News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Sarah Palin's Crib Sheet

Started by Jude, February 08, 2010, 04:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jude

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93375?fp=1

So I'm curious if there's anyone left who still thinks she's smart enough to be President.  Thoughts?

Talia

I think she should stick with the Tea Party for now.......
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Avi

Not prepared to be President?  You bet'cha!
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Albedo

Lets see, Resigned as Governer in her first term and three years in for questionable reasons. Was one of the main reasons Mccain lost the election. Can't answer tough questions like "What kind of magazines do you read? Who's your favorite founding father?" Says she speaks for the common folk the "real" Americans. But lives in a mansion. Complains about Obama reading off of a teleprompter but instead writes answers on her hand at a tea party rally.

Oh yeah she's totally presidential material.

Beguile's Mistress

I really don't know why anyone should be worried about her becoming President.

She shoots her mouth off so often she's bound to hit her foot sooner or later.

Revolverman

I personally believe Sarah Palin is a satirist on the level of Colbert.

NO ONE can be this... Stereotypical.

AthenaNude

Since when was intelligence suddenly a criteria again for becoming President?  I'm surprised they don't use coloring books for the swearing in ceremony.

I will say this, though, I'd happily and publicly make out with Sarah Palin anytime and anywhere, regardless of her politics or IQ.  I wish she was more bi.

ThePrince

It cost them $100,00 dollars to have her speak there, you would think she could memorize a speech.

Ironic that she does this right after making a joke about the president using a teleprompter.

I am reminded of a Simpsons joke, where Homer was talking to Lenny and Karl and he had there race written on his hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone caught her with Obama = Black Biden = White written on her hand.
RP Request Thread
O/O's
I am what I am. I am my own special creation.
So come take a look, Give me the hook or the ovation.
It's my world that I want to have a little pride in.
It's my world and it's not a place I have to hide in.
Life ain't worth a dam till you can say I am what I am.

Callie Del Noire

I honestly doubt that she is any dumber (or inept) that some of the folks who are in office elsewhere.

Especially after having met some of the NC republicans 'running the show' during last years Govenor's race.

She is just tagged with being the 'best republican to make like a tool' sound bites for the new. (Since Dick Cheney crawled back in his hole)

Carpy

Who in the republican advisery camp thought she was a great idea? Are they so lacking in female representative that she is the best they had.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Carpy on February 13, 2010, 12:40:27 AM
Who in the republican advisery camp thought she was a great idea? Are they so lacking in female representative that she is the best they had.

That would be the arch-conservative nut jobs that have hijacked the party. The ones who think only two issues count for your standing as a 'legitimate' republican : Anti-Abortion and Anti-gay marriage.

Carpy

Ah so the people who think they have the right to lead the 'Free world'.

Inkidu

Quote from: Avi on February 08, 2010, 08:23:05 PM
Not prepared to be President?  You bet'cha!
And exactly how is that different from reading it from a teleprompter? I'm curious. It's all the same freaking thing.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Inkidu on February 13, 2010, 10:02:40 AM
And exactly how is that different from reading it from a teleprompter? I'm curious. It's all the same freaking thing.

Precisely.

Our 'Dear Leader' cannot even seem to make a simple speech at an elementary school without a teleprompter.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/01/24/obama_uses_teleprompters_during_speech_at_elementary_school.html

But irregardless, one should not be pilloried for being 'prepared'. Its just a gratuitous jab.

Vekseid

Quote from: Inkidu on February 13, 2010, 10:02:40 AM

Because it is an interview and not a speech.

We know a speech is scripted, there is no lie to be hidden within the format itself. Why should my president spend his time memorizing a speech - especially to school children - when he can spend that mental effort on other problems? There have been a scant handful of instances where a speaker gave their speech impromptu.

A cheat card for an interview, however, suggests a staged interview.

That she still had trouble with.

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Vekseid on February 13, 2010, 10:28:06 AM
Because it is an interview and not a speech.

