Stargate Meets Firefly

Started by Cyclops, December 01, 2009, 12:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclops

I had this idea...  What if in the storyline if Firefly someone finds a Stargate?  I mean it is possable that could happen, SGC was in the "Earth that Was" long gone and forgotten.  One ship, not Alliance finds a gate and starts to experiment with it.

Comments?  Interest?
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

ShamshielDF

Could definitely be interesting, though I think it would need a lot more fleshing out before I could really come up with a solid idea to work with.

Would this take place before or after events in the movie?
Would the group that finds the gate be akin to the Serenity crew (smugglers/thieves) or simply some other group staying well outside of the Alliance reach?
How extensive of Stargate/Firefly lore do you want?  I've seen all of Serenity (series and movie) as well as the Stargate movie and several of the original TV series.
Will the gate be linked to the normal Stargate universe or something only within their parallel universe/galaxy?
What sort of game are you looking for?  Non-adult, NC-E...
etc, etc...

Could maybe be interested ^_^
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Cyclops

Well, all good questions and you're right...  The post was pretty much just to see if anyone was interested in the idea in general.

I would think that this is after the Serenity movie, and would not involve the crew of Serenity, but I am torn on the kind of crew.  Could be very interesting to do a very bad crew, as in die hard smugglers and such.  Traders perhaps in slaves and anything else, no limits to what they will or can do.  There is also the opposite, a straight running crew.

The Stargate would be connected to the Stargate network as it would exist in the Stargate Lore, but I was thinking something more similar to the Stargate network they found in Atlantis, made for space travel.  The newest show of Stargate Universe seems to imply that Stargates are placed on planets across many different universes, not just ours or Pegasus, this could lead to the crew being transported between someplace unreachable by the Alliance.

If it would be the smuggler crew who were ruthless, I'd enjoy the contrast of going to worlds of 'good' trusting people to take advantage of.  If it would be the other crew I would like those of the worlds on the other side of the gate to be ruthless - lots of conflict.

Given the world of Firelfy I would lean toward the ruthless crew.

I would think Adult, with elements of non-consensual and perhaps even the possibility for sex with alien life.

Considering the Firefly universe takes place away from "Earth that Was" it is possible that they could be in an area without more than the one Stargate that the crew will find.  I don't see why it would have to be parallel as they are not mutually exclusive.
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

DarkDaemon

I'm interested. What type, though- freeform, structured?
As for the crew, I would think ruthless- but still good guys. They've just had do live in a rough universe. They won't stab you in the back (Unless you pissed em off enough), they don't go back on deals (Unless the deal's gone south) and they never hurt children (Unless the pay is that good.

What I think would be great, is if they find that they have a shuttle that fits just right into a stargate. Oh, the fun we could have...
I will have limited access 12/22 through 1/1.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Cyclops

I like that...

Well, as seen in Atlantis the Jumpers fit perfectly into the gates, they found find a Puddle Jumper somewhere and that is what leads them to the gate.  Good little ships.  Unless we want to do bigger gates that fit bigger ships, though I suppose we could go way into the weird and have them find a Super-Gate as in the Ori conflict from SG-1.

DarkDaemon

No, I'm thinking standard gates- although using an ori gate to get their ship across could be an interesting plot point.

Now, there's no way a full ship could fit through a gate, but perhaps the small shuttle attached to the larger ship can? For transporting goods, getting across the new planet faster, maybe bring in some air support or evac?
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Kitrazzle

This is a tremendously intriguing method of combining my two favorite scifi's. WOOHOO!!

I'd be okay with going as detailed with both shows' canon as you want. I've seen all of the Firefly stuff and all three shows. Or at least most of all three shows. There's always http://gateworld.net/, after all. The big questions are 1) are we still in the same universe? (I'm thinking Yes since all the maps I've seen have only had a few stars) and 2) if we are, what the hell has gone on in while we were gone? There must have been one heck of a power vacuum when the Tauri left, lots must have changed.

Hard and ruthless crew with a code of personal ethics sounds more fun, especially if some members are more willing to bend or otherwise ignore their principles then others. Insert evil giggles here.

It's more likely for the crew to be able to figure out the Gate if it's a land-based one, but an additional network of space gates would be awesome. This place where we find the Gate (probably one of the only ones in the Firefly area of space since all of those planets and moons were terraformed), would it be based around Goauld design like the Abydos map room or Lantean tech like Atlantis base?

Cyclops

Quote from: DarkDaemon on December 02, 2009, 01:29:06 AM
No, I'm thinking standard gates- although using an ori gate to get their ship across could be an interesting plot point.

Now, there's no way a full ship could fit through a gate, but perhaps the small shuttle attached to the larger ship can? For transporting goods, getting across the new planet faster, maybe bring in some air support or evac?

Two fold here...  Standard gates MIGHT fit something the side of the firefly-shuttle, though I doubt it...  As we see in Atlantis the Jumpers are barely able to fit, we know something along the lines of the death gliders fits but that is very small.

This leaves two possible suggestions...  The first is, planet-side gates unless we use a super-gate.

The second I like better...  We open the story with the crew having failed at some mission and stranded on a planet without a ship and without food or water, they are exploring trying to find such and they find a 'Lantean ship, not the size of a city or the size of the Ancient ship used in SG-Universe.  I am picturing something we have never seen before, similar in size to the Serenity.  Perhaps a bit bigger but roughly that kind of small transport vessel.  They find it on a planet and in the way of the Ancient technology that has been used it starts to power up and ready for use when they enter the vessel.  Equip it with two Jumpers as shuttles attached to the ship.  The solves the problem of how to get through gates and how the crew will get around and the standard discovery phase of figuring the ship out.  The potential friction from a failed mission also provides good role play.

Quote from: Kitrazzle on December 02, 2009, 02:52:53 AM
This is a tremendously intriguing method of combining my two favorite scifi's. WOOHOO!!

I'd be okay with going as detailed with both shows' canon as you want. I've seen all of the Firefly stuff and all three shows. Or at least most of all three shows. There's always http://gateworld.net/, after all. The big questions are 1) are we still in the same universe? (I'm thinking Yes since all the maps I've seen have only had a few stars) and 2) if we are, what the hell has gone on in while we were gone? There must have been one heck of a power vacuum when the Tauri left, lots must have changed.

Hard and ruthless crew with a code of personal ethics sounds more fun, especially if some members are more willing to bend or otherwise ignore their principles then others. Insert evil giggles here.

It's more likely for the crew to be able to figure out the Gate if it's a land-based one, but an additional network of space gates would be awesome. This place where we find the Gate (probably one of the only ones in the Firefly area of space since all of those planets and moons were terraformed), would it be based around Goauld design like the Abydos map room or Lantean tech like Atlantis base?

That is totally what made me think of it...  Two great Scifi shows!

