Marauder's Era Harry Potter : Dark Times Rising Recruitment (Need Canons)

Started by SweetSerenade, May 24, 2013, 01:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minerva7790

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 24, 2013, 12:56:09 PM
Working on profiles is good an all, but just get details down. I'm making a brand new profile format for this roleplay, and the coding will take me a bit. I need to wait till the baby isn't being such an arse to my stomach.

Alright, I'll keep brewing ideas in my cauldron till then!

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 24, 2013, 02:05:45 PM
*Smiles softly* I go by Rogue, but yeah, the fifth year sounds right as well. You know how that goes... Fannon and cannon getting all screwed up. Also, There is the whole theory that since old Voldie wasn't meant to kill Lily (via the dementor flashbacks) that he defected to the light because Voldie killed Lily not before.

Alright then, hi Rogue! TimeyWimey is cooler though, even if it's a bit of a mouthful. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey. :D

That theory is plausible, if not for those bits in Book 7 where Snape pleads Dumbledore to help save Lily. I think Snape also mentioned trying to beg Voldemort to save her life, and that might be why Voldemort tried to spare Lily, maybe as a favour to Snape. I hope I'm not confusing the movie with the book here though, because when I think about this, all I can see is the scene from the movie playing in my head.
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Rogue

Quote from: minerva7790 on June 24, 2013, 10:45:03 PM
Alright, I'll keep brewing ideas in my cauldron till then!

Alright then, hi Rogue! TimeyWimey is cooler though, even if it's a bit of a mouthful. Wibbly wobbly timey wimey. :D

That theory is plausible, if not for those bits in Book 7 where Snape pleads Dumbledore to help save Lily. I think Snape also mentioned trying to beg Voldemort to save her life, and that might be why Voldemort tried to spare Lily, maybe as a favour to Snape. I hope I'm not confusing the movie with the book here though, because when I think about this, all I can see is the scene from the movie playing in my head.

*curses mildly since she was unable to get a hold of her solid copies the last time she went home* Anyone feel like checking that? I don't feel like rifling through an e-book for the information, though I will if I have to.

Ember Star

*looks up "how to draw Harry Potter wand" on YouTube, finds one video done by a 10 year old in bad lighting and bad video quality* Ugh. Fine I'll do without. Can't be that hard to draw a presentable wand without instructions, can it? Oh wait, I'm mad picky and overly critical of my own work and have trouble drawing straight lines. *mumbles* Well at least I have time to practice and I don't think Sweets requires a visual, I just want one after all this time.
Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 24, 2013, 11:20:40 PM
*curses mildly since she was unable to get a hold of her solid copies the last time she went home* Anyone feel like checking that? I don't feel like rifling through an e-book for the information, though I will if I have to.
I'll try to later.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Rogue

SweetSerenade

Do some research on wands please? The woods and cores mean different things, and the woods are actually tied to the sacred celtic trees :D

The Harry Potter Wikia has SO much to offer in the way of details on wands. :D

Bakemono Shiki RP(Lovely Siggy Layout is thanks to Amaris)

Ember Star

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 24, 2013, 11:23:52 PM
Do some research on wands please? The woods and cores mean different things, and the woods are actually tied to the sacred celtic trees :D

Yes, dear, I know a great deal about wand lore. I did a good bit of research on it a couple of years ago because of Amira's mother. I've considered changing it to something that makes more sense than cherry wood over the years. It's just has never been an issue in the groups I've joined, so I haven't bothered. I designed the wand before I got into doing wandlore research.
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Rogue

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 24, 2013, 11:23:52 PM

Ummmmm.... Not all of this is Cannon but... research!

Ember Star

but just so you know, cherry is acceptable as wand wood. So I just assume not change it at this point.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Cherry_(tree)

SweetSerenade

Ember but is the wood acceptable for your characters Archetype? The wood is connected to the soul, as odd as it sounds. It's important that the wood has some connection to the person themselves. :D

Ember Star

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 24, 2013, 11:34:20 PM
Ember but is the wood acceptable for your characters Archetype? The wood is connected to the soul, as odd as it sounds. It's important that the wood has some connection to the person themselves. :D
I know. That's why I've considered changing it over the years. When I picked it I didn't know much about wandlore and I'm not sure it's the prefect choice for my character. Though there are points of it that fit her and the importance of the wand quite well, I'm just not sure they all do. It's just one of those thing, when you've had a character for 4 years, you kinda hate to change the little details do to personal attachment.

