Fractal Sky (Urban/Post Apocalyptic Fantasy, Exotic-Bon, Fate, Interest Check)

Started by Mingnon, February 23, 2013, 04:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mingnon

Fractal Sky
Written and GM’d by Reivenn and Mingnon

Alithrone is a ruined world, whose surface is a shattered wasteland. However, life persists in the sky islands floating above its surface where the few survivors of the world's destruction remain. Unfortunately the skies may not really be any safer because Alithrone is ruled by a tyrant, a tyrant who is one step away from casting the entire world into oblivion, sky and all. The tyrant simply needs the right key to bring about this destruction.

However, this key has fallen into someone else's hands, someone who by accident ends up on Earth, where she comes across a group of high school students; friends who at the time are having their first reunion since childhood. Seeing a pursuing beast though, it is quickly revealed to this group that the stranger who showed up is no mere girl, and they are soon enlisted to help fight the tyrant and save her world.

Soon, they will have to fight a myriad of monsters, explore many places in the ruined world, and ultimately have to face the tyrant herself.

---------------------------

Fractal Sky will be an anime-based RP that uses a more stripped-down version of the Fate Core system. Only four aspects, Fate Points, and a different skill system will be used, at least at the very beginning. The reason to use a system at all is to keep players' characters from going powerfully willy-nilly, breaking the worlds' established rules as shounen heroes are prone to doing.

Some basic setting information: Alithrone is basically a shattered world, with islands floating above the clouds and still able to support life, while the world below is a barren wasteland, the only stand-out feature being a black castle. The castle being the domain of the world’s new ruler, the Desecrating Princess.

Additional setting points include:

• A normal-to-the-point-of-where-powers-don't-exist real world.
  • Another world that employs medieval weapons, guns and magic.
  • And some dashes of comic relief and slapstick.
  • Not to mention the various opportunities to make sexy with Alithrone's locals - both human and monstrous - and each other!

Saisei
Saisei is a seaside town in the Chugoku region of Japan within the Shimane prefecture. The shoreline is more modern, while as one moves inland a more traditional atmosphere is maintained for tourism until one reaches the suburbs. The town's school, Soubouki is located in the midst of the suburbs. At the northeastern edge of the town is a small temple used today for general worship, but in the past it was once dedicated to Yamato-no-Orochi. Other attractions include a small seaside amusement park and a shopping arcade. There are also various shops, a few restaurants and two hotels, which are all fairly popular during the tourist season in the spring and summer months.
Saisei, with its former patron, used to have a foul reputation. It was notorious for holding regular feasts dedicated to Orochi, which would quickly turn debaucherous. As well, loyal to the myth, a girl was brought into the shrine every seventeen years who was then never seen again; indicating that Orochi had accepted the sacrifice. Fear of a terrible curse being brought against any who sought to harm the town prevented anyone from doing anything about this for many years. However, these traditions ended when an emperor decided to destroy the town in spite of the curse. Showing that claims of a curse were false, the town was soon enough simply burned down. Legend holds that as the town burned all the townsfolk committed suicide to join Orochi in the other world. Somehow only the shrine remained intact during the destruction. It was only decades later that the town would then be rebuilt as per its namesake (Saisei meaning ‘rebirth’), into what it currently is today.
Alithrone
A world that lies in a dimension parallel to Earth. Almost entirely destroyed and shattered; most of the remaining life survives above the clouds, scattered across a series of floating islands. Whereas the earth below is either wasteland or crumbled cities and ruins, the only exception being a black castle.

The flying islands have been regrowing in recent years, while carrying the remnants of what the world used to have been like. Some of the islands are even large enough to have their own individual ecosystem or biome. As such, there are still some scant communities of survivors scattered throughout the island, but the certainty of the claim, let alone the locations or even the number of those in those communities, is unknown.

There are two other unique features; the co-existence of magic and technology, as well as the existence of various, monster-like beings and races. Many if not a great majority these monsters serve the supposed ruler of Alithrone, Lorian the Desecrating Princess.
Magic, Technology and the Soul
Magic as a force continues to thrive in Alithrone and comes in varied forms, depending on the soul of the person wielding it. The individual soul is said to be a person's ideals; thus, the soul is required to be 'awakened' before one can begin to use magic. Once awakened, the soul manifests itself on one's person, representing that one's ideal form; thus there could be changes from clothing and hair, to eyes and even added or changed features. However, there is a quirk where anyone from another world will have their soul always manifest in Alithrone, as if it was always how they were.