We know a speech is scripted, there is no lie to be hidden within the format itself. Why should my president spend his time memorizing a speech - especially to school children - when he can spend that mental effort on other problems? There have been a scant handful of instances where a speaker gave their speech impromptu.

A cheat card for an interview, however, suggests a staged interview.

That she still had trouble with.

If he cannot speak impromptu before a gathering of elementary children how in the world would he have the cajones to stand up to China, Russia and Iran?

Palin is criticized for not having the intellect, and then when she does make some minor preparations, she's further criticized. This is all silly.

The plain truth of all of this is, were she a progressive pro-choice feminist we would not be having this conversation. But because she doesn't fit into the preconceived group-think template of what people thing a woman she be like, she's voraciously and continually attacked. Yeah, that'll raise the hackles of some here I imagine, but only because it is the truth of the matter.

Trieste

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on February 13, 2010, 10:46:01 AM
If he cannot speak impromptu before a gathering of elementary children how in the world would he have the cajones to stand up to China, Russia and Iran?

Because he wasn't addressing school children. It says in the link you put up that he was addressing the press. Given the nature of reporting in this country, he's better have a teleprompter. At least the Iranian leaders have a soul.

Palin is criticized for not having the intellect, and then when she does make some minor preparations, she's further criticized. This is all silly.

She wrote on her hand like a fourth grader. If she's going to be using notes, she should have made them on note cards and held them in her lap like a professional.

If I'm in a generous mood, I'd point out that writing down talking points that one would like to make a note to cover during a Q&A session is not a bad thing. Writing it on one's hand instead of carrying note cards suggests intent to deceive. I don't care what her actual intentions are; writing notes on the hand is equated with cheating on tests by most people who have attended school, and it's seen as dishonest. After winning so many pageants, you'd think she'd be more conscious of her public image.

The plain truth of all of this is, were she a progressive pro-choice feminist we would not be having this conversation. But because she doesn't fit into the preconceived group-think template of what people thing a woman she be like, she's voraciously and continually attacked. Yeah, that'll raise the hackles of some here I imagine, but only because it is the truth of the matter.

Yes, we would. Stupid politicians are stupid, and I am just as critical of Hillary Clinton as I am of Sarah Palin. Stupid has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with being stupid.

Just like race has little to do with Obama's actual politics, gender has little to do with Palin's infantile antics.

HairyHeretic

Its not the truth. Your truth perhaps, but better to say your opinion, same as everything else is someone else's opinion.

Palin is criticised for many things. It's not because she does not meet some imaginary template standards though. Now, if she wants to criticise the use of a teleprompter, but then uses artificial aids of her own, that's hypocrisy, plain and simple.

I consider her to be unfit for any kind of high public office. The fact that she abandoned the office she was elected to further strengthens that view. In her campaigning during the previous election, she came across as out of her depth, ignorant of anything beyond a narrow perspective that would appeal to the base republican vote. Her behavior and speeches were divisive, a constant us against them mentality.

Now, when after the campaign you have numerous republican sources criticising her, and saying that literally the only thing she brought to the republican ticket was her gender, that ought to give some degree of perspective.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Vekseid

Erf. Sorry Zamdrist. Want to post this 'cuz I wrote it without seeing theirs. Will probably leave this for others. Hate dogpiling.

He stood up to the Republicans just fine. There is a difference between 'cannot' and 'not bothering to'.

I don't make every decision on this forum. Does that mean I am intellectually incapable of any given task performed here?

I have IPTables logs to review, e-mail bounces to check, a kernel upgrade to perform tonight, and I'm going to be spending most of the day doing schema work. Do you think, that at the end of that, I could whip out something like this?

When I write things like that, I am quite visibly emotional. In fact you can generally gauge the strength of my feelings in a post by the number of replies I get. I've been using that, lately, as a gauge of whether or not I should post things on certain topics at all. My work, however, does not lend itself to emotions. It is firmly rooted in logic, facts and numbers.