SweetSerenade

Well takes some time and dig through the wood components, and see what would most fit her and what she will become?

For instance, I'm considering digging through and seeing if 'Rowan' is really that fitting for Cerridwen. Though I've always made her wand core 'pookah tail hair' - because if you know the old legends of Pookahs... the creature is actually QUITE fitting for her nature... she really is mischief... Ollivander noted that not a single Rowan wand he had sold has ever been held by a Dark Wizard. Rowan wands almost always go to 'pure-hearted' individuals. I'm thinking about digging through the woods and seeing if there is a more fitting food for Cerridwen.

Ember Star

points that fit

a rare wood to use for wands - this wand was suppose to be her mother's masterpiece in her carer thus far before she was killed. Amira is a rarity herself, with her unusual eyes, deep red hair, and the fact that she is the last of a line of talents witches and wizards. She is no exception to hee family's rare talents.

Strangely powerful - again, referring back to her family line. Amira has power, though she does not boost about it or show it off.

self control - this is mainly referring to dragon heartstrings, but nonetheless, Amira has a great deal of self control. Calm, quiet, shy even, yet she still manages to lead her Quiddish teammates and has never had an outburst at another student over anything. Despite wanting to sometimes

SweetSerenade

Well if you really feel so, then still use it. :D I'm digging through, and will come up with an explanation for Cerridwen's wand if it ends up with a weird combination. Which I am thinking it may end up being so. XD

minerva7790

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 24, 2013, 11:20:40 PM

Alright, I was lazy just now, but I've dug out my copy of Deathly Hallows. Chapter 33, The Prince's Tale. Page 543 of the UK edition, Snape comes to Dumbledore with a 'request' to hide the Potters. Dumbledore's tone of words suggest that Snape has not been working with the Order before this. Snape promises to give Dumbledore 'anything' in return. The scene after this is between Dumbledore and Snape discussing the failure to keep Lily safe, but the need to keep Harry alive for her sake.

Interestingly, in the scene before, when Snape apologises for calling Lily a Mudblood (this was in their 5th year, after their Defence Against the Dark Arts OWLs), Lily uses the term 'your precious little Death Eater friends', and says "You don't even deny that's what you're all aiming to be! You can't wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?" The line after that is 'He [Snape] opened his mouth, but closed it without speaking.', implying that Lily was right. So sometime in the 5th year, Snape already had some plans of joining the Death Eaters?
'But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve
For daws to peck at: I am not what I am.'

Ons and Offs ~ Absences and Apologies

Ember Star

I do feel so. But I'll still dig through and read them all. They've added a few since I did my research. Guess Pottermore has helped expand knowledge. So I'm.curious about the ones I don't know about. Plus, can't help to brush up on it. Especially with it being two years since I've looked.

What about the rest of her background? Look okay?

oh and I forgot to add that she has a cat. I have a pic of him. I'll add in a blip about him later.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Ember Star on June 25, 2013, 12:02:58 AM
I do feel so. But I'll still dig through and read them all. They've added a few since I did my research. Guess Pottermore has helped expand knowledge. So I'm.curious about the ones I don't know about. Plus, can't help to brush up on it. Especially with it being two years since I've looked.

What about the rest of her background? Look okay?

oh and I forgot to add that she has a cat. I have a pic of him. I'll add in a blip about him later.

I have enjoyed the snippet you have given me, but I won't give any definite till after I have the profiles ready to go and they have been fully filled out. Me and Rogue will view profiles together, and well go over each section slowly. If there are any problems, we will do a group Pm with the details we might ask to be changed. This will be the same way for everyone.

Ember Star

Rogue

Quote from: minerva7790 on June 24, 2013, 11:59:53 PM
Alright, I was lazy just now, but I've dug out my copy of Deathly Hallows. Chapter 33, The Prince's Tale. Page 543 of the UK edition, Snape comes to Dumbledore with a 'request' to hide the Potters. Dumbledore's tone of words suggest that Snape has not been working with the Order before this. Snape promises to give Dumbledore 'anything' in return. The scene after this is between Dumbledore and Snape discussing the failure to keep Lily safe, but the need to keep Harry alive for her sake.