Another way for magic to manifest is through simple spells and enchantments; solid formulae that have an expected and often lesser effect. However, they are almost always beneficial to the user; for instance, increasing the potency of magic or increasing the user's speed. These enhancements can come through scrolls, herbs made into a potion, or an enchanted item or accessory.

Technology is somewhat similar to Earth's, only regressed in some aspects. For instance, weaponry had advanced with the help of magically enchanted items, but there is also the existence of neo-medieval weaponry for melee combat. Items like light bulbs, the telephone, gramophone, the refrigerator exist and, should they be used, are nowadays powered with a socket-like charge stone. Vehicles also used to exist, and there are still some machines if someone where to find and use them.  There were also once inventions unique to Alithrone, such as airships that are now lost, but a clever individual might with effort be able to reconstruct such wonders from the ruins.

And finally...
Character Sheet Information
First off, let’s start off with what we’re looking for.

Basically, the party starts off as a group of regular high-school students, ages 16-19. These students are childhood friends who haven’t seen each other until around the start of the high school year. Upon awakening to their soul-based powers though, they are able to fight and use a power called a Mystic Talent. In addition while using magic or in Alithrone their appearance also changes into that of their soul-form.

Said soul-form though should be kept reasonable; still human, but with some alterations and features, the most major being a different outfit. Other alterations include different hair style and color, different eye type and color, a minor add-on like animal ears/tail and small wings or horns. The overall form must remain basically human and meet GM approval.

Likewise, Mystic Talents should be kept within reason. They are powers that are separate from a character’s other skills, and thus their own aspect. At the same time though, they shouldn’t be godly or even demi-godly. They’re just skills that are a notch up from a person’s regular fighting abilities.

And now the character sheet! (Note that this is more or less the basic form of it)

Name:
Age/Grade:

High Aspect: How the character defines his/herself, often encompasses primary concept and the role you see your character playing in the group.
Trouble: Essentially the conflict that character faces.
Mystic Talent: Explained above.
Background: The character’s backstory. This aspect can more or less represent it. Backstory can be elaborated on.

Mystic Talent Info:
Background Info:

Refresh: 3
Fate: 3

Weapon(s):

Skills: These are limited to five; one Good, two Fair and two Average. There aren’t any stunts as far as it’s known, and Skills aren’t entirely limited to Rapport, Fighting or Stealth. These are just whatever your character’s good at.

Good (+3):
Fair (+2):
Average (+1):
“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Discord RPs - Ons + Offs  - AnAs Thread
Oath of the Drake
Look for hot monsters in your area!

Reivenn

Familiarity with the Fate Core system is not required to play and the game itself is very rules-lite. Fractal Sky is more focused on the story and will incorporate input from the players to help populate the world and its inhabitants. As soon as we get a couple more people we'll be ready to start character creation and jump into actually playing, just let us know that you're interested.
"Dapper lycanthropes... terrible, yet... refined... My only... weakness..!" -- Tycho, Penny Arcade

Reivenn's Ons, Offs and Ideas

Inari

Hmm... a splash of Magic Knights Rayearth with a sprinkle of Okami and a dash of a system. I like it. Count me as interested. *Bookmarks*

TheHangedOne

I'm interested; my character ideas thus far are either a male, whose guardian (his uncle) is a Buddhist priest at a temple; in addition to being very devout, and strong from doing lots of chores around the temple, he is also skilled at Kendo.

My other idea would be less warrior-poet-hero, and more anti-hero as more of a  thug (maybe the school's 'boss' or bancho), who is likely more forced into the situation and maybe ambivalent about the whole thing.

I have absolutely never played Fate before, though, but I am pretty good when it comes to picking up new systems.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Genbu83

I am sort of i.terested as welll. I am learni g the fate system through the Dresden Files rpg

Reivenn

I'm happy to teach, since this is a stripped down version of the system it'll hopefully be very easy to pick up during the character creation process. Ideally, we'll work on tying everyone's characters together as childhood friends as people build their ideas. The way I like to work is moving everyone through the process step by step at the same time, starting with their character concepts.

