Falls over laughing

Started by Thesunmaid, September 05, 2013, 04:07:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pumpkin Seeds

The problem comes that if I was in a similar situation and a person came up to me to talk about gay marriage and I made a joke out of what was said, there would be nobody here saying I had made a humorous moment.  Would that be so funny as someone making fun of a person, who didn’t even say anything about religion, being made fun of because someone thought they might say something religious?  Could I then come on Elliquiy and brag about making fun of a gay marriage supporter and receive not only a thumbs up, but also have others join in making fun of them?  All over Elliquiy I see people talking about bullying, being made fun of for their beliefs, being laughed at and in general being made to feel unwelcome by others.  Yet here we see us supporting and reinforcing someone for doing just that to another.  I think this is hypocritical of Elliquiy as a community.

lilhobbit37

Not really. She isn't making fun of him for being mormon, nor saying his beliefs are wrong.

It would be like me going to talk to you about gay marriage, but you changing the subject in a joking way before I could, because you know you are against it, and rather not hear me tell you all the reasons you should feel different.

And no one would be upset with you for that.

Pumpkin Seeds

Well actually this would be more like me seeing you coming, going "They look gay."  Then instead of being friendly toward you when you speak to me, I simply make an off color comment to make you uncomfortable and bewildered.  Then I get a good chuckle with my friend on the bus, then come online to brag about the situation so that others can laugh with me in support.

Braioch

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 06, 2013, 12:06:02 AM
Well actually this would be more like me seeing you coming, going "They look gay."  Then instead of being friendly toward you when you speak to me, I simply make an off color comment to make you uncomfortable and bewildered.  Then I get a good chuckle with my friend on the bus, then come online to brag about the situation so that others can laugh with me in support.

And yet very few people will open up with such a line as the OP mentioned, other than heavily religious people, typically of a Christian faith. As to date, I actually haven't met anyone who's opened with that line and wasn't trying to peddle their religion. Following up with trying to steer the conversation back to the afterlife of choice makes it even more so. Just how long would you prefer she had waited, until he was just getting into his speech? Or would have perhaps been too early, as he may have been just sharing a moment of inspiration surrounding his faith? Later on when he had already picked up steam? What exactly is your personal criteria for one to know a person's stance on such things?

And as for making light of it, I quite frankly don't blame her. I can't even sit on campus to enjoy a snack, some music and a book between classes without some random person trying to walk over and hand me a collection of New Testament and Proverbs. (Amusingly might I add, while I was reading "The Atheist's Handbook") At that point, you either mutter off the thousandth incantation of 'no, thank you' and probably risk your ever growing irritation showing, or attempt to make light of it. I for one, unless they are unduly aggressive about it, (as has happened more than once to me) am more apt to either ignore them utterly, or try to make light of it somehow.

My humor of choice is asking the uncomfortable questions (no, not raunchy ones :P) until they skirt around me from then on.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Pumpkin Seeds

I would think that an adult woman with her friend would have the ability to simply say, “No thank you.”  Perhaps even a little, “I’m sorry but we’re having a private conversation here.”  Maybe some other more mature answer.  Both of which would probably require less involvement than the course of action she decided upon.  Walking across most college campuses there will be many people coming up for signatures, donations, invitations to various organizations/clubs/social movements/what have you.  Do you intend to mock each one or perhaps just the religious ones.  Once more I am pointing out the hypocrisy of Elliquiy’s community on this subject.

Tsenta

I need to start carrying a diet soda can around, so every time I'm petitioned by someone who wants to "save my soul" and use that good news line..I can go  "Well have YOU heard the good news? All that taste, zero calories!" and show them the can.   All in all, while sarcasm and fun having may not be the best way to brush those people off, it surely isn't the worst way either.

A friend of mine dislikes people who "recruit" for their religions with a passion, he basically sits and debates with them about how their religions are flawed until they've either given up or are on the verge of tears. 

Long story short, this isn't the worst or nearly even one of to brush people off.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

TaintedAndDelish

Sometimes its hard not to laugh at other people's stupidity.

Pumpkin Seeds

Honestly a debate is at least a decent confrontation and is at least admirable.  This was not a brush off either, but an intentional act of ridicule.  The OP had no intention of debate, discussion or even hearing what the man had to say.  She had him judged before he opened his mouth.  So this is simply surprising that Elliquiy, a community that often speaks about being shunned and laughed at, sponsors this sort of behavior. 

