What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kythia

One I've kept meaning to mention and kept forgetting:  Ched Evans

Not particularly long story short:  Ched played football for Sheffield United.  he was arrested, tried and convicted of rape (appealed and the sentence was upheld), served two years of a five year sentence.  Now out, and Sheffield United have said they'll sign him again.  Various protesters have said they shouldn't.  This isn't really the right thread for my view, but it is taking up a lot of news space through a few different routes.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Beorning on October 27, 2014, 02:12:34 PM
So, what's in the news lately?

Back here, the biggest news are the results of Ukrainian elections. Also, last week, our Mashal of the Sejm, Sikorski, had a string of really unfortunate behaviours. They are still being talked about...
Are you talking about him mentioning that Putin may have suggested to Tusk they split Ukraine between Poland and Russia, back in 2008? What I heard about that is a bit sketchy and not very detailed, but, alas, my Polish is stuck on the very basic tourist level so the primary sources I can find are beyond my grasp.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Lustful Bride

Antares Rocket Exploded in Virginia just a few minutes ago.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

The Fully unmanned spacecraft built by NASA exploded soon after launch. No reports of injuries or fatalities yet. Cause of explosion unknown.

Beorning

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on October 28, 2014, 01:54:56 AM
Are you talking about him mentioning that Putin may have suggested to Tusk they split Ukraine between Poland and Russia, back in 2008? What I heard about that is a bit sketchy and not very detailed, but, alas, my Polish is stuck on the very basic tourist level so the primary sources I can find are beyond my grasp.

Yup, that's it. First, he claimed (in an interview for Politico.com) that Putin had suggested partitioning Ukraine. Then, he claimed that he was misunderstood by the interviewer and that he didn't mean exactly that, but something else. Eventually, after a few days, he decided that his memory was faulty and that the whole proposal from Putin didn't really happen...

Also, there was the matter of a rather disastrous press conference he had when the whole thing was happening. The conference was supposed to be about something else, but the journalists started asking about his claims about Putin. Sikorski's reaction was to put on an awfully forced smile and to keep repeating: "Please refer to my explanations in an interview that will be published in a few hours by [one of our newspapers]". The journalists, annoyed, kept pressing on... and Sikorski kept repeating: "Please refer to my coming interview". With that awful, awful smile plastered on his face...

The whole situation was so embarassing that Kopacz (the Prime Minister) apparently grilled Sikorski really hard for it afterwards.

Vekseid

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 28, 2014, 06:02:06 PM
Antares Rocket Exploded in Virginia just a few minutes ago.

The Fully unmanned spacecraft built by NASA exploded soon after launch. No reports of injuries or fatalities yet. Cause of explosion unknown.

Not built by NASA, but by Orbital Sciences Corporation.

Lustful Bride

Beorning

Thank God that it was an unmanned rocket!

Regarding the news here...

It's close to October 31th, which means that it's time for yet another round of our national "Is Halloween evil?" debate. On one side: all the children, parents and schools who want to do something Halloween-related, just because it's going to be Halloween in America, without paying any attention to the fact that Halloween isn't our custom and that it doesn't really fit (IMHO) with our own All Saints' Day (November 1st). On the other side: priests and other Catholic authorities claiming that Halloween is a pathway to Satanism and occultism...

Each year, these two sides seem to clash. I'm getting tired of it...

Oniya

I wonder if any of them have seen the information in this article.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Interesting article, I'll read it in full when I have the time :)

But see: back here, the Catholics take note mostly of the Samhain connection. So, for them, Halloween is pagan at best... And all those witches and vampires? Satanism, clearly  ::)

Remember, only a few weeks ago our bishops criticized a government school handbook for inclusion of nymphs and dragons. Again, they claimed that it all leads to children being "introduced to the occult" etc.

I shudder to think what our bishops would think of RPGs...

Oniya

Probably the same thing that my mother's parish priest did.  ;D  But that's hardly in the news.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Beorning on October 29, 2014, 11:15:19 AM
Thank God that it was an unmanned rocket!

Regarding the news here...

It's close to October 31th, which means that it's time for yet another round of our national "Is Halloween evil?" debate. On one side: all the children, parents and schools who want to do something Halloween-related, just because it's going to be Halloween in America, without paying any attention to the fact that Halloween isn't our custom and that it doesn't really fit (IMHO) with our own All Saints' Day (November 1st). On the other side: priests and other Catholic authorities claiming that Halloween is a pathway to Satanism and occultism...

Each year, these two sides seem to clash. I'm getting tired of it...

Well carry it in your heart that we are not all like that. I am a sort of weird Catholic who also does Protestant stuff...*shrug* and I love Halloween  ;D...the only thing I hate about it are the bastard teenagers an drunk 20yr olds who go around causing shit.  >:(

Just had eggs thrown at my window....I hate them so much. I just know il have to clean it up in the morning.

Zakharra

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 31, 2014, 06:36:50 PM
Well carry it in your heart that we are not all like that. I am a sort of weird Catholic who also does Protestant stuff...*shrug* and I love Halloween  ;D...the only thing I hate about it are the bastard teenagers an drunk 20yr olds who go around causing shit.  >:(

Just had eggs thrown at my window....I hate them so much. I just know il have to clean it up in the morning.

