Episode III (Spoilers may be present!)

Started by Trieste, May 19, 2005, 04:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

Oh my god. I just saw it. I went to the local midnight showing and all I can say is, holy shit.

Well done. I really didn't much like Episodes I and II, but this... fkjhf *joygasm*

I can't believe they actually figured in a way for someone to wield FOUR lightsabers! It was so awesome!

Stumpy

oddly enough someone i know went and saw it the other night, where everyone booed george lucas about jar jar, never understood why people don't like jar jar, but we won't go into how sick i am here. He reckons it is teh best film of all six, i'll ahev to wait until next week to see so it better be LOL

Hunter

*waves his hand like some kind of sith*  You want to tell me more.

Stumpy

hopes for hunters sake trieste isn't immune to jedi mind tricks or sith ones for that matter

Moridin

I loved Grievous, even before they had him wielding four lightsabers.  That was just an incredible sight.  Palpatine was one slick bastard, and seeing the creation of Vader (and he's not Vader until he's in the black armor, I don't care what Sidious says :P ) was just great to see.
Straight male.  As long as its within the rules of the forum, and doesn't involve fire, I'll try it once.

Trieste

Augh, yes! I have to admit, though, it kinda sucked to hear Vader's voice being all, "What? Where's Padme? This can't be happening! ;_;" and adopting a bit of lil Ani's angst. But it was so worth it a few moments later... "She was ALIVE when I left her! I felt it!" *tears the place the fuck up*

I woke up this morning with an intense feeling of disappointment, though. I'm such a huge Star Wars fan, and this has really been hyped up as "TEH LAST STAR WARS!". Then again, RotJ was prolly hyped out the same way. What I'd love to see is another movie bridging the 20 or so years between episode III and IV. Except I'd be afraid that Obi-Wan would pick up another wannabe-cute talking alien sidekick. Thank god Jar-Jar at least didn't talk in this one.

I want to know more about the planet that Ayla Secura died on. It was gorgeous, and organic in a way that much of the places the Empire or the Jedi travel to are not. I mean, you saw most of the other places the Council was cut down on. A lot of them were in the middle of some form of civilisation, but around Ayla, there was ... plantlife. She also, disappointingly, didn't put up a very good fight at all. I mean, Yoda is awesome, and so is Vader and yada yada yada, but I *am* still a girl. I want to see girls kick some ass, too, and I had kinda high hopes for Ayla. You'll notice Windu went out in a suitably bad-ass way, though, which was awesome.

Random EU squee moment of the day: They had a Lethan Twi'lek in this movie! Mind you, I'm unsure of whether Lucas fucked with the backstory that the EU has put out for Lethans, but the deep, dark crimson red that they are is pretty unmistakable, and there was one in the opera scene. I very nearly jumped out of my seat in glee.

In this movie, you really get to see Obi-Wan shine, as well. It's nice to see them put some badassery into him, since in the very beginning, he was little more than a cardboard cutout character (I'm talking episode I, here) and according to all the backstory we know of Obi-Wan, he is a paragon Jedi. Raised in the temple (as they should be, in that time period), he was always portrayed as extremely strong in the Force, but also having a strong grounding in the morals and teachings of the Jedi Code. When you see him take out Grievous one arm at a time, he really gets a chance to shine, and the battle on Mustafar was pretty sweet, too. I found it to be a subtle nod to Alec Guiness's portrayal with his comment on using a blaster to defeat Grievous, as well. "How uncivilised" says it all. It sorta links his comments about the lightsaber being a more elegant weapon. At least, in my mind.

A niggling detail that kinda nags at me was Bail Organa's adoption of Leia after Amidala died. In Return of the Jedi, Luke asks Leia, "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" and Leia goes on to describe her. How can she remember if Amidala died at childbirth? Jedi can do amazing things, but remember all the way to her birth? The other answer would be, of course, that she never knew that the Lady Organa wasn't actually her mother, but I can't picture that when you take it among all the other revelations she gets in that scene in Jedi. A niggling detail, really, but sometimes the details make the story, or they bug you.

On an end note: apologies to the people I'm RPing with for my failure to reply last night or today. Wasn't in any shape to RP last night, and today I'm dead tired, having to work after staying up to see the midnight showing of Star Wars. I'll get back on the horse very soon. ;)

Lirliel

Good job in portraying the storyline Trieste, I loved the movie. I went with a good friend of mine (Who's an even bigger starwars nut then me, she's got all nine of the books), and we loved Obi in the movie. The only thing that I mind was Obi sitting a bit gay in the jedi council, *grin*, a shame though that we didn't get to see the wookie's fight some more. I wanted some real buttkicking goodness from the big hairy primates. (Just kidding offcourse)

I also loved Darth Sidious, "I'm defeated.. I'm weak.. please.. don't kill me", speech, then as he convinces Anakin to attack Windu he launches another volley of his force powers. Hmm Joda was great too, *steps into room, guards approach, lifts hand and guards get knocked out*, plus Joda can actually fight.