Impromptu speeches - the ones that are generally remembered as being good - are often prompted by an event. They are hard to come by and rarely because we want them to happen in hindsight. They work because the subject burns itself into your mind and there is no distraction from it.

I should not have to explain to anyone that the President of the United States can be assumed to have a lot on his mind. And certainly I hope he is taking a logical, fact-based, and dry approach to the issues he is facing.

As much as crossing out a word written on her hand instead of a notecard for a staged interview is silly.

If she was a progressive pro-choice feminist she would not be in an equivalent position. Hell if she was a genuine conservative pro-lifer she would not be in an equivalent position (quite possibly vice president instead).

Until people calling themselves conservatives start holding their own to a higher standard, I can only picture this getting worse.

Jude

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on February 13, 2010, 10:46:01 AMIf he cannot speak impromptu before a gathering of elementary children how in the world would he have the cajones to stand up to China, Russia and Iran?
Lets see if I follow your logic here.  Our President uses a teleprompter to give speeches to elementary school children... therefore we should be concerned about his ability to stand up to other countries with interests that are at odds with America.  I'm not even seeing a vague logical relationship here.
Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on February 13, 2010, 10:46:01 AMPalin is criticized for not having the intellect, and then when she does make some minor preparations, she's further criticized. This is all silly.
As Trieste said, she was criticized for writing on her hand like a fourth grader attempting to cheat on a test.  This is childish and amateurish to the extreme.  Add in the fact that she was deriding the President for using a teleprompter within the same breath and we have hypocrisy.

And because the notes written on her hand were simplistic one-word descriptions, it should finally be obvious to everyone that her positions lack in deep thought and nuance.  I find it absolutely mind-boggling that she needed notes to remind her of the same talking points that she and other conservatives have been rallying against for god knows how long.  It isn't like she was trying to remember dates or names of important events, tricky concepts, or hard to spell words.  She wrote down, "Energy, Budget cuts (with "budget" crossed out), Tax, Lift American Spirits."  This is the same tripe that Republicans have been going on about the entire year; most of it's been a central part of the Republican platform since Reagan.  And you seriously think this person is intelligent enough to be the next President of the United States?

Quote from: Zamdrist of Zeitgeist on February 13, 2010, 10:46:01 AMThe plain truth of all of this is, were she a progressive pro-choice feminist we would not be having this conversation. But because she doesn't fit into the preconceived group-think template of what people thing a woman she be like, she's voraciously and continually attacked. Yeah, that'll raise the hackles of some here I imagine, but only because it is the truth of the matter.
That's every bit as unreasonable as the people who say that Obama is only being attacked because he's black.  I'm wondering, to begin with, what qualifies you to judge how everyone who dislikes her thinks?  I find that it's incredibly arrogant of you to claim that you understand why we all feel like we do about her when you don't know us at all.

Personally, I respect people who have the courage to stand up for positions that go against what the stereotypical person of their race, class, or religion believes.  I love independent thinkers.  The reason I dislike Sarah Palin is she has, time and time again, shown that she is a non-thinker.  But I'll give you the full list of reasons as to why people dislike Sarah Palin, so that you don't have to keep believing your manufactured truth on the subject.

One, she's a hypocrite.  This story is one branch of her self-contradiction tree, but there's so much more where that comes from.  Another recently example is the retard controversy with Rahm Emanuel and Rush Limbaugh.

Two, her positions are uninformed and often simply idiotic.  She supports abstinence only sex education even though she's seen it fail in her own personal life with her daughter.  She's also one of the people credited with starting the "death panels" rumor and as far as I can tell still hasn't backed away from that shining example of political deception.

Three, she's purposely divisive.  Her rhetoric about real America and fake America was just despicable.  It's a continuation of the same "ivory tower liberalism" myth that conservatives have perpetrated for years, only she took it a step further and drew the lines in greater detail.  I remember during the campaign she actually mentioned the place I was living in at the time and I had to laugh because I had no intention to vote for her even though I initially thought McCain seemed O.K. until she joined the ticket.

