All In Your Head [Scifi Superhero play] [Accepting Characters]

Started by GloomCookie, July 19, 2011, 08:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

The year is 2903, and war is upon us.

In 2874 a remote survey probe picked up radio signals coming from a star then designated as Sierra 39-Echo.  The probe approached and began a quick scan, only to be discovered.  A burst transmission was the only warning given before the aliens attacked.  They never learned from where the probe came from, so the transmission was received by a nearby planet, Wurther, a small agricultural world of barely a million people.  Fearing an alien invasion to soon be upon them, they sent word to the Galactic Alliance, headquartered at Sirius.

The military, already stretched too thin due to budget constraints by corrupt politicians, immediately transferred the bulk of the fleet to Giddeon Station, a hollowed out asteroid near the frontier worlds such as Wurther.  With almost every world in the sector screaming for protection, there was nothing the military could do.  they immediately began researching new methods and weapons to combat a possible invasion force should the aliens prove hostile.

It was late 2887 when Project Mystic came to fruition.  Taking a handful of registered psychics, the military turned them into warriors, each with powers and abilities that made them deadlier than an entire army.  The group fell under the command of General Robert Hepburn, a man who'd excelled during the Raider Crisis of 2861.  However, before he could deploy them, the long absence of any invasion caused the Galactic Alliance Council to pull funding, and begin mothballing the fleet.  The group was disbanded, but the GAC believed that the training programs could be easily put into practice to create commandos for non-traditional warfare on planets.

With black-ops funding, General Hepburn was given 20 young psychics, each 8 years old, to train.  He taught them to the best of his ability, far exceeding the skills of the original group.  They became experts at infiltration, creative destruction, intelligence gathering, everything they were put to task to do.  The GAC, believing they had a new force to combat dissidents throughout the Alliance, ordered Hepburn to begin the next batch, hoping to begin turning out agents every few years.  As for the new group, they were given the designation Blanco Squad, were sent to infiltrate a group of arms smugglers operating out of Nautica.  The team was about to begin their mission when the unthinkable happened: invasion.

Suddenly finding themselves trapped on a planet in the path of a giant alien invasion force, Blanco Squad found themselves in the fight of their lives as they tried to keep the aliens from killing billions of innocent civilians.

Hi everyone!  I'm back!  And I've got an amazing adventure for all of you.  Basically, you're all young telepaths eager to take the fight to the enemy.  I'll let you pick up to three powers, plus two cybernetic enhancements.  The rest is entirely up to you.  I'll accept up to ten players for this one, so let's see what everyone has to bring to the fight ;)

For the first chapter, you'll be giving brief introductions and getting ready for the second chapter, which will kick off with everyone taking to the skies to fight the incoming alien fighters and warships.  Chapter 3 is still sketchy but may or may not involve a weapon of mass destruction dropped on the beautiful city you see above.  Also, IM me if you have any ideas for furthering the story.  It's great to be back ^_^

Alicia "Eagle Eye" Roberts

Powers: Flight, Healing Touch, Magnetism
Cybernetics: Optical Enhancement, Enhanced Muscles (strength, speed)
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

dwellinthedark

Phillip 'Flicker' Jordan

Powers: Telekinesis, Teleportation, Variable Temporal Perception(His mind works much, much faster, trying to move his body much faster than it can naturally results in serious injuries)
Implants: Adaptable Interface Implant(Can hack into technology with right hand, and maintain control of one piece at a time even after losing contact), Stealth Implant(Invisibility)

Chastity:  The most unnatural of the sexual perversions.  ~Aldous Huxley
Ons and Offs     Dreams and Desires

EvilEye

Blessing 'Lonesome'  Lone

Powers:  Grow semi transparent wings , some control over plants/earth, Telekinesis

Cybernetics: enhanced hearing (pick up radio signals as well) and a chip in her brain for enhanced memory.
“A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.”
Oscar Wilde
Love is like a glass door… sometimes you don’t see it, and it smacks you right in your face.
~Anonymous

My O/O's  My Ideas  I apologize.

Alsheriam

I'm totally signing up for this. :D Where do I scribble on the dotted line?
A/A

Tick

I am going to go against my instincts to shy away from all group rps and give this a shot as well.