1 - Yes, same universe, don't think we need to do parallels or anything like that.  There is enough room to have had the SGC have happened on Earth long before it as abandoned.  Additionally, we know that the Asgard are no more, as they gave their master computer to Earth.  The Guaold system lords could also be gone as well, as they were virtually crushed.  There are no long-term races that could not have changed in the really, incredibly loose (as written) amount of time that could have passed between then and the Firefly universe.

2 - This goes into 1 as well, but I picture Firefly taking place in a small section of the universe, we know galactic distances can be so great that really, only a few stars are written to exist in Firefly leaving it open to being a very small part of the Galaxy at large.  Planets that required terraforming are likely to not have gates, on average.

3 - This works to our advantage leaving almost nothing left from that era, other races in other parts of the Galaxy may be at different technology levels as well, space travelers to nonindustrial are all possible within the limits of canon.

See what I said above about the kinds of gates, except, I think if we do a ship-based then all the addresses could be in the on board computer system.  The gates would be like those in the Milky-Way network and use the same symbols.  Also, I'd think that we want to leave enough power to operate the gate without issue but not the kind of power needed to enter an 8th Symbol, if we want to do that, I'd say go with a super-gate.

An interesting side point...  What about the trans-galactic conduit proposed in SG-Atlantis?  That would be fun to play with.  If we choose NOT to go with a ship-based story, they could base themselves at the half-way point of the bridge and have access to both the Atlantis network and Milky-Way network.

DarkDaemon

Quote from: titanshadow on December 02, 2009, 07:45:36 PM
The second I like better...  We open the story with the crew having failed at some mission and stranded on a planet without a ship and without food or water, they are exploring trying to find such {...}  The potential friction from a failed mission also provides good role play.
I really like this, but for added drama- the mission failed because one crew member betrayed them. Is he/she also on the planet, and tensions arise because they're the one with the ancient gene/mcguffin to power the ship? Or did they fly away on their stolen ship, laughing- and the players want to hunt him/her down for revenge?
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

ShamshielDF

I sort of like the idea of a betrayal, either by a long time crew member who is turning the ship over to another group or by someone who recently joined, strictly for the purposes of subterfuge and theft of the ship.  If the crew had made a name for themselves, someone could want the ship just so they have the name, or to try to gain control of the party.  And when the crew comes back with yon ancient alien tech to demand their ship back...
Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

Heh heh. The mere fact that every single Stargate ship has a shield puts them a league above Serenity. I'm thinking, A stargate universe ship, in general, is a match for a serenity ship of one or two classes bigger than it.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

ShamshielDF

Yes, but I can also see the crew using said ship to get their own back, at least, at some later point.  I mean...it's the point of the thing!  You can't very well allow people to wander off with your ship without doing something about it.  I mean...what sort of pernicious space pirates would just let someone steal their boat?
Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

Oh, certainly. But I imagine it something like this.
Players, "This is the Ring of Might (Spaceship name), hailing Starjumper. Erickson, you greasy slimeball sonuvabitch, are you there?"
Erickson, "So, you fools have come back for your ship? Well, let me-"
Players, "No, you twat. We've got a better one. Fire all guns."
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Jazzturbation

I must say, I really like this idea... but I have to admit I am a lot more familiar with Firefly than I am with Star Gate.

Just throwin my name in for now, I'll be checking in to add more comments later.

Cyclops

I am posting now from my phone so I can't type loads but I wanted to put a few thoughts...

On the subject of the Ancient Gene, I picture most of them having the gene but stife coming from the fact that one does not.  That singles them out and creates a normal environment of self doubt and those aroun you making it worse.

As far as who and why of betrayal (which I like a lot) should be a trusted member if the crew who has been with them for years and takes them for everything they have, ship/money/reputation.  They chase after him (or her) in the Ancient ship figuring out how it works along the way.

Cyclops

Let's also remeber the first battle may go very badly they will not be able to read Lantean at first so for a while the ship may not have effective shields because they don't know how to turn them on.  However I digress...

The primay purpose of the game would not be to find the betrayer but instead to explore and profit from the new found gate system, but without the self imposed restrictions found in the Stargate series.  There is room for the "moral no ground", ie doing things they know are wrong but are too profitable to turn down, I kind of l am kind of liking the idea of it maybe going to some emotionally dark places and back.  A journey not just to darkness but back again sounds very compelling to me personally.

DarkDaemon

Well, yes, getting back at the betrayer won't be the crux of gameplay- more like a fun thing to do once the players have figured out the ship.

"Hey boss, we made like kings on the last run."
"Yep, Jimmy."
"What say we pay Erickson a visit?"
Boss stops what he's doing, then, "Why, I believe thats a right pretty idea. Haven't seen Erickson's ugly mug in ages, have we? Warm up the weapons, check the shields. We're going to say hi to an old friend of ours..."
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Jazzturbation

Of course, now the betrayer has to be called Erikson... I love it.

Cyclops

Quote from: DarkDaemon on December 03, 2009, 12:12:14 AM
Well, yes, getting back at the betrayer won't be the crux of gameplay- more like a fun thing to do once the players have figured out the ship.

"Hey boss, we made like kings on the last run."
"Yep, Jimmy."
"What say we pay Erickson a visit?"
Boss stops what he's doing, then, "Why, I believe thats a right pretty idea. Haven't seen Erickson's ugly mug in ages, have we? Warm up the weapons, check the shields. We're going to say hi to an old friend of ours..."

Alright, now that I like, very much...  Something they do once they figure things out.

Sounds like we're getting things flushed out pretty well...  What other concerns do people have before perhaps wanting to start a game?

ShamshielDF

How many people are we going to have as part of the crew?  And who's doing what?

In advance, I'm calling dibs on engineering ^_^
Ons and offs!
A&A

Cyclops

Well...

First we need a roster of what is required...

Basic ship positions:
Captain
1st Officer/Pilot
- (Commander Riker from ST:TNG type)
Engineer
Security/Fighter
- (Think Jane from Firefly)
Hustler
- (Think Leo Gets from Lethal Weapon / Klinger from MASH)
Doctor ??
- Someone needs to be a medic, but I don't see why that can't be doubled with someone else.

This can be expanded on if people want to double up, or shortened if people don't.

I'd like to be Captain myself, gives me control over direction and plot stuff, but I don't have to be.

We have ShamshielDF wanting to be Engineer, works for me unless we have someone else wanting to be.

Captain - Titanshadow
Pilot - ??
Fighter - ??
Engineer - ShamishielDF
Hustler - ??
Doctor - ??

DarkDaemon

Ohh... my choices, top followed by less so:

• Pilot
  • Fighter
  • Doctor
  • Hustler- is this sorta like the face?

So yeah, I'd like Pilot or maybe Fighter, but if someone will only play if they get those parts, I could do doctor or somesuch.

I'd also like to play Erickson.  :P
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Kitrazzle

My top choices are as follows:

1. Doctor
2. Hustler (Don't know Lethal Weapon, but I am well familiar with Klinger so I assume this is a Scrounger sort of thing)
3. Pilot

But I would not be able to play until after December 20th, since that's when I'm getting back from the honeymoon.

