limit to the Regens the Counsil says there is only that many regenerations, when in reality there isn't. THe Master has gone above and beyond his regeneration limit, and so has many other time Lords historically. The 'limit' was put into place because the TIme Lord Council highly monitored their population, they figured 'well you used that many your time is done, you don't get to regenerate again' - because they had to Loom children after the curse placed upon them. Looming involves a genetic process, but it isn't like repopulating through sex. Instead only a set number of children was allowed to join each house, as another member left. None of the Time Lords saw this as an issue, not at first, because 'Duty and Tradition' told them it was the right thing to do.

Naturally occurring or not, it's still a regeneration. regardless I'm with Bane.

SweetSerenade

In that case what was done to him by The Master, as Ten, should have eaten up a regeneration as well. The Master was 'effectively' stealing his 'regenerations' - mostly because the numbskull didn't realize that the regeneration thing wasn't real.

Besides, if that was the case... how the feck did we get 'Missy'...

CaptainNexus616

Its been stated that Regeneration can change your gender as well. This was first mentioned by the 11th Doctor and ironically it was also done in a parody years ago by the same man who is now the Lead Show Runner Steven Moffat.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on April 30, 2015, 12:36:34 PM
Its been stated that Regeneration can change your gender as well. This was first mentioned by the 11th Doctor and ironically it was also done in a parody years ago by the same man who is now the Lead Show Runner Steven Moffat.

That's not what I am talking about. It was mentioned before, in the past that the master had 'gone through' all of his regenerations... but if that was the case... and he actually didn't TAKE more regenerations from The Doctor... then how do we have Missy? (which by the way, never thought I'd hate a character as much as River Song... but I do! )

CaptainNexus616

Well during series 3 it was revealed the Time Lords resurrected the Master to fight in the Time War complete with a new Regeneration Cycle. However the Master went AWOL and was able to hide well after the War ended. But during the End of Time  he was as the Tenth Doctor stated pulled back into the Time War. So how he survived that and regenerated again is beyond me.

SweetSerenade

That's exactly what I am getting at. The Master is the perfect example that the regneration 'rule' is a hoax...

Oniya

Well, there was the whole bit in 'The Deadly Assassin' as well.  No telling what side effects exposure to the Matrix could have had.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SweetSerenade

Same could be said fo The Doctor than, since the Doctor WAS the President of Gallifrey and was given full uninhibited access to The Matrix.

CaptainNexus616

I swear the whole Regeneration in general thing can get screwy at times when you try to keep track of it. It doesn't help when the official line goes as follows.

1st Doctor (Original Body)
2nd Doctor (1st Regeneration)
3rd Doctor (2nd Regeneration)
4th Doctor (3rd Regeneration)
5th Doctor (4th Regeneration)
6th Doctor (5th Regeneration)
7th Doctor (6th Regeneration)
8th Doctor (7th Regeneration)
War Doctor (8th Regeneration)
9th Doctor (9th Regeneration)
10th Doctor (10th Regeneration)
10th Doctor (11th Regeneration)=To avoid spoilers the Doctor found a way to funnel the energy into something else after he used enough to heal him.
11th Doctor (12th and final Regeneration of his original Regeneration Cycle)
12th Doctor (13th Regeneration and the start of a new Regeneration Cycle he gained through spoiler heavy means)

I can't tell you how many people argued over which current Doctor he was or what Regeneration we were currently on.