The Passerby

Started by dakabn, July 17, 2011, 09:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakabn

No longer relevant, but thanks for all the responses!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
This can work as a one on one, but very welcoming to being a large group RP.

This story will be based on the timeline and events of World War 2. Certain things have been added for creative license. This is NOT an accurate re-enactment. Nor is it intended to be. In other words, just play. No debates over the actual historical facts. Nor will I let ANYTHING go. Use common sense. No personal computers or cell phones.

Players are welcome to join as pub patrons or other “refugees” or enemies. Yes, I am asking for people to play Jews. It is only because that is what adds the most suspense. If you do not wish to play a Jew, that is fine. There's enough excitement in that time for even the non-Jews. Especially the ones who disageed with Hitler.

INTRODUCTION

Our game begins February 1939. Germany has begun invading cities and country sides. Out of fear, France had restricted travel in and out of the country.

Around mid-January, Kaylie Jones (me) had arrived on assignment from a New York magazine to photograph main attractions for a travel piece. Traveling with her is colleague Jack Whitaker (needed partner).

They had taken residence in the two only rooms above a Paris pub, le Passant. The Passerby in English. This is where they remain while waiting to be able to return to the States.

Vernon and Alita Taylor, the pub owners were kind, round and middle aged. They’re highly guarded secret, especially now, was they were Jews. (Will need two players for this, but could be played by me, my partner or both could be played by one other person.)

SEASON ONE - 1939

EPISODE ONE - Stuck

Kaylie and Jack look at a newspaper and discover that travel has been shut down. They travel to the airport and discover this is indeed true.

On the way back to the Pub, they run into car trouble. They wait for hours until finally a car comes by. Knowing limited French, they find it hard to communicate. They finally get them to understand they need to get back to le Passant. The driver orders them to the back of the truck where there are “leftovers” from a pig delivery.

Upon entering the pub, they notice Alita acting strangely. She’s singing to herself in another language. Not English or French. They see Vernon come in and from little French they understand, they hear him tell her to hush, customers are coming soon.

Jack and Kaylie go back to their rooms to bathe and change after the smelly ride home. They meet downstairs in the corner table of the Pub to discuss their next steps.

They talk to Vern and Alita about working to earn their keep. Vern and Alita agree.

EPISODE TWO – The Runaway

Jack awakes early to join Vern on a fishing trip. They hope to have fresh fish to serve tonight.

A young woman (needed player) is knocking frantically at the door. Waking Kaylie, she goes down to see what the commotion is. Alita had already opened the door and let the woman in offering her a glass of water. Knowing little French, Kaylie offers little help, but learns the girl’s name is Claire. Alita says Claire needs to rest and Kaylie helps her up to her own room. Alita, in broken English, explains that Claire is running from her father. She had fallen in love with a Jewish boy and this is the very people causing the trouble.

That afternoon, the men come in excited. They had caught 10 large fish. Well, one, but the market where they went said the other 9 were fresh. Jack, excited over his first catch, runs up to tell Kaylie. He opens the door without knocking, exclaiming his big catch holding it in the air. He is met by a screaming strange woman. Kaylie runs out of the bathroom with a robe and towel. Vern and Jack are filled in about the girl

That evening, Jack helps Vern cook the fish while Alita, Kaylie and Claire serve the guests.

EPISODE 3 & BEYOND

This is where the Jewish boyfriend (need player) comes in. The rooms are now double booked. Claire and Kay in one room. Jack and Claire's Boyfriend in another.

TBC

Sarah Morgan

This sounds like an interesting start so far, and I like how you've left things open for other plot developments, once all the main characters are introduced.  I wouldn't mind playing Claire, and I assume she's Jewish too?  I always was interested in doing a Holocaust-type game, but I never could come up with an idea for one myself.  I could see this as being a long-term story, if it generates enough interest, maybe even with possible concentration camp involvement later on.

dakabn

It's not actually my idea. I took it from a Free Form RP chat room I happened upon ages ago on a server where I played in a Star Trek sim. People had taken an episode in ST: Voyager where these hunter aliens were making the crew be characters in a Holodeck program in WW2. In that Holoprogram was a bar...

So some people decided to make a RP out of the bar and make it it's own. Inspired by a ST episode, but ST isn't involved at all. I only mention it so people don't get the wrong idea that I'm that clever. Sadly, I don't know who actually thought of the idea originally.

And you can make claire whatever you want. :)

And it is intended to be a long-term story.

And we can definitely move it to concentration camp. And I think for that reason, we'd put it in the extreme section. But I think that'll also be awhile before it gets to that point. Depends on how things go.

dakabn

We could also expand this to the whole town. The pub itself was good for IRC play (where I discovered this idea) but for a forum group game, I think I need to say the whole town is playable area.

QuoteCharacter Types Needed

Secret Police / Nazis

Jews (either secretly or wearing the star)

Citizens that are against Hitler

Citizens that are Hitler sympathizers

We also don't need to follow the episode guide at all. I still want to play a visiting American, but if no one wants to take the other role, then I can be the only one. If someone wants to come in later, well they meet later. :)

Altair1983

This seems interesting would you mind someone playing an older officer from WWI, who remains in the german military but sympathizes with the french citizens and resistance as a hope of ending hitlers foolsihness and return germany to its true glory not hitlers maddness.

dakabn

Sure! :) This might just turn into a sandbox game where I don't GM. Well, I suppose we do need to enforce a timeline.