Cyclops

Quote from: DarkDaemon on December 03, 2009, 01:13:30 PM
Ohh... my choices, top followed by less so:

• Pilot
  • Fighter
  • Doctor
  • Hustler- is this sorta like the face?

So yeah, I'd like Pilot or maybe Fighter, but if someone will only play if they get those parts, I could do doctor or somesuch.

I'd also like to play Erickson.  :P

Good, because one of my weakest points is playing the evil bad guys, I don't do it very well.  So, you get to be Erickson, hands down.

Other than that...  It is up in the air.  So far, we'll say you are Pilot because it is your top priority and I don't see it elsewhere as a top priority.

Quote from: Kitrazzle on December 03, 2009, 03:49:38 PM
My top choices are as follows:

1. Doctor
2. Hustler (Don't know Lethal Weapon, but I am well familiar with Klinger so I assume this is a Scrounger sort of thing)
3. Pilot

But I would not be able to play until after December 20th, since that's when I'm getting back from the honeymoon.

The time to play is no problem, I'm thinking this is going to be a bit of prep to get this rolling.  I've always started games very quickly and I think that is why a lot of my games die early, not enough prep.  I want to do it right this time.

Since your top choice is Doctor, you can be the Doctor thus far, of course this isn't locked.

The Hustler is kind of like a Scrounger but more the wheeling and dealing, the guy that CAN get ANYTHING you want but just don't ask him why he needed the artifact you just stole for him or who he is giving it to, just trust that there are no traces to you and that you will get what you want.

Cyclops

Thus far...

Captain - TitanShadow
Pilot - DarkDemon
Fighter - ??
Engineer - ShamishielDF
Hustler - ??
Doctor - Kitrazzle
---
Erickson - DarkDemon

I'd like the game to be sexually charged to some extent, not like all sex all the time, but an undertone of sexiness to it.  Kind of like what we see on popular shows right now except I want us to go there.  The couple that wants to have sex don't get interrupted to make it last forever.  Make sense?

Comments/Questions so far?

ShamshielDF

Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

MUAHAHAH. HA.  >:)
I love playing villains.

Oddly enough, I also play good righteous paladin-y types.  O:) Not lawful-stupid, but truly lawful-good.

My character, so far: Nathaniel DeLamar.
Precision.
He's not a big guy, kinda lanky- but he's precise. He can hold his own in a bar fight against bigger, tougher, stronger guys by aiming punches and fingers into the places that really hurt. And gods help you if he gets his hand on a pool cue.
His piloting is similar. Not too flashy, can't pull of shit like a Crazy Ivan- but he's precise. He can thread a freighter through a needle's eye. He's the only person who always docks manually- and has never scratched the paint. In space combat, he's amazing at dodging enemy fire- finding the safest position and getting his ship in it.
While he is an excellent shot on the firing range, he has difficulty in a firefight, since that incorporates a lot more than precision. He like to make the first shot and take down his enemy before they even know he's there. His favorite weapons are a revolver pistol and a hunting rifle- simple weapons that are easy to maintain, and ones that let him take advantage of his accuracy.

His personality is very straightforward. He cuts right to the chase and prefers to set the bush on fire, if possible.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Jazzturbation

I'd like to throw in my hat hoping for the fighter slot.

I'm thinking a dual-wielding pistolman (a la the Sundance Kid) whose motto is "Guns are a close combat weapon." Essentially he'd be large and a good shot, and most likely one the dark side of the morality scale. Not very technically minded, he would probably also start sort of afraid of the gates (but attempting to hide that fear behind no small amount of bravado).

Let me know if it sounds good.

Cyclops

Quote from: Jazzturbation on December 04, 2009, 09:22:21 AM
I'd like to throw in my hat hoping for the fighter slot.

I'm thinking a dual-wielding pistolman (a la the Sundance Kid) whose motto is "Guns are a close combat weapon." Essentially he'd be large and a good shot, and most likely one the dark side of the morality scale. Not very technically minded, he would probably also start sort of afraid of the gates (but attempting to hide that fear behind no small amount of bravado).

Let me know if it sounds good.

I like it as a preliminary, your average "Ug me fight you die" sort of guy right?

Captain - TitanShadow
Pilot - DarkDemon
Fighter - Jazzturbation
Engineer - ShamishielDF
Hustler - ??
Doctor - Kitrazzle
---
Erickson - DarkDemon

Jazzturbation

ShamshielDF

If we really need to have a face/hustler type character, I can cover that and engineering.
Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

I don't think we really need a face/hustler. Also- what was Erickson's job? Could he have been the hustler, so now the crew is missing one? Or something?
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Kitrazzle

Y'know, I'm really liking the idea of Erickson being our old face. That means that we have to all fill in when we can until we get a new one.

Cyclops

Yeah I do too...

Alright, so we have a few bios, if everyone (including me) could come up with and post a basic character bio, like age, brief background, general skills, name, etc...

We'll get started on the process for pulling together a real cast of characters and then we'll open up for game to begin.

Sound good?

DarkDaemon

Hmm... is it ok if most of my bio is copied from my earlier post? It really seems to be most of it. Obviously, I'll edit it a bit, include the data you mentioned?
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Cyclops

No need to copy, just post an addendum, when I have everyone's we'll do a 'cast bio' posting with everyones in it, that will serve so we can link to it for character information.

Ryhana

Gah! This sounds soooo interesting (Especially considering I love both shows >.<) Its not too late for me get in on this is it? please please please say it isn't....All be willing to play any crew slot left...

Cyclops

Not at all, please read through the roster and, we've kind of plugged the villainous Erickson into the slot of 'face' or scoundrel but that doesn't preclude having another player as that soon into the game.

Also, they will be going through a Stargate, thus you are welcome to come up with an idea from the 'other side' of the gate.  After all, there is so much possibility from the 'other side of the gate' to explore.

Also, we could have a villain other than Erickson, if that sounds like a good idea.  Since we have pinned down most of what people want to play, I am very open to suggestion.

Captain - TitanShadow
Pilot - DarkDemon
Fighter - Jazzturbation
Engineer - ShamishielDF
Hustler - ?? (was Erickson)
Doctor - Kitrazzle
---
Erickson - DarkDemon

Players without characters...

Ryhana ??

Other character ideas?

Player cap?

Also, I'd like to bring up the ideas of how time shall move...  I'm in a Star Trek game right now (Starbase Tesla) here and they do time kind of loosely it seems, the mod posts the date change.

What do we think of that?  How should time move?

I'd like comments on these questions.

OH, one more thing, someone contacted me privately about being a stowaway in the game, I instructed her that she should post such an idea here so we could gather it all up together before we start the game.  I'd like to start around the 22nd or so, right before Christmas.