The Dresden Files RPG provides an excellent overview for the system basics with regards to Aspects and Fate Points. Overall though, my aim is for simplicity and to just use the rules to settle any potential arguments that may arise. My basic philosophy is that most of the time the outcome of the action will hinge more on the narrative potential of that action then a dice roll. The numbers are there mostly for if two players come into conflict with one another.

Really quick and dirty basic system run down for the curious though is mechanically you roll 4d6. 1 and 2 are Negative, 3 and 4 are Neutral and 5 and 6 are Positive. Each positive result not countered by a negative result is a +1, known as a Shift. Skills add numerical Shift bonus equal to their rating (+1 to +3 depending on the Skill rating). You can also spend one or more Fate Points to invoke your character's Aspects to either reroll an action or add a +2 Shift bonus to the roll.

There are of course all sorts of little permutations, but that's the basic mechanical gist. I'll cover more of that once the game begins and you can see examples of the mechanics in action. It'll be very learn as we go, I promise not to throw anyone in the deep end to begin with.
"Dapper lycanthropes... terrible, yet... refined... My only... weakness..!" -- Tycho, Penny Arcade

Genbu83

All right, I'm glad to have a mentor when learning a new system anyhow.

Two concepts so far; first being the semi traditional ideal japanese youth. He is doing well acrossed the boards, not the top of his class, but he is that "good guy". I'd say that he is involved with student council, outdoors club, and likely is on one of the school martial arts teams. Jujutsu, Aikido, or Kempo. He can cook, but keeps it under wraps as it is considered a feminine skill. He plays monster hunter. Personality wise he is compassionate and balanced. Though the "bancho" can difinately see a smiling beast in him when he is actually competeing in martial arts. Meaning his other side form might be more monstrous, than his earth form. Sort of inspired by Generator Gawl on this one.

Second concept is playing a shoprat. He's no geek or otaku, he just likes working ona variety of machines. He likely has ties to one of the motorcycle gangs in the school. He himself has a bike, though unlike a lot of japanese punks, he rides a Ducati. If anything he and the boss have many casual accuantances, but he has spiritual side, perhaps a semi regular at the buddist temple. his other world aspects might make him more "knightly" but he'd like play with the tech. Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintanance sort of inspired this idea.

Mingnon

“There are only two races of men: decent and indecent. Both are found everywhere.”
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Genbu83

Name: Yakatoshi "Toshi" Nara
Age/Grade: 17, Senior(?)
Sexual Preference: Heterosexual

High Aspect: Mister niceguy, King of the Boy Scouts, take me home to meet the parents.
Trouble: Hidden temper/combat junkie, has a "girly skill"
Mystic Talent: Awakened Form
Background: Model Japanese youth.

Mystic Talent Info:
Background Info:

Weapon(s): Fists (martial arts), familiar with; bokken, katana, dagger, jo, bo, spear, and jitte. Is not a terrible archer.

Skills: These are limited to five; one Good, two Fair and two Average. There aren’t any stunts as far as it’s known, and Skills aren’t entirely limited to Rapport, Fighting or Stealth. These are just whatever your character’s good at.

Good (+3): Athletics
Fair (+2): Survival
Fair (+2): Fists
Average (+1): Scholarship
Average (+1): Weapons

Name: Kyosuke Yamasato
Age/Grade: 19, Senior
Sexual Preference: Heterosexual

High Aspect: Not quite a Delinquint, Mechanical Wizard, Trying to stay out of trouble, My Dad maybe (ok...ok...he is) Yakuza
Trouble: Trying not to fall into the family business, Ex cycle punk
Background: Ex motor cycle gang punk, trying to finish school and move far away

Mystic Talent Info:
Background Info:

Weapon(s): Fists, Knives, tools, is not unfamiliar with pistols and the principles of firearms.

Good (+3): Craftsmanship
Fair (+2): Weapons
Fair (+2): Burglary
Average (+1): Deceit
Average (+1): Athletics

Those are my two ideas? not sure on how to assign powers/talents.

TheHangedOne

Well, I have filled this out toi the best of my abilities; I don't have the Fate system available to me to work with, so I can't fill in certain sections.