If you can afford it, get some eggs to throw back at them? Have a neighborhood egg watch hunt?

TheGlyphstone

Build one of those PVC pipe potato cannons, but load it with eggs instead.

Lustful Bride

id rather not starts anything Though I have to admit it did lead to a funny situation.

They once tried that stupid "light a bag of dog shit on fire" trick and I just went back inside and brought out one of those tiny fire extinguishers and put it out. I could practically hear the stunned surprise and disappointment in them.  ;D

Zakharra

Quote from: Lustful Bride on October 31, 2014, 11:21:00 PM
id rather not starts anything Though I have to admit it did lead to a funny situation.

They once tried that stupid "light a bag of dog shit on fire" trick and I just went back inside and brought out one of those tiny fire extinguishers and put it out. I could practically hear the stunned surprise and disappointment in them.  ;D

Well, you wouldn't be starting anything (they threw the first eggs..), but you would be helping finishing it.

Lustful Bride

90 year old Pastor and other members of his church arrested for Feeding Homeless people.

(Wow Florida really?)

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/04/justice/florida-feeding-homeless-charges/index.html

I wish I could donate money to help pay for the Pastor's bail and such. This is disgusting, the people who ordered him to be arrested should be ashamed of their goddamned selves.  >:(

Beorning

Yeah, it was in the news back here, too. A headshake-inducing case, I must say. Charges for feeding people? Really?

Oniya

It reminds me of the 'rationale' that a friend's community gave for not letting him park his bobtail (semi truck without the trailer) in his development:

Only truckers drive bobtails.
Truckers need truck stops.
Truck stops attract prostitutes.
Prostitutes have pimps.
Pimps sideline in drugs.
Drugs lead to gangs.
Gangs lead to increased crime.

Therefore, having a truck parked in a development leads to increased crime.

I never said it was a good rationale.

In this case, the rationale is 'offering free food attracts homeless people.  Homeless people include drunks and addicts.  Drunks and addicts raise the crime level.  Hence, offering free food raises the crime level.  Never mind the fact that a large portion of homeless people are military veterans, or people that have been screwed over by the economy and would rather be contributing to the community instead of eating in a soup kitchen.

Lustful Bride

I'm with you Oniya. Its just a shameful is what it is.

Ephiral

Recent news from Parliament Hill: Two female members of the NDP have alleged harassment by two members of the Liberal party in separate, unrelated incidents. The Liberal leader issued a statement that we need to protect victims and encourage them to come forward, and immediately suspended the accused MPs pending investigation.

I traditionally vote NDP, but... Trudeau is seriously impressing me. I'm feeling good about switching teams in the next election.

Lustful Bride

A Pennsylvania couple hung a 3 year old Child upside down and laughed as they beat the child to death. And then the freaks had sex afterwards.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/prosecutor-boys-beating-death-just-evilness/ar-AA6XY7G?ocid=HPCDHP

I cant even process this...that two adult human beings...could hang a child whose only been on this world for 3 years, and  then proceed to beat him to death.

I don't usually say we should have the death penalty, and when I do I say we should make it painless. But for fucking monsters like those two people...I say we break their femurs and throw them in the ocean or in a burning furnace. Abominations, which is what they are, like those things should not get mercy or treated like a human being.

If they choose not to act like one then they should be treated appropriately.

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 07, 2014, 10:13:56 AM
A Pennsylvania couple hung a 3 year old Child upside down and laughed as they beat the child to death. And then the freaks had sex afterwards.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/prosecutor-boys-beating-death-just-evilness/ar-AA6XY7G?ocid=HPCDHP

I cant even process this...that two adult human beings...could hang a child whose only been on this world for 3 years, and  then proceed to beat him to death.

I don't usually say we should have the death penalty, and when I do I say we should make it painless. But for fucking monsters like those two people...I say we break their femurs and throw them in the ocean or in a burning furnace. Abominations, which is what they are, like those things should not get mercy or treated like a human being.

Drop them in General Population.  Give them the 'M' treatment.  (as in the Peter Lorre movie)

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2014, 10:18:23 AM
Drop them in General Population.  Give them the 'M' treatment.  (as in the Peter Lorre movie)

Yes. God I hope theres a special place in hell where these two fucks will feel every scrap of pain they inflicted on the child for all eternity...it just breaks my heart imagining this little 3 year old wondering why his mother and father were doing this to him.  :'(   Why the people who were suppose to love and protect him were laughing at his pain.

I need to go do something productive. IM just seeing red now.

Zakharra

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 07, 2014, 10:13:56 AM

Wow.. that is just evil. The death penalty is entirely appropriate for that couple.

Valthazar

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 07, 2014, 10:13:56 AMA Pennsylvania couple hung a 3 year old Child upside down and laughed as they beat the child to death. And then the freaks had sex afterwards.

It didn't say whether or not drugs were involved in the article, but I am willing to bet that had something to do with it.

edit: wow, found another source which says "investigators found no evidence that drugs or alcohol had been involved."  That is unbelievable that someone would do this.