Special Credit to R2D2, the whole droid scene when there are about fifty of them around him and the one pointing his gun at R2 gets zapped, the OW! comment had the whole cinema laughing. I did get chills when I heard the true Darth Vader breathing, got that just raised hairs on my arm.

Well that's it for now, I think I'm gonna watch it again however, just for the heck of it!
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Natalie C. Barney

R2D2 it was great seeing him kick some! And Anakin aka Darth Vader was great killing even the younglings but orders are orders and little Jedi are still Jedi. The best scene was when the Seperatist leaders were told Darth Vader would come to "take care of them" nearer the end. *so evil* Also I liked when the Jedi's were wondering about the prophecy and Yoda said they might have "misread it" I should think so. Seems the Force was balanced there were 2 Jedi Masters and 2 Sith Lords seemed balanced to me when the slaughter was over. After all the Dark Side wasn't used for a LONG TIME maybe to bring Karma in line the Force had to have a period of dark rule.

"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Zaer Darkwail

I also wented see it in Thursday, but in Finland it was showed around 18.00-20.27 period :).

Anycase I had tougthed alot the propechy. I think Anakin/Vader was destined to bring balance in the very moment when he tossed the Darth Sidious down in the last fight scene in Episode 6. Simply said falling to dark side lentghened that process I think ;).

Also many times is mentioned that LUke tries follow jedi way in new era books after episode 6, so I think Force kinda "forced" that jedi and Sith orders to be depleted and restart over. That Luke needs establish new kind jedis.

I also admit that when Dart Vader taked it's firsth breath in the armor, it creeped out more whit a shock! I admit that I was scared to the sound in little, but years after older scenes did no longer scare me. But the first drawing breath bringed something out from me and I was all creeped out again! Also I heard they used the originall Darth vader actor do the scene, so his voice was originall and so is Darth Sidious, he is same guy who acted in year 1977.

Bayushi

Ooh!! Ooh!! My friends back home in Japan going to be jumping mad at me when they know I get to see Revenge of the Sith already!! We all Star Wars fan!!

Oh wow... I walked out of theater dazed. It was beyond anything I had expected or hoped for! I sad that Padme died, but glad that she die for good cause, being mother. Obi-Wan was very nice, very much like Japanese Samurai, duty, loyalty, and honour before all else. And yet he still have compassion for Padme when he find out she pregnant with Anakin's baby(s).

Anakin was soooooooooooo CUTE!!! *swoon*

*gets up after several minute of swoon* General Grievous was cool! Four lightsabers! OMG, I don't know how Obi-Wan survive him. And when Artoo sprayed oil all over Super Battle Droid, then light them on fire, I fall out of seat laughing!! Artoo is god of droids! ^^

Oh... my friends are going to kill me when I go home in a few month!! Movie not go to Japan for long time, I think.

To finish my opinion on movie, I think George Lucas did the best job he has done before on Star Wars, with Episode III. It much better than any other, and all others combined!!

So sad, though. In one week time, the two longest running TV/Film series end. First, last week, Star Trek: Enterprise end, and it be the last Star Trek series. Now Star Wars end.   :'( WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Now there no real good new Science Fiction left to watch. I sad now, going to miss the anticipating the new movies and episodes on TV for both.

Spookie Monster

First: Trieste, can we hijack this thread to talk about Star Wars in general rather than just Revenge of the Sith? If you let us, I'll do things for you...

Second: Be careful about professing your love for Star Wars too strongly, ladies. Women who genuinely like Star Wars are rare and highly sought-after in the dork community. Talk about it too much and you risk a PM inbox filled to the brim with marriage proposals. From me.

Having said that...

I haven't seen Revenge of the Sith yet. I might be going next week. I hope so. We'll see. I've read spoilers galore, but I haven't been keeping up, and thus I'm curious about whether or not two things were addressed in the final cut:

Was Count Dooku fleshed out at all? I soooooo wanted him to be Anakin's "father." I'm a huge fan of Christopher Lee (you know which Christopher Lee I mean: direct descendent of Charlemagne, World War II commando, center of the movie universe as measured by the six degrees of Kevin Bacon), and... well, that's it! What more do I need to say? He's Christopher Lee, dammit! He's awesome! I don't think I'll get what I want to see, though, will I?

