News:

Main Menu

Tattoos

Started by HairyHeretic, May 17, 2007, 10:44:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I've been toying with the idea of getting a tattoo for a few years, on and off, but recently I've had an image come to me that the more I think on it, the more it feels right to get done. As I've no experience with tattoos, I figured I'd ask if anyone here did.

What I'm thinking off is a raven on each shoulderblade, maybe 4-5 inches in height, just plain black. The pose would be fairly simple, body turned inwards towards the center of the back, heads looking the other way, out across the arms.

For those who have tattoos, or are reasonably familiar with them, I'd like to hear some thoughts on prices, time it would take, placement, or anything else thats worth knowing before you get one done.

Cheers.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Brittlby

I have Gir from Invader Zim tattooed on my stomach, and every time I wear a bikini or short midriff shirt the thought, "What was I thinking?" goes through my head. I still love Gir, but somehow I think I would have prefered a henna version...

Personally... I'd think. Then I'd think again. If you still want to do it, I... can reccommend the same rules I use when looking for piercing places. Visit it first. It should be clean, and there should be a lot of attention paid to sanitization of the tools and facilities. Make sure your intentions are clear before starting anything, and it really doesn't hurt to bargain shop between parlors. Go with your gut, if you don't like the place, move on. If you DO like it and feel comfortable... then still, think about it a bit.

These places can do you irreparable damage via allegic reaction, disease, or infection. And that's not even COUNTING the idea of what happens if your tattoo looks like shit and develops scarring. I'd reccommend looking at the "artists" work first. Most are really proud of it, so that shouldn't be too hard. Make sure you're comfortable with the facilities and with the person who's going to be doing the work. I'm not saying you need to know their family tree back four generations, but at least know their name and a bit about their work history. A simple, "How long you been doing this?" is usually good. This'll come in handy when it's time to file the lawsuit.
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

HairyHeretic

Well, as I've never had anything pierced, or the desire to do so ....  :)

I have a couple of friends that have gotten tattoos locally, so I plan on getting their views on who is worth visiting. Naturally I'd not get anything done if I felt the shop wasn't hygenic. I trust my instincts, and they rarely let me down.

I understand about getting a tattoo some exposed (for lack of a better word) but I think the shoulder blades are reasonable safe in that regard. They'd be covered by even a t-shirt, so I don't think that's going to be an issue.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Far eyes

When I was a bit younger (15-16) I really wanted to get a dragon tattoo. My father told me that he was ok with it but only if I would consider how it would look in 10 or 20 years time for a weak.

When the weak vas over I was not so hot about the tattoo.

If it’s something you are comfortable for having around for the rest of your life [More or less] then go for it, if it is something that might become a “I was young and had to much money” thing then perhaps think about it.

I am not saying you had not alredy.

Maybe tray one of those removable ones for a while to see how you like it
What a man says: "Through roleplaying, I want to explore the reality of the female experience and gain a better understanding of what it means to be a woman."

What he means: "I like lesbians".
A/A
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=180557.0

Elvi

Shoulder blades have very little flesh on them and what you are talking about having done are actually large tattoos.
Oh boy, that is seriously going to hurt.

My advice would be have a small tattoo done on a fleshy part of your body first and see if you think that you could go through having both your shoulder blades done AND coloured.....

(That is, of course when you have done everything that Brittlby suggested TWICE) 
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

GothicFires

It might be easier to live with a tattoo in an area you can't see like your shoulder blades... but I would suggest getting a henna tattoo and see if you actually can tolerate having your body marked. I had always thought about tattoos but never seriously. After my first henna tattoo I realized it annoyed me to see it after a while. Now as a henna artist wearing art work doesn't bother me (but it took a couple of years)... the one on my shoulder has been there three weeks (a record for me).

