Movies You Feel Bad About Not Liking?

Started by LostInTheMist, January 15, 2015, 06:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

There's a movie out there (and I watched it on Netflix of all places) called "Nude Nuns with Big Guns". As a man with a great love for cheap, low budget, cheesy, campy action flicks I thought you couldn't possibly make a better movie for me and the title alone meant it would be well worth a watch.

It wasn't so much that it was bad. It was that it was boring. How you make a film about nuns who get nude, have lesbian sex and use guns... sometimes at the same time... boring I don't know (although the fact the biggest gun used was a machine gun doesn't help) but they did. And I felt bad because a title like that deserves to be a classic of the genre.

On a more serious note I don't particularly rate the Dark Knight or Heath Ledger's performance as the Joker. That's not to say they're bad... I thought both were good, but there's a big difference between good and brilliant. I think Ledger was far better in Brokeback Mountain and deserved his Oscar for that more than for his role as the Joker; my personal view is that there was an element of Scorsese’s best director nod to it... just as the Academy made up for Scorsese not winning the award for some of his superior earlier work I think they somewhat made up for Ledger not winning for Brokeback by giving him it then.

SapphireStar

Just watched Into the Woods. It was alright. Meryl Streep was good as the Witch. Chris Pine on the other hand, not so much. It was agony listening to him sing. Like him better as Captain Kirk.

Oniya

It's a curse of the role - you've heard of the Superman curse?  The Captain Kirk curse involves a catastrophic affect on one's ability to carry a tune, even with a bucket.

(If you don't believe me, look up some of Shatner's recordings.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on April 09, 2015, 11:05:52 AM
It's a curse of the role - you've heard of the Superman curse?  The Captain Kirk curse involves a catastrophic affect on one's ability to carry a tune, even with a bucket.

(If you don't believe me, look up some of Shatner's recordings.)

Like when he sang Rocketman
:.*takes a sanity loss*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lul-Y8vSr0I

Inkidu

Not to speak ill of the dead, but that particular curse seems to extend to the whole bridge crew. Anyone remember Leonard Nimoy's singing career?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaptainNexus616

I just can't get into Star Trek in general. My dad and step dad are definite Star Trek fans and use to always watch the re runs that aired on Sci-Fi (Yes back before it was SyFy). For some reason I really can't enjoy the fandom despite my love for science fiction.

I hoped different for the 2009 movie but again.....bleh. I dunno what it is but I just can't enjoy the movies or the fandom in general so I'm sorry if I have offended any Trekkies here :(
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Oniya

Quote from: Inkidu on April 09, 2015, 07:12:56 PM
Not to speak ill of the dead, but that particular curse seems to extend to the whole bridge crew. Anyone remember Leonard Nimoy's singing career?

Yep.  Shatner was worse.  At least in most of his pieces, Nimoy did that sort of 'speak-singing' thing.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Inkidu

Quote from: Oniya on April 09, 2015, 09:20:30 PM
Yep.  Shatner was worse.  At least in most of his pieces, Nimoy did that sort of 'speak-singing' thing.
Obviously, the captain gets the brunt, but I suppose the sample size might be too small.

Anyone know if Mr. Takei has a singing career? XD
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

CaptainNexus616

▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Oniya

Here's the exception that proves the rule (pardon the unfortunate thumbnail):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrckNMfQj6c

Better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwxLPR6sU3A

And today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK-vaHImX1c

gaggedLouise

Well, to do Rocket Man in a creditable way, you have to know how to actually sing - like, shape a few lines, hit some high notes and...you know..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYSCHKmvcIY

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Bloodied Porcelain

I'm probably going to be crucified to some degree for this... but anything Star Wars or Star Trek. I can barely sit through any of them, and I generally walk away feeling like I've just lost/wasted hours of my life watching them. >.> Most of my friends are huge fans of one or the other or both, so I tend to get a lot of dirty and/or surprised looks for admitting I don't like them.

I could tolerate Episode I well enough... though that's because I enjoyed the part of the movie everyone else hated. Jar Jar was so dumb it was like watching a B-Flick. Comical to the point of absurdity, and it made me feel slightly less like curling up and dying right there in the theatre.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Deamonbane

Scarface. Pretty much just watching Al Pacino work his bad accent, and then die in the end. No likable characters, no plot to speak of, just.... all around crap. I can't say I feel bad about not liking it, but I can't understand how it got as much hype as it did.

Still Alice. I still blame Moore for ruining the Hannibal movies, and I cringe every time I see her on screen. And watching the movie that everyone was raving about, I was cringing. I was cringing so bad.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Valerie

Thor, Captain America, the Hobbit trilogy.

I really don't get the hype.

Inkidu

Not a movie, though it was made into one, which I understand is wretched. However, I don't care for Avatar: The Last Airbender. Tried to watch it, but it constantly reminded me of the terrible stuff I wrote in middle school. Each episode horrid reminder of just how bad I really was. :P

Beorning

Quote from: Freya on April 11, 2015, 06:00:02 PM
Thor, Captain America, the Hobbit trilogy.

I really don't get the hype.

I have very mixed feelings about "The Hobbit", too...

Uebelator

I'm not the biggest fan of the Hobbit either. Too long, too self-referential and Jackson is too much in love with his own Lot trilogy.
And it doesn't help that the story is pretty stupid too.