ChaNeko

Thank you, TitanShadow for encouraging me to include my character proposal here.  I sought him out privately at first simply to give him a veto option in case he didn't want a stowaway on board any time soon.  My original note is as follows:

Might you be interested in a stowaway?  She would be 'escaping' her brutal life among indulgent parents who love her in order to avoid an arranged marriage with a decent man that she does not find attractive.  Young, petulant and naive, she would be rather trapped and at the mercy of her discoverer's whims.  Whether or not that discovery is in front of the whole crew or just one crew member is totally up to you and the direction of your plot.  I am not adverse to non-con and can play either a willing victim or a bluffing terrier, ready to bite at anybody big enough to challenge her (though she stands all of 5' 3").  Her skills will encompass languages and communications, especially through computer systems... becoming something of a hacker eventually.  Could be useful or she might have to pick up other suitable skills like assisting the doc or cooking... what do you think?

I would love to have my character idea considered for this game idea, no matter how short her life might be after her introduction.  She is not meant to be a particularly subversive element but might be manipulated by the crew into becoming something she'd never imagined.  Thank you again for your kindness and time.

ChaNeko

Cyclops

I forgot to ask, are you familiar with the Stargate franchise or the Firefly series/movie?

DarkDaemon

I'd be glad to have you onboard, ChaNeko- though my character probably wouldn't.

As for the questions posted by titanshadow, I think 10 people should be the cap. As for time, yeah, playing it loose should be ok. After all, some days tons of stuff happens, some days you just play cards and drink for twenty hours.

I believe it would be cool to meet up with a native human/Tokra/Gouald/Jaffa/whatever that was left behind (this would be one of the people who wants to play but doesn't have crew membership). It would be sorta like Teal'c, and provide us with a working knowledge of the rings and situation. A tour-guide, sorta.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Ryhana

I was thinking of having my character be like someone whom was possibly Marooned by her previous crew on the planet already, and while not lucky enough to have found the Stargate 'verse ship or thing, was lucky enough to spot the crew being marooned by Erickson.

And if that won't fly...well then yeah I'll probably go with a Native on the otherside of the gate or something ^_^

Jazzturbation

22 as a start date sounds awesome...

I'll get a bio up tomorrow morning.

Cyclops

What about she does not have te Ancient gene and is using the ship as shelter after being marooned?

Ryhana

DarkDaemon

Oh, thats great, I love it!

"hey guys, i found this hunk of junk, no power no nothing, we can hide in here from rain and stuff thou-"
*ship powers up cuz someone has the ancient gene*
"The eff?"
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Ryhana

lol I could see this surprising the heck outta my girl ^_^ And probably putting her in awe of the crew as well >.> I mean one or all of them would have just powered up the hunk of metal she'd been using as a home lol

Oh oh oh!!! Question! And I ask this cause....well....I don't know...just cause I'm curious and I don't know how things are normally done 'round these parts...but posting order? Will there be one? or will it just be mostly chaotic?

ShamshielDF

I'll have a post up later today with profile for my character.  I have most of her done, just working on details, now ^_^
Ons and offs!
A&A

ShamshielDF

Name: Kaori Jiang

Ethnicity: Asian

Home: Persephone

Description: Kaori stands about 5'6" and has a very slender build, what others have described as almost elfin.  Her hair is dyed frequently various unnatural colors, though she tends often towards the deep blues, purples and greens, and comes nearly to her waist.  While working, she usually keeps it in a tight braid and tucked out of the way.  Her wardrobe varies as much as her hair, ranging from her 'work grungies' to silk kimonos.  She's commented several times before that she believes its an Alliance conspiracy to keep there from being comfortable mechanical garb, mostly humorously.

She can be a bit...spacey at times, losing focus on everything else while she focuses on some problem, and not necessarily in such a way that others would know what it is she's thinking about.  She tries to take care of her appearance, but there is only so much one can do when working on the engine of a ship of misfits and ne'er-do-wells.  She frequently sports greasemarks, smudges and the faint odor of either smoke or ozone.  She paints her nails, though often with materials more appropriate to painting the ship, as her fingernails are constantly cut close due to frequent damage in her work.

Background: Kaori was born to a middle class family on Persephone, living on the outskirts of the fabulously wealthy and watching the glitz and glamour of their parties, balls and various soirees, yet never able to attend, yet within from the shantytown atmosphere of most of the outskirts of the planet.  Her father worked as a middle manager of a ship dealer and her mother as a nurse at one of the hospitals.  Kaori herself attended school and ended up with...well, we won't say 'the bad crowd' but more the periphery.  The hustlers, the hackers and the loners.  Not the ones that were in gangs, per se, but who seemed to know everyone in them and acted more like support.  In classes she excelled in the physical sciences and learned from her friends all the interesting bits that they don't teach in class.

After graduating, her father arranged for her to apprentice at the dealership he worked at, and she found herself immediately attracted to the garage.  It didn't take long before they found she had a natural aptitude for ships engines and computers, even the notoriously finicky  Gurtsler engines, though, like the others, she was much happier with the trace compression block engines.

Unfortunately, though her career was looking promising at the dealership, a deal was negotiated with the Alliance that quickly ended with the dealership going under, in no small part due to poor maintenance on the Alliance's part and the shop being stuck with contract violation charges because of it.  Her father was unable to find other work because of what had happened, the stigma of having bee one of the key individuals behind the failed contract sticking with him as he fell into a downward spiral of depression and drinking.  Her mother attempted to support the family, but the Alliance hospital pay was barely enough to keep the home and some food on the table.  In short order Kaori decided to remove herself from the equation and bounced around, staying with her various 'friends' over the next several years, sleeping with some of them and doing favors as able. 

Until the day a friend of hers asked her if she could work on a ship that had come in that needed some maintenance done sans traceable paperwork.  Before she could really explain what was going on, she was setup with quarters and was the new ships engineer.

Weapon:  By choice, the TK78C PowerMaster gauss pistol.  One of the more finicky weapons produced, she takes almost religious care for hers.  More often, she practices martial arts, incorporating the tai-chi fighting swords into her style.  She finds katas a beautiful way to relax, and the practice keeps her flexible enough to maneuver in the cramped spaces within the engine compartment.
Ons and offs!
A&A

ShamshielDF

For those looking for more detailed information for Firefly:

http://www.fireflyrpg.com/rpg/index.html  Good maps and materials
http://www.fireflywiki.org/ The Firefly wiki.  Far from complete, but some good material.
Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

I think the firefly rpg link is broken.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

ShamshielDF

I tested both of them again and they work for me...I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.
Ons and offs!
A&A

ChaNeko

Not to be argumentative, ShamshielDF, but I am consistently redirected to another site when I try to use http://www.fireflyrpg.com/rpg/index.html myself.  For example - http://fireflyrpg.com/?f5ba8748fda76a37d6ee55a561db567a=325467165&6fa970d50480e816942b6fab7c4e7a23=506683626&5f17a83ba43604eb3d1c06f73d82e119=633965174736775843 comes up instead.