I have two tattoo's I want to get. A dragon triskele on the back of my neck and my company logo on the upper part of my right arm. i chose my artist based on his work. Specifically on himself. He tattooed two skulls looking at each other on his left arm using a single needle gun and a mirror. The shading and detail were very impressive. who ever you decide to go with... explore their portfolio and even if you pay the money for an appointment if you go in and their sketch isn't want you want... take the money as a loss and find someone else.

here is a link to a web site I found while looking for new ideas for my henna book. http://www.behindtheink.com/download there is a pdf file that you can download and read. It goes though many of the questions you probably have and has many different examples of tattoo work.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Sakura

I myself have four tattoos and they all mean something to me. I suggest going to a tattoo shop and asking them to do a test tattoo and see if you like then if you like it go back and get it but be sure you not only eat before you go but drink lots of water and DO NOT take any pain killers or anything like that because it will cause you to bleed more than usual. The one i got on my back hurt alot so i suggest you get one on your lower abdomen. Get a small one to start with. I did and i love it.
My Mom told me not to eat alot of Jell-O. Now I wiggle and I jiggle.

Brittlby

>_> What's wrong with piercings? I'll tell you, HH. There's an advantage to piercings.

They come out. *laugh*

(Which can be a bad thing. Lost my first piercing when it sealed up overnight. SURELY the naval won't heal that quickly, I thought. I'll just take it out while I sleep.)
Nitpicking naysayers barking like beagles, through the tall grass of poisonous tongues
Slide down your throat like an antidote you can quote...

O/O

Caustic

Elvi's right; shoulders are right painful.  It feels like a tickle or scratching until the needle passes over a close-to-surface bone; then it feels oddly like an little like electical burn in progress, but prolonged.  That's the downside of the shoulder blades.

A down AND an upside: yeah, they're more popular now than they used to be, and are more accepted by middle-class society (who'm I kiddin'.  If you work at a bookstore or coffee shop they're downright fashionable.  *spits*).  However, some people will judge it harshly.  They'll read you as either trashy or prone to impulsive behavior... Go with the shoulderblade, and you won't have to worry unless you're not wearing an undershirt or you work as a back model.

Money's a big deal here.  Dunno where you live, exactly, but I know a guy in Richmond who'd probably charge (and I'm just guessing) about $200 for black and white with minimal shade or color; extensive detail?  more like $300. 

Sakura mentioned some good things to remember too... I think others did, too... I'm kinda spaced, sorry.  But look at their style... ask to see folios, and ask them do a sketch first (usually this requires a deposit; if you don't get the tat, you forfeit part or all of the deposit).  Shop around.

Sunlight is bad for your tattoo for, like, months.  Can't remember how long.  If you get it in the sun when fresh, your skin will go apeshit and the UV will make it uglier than you can imagine.

Another plus... removal's cheaper than it used to be and much easier now.  So try Elvi's idea of a small tattoo.  See if you like it.  It's kind of addictive if you do.

Good luck.
Stories are for those late hours in the night when you can't remember how you got from where you were to where you are. Stories are for eternity, when memory is erased, when there is nothing to remember but the story. -Tim O'Brien

HairyHeretic

Cheers for the advice all. Money for this wouldn't be an issue ... I've a fairly decent paycheck coming in each week. I'd already estimated the cost for this at 200-300 euros most likely, based on checking with a friend of mine who has had tattoos done locally.

The henna idea is interesting, but not something I know anything about. I may check it out with the folks I know around here, and see if they have any input on that.

A test tattoo is also an idea. Something simple for me would be perhaps the kanji for honour or duty on the upper arm. That's another I have considered for some years.

The choice of the ravens is not just a matter of adornment. It has symbolic meanings for me on a number of levels, though I doubt you want to hear me getting all mystical  ;D

I realise there would be pain involved. Nothing worthwhile comes without a cost.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Monica

When I was seventeen I got a small, incredibly small heart tattoo on my lower back, right above my arse. It's quite small-- it really only wanted to see what it was like, as a sort of experimentation. I would have gotten something more elaborate there, but I wanted to experiment first.

I'm kind of glad I didn't get anything larger-- only because I've gotten mixed reactions from it. Mostly because that area is kind of noticeable for some, but because I got a smaller (and semi-lame) tattoo there, I really don't elicit much response from it.

Just think about it. When I was a bit younger I would have jumped at it; right now, i'd probably think on it.

HairyHeretic

Well, with my idea for putting it on the shoulderblades, the odds of anyone else seeing it are pretty slim. I don't intend jumping straight in and getting though, that's why I'm asking questions and such :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

King_Furby

I would never get a tattoo myself though most of the people in my family have them. But hey if you want one go for it, just pick something you know you will like for a very long time.

