News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Red Dead Redemption

Started by Avi, May 19, 2010, 09:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReijiTabibito

That's the thing.  Outside of the requisite late-night college Halo multiplayer, I've never played Halo until now.  Plus, I happen to be a huge Nathan Fillion fan, and he voices one of the mains in ODST.  But yeah, I have heard that ODST was too short - had about half the levels of the other games.  I thought they might make the levels longer to compensate, though...any truth to that?

Just had a suggestion made to me: take the money and buy myself a regular Xbox so I can play the two games given to me, as well as anything I decide to buy in the future.  The two games in question are the Splinter Cell games Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.  Better option, worse option, neither?

Sabby

Keeps telling me there's new weapons at the Gunsmith... there is not :/

Ridcully

@Sabby: Maybe you don't have enough money for the new weapons? ($$$-sign)

@ReijiTabibito: I love Halo, and ODST was a good Halo game. No more, no less. A good addition to the series. Levels weren't much longer than on any regular Halo game. The fights were a bit larger with more enemies, but that's about it.

Red Dead Redemption is _the_ game at the moment, and it will keep you occupied for months. It beats Halo ODST.

Why get a Xbox1 when you can have a 360 with Red Dead Redemption?

Sabby

No, they're just not there.

I just got the Dastardly Achievement. *twirls his mustache* Nyehhh!

ReijiTabibito

Well, the good news is that I found out a way to have my cake and eat it too - a used Xbox for $20, which leaves me half of what I need for RDR, and I can wait a couple of weeks to get the other half.

Crovonovin

Sabby, that's a bit of a bug.  The game is telling you that new weapons are available, because they are:  you just haven't unlocked the right to purchase them yet.  Doing those side challenges (Hunting, Gathering, Sharpshooting, etcetera) unlocks certain guns as you progress up the ranks.

Ramster

You might also be looking in the wrong gun shop. There are 4 in the game, in Armadillo, Thieves Landing, Escalera and Blackwater. Generally, while playing through the game, you'll find the new weapons in the area you've discovered most recently. So for example, when you're playing the storyline missions in Mexico, you'll find them in Escalera, etc.
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Sabby

Damn those throwing knives are awesome! One silently between the shoulder blades... niiice. I need to replay some of the levels with the new weapons.

Inkidu

I could do without some of Red Dead's mini-games. Texas Hold 'em, awesome. Blackjack, awesome. Five-Finger Fillet, horseshoes, and arm wresting can go jump in a acid vat.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avi

Liar's Dice is kind of fun too, but not as much as blackjack and poker.  Oh, and I just got to the You vs. Cougars with nothing but your knife challenge assigned to me.  Any tips as to where I should go looking for them?  I know that northwest of MacFarlane's Ranch is one good place, since I ran into two of them while I was hunting boars for the previous Hunter's Challenge.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Crovonovin

You don't find cougars.

Cougars find you.

Sabby

Any knife related hunting Challenges are tricky, but doable...

The Cougar and the Bear's tactics are nearly identical, with an obvious difference in speed. They close in for an attack, swoop out, will pad around watching you, then go for a second sweeping run. Both animals WILL toss you around like a wet rag if they make contact, and can usually hit you soon enough after the first strike to kill you.

HOWEVER! If you stand there and let them come, then roll to the side at the last second, you won't be knocked down, even if the attack gets you. You'll have a precious second to slash out at it's side before it gets out of range.

The Cougar is pretty easy once ya do this. I managed it without resorting to cheap tactics like shooting it in the paw :/ But the Bear... that's another story. I tried to do that one the honest way, but I was getting smacked around like a bowling pin, so I shot it a few times first.

If ya get to the Kill 3 Bears each with one shot Challenge, use the throwing knife. Instant kill if it hits the head.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on May 30, 2010, 06:18:01 AM
Any knife related hunting Challenges are tricky, but doable...

The Cougar and the Bear's tactics are nearly identical, with an obvious difference in speed. They close in for an attack, swoop out, will pad around watching you, then go for a second sweeping run. Both animals WILL toss you around like a wet rag if they make contact, and can usually hit you soon enough after the first strike to kill you.

HOWEVER! If you stand there and let them come, then roll to the side at the last second, you won't be knocked down, even if the attack gets you. You'll have a precious second to slash out at it's side before it gets out of range.

The Cougar is pretty easy once ya do this. I managed it without resorting to cheap tactics like shooting it in the paw :/ But the Bear... that's another story. I tried to do that one the honest way, but I was getting smacked around like a bowling pin, so I shot it a few times first.

If ya get to the Kill 3 Bears each with one shot Challenge, use the throwing knife. Instant kill if it hits the head.

Sorry, Sabby but there are two very cheap tricks that get you through anything knife related.

1. Carry full medicine.
2. Use your knife from your horse and keep mobile.

You elevated position from your horse makes hitting and running on them very easy. Plus your horse acts kind of like armor if the cougar doesn't get a direct hit.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Crovonovin

What madness is that?  Using your horse as a shield?  I would never risk the life of my stalwart equine companion, Silver!

Inkidu

Quote from: Shihong on May 30, 2010, 05:34:24 PM
What madness is that?  Using your horse as a shield?  I would never risk the life of my stalwart equine companion, Silver!
With the appropriate horse deed however my American Stanford Tornado never died, infinite equine reincarnation!

Ramster

1. Do the Master Hunter challenges at least up to level 5. This will unlock the buffalo rifle. which will stop anything. Just aim at the bear's head, take him down and hope you have time to slap another round into the chamber before another turns up.

2. If you've unlocked the third area, in the north, there are lots of cougars to be found at your own farm, Beecher's Hope. If you're still in the first area, just go to Rio Bravo, search for Survivalist herbs and the cougars will come to you. I prefer knifing them on foot myself, but keep a medicine bottle on hand.
Leave not a piss untaken, nor a Michael unappropriated.
A/As!!!
Knight of the Order of the Pizza

Nulla gratuitas sine anchoa

Wolfy

Hmm....I either want to get this, or Modnation Racers tommorow...I'm not sure which. o-o

Wolfy

Woot...I got myself a Nice Black Stallion. :P