Name: Masato Ishimaru (Displayed traditionally; family name first)
Age/Grade: 18, senior
Sexual Preference: Straight

High Aspect: Yamabushi/Samurai. A young but mature man with an intense focus on spiritual, mental, and physical perfection; not very social, but generally a nice person. 
Trouble: Impossibility of his lofty goal; expectations of others; occasional unskillful thinking.
Background: The character’s backstory. This aspect can more or less represent it. Backstory can be elaborated on.

Mystic Talent Info:
Background Info:

Weapon(s): Bokken

Good (+3):
Fair (+2):
Average (+1):
Check out my poet tree!

Mingnon

Actually Genbu, you're supposed to have one character. The Mystic Talent does not count an awakened form as a power, as it's the default. Rather, it's an exclusive power that only your character has.

As for Aspects, they're meant to be short and catchy. For instance, one character that has the aspect 'Ownership of a Legendary Sword that He's not deemed worthy of wielding' could be 'The So-Called Wielder of Excalibur'. Ideal Aspects are double-edged swords, and can be used against you as well as being useful in a scene.

As for Skills: You're basically meant to keep them to one line per rank, as exemplified here:

Good: Fighting
Fair: Deciet, Stealth
Average: Resources, Contacts

And then there's Stunts, which you asked about. Since this is meant to be kept simple, you can't use stunts in this game.

Now as for everyone else; if you want a copy of the Fate Core manual, you'll have to give me a way to send you the file. Either by E-Mail or IM.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Genbu83

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Quote from: Mingnon on February 28, 2013, 12:52:15 AM
Actually Genbu, you're supposed to have one character. The Mystic Talent does not count an awakened form as a power, as it's the default. Rather, it's an exclusive power that only your character has.

As for Aspects, they're meant to be short and catchy. For instance, one character that has the aspect 'Ownership of a Legendary Sword that He's not deemed worthy of wielding' could be 'The So-Called Wielder of Excalibur'. Ideal Aspects are double-edged swords, and can be used against you as well as being useful in a scene.

As for Skills: You're basically meant to keep them to one line per rank, as exemplified here:

Good: Fighting
Fair: Deciet, Stealth
Average: Resources, Contacts

And then there's Stunts, which you asked about. Since this is meant to be kept simple, you can't use stunts in this game.

Now as for everyone else; if you want a copy of the Fate Core manual, you'll have to give me a way to send you the file. Either by E-Mail or IM.

Roger that, I just submitted both ideas, whichever seems more popular I'll play. Though I'm leaning more toward the first ideas. So going with the semi shonen theme. I like the idea of the transformation. IE the mystic talent of becoming enhanced by his other form, I'm guessing a series of transformations. Intially color change/clothing swap and possible physical enhancement. Evolving later on to an semi armored form with an animal motif an enhancements. Eventually a semy mechanical form with a great deal of enhancement.  Again, sort of using generator gawl and ronin warriors as my chief influence.

Mingnon

Actually, I doubt that kind of power would work here. Mainly because as I understand it your character would become more and more powerful with each transformation, which is what me and Reivenn are trying to prevent. Thinking in terms of Dragon Ball Z, Goku would simply need to gain a new power/Super Saiyan level/whatever (after many episodes, but I digress) in order to take on a new threat, while everyone else is more or less left behind. The same applies for other countless shounen series.

Simply put, you will have to stick with one soul form and one power which makes up the Mystic Talent.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Genbu83

My misunderstanding then. When I read the shonen bit and understood this to be a progressive sort of system, that over time we as characters would grow to impressive powers. I don't think you're going to be handing out upgrades like candy, but i understand your concern. I still like the idea of The awakened form and it evolving somewhat. I was tossing around either a tiger or dragon motif. Regal, but with a powerful primal side.

That being said i want to work within the confines of your rules and still have an interesting power persay.

selfexiled

Color me interested but also lost. While I have a great fondness for the Japanese culture which this is based on I don't know enough about it to just jump in. Also not familiar with system, used to just writing out actions and reactions accordingly within reason. Typically my characters are european based culture so expanding my reputuare(wow pretty sure i misspelled that) would be good.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=134455.msg5990414#msg5990414

Absences:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180093.0

Reivenn

Growth will definitely occur over time and I have no problem with an evolution of form conceptually. It's something we can discuss further as the game progresses. For the moment though, like I said I want to take everything step by step, starting with Concept then we'll fill out the other stuff.