Interestingly, in the scene before, when Snape apologises for calling Lily a Mudblood (this was in their 5th year, after their Defence Against the Dark Arts OWLs), Lily uses the term 'your precious little Death Eater friends', and says "You don't even deny that's what you're all aiming to be! You can't wait to join You-Know-Who, can you?" The line after that is 'He [Snape] opened his mouth, but closed it without speaking.', implying that Lily was right. So sometime in the 5th year, Snape already had some plans of joining the Death Eaters?

Nice. Thanks hon. It's been a while since I've been able to read cannon.

SweetSerenade

Holy CARP - according to the link that Rogue posted *mountain Ash* also known as Rowan is Cerridwens Celtic wand wood O.o... but I'm also looking over other aspects. Because our astrological symbols don't always fit us. I'm an Aries Taurus Cusp, but I don't really fit as an aries or a taurus! So I'm contemplating which of the 12 other wand woods I am looking at... fit her...

Ember Star

read them all on the Potter wiki. Think I'm sticking with cherry. The only two that jumped out at me as possibly suiting Amira were pine and vine, and then beech a little. But I honestly don't see them fitting anymore than cherry. I'll consider them though.

However, I'm gonna go brush up on wand cores and make sure unicorn hair is still the best choice for her. 

SweetSerenade

I actually think Vine is very fitting from what I have seen of her, but that's solely up to you. The wand REALLY does make the Witch or Wizard.

OH Rogue I also found SUBSTANTIAL evidence of the existence of Druids! And the powers they had! I'm darn proud of what I did with Cerri now :D

I'm also still a firm believer that Merlin (Taelisin) was THE High Druid of Britain in his time, and other than his Oak wand, he was also known to carry a Rowan STAFF. I think that a lot of the older magics have been lost, but could be recovered if the Witches and Wizards actually reconnected with those who have continued the art of Druidry in the muggle world.

Ember Star

well that didn't take long. They only had 7 wand cores listed and only half of those have wandlore listed.

Still ended up at the same conclusion I always did about known cores. Phoenix feather or unicorn hair. Personally I prefer Phoenix, which is what I always used in the groups I helped run. It's better suited to her personality. But the last group I was in didn't want a Phoenix core wand because they're suppose to be so rare. Which, I agree. But it still suits her.

Rogue

Quote from: SweetSerenade on June 25, 2013, 12:39:41 AM
I actually think Vine is very fitting from what I have seen of her, but that's solely up to you. The wand REALLY does make the Witch or Wizard.

OH Rogue I also found SUBSTANTIAL evidence of the existence of Druids! And the powers they had! I'm darn proud of what I did with Cerri now :D

I'm also still a firm believer that Merlin (Taelisin) was THE High Druid of Britain in his time, and other than his Oak wand, he was also known to carry a Rowan STAFF. I think that a lot of the older magics have been lost, but could be recovered if the Witches and Wizards actually reconnected with those who have continued the art of Druidry in the muggle world.

Oh??? Care to either post or PM it? I enjoy new info! *wriggles toes excitedly*

Ember Star

yeah, vine jumped out at me the most too. I'll consider changing it. Just need to think on it.

And yes, I know it does. There very little I don't know about the HP world. Been involved with it since I was 8, grew up with it, lived for the next book and/or movie coming out. Read all the books and seen all the movies multiple times. Been obsessed with research online. RPd it. Written it. Dreamed it. Harry Potter is my fandom. As much as I love Star Trek, Dr Who, Lord of the Rings, and Star Wars. I never lived and breathed them as much as HP. If it weren't for my bad memory, I'd be a damn Potterverse encyclopedia by now. LOL.

SweetSerenade

Quote from: Rogue of TimeyWimey Stuff on June 25, 2013, 12:51:01 AM
Oh??? Care to either post or PM it? I enjoy new info! *wriggles toes excitedly*

They actually had a link with some details about the Druids known in HP. One of which is actually on a Chocolate Frog Card :D if you go to the Harry Potter Wikia and put in Druid it pulls up some details :D