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 06, 2013, 02:15:36 AM
Honestly a debate is at least a decent confrontation and is at least admirable.  This was not a brush off either, but an intentional act of ridicule.  The OP had no intention of debate, discussion or even hearing what the man had to say.  She had him judged before he opened his mouth.  So this is simply surprising that Elliquiy, a community that often speaks about being shunned and laughed at, sponsors this sort of behavior.

I think it matters a great deal that, as Braioch implies, it was so easy to read, out of those one or two opening lines, exactly what kind of soul-fisher speech he was heading for.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Imogen

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 06, 2013, 02:50:43 AM
I think it matters a great deal that, as Braioch implies, it was so easy to read, out of those one or two opening lines, exactly what kind of soul-fisher speech he was heading for.

So, his message was not welcome. That makes it cool to treat someone with ridicule because you want to show off for a friend/collegue? (So I looked at her and said"Let me handle this..") That action was incredibly immature.

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]Woo's and Won'ts / Absences
Stor-E Writers Registry[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Imogen on September 06, 2013, 03:23:45 AM
So, his message was not welcome. That makes it cool to treat someone with ridicule because you want to show off for a friend/collegue? (So I looked at her and said"Let me handle this..") That action was incredibly immature.

No, it means her way of turning the conversation was aimed at the whole speech she saw coming, and not just at the opening line "Have you heard the good news?". But I agree it's an opener you never hear from a stranger *except* from some Christians as a kick-off to expounding on their religious convictions.

By the way, I've personally witnessed, or heard of, far more brazen and more ill-tempered replies to less intrusive spoken lines than that one.

Imogen

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 06, 2013, 03:52:17 AM
No, it means her way of turning the conversation was aimed at the whole speech she saw coming, and not just at the opening line "Have you heard the good news?". But I agree it's an opener you never hear from a stranger *except* from some Christians as a kick-off to expounding on their religious convictions.

By the way, I've personally witnessed, or heard of, far more brazen and more ill-tempered replies to less intrusive spoken lines than that one.

So, it's a Christian who wants to talk about their beliefs. And that makes ridiculing him while safely backed up by a friend/collegue right and cool and funny? *shrugs* Different strokes for different people, I guess.
[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

gaggedLouise

If it happens at a bus stop then yeah, I frankly think by picking that kind of location one is laying oneself open to the risk that people could respond with a few jokes. That's legitimate and human.

I don't want to get proselytized at a bus stop, anymore than when I'm getting ready to watch a movie at the theatre with a good friend, cooking or driving the car.

Kythia

*makes a mental note to only preach to Louise when she's at the theatre with an evil friend*

Pumpkin Seeds

The assumptions were already made as Imogen pointed out.  One look and she had already sized the man up, determined his religion and assumed his purpose.  We may never know what the following line might have been.  Never know what the man intended to say because he was rudely cut off and made the butt of a joke between the OP and her friend.  As I said before, there were a great many recourses she could have taken that would have been praiseworthy. That she did not take a “worse” path than she already did is not praise worthy.  That she is then able to come into the public section of Elliquiy and brag about her actions is pretty bad, worse yet that people make excuses for her.

Also, did she have to come into the public section of Elliquiy to brag about her accomplishment?  Did she have to make a thread entirely devoted to actions within the Religion and Politics thread?  Why not post her actions up on the Good and Cuddly or something of humor.  If the act was just for humor, then why not there where she could talk about something that made her laugh?  No, she posted her actions on the forum she knew would gain her praise for ridiculing someone else of religion.  Sad part is she is right.  This thread is just one excuse after another.

He’s religious, which basically translates into he deserved it.  The age old, wrong place wrong time thrown up as well as if he once more deserved it.  How dare he talk to strangers at a bus stop!  He was going to talk about his religion, as if how dare someone attempt to talk to a stranger about something they view as important.  The man looked religious and then of course people make fun of the stereotypes for Mormons.  Then people fall back to, oh it wasn’t that bad and could’ve been worse for him like she was doing him a favor. 

