Kids tv has changed a lot since then

Started by HairyHeretic, December 25, 2008, 07:20:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZLXGuC4Us&feature=related

For the vast majority of those who won't know what this is, it was a kids tv show on UK TV called Rainbow that was on decades ago. Enjoy  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

RubySlippers

magnamos

I was more into Cartoons and the degeneration in regards of cartoons to the present day is scary. The best example would be the original Transformers. They had a metal intro, they showed that acting for a greater good and values like turth and honor are actually worth it. What do we have today? Hiphop-Rap-Intros to badly drawn shows that tell the kids it's good to pull pranks on others and just do bullshit. Where is the sense in things like Spongebob?

Batman (All kind of different shows including Batman Beyond)
The Centurions
Bionic 6
Mega Man
Swat Kats
Flash Gordon (Yes, the first thing I did when I saw it I went to the barber and got me the same haircut ^_^)
RoboCop - Alphacommando
Gargoyles (MUST SEE!!!)
Mummys Alive (was entertaining)
Silver Hawks
Thunder Cats

...just to name a few

HairyHeretic

Today has, or at least had, Invader Zim.

That counts for a lot  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Silk

This was back when there wasnt a sexual innuendo for every word in the english language ^_^

HairyHeretic

Can't say I've paid much attention for innuendo in Zim. Too busy laughing  :D

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Jag

I used to watch Are You Afraid Of The Dark?, Thundercats, Fraggle Rock, Pete and Pete, Salute Your Shorts, Clarissa Explains It All, Goosebumps...I was a Nick Kid growing up for the most part. >.< I still watch Thundercats and sometimes around Halloween they play Goosebumps marathons. ^_^

I can't stand some of the shows on today though. I like Avatar the Last Airbender, Samurai Jack, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends...but not much more than that. Most of it seems to be taking away my brain cells when I watch it. My little sister loves Sponge Bob and the Wiggles. I don't have a problem with the Wiggles though. I did research on them and they are actually good people, so I don't mind her watching that.
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Lilias

I'm well known for watching Lilo & Stitch and Kim Possible with my 14-year-old stepdaughter (I draw the line at Tokyo Mew Mew, though!) and for never missing any Wallace & Gromit showings. And I'm actually looking forward to getting Bagpuss and Clangers DVDs to watch with my little one.

Most of the stuff I used to watch as a child were Greek productions, including lots of puppet work and shadow theatre. If anyone put those on DVD, I'd buy instantly.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Mathim

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the classic, not the piece of crap new one they've got), Tiny Toons/Animaniacs (Go WB!), Beetlejuice the cartoon, Power Rangers, Nickelodeon's old stuff...yeah, I was addicted to TV back then. Now they've got crap like Ed, Edd and Eddy which I swear is making kids dumber. They need more shows like Animaniacs where occasionally they'll try to teach kids things. Cartoon variety shows are the best.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Lazarus

I hope you don't mind me adding my 2 cents.  I am a new member waiting for approval.  It was suggested I look through the chats and participate in some of the threads to get to know the members.  As I am a kid at heart and love cartoons, this looked like a good place to start.

It is funny reading the responses in the thread.  You can get a sense of how old someone is by what they watched while growing up.  I am old school like some of you.  I grew up with the same shows as Ruby Slippers.  I loved the old cartoons like Popeye, Superman, Spiderman and (hold on to your hats, my all time favorite) Super Friends.

Thanks for letting me participate and I look forward to getting to know you and maybe even participating in some games or role plays.  Happy New Year!
When talking to your enemies, smile....it will make them nervous!

King_Furby

yea there are some major crap shows, but there are also some really good ones. I think some people get so lost thinking about the olds shows that they don't see any charm in even the good new ones. For example Ben 10 and Ben 10 Alien Force. It's a really good show.

Lazarus

This is true.  My oldest daughter has been watching the Avatar series and that is pretty good too. I even enjoy watching that with her.

goalt

Good current animated shows include:
Avatar: The Last Airbender (Just ended recently, as much for adults as kids)
Transformers: Animated (next season coming soon)
Batman: Brave and the Bold (currently airing. Not-so-dark Batman teams up with someone every episode)
Spectacular Spiderman (next season coming soon)
So, hey. Back now, and ready to write. Woo!
O&O

Lazarus

I remember the first Transformers cartoon.  Do your remember Thunder Cats?  That one was on the edge for me.  I stopped watching cartoons after that.

goalt

Animated is MUCH better than the 1980s Transformers show.  :P
So, hey. Back now, and ready to write. Woo!
O&O

Lazarus

I agree with you.  I could never get into them.  And the toys always drove me nuts.  I guess I got the broken ones because it used to transform into something other than what it was supposed to.   ;D

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 30, 2008, 07:28:54 AM
Today has, or at least had, Invader Zim.