Was General Grievous actually a cybernetic Sebulba? Let's look at the facts:

(1) General Grievous can fight Jedi though he’s not a "Force user." Sebulba could race in a competition that humans couldn't because he was so totally sweet. Humans can be Jedi.

(2) In the cartoon Clone Wars, General Grievous can fight with his feet. It was totally sweet. Wouldn't Sebulba be able to fight with his feet?

(3) Well, their eyes really, really look the same (totally sweet, of course). And the shape of General Grievous's helmet is kind of... Sebulba-esque.

I guess I won't get what I want here, either, though. Right?

Whatever the case, thanks for the many observations already posted. Very cool; I love to hear people's opinions on Star Wars. :)

Quote from: Trieste on May 19, 2005, 11:30:23 AMWhat I'd love to see is another movie bridging the 20 or so years between episode III and IV.

How do you feel about the upcoming TV show? I'm... hopeful.

Quote from: Trieste on May 19, 2005, 11:30:23 AMIn Return of the Jedi, Luke asks Leia, "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?" and Leia goes on to describe her. How can she remember if Amidala died at childbirth? Jedi can do amazing things, but remember all the way to her birth? The other answer would be, of course, that she never knew that the Lady Organa wasn't actually her mother, but I can't picture that when you take it among all the other revelations she gets in that scene in Jedi. A niggling detail, really, but sometimes the details make the story, or they bug you.

I was hoping they'd officially clear this up, too; I'm sorry to hear they didn't. I guess the unofficial explanation is that Leia is closer to their mother and Luke is closer to their father. (I imagine everybody here already knows that, though.) Did they reveal which of the twins was born first, may I ask?

Quote from: Lirliel on May 19, 2005, 12:57:21 PMThe only thing that I mind was Obi sitting a bit gay in the jedi council

And so a million slash shippers rush off for pencils and paper... :P

Quote from: Lirliel on May 19, 2005, 12:57:21 PMI also loved Darth Sidious, "I'm defeated.. I'm weak.. please.. don't kill me", speech

I'm an Original Trilogy guy. I actually don't dislike The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones; I don't think they're Star Wars or The Empire Strikes Back or Return of the Jedi quality, but I enjoy them. I don't really get into the Expanded Universe... a few things, but very few. That said, though, I think the greatest thing about the prequels is how icy cool Palpatine suddenly became; ten years ago, he was an oogidy-boogidy-bad-boy, but now he's the real deal. I was very pleased to see him grow.

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 20, 2005, 08:37:47 PMThat Luke needs establish new kind jedis.

This is one of the most intriguing parts of the whole series to me. Again, I don't dig the Expanded Universe, and I know there's a lot of stuff in there that contradicts my interpretations of the six movies, but I've always felt (despite Lucas's own statements :-[ ) that the Unifying Force was going to be either introduced or restored to the Galaxy; that the Sith weren't simply a "cancer," but a Jungian shadow that the Jedi had developed as they became arrogant and detached from the true nature of the Force. I love the scene in Return of the Jedi in which Luke calmly chokes the Gamorrean guards... he's using a Dark Side power (and, indeed the very one that killed his own mother), but he knows when to use it, how to control his anger rather than let it control him, and thus he's fine.

By the way, Trieste, are you a Twi'lek fan? ^_^
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Bayushi

From what I remember, Spel, Leia was born first.

And I am a Twi'lek fan. If you are referring to the cute women who are weird colours like blue and green, and have two tails on their head instead of hair. They are SO GORGEOUS!

There was a girl in the theater I went to in Washington who was painted blue, and had even fashioned some tails on her head and looked just like a Twi`lek. She even have body like Twi`lek! I drool a bunch when I see her! ^^

If you folks not notice, I like women. ^^ Especially Twi`lek dressed cute women in Washington State.  :P

*hugs Trieste and Hunter and Spel*

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Akiko on May 21, 2005, 06:48:16 AM
Ooh!! Ooh!! My friends back home in Japan going to be jumping mad at me when they know I get to see Revenge of the Sith already!! We all Star Wars fan!!

Oh wow... I walked out of theater dazed. It was beyond anything I had expected or hoped for! I sad that Padme died, but glad that she die for good cause, being mother. Obi-Wan was very nice, very much like Japanese Samurai, duty, loyalty, and honour before all else. And yet he still have compassion for Padme when he find out she pregnant with Anakin's baby(s).

Anakin was soooooooooooo CUTE!!! *swoon*

*gets up after several minute of swoon* General Grievous was cool! Four lightsabers! OMG, I don't know how Obi-Wan survive him. And when Artoo sprayed oil all over Super Battle Droid, then light them on fire, I fall out of seat laughing!! Artoo is god of droids! ^^

Oh... my friends are going to kill me when I go home in a few month!! Movie not go to Japan for long time, I think.