I love the http://www.fireflywiki.org/ site though, thank you so much!

My stowaway is getting her profile built now, just looking for an appropriate pic.
ChaNeko

ShamshielDF

Oh, how awesome is that!

So, it was working yesterday.  It is working for me.  Sort of.  Because FF was pulling the local cached copy.  IE freaks out and goes to a godaddy ad.

This, boys and girls, is why we use real domain name registrars.  Because then your site simply ceases to exist rather than being a spamvertisement for someone.

I did a whois on godaddy and found that the DNS registration ran out.  12/14/09.  So...it really did work...until yesterday night/early this morning.  Amusingly, the owner used his real contact information and lives about an hour away from here...I might have to call him tomorrow and tell him his domain is down ^_^
Ons and offs!
A&A

ChaNeko

Hee hee hee, that is awesome.  Thanks for the update.

Here she is, folks, all gorram tightlipped much of her that my little stowaway is willing to tell about:

NameCherish… no other name given.
Race:  Caucasian  (the only thing she couldn’t change about herself)
Home:  Greenleaf?  Londinium?  With that upper-crust accent, she might as well have been born Alliance.

Description:  Standing 5’ 3”, she blossomed early, her curves difficult to disguise under work wear.  With naturally sun-blond hair, she dyes it reddish-auburn, trying to tone down the notable color of her curling locks.  Constantly looking into her ‘encyclopedia’, she is most often found with her dark expressive eyes turned to her screen, absorbing media and info by the halcyon light.  Those that observe her long enough will eventually find her tapping away with any makeshift stylus – working problems, learning about history and cultures, studying languages, translating… watching the news.

Background: Preferring the company of her studies to that of her peers, she dreamt of explorations, adventure and exciting new cultures, wanting to travel and visit many planets and moons before settling to her assumed duties as wife and broodmare.  Eschewing the rigors of her conservative upbringing, this young thing has ‘jumped ship’ and started on a new wayfaring life… at least until all her tradable goods ran dry.  Falling on hard times might not mean the same thing for someone with biddable skills, but she is of a cheery disposition and graceful naïveté that just screams gullibility.

Technology:  The one item she carries that is more precious to her than her freedom is her constant companion, a custom designed vid box encyclopedia.  Specially reprogrammed, this device is one of a kind and would sell well among those interested in reverse engineering.  Keeping her secrets to herself is not her only skill.  “eNCy” (as she refers to the vid box) houses a super program built for her personal level of skill in translation and identification of languages.  Acting as a microphone and recorder, this box is constantly hashing out new words and phrases for its creator, cataloguing the sounds and creating a database of information to be redefined later when the opportunity is available.  Otherwise, it looks like any teenager’s entertainment box with streaming music and news as the default setting.  Having taken pains to ensure her personally outfitted technology does not fall into the wrong hands, there is a dead man switch installed, her D.N.A. necessary for the program’s activation.

Additionally, she houses a tiny ear bud in her left ear canal, able to pick up the nuances of the recorder’s softest setting by years of practice.  Thus she can leave eNCy in another room and listen to the conversations immediately, or if distracted, listen to the recordings later under other circumstances.

She is (or would be, if left uninterrupted with the right equipment) working on a body port – something that would allow her to wear the next generation of her device as a small port in her wrist or behind her ear, able to jack in to release the data to another system when desired.  The difficulty (beyond miniaturization, insertion and degradation of the device within the human body, and access for the replacement of the multiyear fuel cell) continues to be compatibility with the physical body’s need for a blood flow… “Stupid warm-blooded bodies… how do I get around the overheating problem when I can’t include a heat sink?

Ryhana

OOooo Feel I have to share this....its meant mostly for MUSH or a MUD but I think it still has some good info as well I think >.>

http://www.serenitymush.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I'll get my character bio typed up real quick here ^_^

Cyclops

Quote from: ChaNeko on December 16, 2009, 01:38:07 AM
Background: Preferring the company of her studies to that of her peers, she dreamt of explorations, adventure and exciting new cultures, wanting to travel and visit many planets and moons before settling to her assumed duties as wife and broodmare.  Eschewing the rigors of her conservative upbringing, this young thing has ‘jumped ship’ and started on a new wayfaring life… at least until all her tradable goods ran dry.  Falling on hard times might not mean the same thing for someone with biddable skills, but she is of a cheery disposition and graceful naïveté that just screams gullibility.

Technology:  The one item she carries that is more precious to her than her freedom is her constant companion, a custom designed vid box encyclopedia.  Specially reprogrammed, this device is one of a kind and would sell well among those interested in reverse engineering.  Keeping her secrets to herself is not her only skill.  “eNCy” (as she refers to the vid box) houses a super program built for her personal level of skill in translation and identification of languages.  Acting as a microphone and recorder, this box is constantly hashing out new words and phrases for its creator, cataloguing the sounds and creating a database of information to be redefined later when the opportunity is available.  Otherwise, it looks like any teenager’s entertainment box with streaming music and news as the default setting.  Having taken pains to ensure her personally outfitted technology does not fall into the wrong hands, there is a dead man switch installed, her D.N.A. necessary for the program’s activation.

Additionally, she houses a tiny ear bud in her left ear canal, able to pick up the nuances of the recorder’s softest setting by years of practice.  Thus she can leave eNCy in another room and listen to the conversations immediately, or if distracted, listen to the recordings later under other circumstances.

She is (or would be, if left uninterrupted with the right equipment) working on a body port – something that would allow her to wear the next generation of her device as a small port in her wrist or behind her ear, able to jack in to release the data to another system when desired.  The difficulty (beyond miniaturization, insertion and degradation of the device within the human body, and access for the replacement of the multiyear fuel cell) continues to be compatibility with the physical body’s need for a blood flow… “Stupid warm-blooded bodies… how do I get around the overheating problem when I can’t include a heat sink?

A couple notes...

You put in your basic info that she could be from the Alliance, etc...  She doesn't know where she is from?  Why not?  Has she forgotten, orphaned, doesn't know hew parents, there could be a gaggle of different reasons but it seems to be an important note.

Next, where would she gain the ability to do such an incredible job of custom programming and hardware outfitting on the 'encyclopedia'?  I would like to explore the possibility of it perhaps being her fathers, or some other mentor type person who perhaps isn't around anymore.  Without an incredibly potent reason to be so good in computer science and cybernetics at such a young age, I would think she would have to get the technology elsewhere and just build on it.

Just some thoughts.

Excellent links to the Firefly RPG information, I'm sure it will come in incredibly handy!

Ryhana

Okey typing up character now...so expect that in a few minutes to an hour....but I just remembered this...its kind of helpful...but I mention it because I know how the Firefly Universe is culturally...and when RPing things in the past Firefly or even writing or other Rping I've found this kinda helpful:

http://www.chinese-tools.com/

Ryhana

Character!