Seriously, is this what we’re going to do now?  Make excuses for people picking on others we don’t like, but then acting self-righteous when the tables are turned?

gaggedLouise

It would have been vastly different if it had been, let's say a Roman Catholic nun or priest and the other had replied by "No, what? Does the Pope s**t in the woods?" That's a much more demeaning twist, and the difference in tone has nothing to do with whether one sees Roman Catholicism as a more sympathetic religious tradition than Mormonism.

Quote from: Kythia on September 06, 2013, 04:18:09 AM
*makes a mental note to only preach to Louise when she's at the theatre with an evil friend*

Might be interesting if he's tied me up and forced me to watch Catwoman and you enter wearing a dark rubber catsuit.  :D

Imogen

Quote from: gaggedLouise on September 06, 2013, 04:32:51 AM
It would have been vastly different if it had been, let's say a Roman Catholic nun or priest and the other had replied by "No, what? Does the Pope s**t in the woods?" That's a much more demeaning twist, and the difference in tone has nothing to do with whether one sees Roman Catholicism as a more sympathetic religious tradition than Mormonism.

Giving an example of a different rude act doesn't imply the original act was not rude. Not that I care about this topic much, but just pointing out a flaw in your logic.

[tr][td]
[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[/tr][/table]

Rogue

*coughs* Basically, if he had left her alone, she would have left him alone. If someone comes up to me, randomly and starts saying "Have you heard the Good news?" Or "Do you want to hear about our Lord and Savior?" (basically equivalent in the realm of "I'm going to shove my dick religion in your face!") it doesn't matter how he looked. He came up with a sale's men attitude and in her area it might mean "Mormon" because that's who does that in her area. Either way, she didn't approach him. He approached her. She threw him off guard by trying to do the same thing in response (ie: promoting the idea that a mythical creature could exist!) and thought to share this on E because, let's face it, sales people (except where you enter the place of selling) are irritating. It wasn't her going up to guys holding signs that they were Christian and cutting down their values. It was someone coming up to her, her preparing herself based on what she'd experienced in the past, and (after being proven correct) defusing the situation without being overtly rude and merely humorous.

Have you ever tried just saying no thank you to someone who is trying to peddle their religion when you're stuck in a location and can't close the door on them? It's REALLY hard. I've had it happen to me as a CASHIER! I hadn't even expected it. I wish I had come up with a way to just dumbfound them so I could escape with ease...

And I don't think it encourages them any more than saying no thanks. It's all the same. Just one more person who DOESN'T want to be converted and therefore obviously NEEDS it.

((Also, can't stand people who say "have a blessed day!" I could never bring myself to have those words come from my mouth.))

Serephino

I myself don't like how religion is viewed and treated on this forum, and especially this board where it's supposed to be respected.  However, one cannot deny that those people who try to shove their religion down other people's throats are extremely annoying.  If I decide to engage in a debate with someone that is one thing.  But these people intrude themselves into other peoples' lives and try to recruit them into their religion.  I'm religious, and I don't like it.  So, maybe a smart ass answer is rude, but isn't pushing religion on someone minding their own business just as rude? 

And, um, yeah, saying 'have you heard the good news?' to a stranger, that means they're about to go into a religious speech.  That's common sense.  That's the only time that phrase is ever used.  I'd have the same reaction to it.  Trying to shove your religion down someone's throat is rude.  This guy was not some innocent that was preyed upon.  He was not in a debate forum.  He was not asked a question.  He tried to force himself on strangers at a bus stop.   

lilhobbit37

The key here is she never once belittled him or her beliefs, told him he was wrong or anything like that. Replace unicorn with allah or abother valid religion and it would be less humoroua but just as valid. She didn't say his belifs were wrong, merely used humor to point out she had her own beliefs and prefer he not shove his down her throat.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: lilhobbit37 on September 06, 2013, 09:05:34 AM
The key here is she never once belittled him or his beliefs, told him he was wrong or anything like that. Replace unicorn with allah or another valid religion and it would be less humorous but just as valid. She didn't say his belifs were wrong, merely used humor to point out she had her own beliefs and prefer he not shove his down her throat.

Exactly. I don't see either how that joke would have been personally belittling, brash or demeaning.