To finish my opinion on movie, I think George Lucas did the best job he has done before on Star Wars, with Episode III. It much better than any other, and all others combined!!

So sad, though. In one week time, the two longest running TV/Film series end. First, last week, Star Trek: Enterprise end, and it be the last Star Trek series. Now Star Wars end.   :'( WAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Now there no real good new Science Fiction left to watch. I sad now, going to miss the anticipating the new movies and episodes on TV for both.

Sorry but DOCTOR WHO the fameous British TV series is the longest running sci-fi show it had a non-stop run for many years. Unlike Star Trek which had a staggered multiple series. Anyway the last one sucked, it was supposed to be before the original series several decades. They never met the Klingons, Romulans and other races plus didn't even have warp drive. I was looking forward to at least nothing but new races save for the Vulcans and maybe other core Star Trek cannon Federation races. For a good series watch Stargate SG-1.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Akioth

Luke was born first :Cough: And I like the Lizard Dragon XD That thing kicked much ass!!!! Although I'd like to see a movie where a jedi doesn't loose his lightsaber at least once v.v;; My eyes were like   :o during that first scene. They had HUNDREDS of ships fighting over that planet. That is the most extensive spaceship fighting scene I have ever seen. And did anyone else notice that all the droids suddenly talk and move around more fliudly. R2 kicked much butt lol. Liked the joke about his wires to.....Up r2 UP. (And the part where Anakin says: I think we lost something. Obi-Wan: At least we still have half the ship....) Great movie.

Also, I think Anakin was partially brainwashed. How can someone be that dense!?!?! He goes to the Jedi and tells them that Palpatine is a Sith and than helps the sith Kill Windu!!!!! On accident or not!! Still a kickass movie though. And I do understand about the darth vader breath chills thing. That was freaky. XD  5 Stars even 10!!!
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Stumpy

well I ended up watching it earlier than i thought i would, was good, and while it was the best of the prequesl, not miles better like i've heard people saying...can we spell Hype please, and no definitely not the bext of all 6 nothing compares to that first time you see luke blow up teh deathstar, definitive moment in my life or what....and yes i know that means i've had a sad life, but saying the birth of my kids is just too twee, and its right behind that LOL.

As for doctor who, go doctor

dr whooo dr who

rushes over to cd collection to fond copy of that song, and then will rush to post in teh what are you listening to know thread

LOL

Lilac

Quote from: StrawberriesNCream on May 21, 2005, 07:59:38 PM
Sorry but DOCTOR WHO the fameous British TV series is the longest running sci-fi show it had a non-stop run for many years. Unlike Star Trek which had a staggered multiple series. Anyway the last one sucked, it was supposed to be before the original series several decades. They never met the Klingons, Romulans and other races plus didn't even have warp drive. I was looking forward to at least nothing but new races save for the Vulcans and maybe other core Star Trek cannon Federation races. For a good series watch Stargate SG-1.

EXTERMINATE!

Serenity is also coming out this september, I believe.  Will have to see that.

Silk & Steel

Unfortuantely here in Tokyo, the damn thing doesn't come out until July!!!!!

I heard on the radio this morning it comes out everywhere else in Asia earlier, not really sure why? But will just have to wait I guess....

nick012000

Quote from: Spel on May 21, 2005, 07:02:57 AM
And so a million slash shippers rush off for pencils and paper... :P

Too late. :o

Hunter

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!!

(Anyone else reading mixed reviews?)

Lancis

Senator Organa and his wife raised Leia so perhaps they showed her Pictures of Amidala? Told her stories? etc...

and spel

Grievious wields four lightsabers in four cybernetic arms....

Dooku dies... at the hands of Anakin (that look he gives Sidious is priceless when sidious orders anakin to kill him.)

anyway thats it for the moment :)

Lancis
I do what my rice krispies tell me to!

Art is  not my work, its source online is now down, but it was a Romusz

Amberghylles

I must confess, my first thought upon seeing the clone troopers gunning down the council members was... "When exactly did stormtroopers forget how to shoot?"

nick012000

Quote from: nick012000 on May 24, 2005, 05:59:07 AM
Too late. :o

Because this can't be allowed to disappear without somebody reacting to it. ;D

Zaer Darkwail

I do not react to it because it is so SICK! In bad way :P.

Spookie Monster

Many apologies, nick012000... I just can't bring myself to visit a file entitled "psychoticjedifuckfest.htm." :-X
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Amberghylles

"Speeder bike I am!"

That's my reaction, take it any way you want to. :o