Four, she shows a great lack of respect for the American people.  She uses simplistic slogans to support her points of view which are insulting to people's intelligence and manipulative:  i.e. drill baby drill.  But it doesn't stop there!  In her book she mentions that she was coached to give non-answers during the Vice Presidential Debate before the election, and she did just that.  I find it absolutely infuriating that she chose to, even if the McCain advisers wanted her to do it, waste everybody's time who actually bothered to be engaged in the political process by dodging questions and purposely saying nothing of note.  That's an insult to everyone who actually bothered to watch it.

I could really go on and on but that's really what irritates me the most.  I'm not a liberal, I'm a centrist.  I don't have strong feelings on abortion but I'm definitely not completely pro choice or pro life; I'd like some tougher restrictions myself.  So those arguments simply don't fly.

Conservatives need to stop deluding themselves into thinking the convenient truth that everyone simply dislikes her for reasons of sexism (which is what it ultimately boils down to) or because of the media; there are plenty of legitimate reasons for thinking she's an idiot, and she keeps adding to the list.

Trieste

Quote from: Jude on February 13, 2010, 01:46:24 PM
She wrote down, "Energy, Budget cuts (with "budget" crossed out), Tax, Lift American Spirits."

Just as a note, I interpreted it as writing down "Budget cuts", realizing that's not what she meant, crossing out budget and rewriting it to "tax cuts". Which is a Repub standard and makes more sense than just crossing out budget and leaving only 'cuts'.

... makes more sense as long as I refrain from commentary on the Republican concept of budget, anyway.

Serephino

There are a lot of reasons I also think she's an idiot, and it has nothing to do with her gender.  For one, everything Jude said...  The only reason she's well known is she was a VP candidate... gods knows why...  It seems to me the only reason she was picked was because everyone thought Obama was going to pick Hilary Clinton, and some idiot thought Hilary's popularity was due to the fact she's a woman, so they thought they needed a woman too.  She had to be given a crash course in Politics for crying out loud.

During the campaign the bitch had the gall to lead people to think that Obama was Muslim, and therefore pro terrorist!  That little Conservative tactic that if you don't believe as they do you're Un American makes me want to strangle someone.  Bush did it to Congress every time they didn't give him exactly what he wanted, and seeing her do it made me wish I could crawl through the TV and fucking shoot her! 

Her religious views are yet another reason I don't like her.  She's a radical, and her political views come from that.  I read lots of scary things, and watching clips of 'Jesus Camp' made me sick to my stomach.  I don't want someone else's religious views forced on me, and she seems like the type that would try.   

So yes, there are many reasons I hate her guts; too many to count at this point.  And yes, writing things on her hand was a childish and stupid move.  There's nothing wrong with using note cards or a teleprompter.  When I had speech class we were taught to use note cards in fact because it isn't easy to memorize long speeches word for word.  I was told the same thing when on my high school speech team.  We were competing and encouraged to use note cards.  She just wanted to slam the president and make it look like she didn't need aides to make a speech, though clearly she did since she wrote things on her hand and I saw clips of her looking at her hands.   

Doomsday

It makes me smirk because she needed to be reminded to talk about 'taxes' at a Tea Party convention.

Wolfy

Quote from: Albedo on February 08, 2010, 09:06:58 PM
Lets see, Resigned as Governer in her first term and three years in for questionable reasons. Was one of the main reasons Mccain lost the election. Can't answer tough questions like "What kind of magazines do you read? Who's your favorite founding father?" Says she speaks for the common folk the "real" Americans. But lives in a mansion. Complains about Obama reading off of a teleprompter but instead writes answers on her hand at a tea party rally.

Oh yeah she's totally presidential material.

And yet somehow she's still better than Bush. Hah! *zings and flees*