Blood Ring arena (3.5 DnD planar arena game in Sigil)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, September 25, 2008, 06:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Just ask folks who may be interested on planar setting 3.5 edition DnD arena game? Not char creation rules yet set but I amallowing wide range of sources and so far higher level than 1 is in mind. Game is run by me mostly but also have Shadowheart work as co-DM and run a NPC figure as I do in-game also.

Game was inspired by Dance in Ruins game which sadly died by DM becoming too busy with RL issues. Anycase besides 3.5 basic rules there will be critical fumbles and successes in use (will post table in public view once game starts) and also you have chance to daze/stun foes with massive damage (which is 1/2 Con / egual to Con score respectively).

Anycase inquire how many players would want join such game? Any sexual activity in the game happens most likely outside the arena (either affair between gladiators who have bought their freedom but still stay arena for gold and glory or just pleasure or between patrons who pay cell watcher to have private time with handsome gladiator or between gladiator and prize concubine after a match) but as patrons of the arena are evil outsiders the outright rape scene in arena floor can be nothing more than exciting entertainment to the bloodthirsty crowd with no morals.

So, game has spot for many gladiators and amtches are not always one vs one or not evne sandy floor or even against a fellow players (can be team fight vs dragon, can be battle inside a cage which slowly islowered to acid pool etc).

Anycase inspiration for arena events and relationships are from roman empire gladiator sports where roman elite enjoyed bloodsports, even women who sometimes bribed guards allow them spend time with gladiators who to them were handsome and attractive because romen women found man who dealed death attractive.

As I already said patrons are evil outsiders so as warning to gladiators you may get some female/male monstrous outsider have fun with you (do you want it or not at start of the game, it all depends on your success/combat style in arena and Cha score. later if you buy your freedom you can decide do you receive such visitors or not).

Also as note in arena I will have 'popularity' system which basically increases your income (or decreases if goes negative) per match. Popularity is mostly determined by variant rules presented in Complete Warrior, also by use of Perform:Weapon Drill (all classes with +1 BAB in first level has this skill as class skill), Diplomacy or Intimidate check vs the crowd.

Idej

Zaer Darkwail

Examples; All Complete Books. Book of Nine Swords, Incarnum, Tome of Magic, Eberron books (but no action point stuff, all action point using abilities become 1/day thingies), most forgotten realms stuff, Heroes of Horror etc.

Jefepato

I might be interested.  How do you feel about monster characters?

Idej

No Dragonlance, darn I wanted to play a Draconian this time around, but oh well, there are plenty of options still available to be used.
*laughs hideously*

One more question, is it possible to take the Leadership feat if we are at 6th level or higher?

shadowheart

As Zaer noted, I am in this as a co-DM and to run an NPC character or two.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Jefepato on September 25, 2008, 03:16:38 PM
I might be interested.  How do you feel about monster characters?

I am okay with them. You just need fill up the monster HD + LA to the levels available.

Quote from: Idej on September 25, 2008, 03:45:27 PM
No Dragonlance, darn I wanted to play a Draconian this time around, but oh well, there are plenty of options still available to be used.
*laughs hideously*

One more question, is it possible to take the Leadership feat if we are at 6th level or higher?

Not as 'starting feat' as all start as slaves in the arena. But once you earn freedom by buying it from arena master (who is devil somesort) and if you remains as independent gladiator you can THEN pick leadership feat during leveling up. Choices what you can do as free gladiator varies; Continue solo career or found a stable. Stable you can add any free/slave gladiator (which you buy from arena master) and use your own gladiators fight in several solo matches or in group matches. I recommend you hire arena manager in either case to deal boring paper work parts and leave only to you the big decisions or detailed decisions.

Idej

I wanted to see if I could become a naturally born werewolf lord using these rules found on the Wizards site.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a&pf

I always wanted to try this out anway, and with Barbarian and/or Fighter for levels later, you can become a melee monster pretty fast.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, I approve it but it will be long time before you reach pinnacle of your 'class build'.