Yensal "Ratchet" Leo'Va

http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=power%20armor&order=9&offset=168#/d2sh187

http://browse.deviantart.com/traditional/?q=hot%20guy&order=9&offset=24#/d2a9evf

Powers: Telepathy, Mind Jack(He can jump into someone’s mind, see, hear, feel from their point of view and implant things like illusions that only last a short time until the victim realizes they aren’t real and rejects them, which also pushes him out)
Cybernetics: (either a medical piece or basic remote control of his power suit), reinforced right leg(His right leg is crippled, thus uses cybernetics to give him a sort of normality), Maintenance right arm(has most forms of tools used for repairs built into his right arm)

(Sorry for being a bit description heavy)

GloomCookie

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you about it swellinthedark.  I had to pick my jaw up after it hit the floor and kept going for a while.  I looooove the character ^_^
My DeviantArt

dwellinthedark

Chastity:  The most unnatural of the sexual perversions.  ~Aldous Huxley
Ons and Offs     Dreams and Desires

GloomCookie

I've decided that instead of laying out chapters, I'm taking Tick's advice and going to let you guys swing it your way.  More fun that way.  Also, still accepting characters, so if you want to sign up, do so.  It's super easy!  Just use the following as a template.

First Name "Alias" Last Name
Picture
3 Natural Superpowesr
2 Cybernetic Superpowers

THAT'S IT!

So get me more characters.  Or I'll fry your brains!
My DeviantArt

Tick

<__< I got the image of Linna holding a giant magnifying glass from that.

GloomCookie

My DeviantArt

GloomCookie

Actually dwell, you can keep your character and Tick can keep his, because Tick is creating more of a support character, whereas yours will be front line.  So no worries.  Don't be killing each other, save that for the icky aliens!
My DeviantArt

dakabn

Alrighty :P

Lera "Leer" McFarland

NATURAL
Telepathic
Electrokinesis
Psychometric

CYBERNETIC
Surveillance (Camera in eyes, microphone in ears and recorded in a disc implanted in her brain wirelessly accessible.)
Electrokinesis Focuser (In arm.)

Tick

Hey, hey, he can do front lines.. though if the cripple is there, that typically means the front line came to him and things have hit the fan..... yea, keep me in the back xP

Flash Gorden

This seems like an awesome idea. Just have to find an awesome picture to go along with all of yours.

Tick

I'm changing out Digital Dive, but I'm debating a medical cybernetic/power vs an idea I had. So depending on if we get a medic or not I am going to set that one. Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion

GloomCookie

For those of you who want to join the game but can't find an awesome superhero pic in keeping with what's already there, I'm throwing a few your way.  All images are from OmeN2501 via DeviantArt.com and you can find a link to his wonderful art here

Females

Males

Also, the game will officially begin tomorrow (July 22) and we will hold slots open until July 29.  So if you want to get in on the mayhem, you have until then to sign up, or you'll have to wait until we get to a good point to jump you in.
My DeviantArt

Tick

Quick question, what kinda tech and city are we working with here? I assume we are defending this city for the majority of this.

So what kinda of technology are we working with, and what kind of weapons?(plasma, mass accelerators, lasers, some combinationt there of)

What do the aliens have? and will we be given a base description of them?

And how is the city laid out?

If all of this will be explained later, sorry for rushing.

Brittlby

Hitzel "Harness" Braun

Powers: Gravity Control (Graviton Manipulation via Gyrokinesis) / Forcefield Generation / Environmental Awareness via Gravitational Forces

Implants: NIDA / Neural Implanted Digital Assitant AI (Provides Heads Up Display to Aid Targeting & Trajectory, Military Database Access, GPS Mapping, Schedule Planner, and Weekly WebComic Feed) / Monofiliment Grappler Wires Housed in Forearms
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

GloomCookie

Characters will be allowed one of two types of weapons, though there will be more types than these in the game itself, both by humans and by the aliens.

Allowed Weapons
Laser Pistol/Rifle Using a special gas mixture that reacts violently when excited, the laser pistol/rifle fires a concentrated laser beam capable of penetrating steel at a rate of 10cm/sec, though can only penetrate tritanium armor at a rate of 5cm/sec.  The weapons do not overheat and can be fired in continuous or pulsed mode with a wide or narrow beam setting.  There are no stun settings with this weapon.  If the forward lens is scratched or deformed, the rifle cannot function and may destroy its own focusing lens when fired, rendering the rifle useless.  As a result, a thick cover slides into place over the end of the barrel until just prior to being fired.  The rifle is able to be used up to 72 hours without need for recharging, though the pistol is limited to a 24 hour charge.

