Rapture - Remnants

Started by Koekje, October 22, 2013, 11:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koekje

Lets start by quoting the Wikipedia entry on Bioshock one:

Set during 1960, in the underwater city of Rapture. A city planned and constructed in the 1940's by business magnate Andrew Ryan who wanted to create a utopia for society's elite to flourish outside of government control. Scientific progress greatly expanded, including the discovery of the plasmid ADAM created by sea slugs on the ocean floor. ADAM allowed its users to alter their DNA to grant them super-human powers like telekinesis, pyrokinesis, the power to control elektricity, ...

Despite the utopia class distinctions grew, and former gangster and businessman Frank Fontaine sought to overthrow Ryan. Fontaine created black market routes with the surface world and, together with Dr. Brigid Tenenbaum, created a cheap plasmid industry by mass-producing ADAM through the implanting of the slugs in the stomachs of orphaned girls, nicknamed "Little Sisters". Fontaine used his plasmid-enhanced army to attack Ryan but appeared to die in the battle, allowing Ryan to seize his assets including the Little Sisters. In the months that followed a second figure named Atlas rose to speak for the lower class, creating further strife. Atlas led attacks on the factories making Little Sisters, and Ryan countered by creating "Big Daddies", plasmid-enhanced humans surgically grafted into giant lumbering diving suits who were psychologically compelled to protect the Little Sisters at all costs. Ryan also created his own army of plasmid-enhanced soldiers, named "Splicers", which he controlled using pheromones distributed through Rapture's air system.

Tension came to a head on New Year's Eve of 1959, when Atlas ordered an all-out attack on Ryan. The battle left many dead, and the few sane survivors barricaded themselves away. What once was a beautiful utopia had fallen into a crumbling dystopia.

Using the voice recordings in the game you slowly get a view of the events that had transpired after New Year's Eve, including the massive chaos. But, apart from a small amount of messages, there is a lot of wiggle room in the history of Rapture. And this is where our story picks up.

You, the players, will be a group of friends celebrating New Year's Eve in the higher apartments of Rapture, not too far from the fighting yet still far enough that you aren't attacked from the start. Every one of you are part of , what we would call, the bourgeoisie. High end developers, scientists, economists or fashion models, artists, ...

Because of your wealth you have all acquired an upgrade to yourself, due to visits to the surgeons. Mostly cosmetic, so you can have the appearance you dream off without the human limitations: "Rapture is a place of dreams, after all!" Besides the cosmetic enhancements you all will start off with a useful enhancement. No actual plasmids, those are to be earned, but useful items. Further below will be a small list of examples, but you can make up your own (with approval from me).

Because of your high class background, none of you will have any real combat experience or skills, unless specifically mentioned. What I'd really like to see from you possible players is that you try to play out the character of possibly a Count/Baron/Scientist/... who is used to the very best treatment (silver spoon-like) and suddenly thrust into a civil war and getting your own hands bloody!

Depending on the amount of participants I will either hold myself to just GM everything or, in case we have a small turn-out, join you guys. Just drop a message in the threat, or PM me, in case you're interested. For those who wish to get prepped already I'll post a profile template with possible examples.

Lets make it a fun one, ol' chaps!

Profile Template :
Name: (Example: Viscount Cassandra von Luftknalle)
Appearance: (Pictures make things easier or, if you can paint a pretty word picture, go ahead!
Background: (You can talk about life before Rapture, in case your character is old enough, or you can focus on life at Rapture. Life at Rapture for the highest classes is basically doing a little science/work and a lot of partying, drinking, etc. Go as decadent as you wish. Sex parties? Who Doesn't love 'em?)
Enhancements: Most of these are cosmetic adjustments to allow you the appearance you truly wish for. Steampunk is the theme so go wild with what you can imagine. Memory cards in your mind for extra memory, enhancements to your nose to be able to smell better than a dog, etc
Plasmids: None to start with. You'll have to earn/find/buy these during the story!
Weapons: None to start with. You'll have to earn/find/buy these during the story!
He who acts honestly, hardly ever meets with trouble,
he who speaks honestly, hardly ever escapes trouble.
O'O's

Koekje

No takers at all? (Desperate self bump! :p)
He who acts honestly, hardly ever meets with trouble,
he who speaks honestly, hardly ever escapes trouble.
O'O's

WashAutumstar

I would be interested, if there was more people ;)

“Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating." - Simon Pegg