News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Game of Thrones (custom ruled Pathfinder)

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 01, 2014, 09:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

“A craven can be as brave as any man, when there is nothing to fear. And we all do our duty, when there is no cost to it. How easy it seems then, to walk the path of honor. Yet soon or late in every man's life comes a day when it is not easy, a day when he must choose.”

"A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is.”

“The common people pray for rain, healthy children and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.”

“Why is it always the innocents who suffer most, when you high lords play your game of thrones?”

“I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand times harder than winning one.”

“...How would you like to die, Tyrion son of Tywin?"
"In my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a maiden's mouth around my cock, at the age of eighty"

Now those who do not know nor had seen any single episode of Game of Thrones (nor read books), then there is Wiki for it. Anyways despite my past failings trying to run group games I hope now after new year is a more promising than last year. As note I have seen only season 1 and I do plan check season 2 and catch up to season 3.

Anyways, the world of Westeros and overall setup itself is interesting setting for a low magic DnD game.

Char Creation Rules

Starting Level: 1
Race: All must be human
Stat Generation: 25 point buy
Magic: Low, meaning nothing above 4th level spells despite what class you take. To get past that, need epic story events which are related to increasing your magical powers in mystical empowering event. All Valyrian steel weapons are +1 enchanted weapons (plus any bonus from Master class provided masterwork bonus).
Class(es): All core (expect no bard) + Cavalier, Oracle and Witch. Also allowed use Noble class from dragonlance setting (just convert class skills to Pathfinder ones and you get bonus feats in 6th, 10th, 15th and 19th level and pick from following list; Deceitful, Dilettante, Persuasive, Leadership, Iron Will, Noble Scion (ignores 1st level req), Skill Focus [Noble class skill]. Also gain favored in house feat in 1st level (described in below).

Also we use Master class, it in effect replaces Bard core class in function wise. In Westeros traditional Master is a Maestre, a scholar and keeper of the lore. But it's not only way to play Master by being a maester (you can be minstrel, courtesan, master blacksmith, merchant etc).
Traits: All can choose 2, more with 'extra trait' feat. Need reflavor some regional or religion traits to Westeros themed.
Flaws: From unearthed arcana, max 2 flaws and need each flaw approved by GM.

House Rules:

Defense Bonus is in use
Armor as Damage Reduction in use
Vitality&Wound Points in use

As said, no caster gains past 4th level spells. As reference in Westeros the magic is usually subtle but there can be flashy energy manipulation and illusions and divinations are common as well. However any pure force spells do not exist (so forget mage armor and shield spells). Healing/Cure spells are possible but they take 1 minute to cast (a healing rituals as they are called). If in potions/vials it takes 1 minute spell to kick in.

There are healing ointments, herbs and alchemical products help the sick or against sickness. Heal skill cures 1d4 + 1/5 heal ranks (max +4) in wound points for doing first aid (takes 1 minute) after stabilizing character and injury must be greater than 1 wound point in cause. You can only do first aid only once given character (until further injury received or fully healed) and base DC to succeed in first aid is DC 15 heal check. Some alchemical or herbical items can increase amount of healed or give fortitude save bonus against infection.

Wound Infection: Any injury caused by physical attack which does wound damage (no vitality dmg) runs risks for infection. Base fortitude save is 10 to resist it. +2 for each circumstantial penalty like; hot moist weather, dirty blade, fell on mud while injured etc. Upon failure person gets targeted with Filth Fever (treated as first save failed this point). Other diseases can be possible depending on source.

I run out of time now to type this (doing this 5:20 AM, so need go to bed), but I log on later answer any questions. But as note any house is available to join in and game starts from same point as TV series start in but events can be changed. Some events I change myself to stir things up so things do not go exactly along the script. But most things do happen (mostly in making things interesting to players). None canon characters are allowed as PC's (but may have shared past/background with them).

Edit; Below is simple char bio stuff which you can fill before it's solidified do we use 3.5 edition or pathfinder.

[size=18pt][b]Name[/b][/size]
[float=left][img][/img][/float][b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b]

Accepted chars list
Septa Evalaine Gaunt
Redric Snow
Eryn Malthie
Nivek Tarton
Aerion Velaryon
Ser Vanduen

kckolbe

This sounds delightful.  Would love to play.  Also, I recommend going pathfinder or, if using D&D, allowing Unearthed Arcana to make non magic or low magic options more prevalent. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Faeli

I am tots in for this, and run the system you wanna run :P

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Faeli

Are we going to be allied or is this going to have several plotlines going on?

Laughing Hyena

godfang

sounds awesome! Will wait for more info about the storyline before making a character (I was thinking a Dothraki if the story fits, otherwise perhaps a Bravosi duelist..Oh, or a Dornish warrior!)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: kckolbe on January 01, 2014, 09:47:26 PM
This sounds delightful.  Would love to play.  Also, I recommend going pathfinder or, if using D&D, allowing Unearthed Arcana to make non magic or low magic options more prevalent.

That was the plan anyways. There is magic in Westeros that's certain but it's more rare (I would allow only spontaneous casters; no clerics nor wizards). Druids other hand need become spontaneous casters also.