Name: Meifeng Kuai, Mei for short.

Birthplace: The Lily Dragon, Merchant Vessel operating out of Sihnon.

Description: A girl of Asian Decent, Her hair black with two dark purple streaks died in, her brown eyes twinkling with excitement! She stands about 5'2" and is of a very slim and petite build.

History: She was born in space, she lived in space, she loved it. Her family owned and operated a Merchant Hauler that took supplies from the core worlds to the border worlds to help people, or at least the people the alliance told them to help. She never really knew much about her Parent's Home world of Sihnon except for what she saw the few times they docked there for a day or so. Sometimes they took on passengers, but mostly not. It wasn't that they weren't friendly or nice people...they had just been bitten before in the past with one of the passengers they took on being a scout for Raiders. They had bought the new ship shortly before Meifeng was born. Meifeng grew up learning the Merchant's way of life, mostly taking an interest in Haggling and Bartering. She soon picked up that even outside of the Markets a quick wit and a quicker tongue could get you places, and get you out of hard places. At the age of 14 she was seduced away from her family by the thrill of adventure that the Border World crews offered, be they raiders, smugglers, or scavengers. So she sneaked away from her family and on board a smuggler's vessel. She didn't convince that crew to keep her when they found her, though she did impress the Captain enough to keep from being sent out the airlock, she did find a home in the Crew of the Dancing Glimmer, a part-time smuggler ship part-time raider crew, when she was 17. She is always vague about her time between being plopped on a border world alone by the first crew and her joining of the second, though it seems if she had done time as a thief, as she has decent knowledge of good fences and black market operators around the verse.

Weapon of Choice: Knives, of varying lengths and sizes. She never learned to fire a gun and never cared to learn, besides in her mind with the situations she mostly gets in a quick slice with a hidden blade is better than any fast draw with a gun from a holster.

Clothing in general: Depending on what situation she expects to get in she wears practical clothing like heavy cloth cargo pants, and Jacket for out in the field work, where fighting and running might be required. But on the more Peaceful worlds and situations she tends to dress in nicer dresses and skirts with frilly tops. She's always gotten slightly strange looks from her crew for her fondness of nicer clothes for someone many of them presume was raised on the Border worlds.

ChaNeko

Quote from: titanshadow on December 18, 2009, 05:16:49 PM
You put in your basic info that she could be from the Alliance, etc...  She doesn't know where she is from?  Why not?  Has she forgotten, orphaned, doesn't know hew parents, there could be a gaggle of different reasons but it seems to be an important note.

She knows very well where she is from and why she is far away from there.  She's simply not telling.  This is everything that her discoverers might find out about her on their first meeting.  There will be opportunities for more to be revealed of course, once she is introduced in the story.

If this is not the way you would care for me to describe my character's background, I can provide full disclosure... I just figured that the more reluctant she is to share about herself, the more time there can be for 'convincing' by the crew members for her to talk.

Cyclops

Quote from: ChaNeko on December 20, 2009, 12:06:04 AM
She knows very well where she is from and why she is far away from there.  She's simply not telling.  This is everything that her discoverers might find out about her on their first meeting.  There will be opportunities for more to be revealed of course, once she is introduced in the story.

If this is not the way you would care for me to describe my character's background, I can provide full disclosure... I just figured that the more reluctant she is to share about herself, the more time there can be for 'convincing' by the crew members for her to talk.

I would prefer full disclosure in the sense of this pre-game out of character setting, how she deals with things in character and in game is fully up to you.  It helps with story and plot ideas to have no surprises on character backgrounds for me when I'm coming up with the story arc.

Thank you. :)

Quote from: Ryhana on December 19, 2009, 12:21:50 PM
Character!

Name: Meifeng Kuai, Mei for short.

Birthplace: The Lily Dragon, Merchant Vessel operating out of Sihnon.

Description: A girl of Asian Decent, Her hair black with two dark purple streaks died in, her brown eyes twinkling with excitement! She stands about 5'2" and is of a very slim and petite build.

Excellent...  Good thing she found an honorable captain out there at such a young age, I think she will fit in very well!

Given her history, I think she will make a good post-Erickson hustler for the group, so I'm going to put her in that slot on the roster.

Cyclops

RoleNamePlayer
CaptainUnknownTitanShadow
PilotNathaniel DeLamarDarkDemon
FighterUnknownJazzturbation
EngineerUnknownShamishielDF
TraitorEricksonDarkDemon
HustlerMeifeng KuaiRyhana
DoctorUnknownKitrazzle

Ryhana

Thanks!

Though I have to say that There is one thing in her personality that got her marooned that if it tends to come up too much...might get annoying IC to the crew >.>

I was mostly going to bring this up in the Intro post, which I was going to do the whole Marooning thingy for her...but I'm going to mention this here...When talking about people, especially people that might have a reason to pull out their guns and shoot first at her, when she says "oh! They love me!" She's probably not telling the full truth.....

Oh!!!

And I had a thought I kinda thought would be a little interesting or something...dunno how well it would work...but here goes!! Since her old crew were raiders of sorts...sometimes...And the fact that the PC crew is being marooned on the same planet, I was thinking that Members of Mei's old crew working with Erickson...

Now I could see it as for whatever reason the crew of The Dancing Glimmer having disbanded with some of the members teaming up with Erickson or the Crew taking Erickson on to replace Mei or like the Alliance having hit The Dancing Glimmer, destroying the Ship and killing or capturing the Captain, and the remaining crew members team up with Erickson cause he promises them a ship, as long as he gets to be captain...or something!!!!! Sorry tad hyperness....

Cyclops

Name - James Daring
Age -  29
Birthplace - Space

Description:
He is a larger man, not tall but bulky.  He keeps his hair short but not a crew-cut, it is light brown and not quite blond.  His eyes are a deep chocolate brown.  He has never really had a problem with the ladies on the surface, he is confident and walks with the air of a man who is in command of things around him.  Useful in a fight with big muscles, he knows a moderate amount of martial arts in the way of throws and blocking centering on defense rather than offense.

History:
He was born on a exploration ship in space, though not alliance his parents fought for the Independence during the war.  He didn't though, he took the family ship and headed into the deepest areas of space that he could find.  He came back with a few mental scars, low on food and other supplies, to a war that was winding down.  It isn't generally known that he didn't actually fight, his family was known to fight and no one really knows where he was.  Those within the 'in' crowd have heard rumors that either he didn't fight or was in intelligencing for the Brown Coats.  He doesn't generally tell people that he didn't fight, nor does he talk about what he has seen in the outer rim of known space.  Secretly, he regrets not fighting, his parents had both died in the fighting, the last words spoken to him, spoken in anger.  He doesn't talk about it and doesn't want to.

Clothing / Equipment:
He wears a flight jacket, very old, it was his fathers.  There are no medals on it, but it has his fathers platinum wings on the front.  That and a few patches from different ships his father had been on before the war.  Other than that, he wears durable work pants and light work shirts.  They are clean and nice but they do not speak of money or society.