Inkidu

Quote from: Uebelator on April 12, 2015, 09:11:54 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of the Hobbit either. Too long, too self-referential and Jackson is too much in love with his own Lot trilogy.
And it doesn't help that the story is pretty stupid too.
Well, the story gets bogged down in a lot of that useless love-triangle and necromancer stuff that pads it out. If they'd stuck to the actual narrative of the book you'd have two awesomely done movies about a grand, dragon-slaying adventure.

The parts that are actually in the book have a lot of genuine feel, but Jackson was in love with his LotR trilogy.

CaptainNexus616

The third movie would have been immensely better without Alfrid....nuff said

Uebelator

It might have been okay if they did just one movie. But three of them?
I haven't even seen the third one yet because the first two were actually pretty painful to watch. Those dwarves were annoyingly incompetent, stumbling around like fools, getting taken prisoner by everyone and their mother and generally never making a decision on their own after they left The Shire. It really feels like the stupid cartoon- version of LotR, that should have been made for children, but somehow they all ended up chopping off limbs again. But the stupid humour remained.

CassieBear

I watched the Hobbit cartoon as a kid and wasn't the biggest fan of it, so I never really saw the point in watching the like action movies. I would also get so antsy when it came to the LotR; I just couldn't sit still and watch them.

I couldn't stand a lot of the things the Coen brother did... but the one that I just can't sit through; I feel like I'm wasting my time with it is The Big Lebowski. I love all the actors who are in it, Jeff Bridges, Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, Mr. Hoffman, Tara Reid... but just not in this movie.
Ideas|O/O's|Post Tracker
Click Me!
Random PMs always welcome.
Roleplays:Not actively seeking.
Posting Frequency: Up to a Month
Replies Owed: 1 of 4

CutiebyNight

The Avengers falls into this category for me. I'm a pretty big Marvel dork and read on average about six or seven comics a week... but I have never liked the team-up stories.

There is something about having all of the heroes in one place that hits a sour note for me. I like to have the focus primarily on one or two characters, and with The Avengers I felt like there was less actual story than in the previous Marvel efforts. The plot was all about 'how these personalities work together as a unit to stop Loki', but I already knew most of them from their respective movies. I know the fun is in seeing how everyone interacts, but I didn't feel the whole Loki centric conflict was strong enough to carry two films (Thor being the first).

It is a shame because I love Joss Whedon and I love Marvel, so admitting that I was bored by it usually ends up getting me weird looks from my social circles for some reason.

CaptainNexus616

Second Pirates of the Carribean film for me. Its just my personal opinion I just didn't enjoy it that much except for the surprise ending.

Zekromnomnom

For me, and I think I already posted in here like a year ago, but anyway, for me the Hobbit trilogy definitely is one. Because for the books, I always found the Hobbit a lot better and more readable than LotR. Just shorter and more succinct and not nearly so wordy. I always liked Bilbo much better than Frodo and the LotR movies made this even more apparent (they made Frodo look like such a wuss) so I was sure I would like the Hobbit movies much better and Martin Freeman (is that how it's spelled?) really was one of the few parts I liked. And I definitely thought his part could have been better.

I've heard people say a lot of the things they added in the movies was stuff that was in Tolkien's original notes for the Hobbit and that several years after the original release of the Hobbit book, he wanted to release a version with all the left out stuff and someone was like "Hey, not a great idea" and if that's true, then whomever that person was had the right idea. I also kind of hated the elves in the LotR movies. Elrond wasn't nearly as much of a douche in the books. So I go into the first Hobbit movie like "Yeah, dwarves, cool. A cameo of Legolas, but whatever, man, dwarves!" and then? Just two and a half movies of hapless dwarves that would have been fun if their distinct personalities came with an ounce of competance being saved by the blond ninja of Mirkwood and the chick he's into. I say two and a half because the dwarves were almost getting it together in the first one. But it still had some elves pissing me off. Like Elrond being all like "Gandalf, bad wizard. You're grounded." Bitch, please. Gandalf the Grey has to ask your pointy eared ass for permission?

Sorry, that rant kind of got away from me.

Oniya

Quote from: Zekromnomnom on July 19, 2015, 09:21:35 AM
I've heard people say a lot of the things they added in the movies was stuff that was in Tolkien's original notes for the Hobbit and that several years after the original release of the Hobbit book, he wanted to release a version with all the left out stuff and someone was like "Hey, not a great idea" and if that's true, then whomever that person was had the right idea. I also kind of hated the elves in the LotR movies. Elrond wasn't nearly as much of a douche in the books. So I go into the first Hobbit movie like "Yeah, dwarves, cool. A cameo of Legolas, but whatever, man, dwarves!" and then? Just two and a half movies of hapless dwarves that would have been fun if their distinct personalities came with an ounce of competance being saved by the blond ninja of Mirkwood and the chick he's into. I say two and a half because the dwarves were almost getting it together in the first one. But it still had some elves pissing me off. Like Elrond being all like "Gandalf, bad wizard. You're grounded." Bitch, please. Gandalf the Grey has to ask your pointy eared ass for permission?

I think I'm glad I stuck with the Rankin/Bass versions.