Now, I read that in Westeros or in general in Game of Thrones manipulation of elements (like ladders made from fire or using fire magic) is common. But there are other magics like shadow, blood etc. Valkyria was a high magic culture but upon disaster most of magic stuff went very low (perhaps disaster was related to magic and magic was reduced as result).

So, it would rule off hand all valyrian steel to be a +1 weapons (mostly swords but axes or other weapons possible). Some blacksmiths who have no magic abilities can make valyrian steel (through a feat).

Anyways, to compensate that defense value is presented as means increase your AC than enchantments. However when you face something magical creatures with magic DR and if you don't have valyrian steel, said encounters are higher in CR when counting XP.

Also I am open to ideas what rules apply to make setting to work. So far I thought to use Master class in place of bard or as general class meant for any 'professional guy' sort approach. Just need backward engineer the pathfinder version to 3.5 edition (if we go that edition). Also Knight class from PHB II would be good choice as core class also.

Anyways, we have interest and general folks want pathfinder or do not have preference (or if go 3.5 edition DnD need quite bit house ruling).

Quote from: Faeli on January 01, 2014, 11:08:47 PM
Are we going to be allied or is this going to have several plotlines going on?

What kind of Games of Thrones game it would be if there would not be multiple plot lines going on :P. As said all noble houses are available to be served, be sworn swords or bastards etc. Or join Nightwatch or be half-sister to Daenarys Talgaryen etc. So you need 'pick a side' of speaking between choosing Stark or Lannister and roleplay as events unfold. As said events can change and nothing stops your char having plots kick Geofrey onto nuts and take iron throne yourself. Overall though there is going to be separated threads but if folks group up or pick 'same side' of conflicts then they likely stick in same thread than all having one own thread. It is easier for me as GM if majority would be in cluster of small groups (either being same house or being close associates etc).

But you start as 1st level chars while there are many canon chars who are between 3-10th level.

Anyways, I thought introduce following feat to present house connection with the char (so they can be house members if they decide to be knight or a fighter or ranger etc). As note a noble gets this following feat as bonus feat in 1st level. I can allow you take this feat and take another noble house (example vassal house loyal to Stark but need discuss exact details of benefit and skill involved).

Favored in House
You are in good standing in one seven kingdoms great noble houses and it gives you benefits. Your member of the house either through blood or through marriage or adoption.
Benefit: It varies what house you take and also gives minor skill boost in key skill related to that house.
Arryn of the Eyrie: Being warden of the east has given you cautious and observant nature. You gain Guerrilla Scout as bonus feat and you gain any masterwork medium armor for free.
Baratheon: If you come from King's Landing branch, the life in King Robert's court had taught you to have fortitude to remain in pace with king who was very lively sort and ran several parties. You gain great fortitude as bonus feat and gain +2 bonus to diplomacy.
If you come from Dragonstone branch, you are accustomed to sea travel in Storm's End. You gain Sea Legs as bonus feat and gain +2 bonus to profession:sailor checks.
Baelish: As noble from riverlands your accustomed to travel and combat by on a horse. You gain Mounted Combat as bonus feat and +2 bonus to ride checks.
Bolton: Coming from a noble house with grim and dreadful reputation it's easier for inspire fear than trust in others. You gain Dreadful Wrath as bonus feat and +2 bonus to intimidate skill.
Greyjoy: Ancient legacy of piracy and sea faring from Iron Islands runs in your veins. You gain Scourge of the Seas as bonus feat (once qualified) and +2 bonus to profession:sailor checks.
Stark: As being one wardens of the north and regular friend to Night's Watch you have heritage of guardianship and as watcher of north to follow. You gain Guerrilla Scout as bonus feat and gain +2 bonus to survival check.
Lannisters: Coming from wealthiest house gives you lots influence and power in all parts of Seven Kingdoms. You gain 3,000gp extra starting money and also gain +2 bonus to Favor ability use. If lacking Favor ability you gain +2 to diplomacy instead.
Martell: Blood of noble dornishmen burn in quick and fierce passion and unbroken will reinforces your resolve. You gain Force of Personality as bonus feat and gain +2 to initiative.
Targaryen: Blood of the dragons give their mystical blessing to you. You get Dragontouched feat and fire resistance equal to 3 x per draconic feat you have (does not stack with Draconic Resistance feat).
Tyrell: As raised by a very wealthy and also very militant family in the south has given you both grace and strength. You gain Persuasion as bonus feat and get masterwork chain shirt barding and heavy warhorse for free.

kckolbe

I think I'll play an archer type, unsure whether ranger or rogue though.  My goal was for him to be something of a trick shooter/marksman type rather than rapid firing, so no rapid shot.  Any suggestions on feats or class?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Well, I would recommend for rogue backgrounded archer a Order of the Bow Initiate. Because the extended precision (capstone ability at 10th level) also works on sneak attacks and class specializes in making single but very powerful shot.

Then just take feats like Ranged Disarm, Ranged Pin, Ranged Sunder, Deadeye Shot, Keen-Eared Scout (for those 'shoot while blind' scenarios), Penetrating Shot.