That counts for a lot  :D
Lasted what; two seasons. I miss that show... and the cupcake...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

WyldRanger

Speaking of old cartoons, besides the classic Looney Toons which I still watch occasionnaly, and Animaniacs *which I'd like to watch if I get ahold of some old episodes sometime*, I'd have to add Voltron to this list :)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Inkidu on January 05, 2009, 03:07:48 PM
Lasted what; two seasons. I miss that show... and the cupcake...

Thereabouts. Not sure if the second season was finished or not.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Winds Of Lust

Quote from: magnamos on December 29, 2008, 02:58:10 AM

Batman (All kind of different shows including Batman Beyond)
The Centurions
Bionic 6
Mega Man
Swat Kats
Flash Gordon (Yes, the first thing I did when I saw it I went to the barber and got me the same haircut ^_^)
RoboCop - Alphacommando
Gargoyles (MUST SEE!!!)
Mummys Alive (was entertaining)
Silver Hawks
Thunder Cats

Save for Silver hawks and Flash gordon I seen and loved all those shoes when I was growing up.
I can't believe someone else knows about Centurions. Such a great show but I was the only one in my area that ever watched it!

Inkidu

Another good one is the Spider-Man cartoon in the mid to late nineties.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

DeviantWolf

Oh man I am on another board and a similar topic came up just the other day.  Talking about old commercials that then spawned into old TV shows.  So many to list but wow the reminiscing kinda gets to you when you think about all that has changed since then.

Here's a few that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

He-man
Shera
Voltron!!!
Ghostbusters.

Nickelodean shows like:
You can't do that on Television with the slime all the time.
That show at the Ranch?  Can't remember the name.
I remember having a crush on the girl from Clarissa Explains it all.

Can't forget all the Friday night shows either on network TV:
Family Matters with Erkle
Full house with the Olsen Twins!
Step by Step was it?  The 80's version of the Brady Bunch
Growing Pains
~~ I'm loving what you wanna wear ~~
~~ I wonder what's up under there? ~~
~~ Wonder if I'll ever have it under my tongue? ~~

magnamos

Quote from: Winds Of Lust on January 05, 2009, 03:55:29 PM
Save for Silver hawks and Flash gordon I seen and loved all those shoes when I was growing up.
I can't believe someone else knows about Centurions. Such a great show but I was the only one in my area that ever watched it!

Same here! Actually it was more an accident. I always messed with horizontal and vertical frequencys as a kid when my father wasn't around and suddendly I hit Astra 1d which aired Cartoon Network. I saved it to a spot in the reciever that noone would look for that fast (666 :) ). That station is the reason for my messed up english! Many people in my area didn't even know that there was a station called Cartoon Network! I totally loved that show <3

Power Extreme! *spawns a myriad of weaponry and equipment that attaches to his body and flys away*

Malrunar

Does anyone remember the cartoon Mighty Max? King Arthor and the knights of the round table (Who were really football players, lol) Hmmm.... Eureka's Castle. That...elephant show. "Skiddery dink a rinky dink, skiddery dink a do. I love you!" Good lord what else? Mummies alive! G.I Joes... that 3d show of animals who were really robots...one of them was a rat who cracked me up. Annnnd Gummy Bears! Where they drank that juice and bounced around  ;D

Classics

The Overlord

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 26, 2008, 12:16:36 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_and_the_Sea_Monsters

LOL this one is a real time warp for me. The characters were so strange and bizarre; these little green Cthulhu things have been stamped in my memory ever since I watched this, long after I had forgotten the show. A web search not too long ago brought this up and I realized everything we see as a child is stamped on neurons somewhere, even if they haven't fired in decades.

OK, how many here remember these little gems? I grew up with this stuff. Jason of Star Command; hard to miss how...Han-Soloey he is, ROFL.

And let's not forget the Wave Motion Gun, which we all waited for them to fire. This was pretty much the ultimate sci-fi B.F.G., eclipsed perhaps only by the main gun on the Death Star.