I would never argue with the assertions of "good news" of the guy below, but that's because the song is bouncing with the force of a really lived turnover, a personal witness (also it doesn't try to push doctrines on us). The album this is from changed my life and my thoughts on some things, not by preaching but by its human and musical force (yes, it does encompass some Christian themes as well as an authentic gospel vibe) and by a personal background I was left to figure out mostly for myself (some of my readings of it being confirmed much later).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptrag0cNIvY

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Serephino on September 06, 2013, 09:01:40 AMI myself don't like how religion is viewed and treated on this forum, and especially this board where it's supposed to be respected.  However, one cannot deny that those people who try to shove their religion down other people's throats are extremely annoying.  If I decide to engage in a debate with someone that is one thing.  But these people intrude themselves into other peoples' lives and try to recruit them into their religion.  I'm religious, and I don't like it.  So, maybe a smart ass answer is rude, but isn't pushing religion on someone minding their own business just as rude? 

And, um, yeah, saying 'have you heard the good news?' to a stranger, that means they're about to go into a religious speech.  That's common sense.  That's the only time that phrase is ever used.  I'd have the same reaction to it.  Trying to shove your religion down someone's throat is rude.  This guy was not some innocent that was preyed upon.  He was not in a debate forum.  He was not asked a question.  He tried to force himself on strangers at a bus stop.   

Yes. This. Thank you.
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Rogue

Quote from: Serephino on September 06, 2013, 09:01:40 AM
I myself don't like how religion is viewed and treated on this forum, and especially this board where it's supposed to be respected.  However, one cannot deny that those people who try to shove their religion down other people's throats are extremely annoying.  If I decide to engage in a debate with someone that is one thing.  But these people intrude themselves into other peoples' lives and try to recruit them into their religion.  I'm religious, and I don't like it.  So, maybe a smart ass answer is rude, but isn't pushing religion on someone minding their own business just as rude? 

*blushes* I wasn't trying to be rude towards religion. I was just referencing a joke. I enjoy religious debates myself, and have no issue with religious people... until they try to tell me my lifestyle choices are wrong and I'm going to hell for them (Which to me equates to them thinking I'm as bad as murderers and rapists since most sects don't do the whole 7 layers of hell thing...) Religions are really cool and the stories are typically really interesting and the MUSIC! Omg I love the music that comes from religion most of the times (even if sometimes they read as secular love songs.) I just don't believe in the stuff.

You also made your point a lot more eloquently than I did. :)

Serephino

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on September 06, 2013, 09:42:06 AM
*blushes* I wasn't trying to be rude towards religion. I was just referencing a joke. I enjoy religious debates myself, and have no issue with religious people... until they try to tell me my lifestyle choices are wrong and I'm going to hell for them (Which to me equates to them thinking I'm as bad as murderers and rapists since most sects don't do the whole 7 layers of hell thing...) Religions are really cool and the stories are typically really interesting and the MUSIC! Omg I love the music that comes from religion most of the times (even if sometimes they read as secular love songs.) I just don't believe in the stuff.

You also made your point a lot more eloquently than I did. :)

I wasn't referring to you, or even this particular thread.  I was just stating that I understand how irritating the religion bashing here in PROC can be.  I think that's part of the problem Pumpkin has with this, that yet again religion is being bashed, at least in her view.

Iniquitous

I am going to beg to differ with all of you defending the OP. I am sorry. What she did is incredibly rude and if she had come on here to complain about someone doing the exact same thing to her when she opened her mouth to say something (again, we do not know what the man was going to say - he could just as easily been about to say ‘have you heard the good news? Congress approved military action!’] then every single one of you would be up in arms about how she had been mistreated.

You cannot have it both ways. If it is ok for us to do it to those we don’t like, don’t want around, don’t agree with, don’t respect then we need to shut up and accept it when it is done to us. Is that going to happen? Of course not… none of us like being the butt of a joke.

Imogen and Pumpkin have the right of it. TSM showed an extreme lack of maturity in her actions. Instead of acting the adult she is, she chose to pull out grade school antics to humiliate someone she doesn’t agree with. She disrespected him and she made fun of him.

Part of the problem I see constantly is so very few seem to understand the golden rule. Treat others as you wish to be treated. Would this mean TSM wants to be treated as the butt of everyone’s jokes? Somehow, I think not.

It’s real simple. Treat each other with respect. Treat each other with kindness. Even when you do not agree with them or they do not agree with you. If we all lived by that then this world would be a hell of a lot better place.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.