He carries with him a communications device, simple six gun an emergency radio/beacon and a pocket computer.

Cyclops

Quote from: Ryhana on December 20, 2009, 10:41:58 PM
Thanks!

Though I have to say that There is one thing in her personality that got her marooned that if it tends to come up too much...might get annoying IC to the crew >.>

I was mostly going to bring this up in the Intro post, which I was going to do the whole Marooning thingy for her...but I'm going to mention this here...When talking about people, especially people that might have a reason to pull out their guns and shoot first at her, when she says "oh! They love me!" She's probably not telling the full truth.....

Oh!!!

And I had a thought I kinda thought would be a little interesting or something...dunno how well it would work...but here goes!! Since her old crew were raiders of sorts...sometimes...And the fact that the PC crew is being marooned on the same planet, I was thinking that Members of Mei's old crew working with Erickson...

Now I could see it as for whatever reason the crew of The Dancing Glimmer having disbanded with some of the members teaming up with Erickson or the Crew taking Erickson on to replace Mei or like the Alliance having hit The Dancing Glimmer, destroying the Ship and killing or capturing the Captain, and the remaining crew members team up with Erickson cause he promises them a ship, as long as he gets to be captain...or something!!!!! Sorry tad hyperness....

No worries, I welcome hyperness.  I think that works well, almost like she was too honest for them, kind of too happy all the time, too willing to be honest with people, and too honest in her dealings.  The needed a real scoundrel like Erickson.

Thoughts from the rest of the group?

Cyclops

RoleNamePlayer
CaptainJames DaringTitanShadow
FighterUnknownJazzturbation
EngineerUnknownShamishielDF
TraitorEricksonDarkDemon
DoctorUnknownKitrazzle

Jazzturbation

Sorry to take so long to post this up... been hella busy.

Name: Phillip Highlan
Race: caucasian
Planet of origin: n/a

Physical description: Phil stands a tall 6'3", and weighs 200 lbs. His hair is short cropped and dark, his face often sports a rough growth of hair. His shoulders are wide and his stance sure; he moves with confidence that is neither rough nor graceful. In short, Phil is a big guy. He tends to wearing simple trousers and t-shirt type clothing, a leather jacket when the weather demands.

Equipment: Phil carries a variety of guns, depending on the situation or even his own mood. Staples in his arsenal include a simple hunting rifle, a sawn-off shotgun, and a battered but well working Bren LMG (or light machine gun) However, Phil is never without his twin pistols, worn at his hips, which resemble classic western Colt revolvers.

History: Phil's dad was a smuggler, and his father before him... and perhaps further back than that, but who the hell knows? Phil's mother was the pilot of his father's vessel, but she died during childbirth, leaving Phil's gruff space captain father to raise the child alone... with gratuitous help from his crew, of course. Phil was raised in space, and knew his whole life that he would live his life on a ship, working hard for his living. Thus far he's been right about that.

Persona: Phil can be a bit gruff, and is often a little over eager to step into a fight that could be more easily avoided. However, he is fiercely loyal, and protective of those he considers his friends.

Let me know if it needs changin

ChaNeko

I did not wish anyone to think that I'd given up on my background... I am studying Firefly canon for the details about Cherish's parents and past before I write up her extended info and submit it again.  Plus it is Christmas and I will be busy the next couple of days.  I'll post here again in the next week or so.

Merry Christmas everyone!

ChaNeko

Michael Corvus

Hello everyone. I stumbled onto this post and must say I am very interested as I am a fan of both the tragically short-lived Firefly, and Stargate. I was hoping, if it's not too late, there could be room for another fighter? No reason a ship should be limited to only one, right? I mean, Serenity had Mal, Zoe, and Jayne. Anyway, if it's not too late and you're open to the idea, I submit my character below for your approval.

Disclaimer: I am still very new to Elliquiy AND I am very rusty since I last role played some 10 years ago ... but when I did play I was always told I was good?  ;D

Name: Griffin "Griff" Kingston
Ethnicity: Black
Planet of origin:Londinium

Physical Description: Griff is 6'1" tall and weighs 227 lbs. He is in peak physical condition and he regularly works out to keep it that way. His light gray eyes are in stark contrast to his dark skin which can be either disarming or unnerving, depending on one's perspective. He keeps his head and face shaved as time permits, however there is often a days worth of dark stubble covering both. He has elaborate tribal tattoos on both upper arms and shoulders.

Clothing: Whenever Griff is NOT wearing his assault vest and web gear, which is not often, he wears darker colored t-shirts or a-shirts. He always wears dark military trousers and black combat boots. When the weather demands, he wears a dark military field jacket under his assault vest and web gear.

Equipment: Griff's shoulder sling holster holds his Colt. 45 DX pistol and  in the modern holster at his right hip is the PK12 Peacekeeper. Griff also still has the standard issue AR 24 S assault rifle that the Alliance issued him, and he whips out when the situation demands. His assault vest and web gear hold extra clips of ammo for all weapons he has with him at the time. He also carries a standard communication device.

History: Griff was born and raised on Londinium. His mother died when he was 12 and his father, Colonel Raziel Kingston, was a career officer in the Alliance military. Unable to dedicate the necessary time to raise his son, Col. Kingston sent Griff to live with his aunt. Griff dreamed of joining the Alliance and becoming a Fed. like his father and as soon as he was old enough, he enlisted. He loved every second of basic and excelled in specialized training, scoring top marks in unarmed combat, weapons training, and explosives. He was the model soldier, and quickly attained the rank of Sergeant.

However, as the Unification War progressed, he found himself at odds with the Alliance's doctrine and the interpretation and application of its laws. After a series of insubordinate acts including several open disagreements with his superiors, repeatedly disobeying direct orders, and then finally culminating in aiding "Browncoats" who were in dire need of medical aide, Griff was to face a Court Marshall, despite his father's best efforts on his behalf. Before he could be brought in, Griff abandoned his post and has been a fugitive on he run ever since, wanted for treason, among other things.

Persona: Griff is very confident in his abilities, to the point where he is border-line cocky. He knows what he is capable of and doesn't allow anyone to dictate otherwise. He also knows what he is NOT capable of, but that doesn't stop him from trying. Griff has a cynical and sarcastic sense of humor and can come across as a smart ass at times, especially to those who aren't familiar with him. His military background and training governs his work habits, and he's good at what he does. While he is loyal to his friends, there are few he considers "friend." His motto is "The mission before the man."
My O/O's | My A/A's | My Characters
The Oath of The Drake
*Currently Only Seeking Group Games*

ShamshielDF

Titan, the Engineer has a name...it's in the writeup I posted:  Kaori Jiang
Ons and offs!
A&A

Cyclops

Alright, so everything is in except the doctor...  Here is the current roster...