So, if you're interested Step 01: Go ahead and post just your character concept (or concepts) in OOC so we can see where everyone's at in terms of a character and how they'll fit together into a group. Be as detailed as you want, but don't worry about any mechanics or the system right now.

Mingnon

Genbu - Understood. That could more or less be taken care of as the RP goes on.

selfexiled - Thank you for the interest! ^.^ If there's any questions about Japanese culture, feel free to send me a PM. I'll do what I can to help.

In the meantime, I'll drop in my character's sheet so that everyone has a more accurate point of reference.
-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

selfexiled

Ok I put a CS in the OOC I assume that's the right place. I have a fondness of Samuri X and Kenichi if that helps you get a grasp of my influences.
Originality is fast becoming obsolete, to make a trully unique world all your own is the mark of a great writer, artist, thinker.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Reivenn

Ok, so far we have from my impressions:

Masato Ishimaru (HangedMan) - He's a very serious individual who lives with his uncle at the temple and focuses mostly on his personal training and academics. His general concept is that of a stalwart guardian.

Yakatoshi 'Toshi' Nara (Genbu83): Who is essentially a model student, heavily involved in school activities, but doesn't particularly stand out in anything in he does. Sortof jack of all trades, master of none?

Takumi Onbin (selfexiled): A more grounded, very down to earth hands-on individual. Smart, but practical and very compassionate.

Fuyuko Gozen (Mignon): A baker's daughter and excellent cook who up until now hasn't taken life too seriously, but is now determined to prove herself so she can take over her parent's bakery.

Let me know if those summaries are accurate. It seems like we have four very distinct characters, with a bit of overlap, which is good. Off the top of my head, it seems like the three male characters have no inherent attitudes that would drive them apart from one another. They all seem like 'good guys' for lack of a better term, willing to help one another out and such. They also all have a niche, the only one I'm really worried about is Toshi, who seems just a bit too average. My instincts tell me I want to have him have some sort of personality hook that sets him apart from every other student, even if it's something only he would really know about.

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

selfexiled

Sounds pretty close to me. I should add that even with his extreme compassion for others Onbin can on rare occasion be the exact opposite, and make most people with the "cold shoulder" personality look warm.

Uhm ONs/Offs link

Absences:

Sephiriel

Genbu83

Quote from: Reivenn on March 01, 2013, 01:30:19 AM
Ok, so far we have from my impressions:

Masato Ishimaru (HangedMan) - He's a very serious individual who lives with his uncle at the temple and focuses mostly on his personal training and academics. His general concept is that of a stalwart guardian.

Yakatoshi 'Toshi' Nara (Genbu83): Who is essentially a model student, heavily involved in school activities, but doesn't particularly stand out in anything in he does. Sortof jack of all trades, master of none?

Takumi Onbin (selfexiled): A more grounded, very down to earth hands-on individual. Smart, but practical and very compassionate.

Fuyuko Gozen (Mignon): A baker's daughter and excellent cook who up until now hasn't taken life too seriously, but is now determined to prove herself so she can take over her parent's bakery.

Let me know if those summaries are accurate. It seems like we have four very distinct characters, with a bit of overlap, which is good. Off the top of my head, it seems like the three male characters have no inherent attitudes that would drive them apart from one another. They all seem like 'good guys' for lack of a better term, willing to help one another out and such. They also all have a niche, the only one I'm really worried about is Toshi, who seems just a bit too average. My instincts tell me I want to have him have some sort of personality hook that sets him apart from every other student, even if it's something only he would really know about.

Toshi's hook is more or less his wild side. As he is what is to be expected. His only expression of  his souls comes out in natural activities. Mostly the outdoors and in martial arts. Sort of why I'm leaning towards the animal like armor powers, or perhaps actual hybrid idea. There is nothing wrogn with him, he's just a beast at times. The jujitsu leads me to a tiger sort of motif, but the model youth  tend to make me think dragon.

Mingnon

-Victor Frankl
Oath of the Drake

Reivenn

@Jane: Hi and welcome! Feel free to jump in with your ideas at anytime in the OOC thread