All above feats do not depend hit many targets as you can but make singular powerful shots and some are tricksy. Overall though if taking PHB II ranger variant (distracting attack, makes targets treated as flanked by you by bow shot on them) and dead eye shot give good idea to rapid fire to single target (single shot; distract and normal dmg, second shot; sneak attack dmg).

Also Greater Manyshot feat is cheesy; as it would allow fire with single standard action multiple arrows which land on different targets (or singular target if you so wish) while moving (so shooting on run is good feat for 'skirmish' sort firing or mounted archery for more mobile sort archery).

Edit; Also added simply profile code tags in first post. So you can start flesh out your char. Anyways you can use anime/drawn picture or realistic photo/pic at your preference.

Laughing Hyena

Gotta play me some knight. So what am I to do… Whom to pick as a house.

TheHangedOne

I might play as either some sort of alchemist/sorcerer type, or perhaps a 'Storm' swordsman;maybe as a mercenary bodyguard, if there are any players wanting to be a noble, and wanting that safety.

Edit: By the way, how are you handling Valyrian steel weapons? Would those things be the equivalent of +1 weapons, because of the magic?
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

godfang

So it's official that we're playing pathfinder yes? I was thinking a Dornish Paladin or Cavalier

Laughing Hyena

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheHangedMan on January 02, 2014, 07:47:50 PM
Edit: By the way, how are you handling Valyrian steel weapons? Would those things be the equivalent of +1 weapons, because of the magic?

If you would had read more detail my posts, among my ramblings I did mention that all Valyrian steel weapons are +1 weapons at minimum. Some may be +2 or have exotic enchantment but most cases they are +1 weapons.

So in short there are magic items but they are permanent kind most cases. Some potions may be around but no scrolls nor wands. Spontaneous casters only and max spell level cap (but not caster level) is 4th level. So no teleport spell for sorcerers example. But fireball is possible.

Quote from: godfang on January 02, 2014, 08:30:06 PM
So it's official that we're playing pathfinder yes? I was thinking a Dornish Paladin or Cavalier

It's still kind on 'air' yet do we use pathfinder but we likely use Unearthed Arcana rulings even on pathfinder. Which means defense value and damage reduction from armor.

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on January 02, 2014, 06:38:33 PM
Gotta play me some knight. So what am I to do… Whom to pick as a house.

Knight as the knight class from PHB II or fighter? Either option works. Although if going pathfinder cavalier presents usual good base for Westeros knight (although you can be pure knight and called Ser). Anyways if going to knight, you can check favored in house feat what I posted before and see which benefits suit you (or check wiki for details of the great houses or lesser houses).

TheHangedOne

Ahh, seems like I managed to miss that chunk. My apologies, I'll be more attentive in the future.

Personally, I have more experience with D&D, but would like a chance to learn a bit more about Pathfinder through play. I'm familiar with it, just haven't had a chance to actually play it.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Zaer Darkwail

Well, here is useful link for all pathfinder stuff; http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

It should help get you started. But as said I want bit firm clarification what folks prefer most. The 3.5 edition has it's own charms and rich variety of supplements and feats and unearthed arcana which brings low magic viable, as pathfinder is less known (although more accessible than 3.5 edition material for new folk).

Faeli

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on January 02, 2014, 10:15:23 PM
Well, here is useful link for all pathfinder stuff; http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

It should help get you started. But as said I want bit firm clarification what folks prefer most. The 3.5 edition has it's own charms and rich variety of supplements and feats and unearthed arcana which brings low magic viable, as pathfinder is less known (although more accessible than 3.5 edition material for new folk).

Me love pathfinder!

kckolbe

I would prefer pathfinder just for the archetypes feature, especially since magic users are rare. 

Intro Thread

RubySlippers

I'm mulling this game over but don't want to be a noble, maybe a talented commoner who is rising in her station. I'm thinking a Bard using the option on the 3.5 resource on-line for a Divine Bard and an Archetype would draw her power from a divine or non-divine source (pact with something infernal can fit).

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, we use pathfinder then. I will edit first post char gen to present that (somewhere today).

RubySlippers: We do not use a bard at all. We use Master class instead (in Westeros Maestre's are Master class people and minstrels are usually experts or Masters and skilled blacksmiths are masters etc).

RubySlippers

Oh Master looks awesome for lots of options I'm thinking a professional focusing on healing - heal and various related professions I suspect in the setting this would be far more likely than a magical healer. And who here would not like to be friends with a Physician. Would Craft be useful to make medicines for general use? Thinking on my options here.

Zaer Darkwail

Craft:Alchemy along with Profession:Herbalism would give you access to make wound healing ointments but also poisons and drugs. But then again any good physician knows how make all three (drugs can be good pain killers and poison when needing patient to pass away painlessly as possible but also quickly).

However there is no knacks which add 'more healing' but it would not be far fetch to add 'Physician' knacks which improve tending folks who are ill.

RubySlippers

There are feats and traits, I can make this work but she won't be much of a warrior. And she can get knacks overtime to make her more professional with staff and such.

I assume healers are well regarded and she would follow a strong neutral code of ethics.