Idej

Nah, having a change in mind.  Thinking on being an Elven Shadowcaster that bears the Dragonmark of Shadows.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, it is cool concept also :). Anycase there has been no discussion in char creation rules or such. I thinked the 5-7 level range is good for everyone with 32 point buy. At this point you have no gear besides clothes on though but in arena matches at start get masterwork armor/shield and 1 weapon of choice. HP either rolled on Elliquiy or 1/2 HD +1.

Idej

Alright, 7th level isn't too bad, I can have 2 levels in the Master of Shadow PrC and begin to have a nice Shadow Elemental for me to command. ;D

It is your call on that one, but either way it doesn't bother me.  5th level I would need to wait one more before I can take it, and 6th level will only allow 1 level into the class, but it is your call fearless DM and Co-DM.

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I would vote for 7lvl so everyone can have quite decent abilities, start of PrC etc.

Idej

7th-level it is.

Soon to be introducing...

Uthis Lamah d'Phiarlan, an Assistant Director in the Entertainer's Guild and Agent of the Serpentine Table.

5th-Level Shadowcaster/ 2nd-Level Master of Shadow

Idej

Here is something that I think would allow this type of game be a bit more interesting.

Taking a page from Unearted Arcana, Weapon Group Feats.

I honestly think it will allow characters to create more unique gladiators.

I found the information on the SRD.

Here is the link

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm

Jefepato

Quote from: Idej on September 26, 2008, 10:42:12 PM
Here is something that I think would allow this type of game be a bit more interesting.

Taking a page from Unearted Arcana, Weapon Group Feats.

I honestly think it will allow characters to create more unique gladiators.

I found the information on the SRD.

Here is the link

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/weaponGroupFeats.htm

How do you figure?  This variant complicates proficiencies a little, but doesn't seem to change our options in any meaningful way.  Especially in a game where we only get one weapon each.

Idej

Well think, you are trained in a weapon that is very similar to another.  For example, if you know how to fight well and have Weapon Focus, Improved Critical, and various other feats with a rapier, wouldn't a similar weapon per say an Elven Thinblade be allowed for you to apply to those feats?

And what if your weapon breaks?  Yeah they are masterwork, but so is your opponents weapon as well, and they have a weapon like a Greatsword and you have Bastard Sword.  In effect if you wield a Bastard Sword in two-hands it is like a Greatsword so why not allow the feats you have put into that weapon be applied to that one.  Even bows are very similar as well.

All I am saying is that it is nice to not be screwed over due to specializing in one weapon.  And it makes weapon feats more appealing, at least to me that is.

Zaer Darkwail

I can allow weapon group proficiencies but each one decides what is best proficiency method for them. Either group or general one but lack ability to specialize into group of weapons.

Idej

Nah, forget it.  Jefepato has a point there for this game.  For simplicity's sake lets just stick with the norm.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok :). Anycase anyone have friends or folks who want join this game? Would prefer have 3-5 gladiators at start.

Idej

Nope, as far as I know that will be interested in this.

Then again, I might know a few people.  Let me look around and I'll let you know.

Ignaddio

I've been stalking this game for a while, I suppose I should pipe up here and say I'd be interested. So long as it's okay that once out of every four days I won't be able to post at all (as I'll be at work all day.)
Vidi, Vici, Veni*I sang, too.
 Like the Avatar? I drew it myself.

Zaer Darkwail

It is fine, I can npc chars during post intense days as I prefer a post per day. General combat npc'ing should not be big deal I think. Asuming your okay with it Ignaddio.

sleepingferret

Hmmm... I might be interested, 7th level to start you say?  Hrm... give me a chance to battle test a Ultimate Magus it would...yes yes. *grins*

Zaer Darkwail

I am okay with Ultimate Magus :). I got all complete books.