RoleNamePlayer
CaptainJames DaringTitanShadow
FighterPhillip HighlanJazzturbation
EngineerKaori JiangShamishielDF
TraitorEricksonDarkDemon
DoctorUnknownKitrazzle

Unplaced Characters
Griffin "Griff" Kingston by Corvus

We have Griffin by Corvus who is unplaced as yet, Kitrazzle has yet to post the doctor's profile...

Given the time period we're talking about here, that it has been long enough for even the busy among us to get up a profile, I would like to ask the group if we want to start it up...

We have enough players to start up the game, though we do need a profile on Erickson with details I think we can go without it if DarkDemon is willing to do so, a lot of his personality is given by the fact that he IS the evil traitor.

If Corvus would like to modify his character to add medical abilities, ChaNeko, I think you should make a new character to be found on the other side of the gate, I think that is the only place we really have a spot.

Thoughts, comments?

ChaNeko

I will be very happy to adjust my character to better fit in... somewhere on the other side, hm?...... hm.....  Have to think on that.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.
ChaNeko

Cyclops

I like the update a lot, Ships Medic seems fine to me.  Also, the ship doesn't really have a First Officer of sorts, that puts too much, organization, into things.  Basically, the Captain would likely leave the Pilot in charge most of the time, protect the ship, go get people, etc...  However, should the situation call for it others would be left in command.

Cyclops

Quote from: ChaNeko on January 01, 2010, 02:09:28 AM
I will be very happy to adjust my character to better fit in... somewhere on the other side, hm?...... hm.....  Have to think on that.

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.
ChaNeko

Excellent, I look forward to seeing your next sheet.

Fior

I've been watching the progress of this one throughout the holiday approval hold. I'm finally approved, and if you'll have me I'd love in. Perhaps a "guide" of sorts on the other side of the stargate? I'm thinking a trader of information and other highly valuable rarities. Kind of tribal feel (of course). She knows a variety of addresses, and what can be expected at them. She has a quiet step, a sharp mind, and a swift fist. She could step in for fighting and face when needed, as well as a main duty as guide/interpreter/etc.

I'd love to see her come back through the gate with this group (down the line) and manage to get involved with Erickson (not knowing who he was)  before the group realized they'd caught up to him. It would tickle my funny bone, but is just a random thought. Perhaps an example of my twisted mind for consideration. =)

Cyclops

I don't have a problem with the concept myself, but we are already pushing the max players I wanted, come up with a character and we'll see, but no guarantees.

Cyclops

So, I am preparing our opening sequence, of course, not all characters will be active immediately as I am planning the role play to kind of take the form of something on a screen with scenes and sequences of action.

So a few questions...

First of all, is there anyone who wants to be the key to unlocking the ancient knowledge?  I want to be vague as I'd like to discuss this option in private and have it be kind of a surprise plot twist for everyone else.

Secondly, in the initial intro, I think we should have a lead-in before Erickson's traitorous nature becomes apparent to the group, sort of to introduce the character interactions.

So, any ideas here, comments, I'm kind of anxious to get things started and going.

politicallyINcorrect

Is there still any open slots on this one?  I'm quite interested in joining this gig.  If not, no biggie though.
I'm back-ish.  Finals week, yuck!
On's and Off's

Cyclops

I really do think we might be full, but you can put a character on stand-by, in case one of the major characters goes away or whatever...

ChaNeko

I would like to apologize to everyone for taking this long in my decision, but with so many other people also wanting in on your wonderful plan for a game, I have to admit... I am stumped.  I have a familiarity with Stargate but much prefer and become inspired by Firefly/Serenity.  Thus my character concept would have to be completely scrapped and I would be creating a new one... one that I am not ready with nor do I seem to be flushing out as quickly as I would like.

Please forgive me and think kindly on me as I back out, leaving my prospective place open for whomever you elect to fill it.  I will be reading your story-line like a rabid fan.

In anticipation,
ChaNeko

politicallyINcorrect

Name: William “Liam” Vandal
Race:  Caucasian
Home:  Whitefall

Description:  Liam is a semi-large man, standing at an even 6’.  He is lean, with broad shoulders and a narrow waist, making him look more intimidating.  His hair is a raven black, cut short so it is practical and easy to maintain.  His bright blue eyes are often cold and uncaring, but are highly observant.  He tended to spot things others might miss, his natural curiosity making it a type of past-time.  His hands were calloused on the palms from hard labor and chemicals, along with many types of weapons.  He also had scarred knuckles from many fights, his attitude grating on people’s nerves quite often.

Background: Liam lived on Whitefall since his family moved there when he was three.  Living on that hostile moon, he grew up with a gun in hand, more often two.  He was well known for his short temper, and willingness to fight.  When he turned sixteen, he was offered a job in one of the more popular bars, taking it immediately.  There, he fought, and even killed a couple times when things got out of hand.  They still didn’t stop coming though.  In fact, it even attracted more people on the off chance he fought with someone.  He immediately took a job on a smuggling ship when the opportunity arose, giving him a chance to build his arsenal of weapons, and knowledge.  Today, he is a true definition of mercenary, hiring onto any ship that would pay him for it, and performing his duties to the best of his ability.

Technology:  Liam has few worldly possessions, but the ones he does have, he keeps in excellent condition.  He has a large array of weapons, including a modified Alliance Rifle with a hair trigger and thermal scope.  It wasn’t his favorite weapon, however, preferring the larger, long-distance rifles.  His favorite was his modified 54R sniper rifle, with extended magazine, optional automatic setting, and long distance scope.  He also possesses a pair of modified Alliance Pistols with custom ivory grip, below-barrel laser sights, suppressors (for them quiet jobs), and a side mounted flashlight.  Jammed into his boot tops are often a pair of double edged knives, and he wears a large knife hanging at his waist, not to mention the various other cutting implements he keeps hidden on his person and sewn into secret pockets on his coat.
On's and Off's

Cyclops

Alright, so can I get a roll call?  Who is ready to start?

politicallyINcorrect

Well, I'm just a fill-in, but I'm here.
On's and Off's

Michael Corvus

The Oath of The Drake

ShamshielDF

Ons and offs!
A&A

Michael Corvus

The Oath of The Drake

Cyclops

It is, but I am hesitant to start without more than just a few people responding.  I'll take a consensus though, should we just go ahead and start?

politicallyINcorrect

On's and Off's

Cyclops

Wow, is this idea dead or something?  Alright, reworking the roster, who is still here?

I mean, I just wanted to get a game together.

politicallyINcorrect

On's and Off's

ChaNeko

Pardon me for sticking my nose in again... if you need the numbers, I am certainly capable of bringing my Firefly-heavy concept back or creating a new one.  Your set up for the game made me realize the disproportionate amount of material there is to view regarding Firefly/Serenity versus Stargate.  As much as I loved the original movie of Stargate, I never got into the series'.

Let me know if I should contact you again regarding this wonderful story/game idea or just sit back and read it like the fan girl I am.

ChaNeko