Mass Drivers While considered primitive in regards to the laser pistol, the mass drivers available to military personnel are much greater in both firepower and ability than civilian versions.  Using a block of lightweight aluminum rods compacted together, the pistol sheers each round off the block and loads it into the magnetic chamber, ready to fire.  When the operator pulls the trigger, the projectile is launched at 2000m/s at the target.  Due to the high speed, light weight and aerodynamic profile, the projectile suffers little from gravity and wind, allowing some operators to hit targets up to 700m away with a pistol.  The rounds are designed to shatter upon hitting metal walls, making them safe for use aboard ships in space, though limiting its use on armored targets, unless special armor penetrating rounds are used instead.

Human Weapons
Lattice Pistol Developed around the same time as the military's mass drivers, the Lattice Pistol is a different beast entirely.  Using a compressed wire spring that expands inside the chamber prior to being fired, the round is designed to slice rather than impact the target.  When encountering metal, the round bounces harmlessly off, but when the round passes through flesh, it cuts perfect holes in the victim all the way through.  The rounds were made illegal because even minor wounds to non-vital areas were cut so cleanly, many victims bled out before they could be treated.  This weapon is a favorite among criminal groups because of its ability to inflict fatal injuries from minor wounds.

Stun Pistols While stun pistols have been around for years, few make their way into the hands of the military because of their inability to penetrate armor.  Using a contained plasma envelope, the pistol fires a dart of highly magnetized metal at the target.  The plasma follows, and upon hitting the target, immediately tries to ground itself.  The effects on humans, when not armored, is enough to stun a man unconscious for up to six hours.  However, because plasma weapons are still in their infancy, the rifle only carries three shots before needing to be reloaded, rendering the weapon almost useless for anything other than police operations.

Human Ship Weapons
Torpedoes While lasers are common aboard starships and on the ground, heavier weapons are needed for puncturing the armor of many rogue ships.  Torpedoes used by modern warships are designed to be mostly fire and forget, though many operators remain in contact with the torpedoes until the last possible second.  Each torpedo comes with a replacement charge, enabling the warhead to be swapped for High Explosive, Bomb-Pumped Lasers or Nuclear warheads.  While nuclear warheads are commonly used in space, bomb pumped lasers are often used inside a planet's atmosphere.  When detonated, the bomb pumped lasers use a device to generate intensely powerful x-rays that lace the target randomly, slicing through armor and flesh up to 10 meters.  Beyond that range, the x-rays become harmless, except for slight radiation burns.

Armor
Ceramic Armor Using advancements made in the 21st century, armor designers have made lightweight, flexible armor that maintains the properties of ceramics when hit by projectiles, but remains flexible like cloth otherwise.  The material is common enough that many civilians can purchase it for private protection, though the ceramic does nothing when hit by a lattice round or laser.  Only the availability of the armor makes it practical for most operations.

Tritanium Using advanced metallurgy technology, tritanium is used in the production of warship armor because of its ability to withstand enormous amounts of damage.  While unavailable in personal armor, tritanium is often set in thick sheets with self-sealing membranes between each sheet, for a maximum of three sheets.  Never has a ship been punctured while using tritanium armor beyond combat situations.  The self-sealing membrane ensures that lasers that penetrate the hull are immediately sealed.

Colony Nautica
The Nautica colony follows the progression of most colony worlds in that the original colony ships were the focus of the colony during its early development.  Spreading radially out from the four points that originally encompassed the colony, the older regions of the cities tend to have curved streets that radiate out, with streets pointing inwards.  Along the outer edges, as the streets meet, they eventually become a grid with rounded corners.  Due to the abundance of land further in, most civilians live in suburbs and commute via transit tubes to their work, either in the glittering spires of financial institutions or to manufacturing centers.  Most raw materials are mined elsewhere and shipped to the manufacturing planets.