One thing, why do some people get tattoos on their fingers? There is some very sensitive and thin flesh there, god that would hurt i would imagine.

TheAlchemist

Quote from: King_Furby on May 21, 2007, 08:11:48 AM
One thing, why do some people get tattoos on their fingers? There is some very sensitive and thin flesh there, god that would hurt i would imagine.

I've seen tattoos in far worse places, pain wise (or at least I imagine they hurt much more).

Violet Maui

When I got a tattoo, my parents made me think about what I wanted first, and advised me to get it in a place that would not stretch or ruin it if I gained or lost weight. Also, since they each have four tattoos (My mom has five, got the last one done with me.) my parents booked the appointment for me at a reputable place.

I ended up getting it between my shoulderblades on the spine, which hurt minimally compared to what it should have - I fell asleep in the first ten minutes of laying on my stomach and watching some unknown movie. >.>;

It's really not that bad, the worst part is the healing - mine itched so badly, I was tempted to take anything sharp to scratch it, which is a big no no - and since it was between my shoulderblades, I couldn't reach! :P
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. So tie me up and throw me down, to show me that you like me."

Offs & Ons :: PM if interested!

Dai

Personally, I have six peices.

Right shoulder- Red Nautical star, with sXe over it (Straight edge) (First one)

Left shoulder- Blue nautical star with sXe over it (Fourth one)

right bicep- red heart with devil horns and bat wings (third)

left bicep- blue heart with a halo and angel wings (fifth

Chest- big sacred heart with sXe in the middle (in black) with a scroll on top reading One life and a scroll on bottom reading One choice. Top of the flames are at where my collar bones meet, and the bottom is a hair above where my sternum ends. The colors go from purple to red to orange to yellow going inwards. TH lettering on the scrolls is light blue. Four small nautical stars going around the top. (second)

Hollows of shoulders- Right- Red Thursday (the band) dove, left- Blue Thursday (the band) dove, both facing inwards. (Sixth)

Future plans- Irish flag on right thigh, with Jolly Rodger super-imposed over it. Left Calf- Pirate ship. Right Calf- Classic-style pirate pin-up.

Back- low-center- http://americanfearclothing.com/skull2.gif minus the crosses and the thing on the top (name slips my mind)/

Leigh

I only have one atm, a small heart with wings and a halo low on my back on the left side.  Looking to get a clover on my ankle.  Maybe something on my shoulder someday.

Elvi

Dai and Leigh,
This is thread is about someone asking about people's feelings/experiences on getting/having tattoos.

It may help the origionater to tell him whether you like/dislike your tattoos, if you think you made a mistake having them and if you would change or get rid of them if you could.

RubySlippers

I have two tattoos one of womens lips on right asscheek, my lover kissed me there with lipstick and they traced over it then did the tattoo I love that one and the other intertwined female symbols on my lower belly under my belly button both easy to cover up. If I wish to.

Both were done by a licensed artist who followed impeccible hygiene and sanitary practices, who was also very good.

But remember visible tattoos are a turn-off to some employment I recommend get them so they can be covered up in office clothes they are not visible but in other clothes the belly one can be seen if I wish.

King_Furby

if you want a tattoo go for it i say, just pick something you could live with and enjoy having.

HairyHeretic

Did so about 6 hours ago now  :)

Pain wasn't a huge deal .. I've had worse at the dentists. The image I ended up going with was something like this

http://www.bazza.com/klingon/pics/Raventat.gif

though all in black. Once it heals up a bit, I'll see about posting actual shots.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cherri Tart

yay! congratz!  *looks disappointed about the pain not being so bad*  well, now i really don't have a reason to get one... actually considered getting on on my hip - property of 'your name here' *giggle*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

Elvi

Just try to keep it clean and out of the sun Hairy, don't want scabby tatts do you?

Hope it's turned out well, I look forward to the photos....*smiles*

HairyHeretic

I'm a techie, I stay out of the sun as a matter of course ;)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

KeyOfTwilight

Just remember one thing when you get a tatoo.  In the famous words of Jeff Foxworthy, you may get something like a hummingbird one day, but come later in life...

"But I don't wanna go to Grandma's!  She has a BUZZARD on her back!"