The city enjoys clean streets, with bright white pavement.  Most cars are Opposed Gravity cars, letting them hover five to ten meters above the surface.  Embedded in the concrete are sensors to let the driverless vehicles maneuver without causing collisions to the few vehicles driven by people.  Because there is no ground traffic, pedestrians use the streets to walk on, and thus sidewalks are eliminated.  Strips of luminescent material absorb light and re-emit it at night, replacing the need for streetlamps.  As far as most are concerned, the majority of people transit via underground trains that float on a cushion of opposed gravity pads, letting them travel up to 300km/hr.

Civilians enjoy many of the technologies of Earth, such as food and beverage synthesizers.  While the majority enjoy fresh foods, synthesizers enable cheap food production that almost matches the real article.  Opposed gravity pads mounted under beds let users adjust the amount of gravity that affects them, letting them enjoy reduced or non-gravity when sleeping.  The pads only affect an area up to one meter above themselves, keeping users from floating away during the night.  Advancements in medicine have eliminated almost all cases of disabilities, and most are caught and corrected at birth.
My DeviantArt

Genbu83

Ark D. "Sentinel" Sterling

Very much the soldier type. Ark powers manifested in ways that obviouus made him well suited for combat. While he has found subtle use for his abilities, being a bright lad. Sterling is aware that he has gifts suited for direct confrontation. He is somewhat jealous of the more practical powers of his "brood", but he accepts his place. yes he'd love to fly, read minds, or see the future, but realizes he is still suited for what is needed, a fight. Of all the cadets, Sterling tries to use his gifts when warranted, but not before. Which also gives him a great degree of control of his unic powers and enhancements. Though he does not need a lot of equipment, He likes to carry a full load out and then some when possible. He at least does his job well.

Powers:

Kinnetic Field Generation: Can form objects based on will that manifest as telekinetic energy. Objects are often simple in form and function, such as melee weapons and shields, but more complex or abstract construction is possible. The power and complexity of the object determines the difficulty and fatigue induced by manifestation.

Energy Manipulation and Manifestation: The ability to gather, absorb, store, discharge, and change available energy. Something as simple as pulling a body's bioelectric current to produce a static discharge, to draining a car battery to produce a plasma bolt. only pure forms of energy may manifest. So all energy absorbed will be discharged as electricty, heat/fire, or kinetic force. The ability to absorb and store energy gives limited resistance to fire, electirc, and other energy sources or attack forms. The more energy present the easier it is to use this ability. So obviously artic regions limit this power significantly, unless significant energy is available.

Psychometabolic control: Using Psychic ability to control, enhance, and repair the body within some limits. Slowing bloodloss, closing some wounds, enhanced healing, heightened sense, or augmenting human ability are all possibilites, but take focus to maintain. These abilities enhance Sterling as a soldier and make him either a more capable fighting machine or more difficult to disable.

Cybernetics

Environment adaptation nanites: Provided Sterling still has a a bioelectric current, these machines adapt his body to survive in environments that would be too harsh for a regular human to endure. Reinforcing his bones in dense gravity environments, filtering out radiation in the void and near nuclear materials, Screening for toxic particles, and producing oxygen, are all done by these machines. It does not make him forego food, drink, oxygen, or rest. however these machines keep him operationational in environments lethal to most humans without special equipment.

Nanite Skin Graft: acting as an additional skin laer; Sterling's skin is comprised of nanomachines designed for military armor. This "Smart Skin" reacts to known threats and hazards as well as the environment. Reflexively it hardens against impacts or flakes away when exposed to energy. when used actively it can mimic more advanced armor or be used to camoflaguage Sterling. This is not light bending technology or thermal shielding, as he can still be seen and injured. He is just more resistant to weaponry, depending upon the weapon. The main drawback to this augmentation is that Sterling must consume nearly three times the food that a normal human does to keep a steady supply of nanites to retain his natural armor. If he doesn't the armor becomes ineffective after a few days until the nanite generators have sufficient building materials again.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm.. makes me break out my old C-punk books and think of a psychic set with a close personal focus (TK field) and Bio-feedback routines and implants like a 'war gland' and such. :D

kckolbe

Oh wow, this is amazing.  Any interest in a less-talented psychic, one who showed potential as an eight year old but just didn't develop like the rest?  I would develop him more as a skill type, with only one power.
EDIT: I will wait for a later date to jump in and see how things go.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread